Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight of the Conchords - Olympia, Wed 5th, Thurs 6th May

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

cson wrote: »
    Heading tonight and have reserved seats in the Stalls so wondering what time to head down there at? Id the queue mad or anything to get in - would we be in there in plenty of time if we were at the Olympia for 7.30pm?

Definately. Once you have proper reserved seats you're grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Joe_Dull wrote: »

But oh dear Christ the screaming, dancing idiot I was sitting beside nearly ruined the gig for me. Near the end I felt like laughing would condone her behaviour somehow :mad:

Were you about 4 rows from the front on the left hand side near a girl with brown hair, glasses and a red hat? That girl was a complete fúcking moron. She spent the whole night screaming, throwing her arms around, taking off her hat, messing her hair about, putting her hat back on, screaming some more, then her and equally obnoxious tool of a mate spent about 30 minutes taking pictures of themselves while the gig was going on. I wasn't even that close to them but I'd bet they managed to ruin the experience for a lot of people. Word of advice girls...you do not have any more right to be there than anyone else because you "loike OH EM GEEE love the conchords" and have a kooky pair of glasses and a stupid hat, throwing your hair around like that is not in anyway attractive and made you look like you have a lice problem, and finally neither Brett nor Jemaine are going to notice you and fall instantly in love so sit the fúck down and shut the fúck up.

The gig was great. I've seen David O'Doherty a few times and he's always good.

The
    costume change
    was hilarious! And I agree with others that reckon they were pretty shattered, Brett in particular, but overall it was fantastic. The rapport between them onstage is great. The crazy tour stories..:P

As always, the Irish audience never fails to disappoint with their constant need to use the toilet 'cause they tried to shove as many pints down their neck as possible before the show. God forbid people have one or two beforehand and actually see all of the show. Nah, can't have that. Afterall, if they're not hammered they won't have their super heckling powers making them funnier than the people we all came to see, which as we all know makes the show 100% more enjoyable....tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Did anyone notice if there were tickets for sale outside the gig last night? Hoping to get luck and buy two tonight outside. Or were scalpers only asking if people were selling tickets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

whizzbang wrote: »
    Did anyone notice if there were tickets for sale outside the gig last night? Hoping to get luck and buy two tonight outside. Or were scalpers only asking if people were selling tickets?

the guy in front of me was texting his mate (I'm nosey like that!) saying that he sold his ticket for face value to a random guy who proceeded to buy him beer all night. I sold a couple for face value to a stranger myself. I saw a couple of guys with signs - might be harder tonight than last night, but worth a try I'd say.

anyone know how much the scalpers were buying/selling for as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Really enjoyed the gig, but as someone else said, I knew most of the songs inside out so most of the laughs came from the 'talking sections'... Didn't mind the heckling, mostly because Bret and Jemaine are really good at working with it, and it wasn't like it got out of hand:
    'They're tixting each other, with suggistions: "Say balls. That'll git a good reiction"
    :D

David O'Doherty was great too, wish he'd played more songs though
    (I was the guy at the front who said he'd usually have a bath btw - I was lying, I don't even have a bath in my flat!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Sinfonia wrote: »
    David O'Doherty was great too, wish he'd played more songs though
    (I was the guy at the front who said he'd usually have a bath btw - I was lying, I don't even have a bath in my flat!)

Ah, but it led to some good jokes, so smart thinking... :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Were you about 4 rows from the front on the left hand side near a girl with brown hair, glasses and a red hat? That girl was a complete fúcking moron.

She was a f*cking tool, stupid b*tch was like that for the whole gig. She was sitting about 6 rows in front of me to the left so couldn't help but notice her everytime she started throwing her hands in the air and screeching.

Great gig other than the hecklers in the crowd. I want Jermaine's
    scarf!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Brilliant show last night. Absolutely terrific. I was worried because like most people, I know most of their songs word for word, but little changes which they made then made them even funnier for me. And the talking sections were priceless. As others have said, the hecklers and people constantly getting up (especially the way the seating was which meant if one person got up, half the row had to get up) were all annoying but luckily didn't detract too much from the show.

Wish I was going tonight.
    I could have brought them some muffins
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Oh, also was disappointed that the toy piano wasn't used, except for Bret to put his cup on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Another thing, there was the inevitable request last night from someone in the audience that Bret and Jemaine take off their clothes. They're not pieces of meat there for our gratification. They're performers, and damn good performers at that (some of the songs they sang last night were breathtaking, FOTC are fantastic musicians with great voices :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Do they pick on the audience or encourage audience participation? I hope not :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

WindSock wrote: »

Nah. They didn't have much choice on the audience participation score last night though :P
    MrSparkles wrote:
    She was a f*cking tool, stupid b*tch was like that for the whole gig. She was sitting about 6 rows in front of me to the left so couldn't help but notice her everytime she started throwing her hands in the air and screeching.

