Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

Nothing to do with BTW, but that's only technically allowed if it's given to all employees. Our company was audited on this, and because they were doing it thru what amounts to a voluntary, salary sacrifice, they were pulled up on it. They stopped the whole scheme over it. It's worth €1,000 a year now, and we can't avail of it any more. 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭andyd12

Are bikes bought through the scheme from chain reaction cycles/wiggle exempt from import charges?

Do we have to buy from someone on the supplier list?

Bikediscount.de offer real well spec'd Radon bikes. Wondering does my employer have to stick to the official list

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I know that they (CRC) used to say something to the effect that the price you see is the price you pay but I can't see it listed on their website - their Brexit FAQs page still exists but I don't think it is linked to from the rest of the site.

I do see this on the CRC T&C page:

If your delivery address is outside of the UK, you may be required to pay import duties and taxes when your CRC order reaches your destination country. These and any additional charges for customs clearance are your responsibility. All orders are fulfilled and despatched from the UK.

Delivery costs will be charged in addition; such additional charges are clearly displayed where applicable and included in the 'Grand Total'.

As for a "supplier list" - there is none unless your company limit you to one. Even CRC outside of the EU facilitate the scheme. If your employer is happy to buy from BikeDiscount then that's fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can't see why bikes bought through the scheme would be exempt from import charges.

as to whether you can buy through someone on the supplier list, you can buy from anyone your employer will allow you buy from, as long as it's a retail purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

You had me in a bit of a panic for the moment as I'm waiting Godot like for an Elite trainer to appear on the Fastway tracking page, however looking at their delivery page (https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/customer-service/my-delivery-faqs#will-i-be-charged-customs-charges-and-how-much-will-these-be) the have the following:

[b]Will I be charged Customs charges and how much will these be?[/b]

Items shipped to the EU and Norway

No customs or import taxes will be charged

[b]Will my local Value Added Tax (VAT) or Goods & Services Taxes (GST) be included in the product price?[/b]

Items shipped to the EU and Norway

The relevant rate of local VAT will be applied based on the product(s) included within your order, the VAT will be displayed in the product price and no further charges relating to VAT will be incurred.

So what you see is what you pay - they deal with Revenue and submit the Irish VAT (well, hopefully they do!)

Also, I didn't get charged for delivery contrary to what the "Brexit FAQs" page says, so I would assiume that's now out of date

• Advertisement

Cool - I went looking for that note yesteray and obviously didn't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sandy2000

Sorry for another question but couldnt see the answer in the thread. I had a bike on order through the CTW scheme but it's been delayed massively so having to cancel it. My employer uses BTW and they had started salary deductions already. They're claiming that the BTW salary sacrifice cannot be cancelled and repaid. Does anyone have any idea if that's right? Seems odd that the scheme applies even if the bike ordered doesnt actually show up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the BTW has been cancelled, have your employers been refunded the money? if they have and they are still applying a salary sacrifice, they've basically pocketed the money which should be your salary.

hard to tell what a way out of this is for you though, you need to talk to your employer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

had they paid the supplier yet?

I've had a bike on order since August but I paid the deposit myself and won't setup the C2W payments until it arrives.

Are your employers using one of the middlemen companies who do nothing to help either side really but still take a massive cut? It is possible that they have been paid but not yet paid the bike shop as the bike has not arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It can be if it hasn't been paid out yet, if it has they would have to wait until it comes back to them. Did the bike shop get the money?

The money might be in the middlemens account or the bike shop have already taken it. Find out where the money is. Legally it should go back to your employer and then they refund your salary sacrifice, fairly simple. If the bike shop have it in their hand, they may offer you the illegal option of cash into your hand. Not illegal for them but it is illegal for you (tax avoidance).

They aren't exempt, CRC just has them included.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sandy2000

Thanks everyone. I suspect the money is still with the middlemen that my employer uses. Theyre the ones claiming it can't be refunded. Ive queried it anyway so hopefully it will get sorted.

You should be able to get the thieving feckers middlemen to change the retail outlet

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

I'm looking at getting my first BTW this year. I can tell you most bike shops I've spoken to already absolutely hate the middlemen and the 12.5% they take. But also how they want to put them on credit and keep them in backlog. 2 companies refuse to go with them. One said they will go with them but I have to pay the 12.5% surcharge. Apparently a new provider is entering at a 6.5% charge.

My company uses TravelHub - Bike to Work. I don't know if that is owned by one4all - which is vehemently hated.

Anywhoo,

Trek Domane AL3 €1,199 vs Giant Contend AR 3 €1,279. Any other options I should look at? apparently a few Trek's coming to Ireland this week.

My company uses TravelHub - Bike to Work. 

Check with your company and explain the situation to them. Once my HR dept realised, they were happy to allow payments directly to the LBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Its tricky getting a bike now due to stock issues as some employers will not pay for the bike unless you physically have it yourself. That means, if you order a bike now and it arrives november for example, you notify employer and they start taking huge payments out as it has to be paid by end of year, ie. December.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's 12 months, not the end of the year to pay it off unless your employer has specific rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

Different payrolls have implemented their own rules.

In my place, it's paid over 11 months, January to November.

In my wife's place, payments are made over 12 months, but there's a six week window in the year when they will process the payments.

I haven't heard of employers not releasing the money until you actually have the bike before, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Has any civil servant managed to purchase an ebike priced more than €1500 through Peoplepoint? They say they'll reject any invoices more than €1500 so that would exclude pretty much, well, all ebikes?

just get the bike shop to issue a split invoice - one for €1500 and one for the balance you'll be paying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

why is their a shortage of bikes??

A combination of factories having been closed during various lockdowns, and a spike in bike sales, due in part to the same lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

More customers for less product. -Has that not always been a recipe for price hikes?

yep, if you'd sell 10,000 bikes at €1000, and 5000 bikes at €1,200, and 1,000 bikes at €1,400 - and you only have 1000 bikes available anyway, you up the price to €1,400 and sell them.

and that's facilitated by your competitor only having 1000 bikes to sell too.

I'm starting to get a bit peed off looking at the likes of Kingspan and billionaire heirs to food companies raking in even more billions simply cuz they are hiking the sh1t out of prices with no extra costs to themselves and just saying "Uh, brexit and covid ya know"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Oh for sure there's an element of opportunism at play here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Ok, my cube agree c62 has been cancelled until August meaning i will miss the season after waiting 8 months for a bike.

I used my ctw to pay 1500 off the bike. The shop has been paid. Is it cheeky asking for my 1500 back to add to the 1500 i have and try my luck elsewhere or go 2nd hand? Can it be done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Double post

Advertisement