Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi Cycling offers Thursday 24 Sept

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

mrcheez wrote: »
    Regarding the Garmin...

- can it be unmounted easily for charging (via USB for example)? I.e. Twist it on/off from a mount say?

- Does the Time of Day clock remain accurate in a similar fashion to a radio clock? (And illuminate at night easily?)

Apart from the clock and knowing my current speed/distance travelled, that would probably be the main functionality I'd use on it.. Although i'm sure the gps tracking would be a fun gimmick :)

I have a k-edge mount and it twists off and on easily. Expensive mount but worth it.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/k-edge-computer-mount-for-garmin-edgeforerunner/?curr=EUR&dest=6

Yes the time of day remains accurate. The garmin illuminates but I've never cycled at night to see how good it is.

I use it for uploading cycles to Strava - gives you loads of information as you said, as well as heart-rate (need to purchase the chest strap separately), metres climbed etc..

I'd definitely recommend it - great piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Masala wrote: »
    I have a 200 and the clock does not appear on the screen as u cycle. In fact it's impossible to use it to tell the time... The feature is well buried. Don't know if 500 have same problem. Very silly of Garmin to have left this out of main screen
    stecleary wrote: »
    I'm talking 510 here but there's very little difference in the 500
    You can change the screen to show (too) many different things. Time of day being one of them
    Same goes for the 500 as the 510 in this case. Looking quickly at the manual for the 200 it looks like there is no scope in them to configure the display fields, which probably makes sense seeing as there is no option for HR, cadence, power meter or any peripherals basically - there are less fields to display data in, so they probably just preset the whole thing. That being said, I'm surprised to hear that there is no "page" of fields which includes the wall clock time??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Edge 500 has fully customisable screens. You have a plethora of data (if you have the HR/Power Meter etc) to choose from and any data can be placed on any screen. Up to 8 pieces of data on a screen, or just one or anywhere in between.

Time of day is one of them, and accurate enough. I haven't checked it against the atomic clock or anything but what sort of level of accuracy do you need when out on the bike?

It has a light which can be set to be always on or comes on when a button is pressed.

It comes with a mount in the box, (although I'm not sure in what box the aldi one is coming in and it doesn't state it on the deal) which is a half turn mount, very secure. I have had it for a few years and its never come loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

The 500 gets the date/time from the GPS/Satellites every time you turn it on and it finds GPS.

I'd imagine most Garmins with GPS do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Time of day is one of them, and accurate enough. I haven't checked it against the atomic clock or anything but what sort of level of accuracy do you need when out on the bike?

Just very handy when cycling to work or somewhere I need to be at a specific time. I've had bike-clocks before that gradually lost minutes over the months (by the end of the year one of them was out 10 minutes!).

I bought a radio clock in Aldi last year and have it in the kitchen, invaluable piece of kit. I use it to fix my house alarm time every few months.

• Advertisement

Just very handy when cycling to work or somewhere I need to be at a specific time. I've had bike-clocks before that gradually lost minutes over the months (by the end of the year one of them was out 10 minutes!).

I bought a radio clock in Aldi last year and have it in the kitchen, invaluable piece of kit. I use it to fix my house alarm time every few months.

Out of interest. Is that radio clock manually set or is it one of those Internet Radio yokes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Out of interest. Is that radio clock manually set or is it one of those Internet Radio yokes?

I think when he says radio clock he means one that self corrects based on radio frequencies

Something like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_clock

Probably syncs with the clock in Germany as it's from Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭otterj

is there any water proof pants on sale in aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

Damn I just bought the Garmin 200 in Halfords for €90 a few months back.. Think I'll go for the 500 now.. Excellent value.

It worth the upgrade if you would not be using HR or cadence and do not intend to use either in the future. I have a 200 for about 3 years now. Would it be advisable to get the 500?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

otterj wrote: »
    is there any water proof pants on sale in aldi?