Yeah we were in row K on the left hand side. At one point her friend was standing up for about 3 minutes recording them. Security nowhere to be seen, which was pretty brutal. I'm amazed the people around her didn't do something. I most definitely wouldn't have held my tongue.

There were 8 seats about 2 rows in front of us that were empty until David O'Doherty was halfway through his set. Then the guy in the group that was in the middle of the row must have got up to use the loo about 4 times. He was the one that roared "Play some Prince!" right before they did Business Time. I just don't get why people fill themselves full of beer, knowing they're going to have to go to the loo multiple times and miss parts of the gig. Plenty of late bars open on a Wednesday, do your boozing afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 daresie

Were you about 4 rows from the front on the left hand side near a girl with brown hair, glasses and a red hat? That girl was a complete fúcking moron.

She spilled beer on me edging her way in because she was late for the start. I swear she was like 5 hen parties rolled up into one girl with big glasses and a ridiculous hat.

DOD told her off for texting during the show - so she just nattered loudly with her friends for the rest of his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭cson

Did anyone care to tell her to STFU?

Christ I hope we don't have anyone like that tonight.

Nah. They didn't have much choice on the audience participation score last night though :P
    tbh wrote: »
    nope.

Cool. :cool:

I'm safe so. Hope I amn't stuck behind Mr. Biggest Head in Ireland though.

Leave the big headed alone you! :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I missed out on getting tickets; i might head down in a few hours and see if I can get 2. What is face value for tickets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 elledee

As others have said, the hecklers and people constantly getting up (especially the way the seating was which meant if one person got up, half the row had to get up) were all annoying but luckily didn't detract too much from the show.

I'm 7 months pregnant and made sure I got an aisle seat so that I wouldn't disturb anyone if I had to urgently use the loo (happens a lot when you're pregnant, you know) But instead I was up and down the entire show because some dude about 6 seats in kept getting up. It was pretty uncomfortable, annoying and really embarrassing when the guys said something about people getting up so much as I was stepping into the aisle.

But despite the lameness of the crowd, the show was fab. My cheeks hurt from laughing so much.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I missed out on getting tickets; i might head down in a few hours and see if I can get 2. What is face value for tickets?

€39.20 plus booking fee. So I'd say around €45 would be face value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

I'm going, but I'm in the back row so you're safe. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I managed to get 2 tickets today... Going to see them in the UK later this month anyway but was pretty jammy to get tics for tonights gig :-)

cson wrote: »
    Leave the big headed alone you! :p

This chap here is onto it...
    whizzbang wrote: »
    I'm going, but I'm in the back row so you're safe. ;)

Good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

Goldenlady wrote: »
    brother looking for tickets, any where i could pick them up???? I know its very short notice!!:)

Stand around outside the gig for half an hour beforehand. You'll see the touts coming upto people and offering them low-low prices trying to convince them no-one will buy their tickets. They refuse and when he's left them, you go over and offer face value and bob's your uncle, you're in. Works most of the time. There's always someone who's friend couldn't make it or whatever. Don't be afraid to go on your own either and then you'll almost definitely get a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Orlee wrote: »
    @ blastman

DOD was on at 8:15 for a good half an hour, maybe more and he was fantastic. I wasn't looking forward to him after I heard Kirsten wasn't going to be there but he was well worth it! FOTC came on at 9:15

Have you got proper seats? We were in the unreserved seating in the upper circle so I was queuing from about 6:30pm. Managed to get deadly seats at the front of the section so it was well worth it cause the view from the back is appalling!

The banter between the lads was brilliant, despite the embarrassing haggling. They did seem a little tired and unprepared but I think that added to the whole thing. It felt like they were being real every so often :)

I so wish I could go again tonight ... Anyone need a date?
    I do need a date but I've only got one ticket, sadly ;)

Have a seat in the stalls, it's supposed to be restricted view :confused: but hopefully it won't be too bad. Better than no view!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Tenks

What an AMAZING performance from the lads last night. Enjoyed every second of it, and I was surprised by how great Do'D was, and even how naturally funny Briiiit and Jermaine are. It was hard to believe how great their improvisation was.

Didn't play Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor, though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Brilliant gig.Really enjoyed it.I was in the nosebleed section and literally all I could see of DOD was his head but the way FOTC were positioned on the stage made it a lot easier to see them.I agree, people in the crowd were getting up ALL the time. Very annoying but from the sounds of it it wasn't as bad in the stalls as in front of the stage.

To the people looking for tickets, my friend couldn't make it at the last minute and we sold her ticket for face value to some fans holding "muthuckas need tickets" signs. I'd say if you turn up early and make it clear that you're a genuine fan and not a tout (and maybe do something to get people's attention, like the sign) you should get a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Heading in now. Can't wait! :)

Bringing a colostomy bag to save on those embarrassing trips to the loo. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

became ill and couldnt go tonight :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Gig was fantastic!!! Was well beyond my expectations... Going to see them again in London in 12 days n can't wait...

Advertisement