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭darka78

I do use Runtastic Pro version for cycling it shows: Total journey time, Avg. Pace, Avg. Speed, Max. Speed, Elevation Gain-Loss, Max. Eleveation, Dehydration, Avg. Heart rate, Max. Heart Rate, it also updates on Distance, Pace, Calories burned every kilometer and Heart rate zones(if it goes up or down) while you riding on voice. Is it worth it for me to get Garmin Edge 500? what other information I would get over the Runtastic app.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Might invest in the bibs , i'll need them for commuting and i don't want to waste my nice Castellis on commuting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I see they're selling off the old Wired cycling computers from the last offer in Aldi Bray for €3, thats a very good price for a cheap workhorse if all you want is a speedo and an odo, mine lasts forever on one battery, very accurate speed and distance and its cheap enough that I can leave it on the bike and not care if anything happens to it, which it never does anyway, picked one up as a spare but there were a few left in the glass cabinet...

Thargor wrote: »
    I see they're selling off the old Wired cycling computers from the last offer in Aldi Bray for €3, thats a very good price for a cheap workhorse if all you want is a speedo and an odo, mine lasts forever on one battery, very accurate speed and distance and its cheap enough that I can leave it on the bike and not care if anything happens to it, which it never does anyway, picked one up as a spare but there were a few left in the glass cabinet...

Hmm don't know, I'd be missing the illumination during winter cycling, plus I like my accurate clocks. Rechargeable battery is nice too. :)

I don't leave that bike anywhere outside so not too worried about having expensive gear on it. I have a heavy aluminium bike for my precarious inner-city Dublin trips.

Now to see if there are any Aldi €10-off vouchers in this weekend's papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hmm don't know, I'd be missing the illumination during winter cycling, plus I like my accurate clocks. Rechargeable battery is nice too. :)

Now to see if there are any Aldi €10-off vouchers in this weekend's papers.
    Clocks accurate enough, no loss in 6-8 months on mine anyway, never saw the need for illumination on one tbh, only time I look at the speedo is downhill and I dont do much of that in Winter. I mainly value it for just always being there and not having to care about it like a Cateye or a Garmin.

Aldi and Lidl vouchers finished a week ago, no more according to Bargain Alerts, probably a few at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

50L light for a tenner would be a decent backup light to have in your bag. I'm not absolutely sold on LIDL/ALDI clothes. Decent enough if you don't want to use your expensive gear commuting, but they do wear out quickly and the fit/trim is never as good as the more expensive kit (obviously). So if your commute is long, the more expensive kit might be worth it in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Anyone tried the waterproof socks? Would it better to got extra for seal skins?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

seamus wrote: »
    50L light for a tenner would be a decent backup light to have in your bag. I'm not absolutely sold on LIDL/ALDI clothes. Decent enough if you don't want to use your expensive gear commuting, but they do wear out quickly and the fit/trim is never as good as the more expensive kit (obviously). So if your commute is long, the more expensive kit might be worth it in the long run

These "performance cycling jerseys" are actually very good and much better than the normal aldi / lidl stuff. Nice fabric and nice fit. IMO they're well worth the €35 (assuming they're the same as those they had last time). Having said that, they didn't seem to sell too well last time and were pretty soon available from the bargain rail at €25. I bought one at that price and then another a couple of weeks later for €15. And then a few weeks after that the missus bought me one for €10!:D

darka78 wrote: »
    I do use Runtastic Pro version for cycling it shows: Total journey time, Avg. Pace, Avg. Speed, Max. Speed, Elevation Gain-Loss, Max. Eleveation, Dehydration, Avg. Heart rate, Max. Heart Rate, it also updates on Distance, Pace, Calories burned every kilometer and Heart rate zones(if it goes up or down) while you riding on voice. Is it worth it for me to get Garmin Edge 500? what other information I would get over the Runtastic app.?

It depends what your phone capabilities are?

At this stage most sensors such as HRM and Cadence/speed are available to phones via bluetooth.

If your phone has a movement(?) sensor and a barometric altimeter then there is no benefit in the 500 bar the Edge 500 has a much, much longer battery time. About 15-18 hours or so, depending on what's connected to it.

Phones without both the mentioned sensors just use GPS data/time to guess if you have "paused" and map data for elevation and stuff.

Strava, for example, robs you of up to 20% of your climbing I have found when you don't have a barometric altimeter.

If you are happy with your current set up then work away.

That all aside the Edge 500 at that price is a savage bargain! It's only real down side in this age where people need their information needs sated in real time, is that you have to connect it to a PC to upload your data. You can still use your phone though and use the edge to upload to Garmin connect if you're a total stats whore, like myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/garmin-edge-compare.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

seamus wrote: »

On the contrary, the Pro range is excellent, I have one of the windproof jerseys for 2 years now. It's my favourite Jersey (I also have castelli, hincapie and Santini jerseys which are good but not as good as the Pro Jersey) it still looks like new despite having been worn hundreds of times and been washed a similar number of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Any opinions on the overshoes please?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

I have size Medium. I'm 5'11" 32" waist, 32 inside Sean, 38-40cm chest and weigh 74kg. They're ideal fit.

oo-errr missus!

This is actually pretty cool and another plus for getting the Garmin over the cheaper bike computers...

I'm always finding I have to use the sat nav on my phone which can be a bit of a hassle as the battery tends to run out on the reverse leg.

The only downside of the Garmin approach, of course, is that you need to have previously uploaded the route to the device via a PC, but still damned handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭darka78

It depends what your phone capabilities are?

At this stage most sensors such as HRM and Cadence/speed are available to phones via bluetooth.

If your phone has a movement(?) sensor and a barometric altimeter then there is no benefit in the 500 bar the Edge 500 has a much, much longer battery time. About 15-18 hours or so, depending on what's connected to it.

Phones without both the mentioned sensors just use GPS data/time to guess if you have "paused" and map data for elevation and stuff.

Strava, for example, robs you of up to 20% of your climbing I have found when you don't have a barometric altimeter.

If you are happy with your current set up then work away.

That all aside the Edge 500 at that price is a savage bargain! It's only real down side in this age where people need their information needs sated in real time, is that you have to connect it to a PC to upload your data. You can still use your phone though and use the edge to upload to Garmin connect if you're a total stats whore, like myself.

Thank you for reply. My phone has: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass and for HRM I use special belt and connect via ANT+/bluetooth. All I missing is speed cadense sensor for accurate speed reading? Also I am not sure about your mentioned barometric altimeter but I guess can live without it. My phones battery still strong after 3-4 hours cycling so I guess Garmin Edge 500 will not be much use for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Thank you for reply. My phone has: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass and for HRM I use special belt and connect via ANT+/bluetooth. All I missing is speed cadense sensor for accurate speed reading? Also I am not sure about your mentioned barometric altimeter but I guess can live without it. My phones battery still strong after 3-4 hours cycling so I guess Garmin Edge 500 will not be much use for me.

But you either only get to see the data after the ride if the phone is in your pocket, or you have the phone on the bike itself.

If in your pocket then the advantage of the Garmin is that you now have all that information at your fingertips during the cycle itself.

If you have the phone on your bike then you risk it getting damaged more easily in a crash, the exact time when you actually need a working phone.

But from a data collection point of view you are correct, the Garmin doesn't offer anything that some other cheaper computers do or even phones. What it beings is that is works, it works well, easy to use and has everything you need on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Lawdie wrote: »
    Anyone tried the waterproof socks? Would it better to got extra for seal skins?

I've never had sealskinZ but very happy with the Aldi version and will be buying a second pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daithi2004

Can you use the Garmin Edge 500 on Strava?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Daithi2004 wrote: »
    Can you use the Garmin Edge 500 on Strava?

Yes, either upload the file manually or upload to Garmin Connect and it can sync from there to Strava

Advertisement