Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 World Championships host announcement on now

• 18-11-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭

LIVE here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRFa-F1NrE4

Holding my breath for the future of athletics over the next half hour, and hoping that the IAAF don't go down the same route as FIFA and pick Doha for the 2019 World Championships. Eugene looks great from a history and tradition point of view, but would require serious investment to upgrade facilities, and there is a lack of hotels nearby. Also the timing of evening sessions for European audiences could harm TV figures. Barcelona would be the best choice IMO, as they already have ready made infrastructure in place and I like the idea of bringing some field events into the city. Anywhere but Doha and its corruption and 40 degree days though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Doha proposing 28 Sep to 5 Oct. WAYYY too late to have a World Championships in my opinion. That's even later than the Sydney Olympics was.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Amazing what you can pull together, with wads of cash. :eek:
    Night marathon. :(

Doha are surely way over their allotted time here. They've been boring the pants off everyone for way too long at this stage.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They're up against two potentially fantastic host cities in Eugene and Barcelona, but who knows who has said/offered what to who...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

I know Doha has alot of cons but the DL this year impressed me. The fans seem to bring an extra dynamic to the sport which I think is badly missing from a general spectator standpoint in the sport as a whole (outside of the Olympics) the enthusiasm was infectious.

Oregon has a great knowledgeable population and appreciation of the sport and I appreciate what Vin Lananna has achieved in the area over the years but the infrastructure is just not there and I don't think it should be, its half the appeal of Track Town USA.

I can't see Madrid getting it due to Worlds being in London 2 years previous I think they will aim to base it somewhere as a marketing tool of the sport so I think Doha is most likely the favoured option

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

I know Doha has alot of cons but the DL this year impressed me. The fans seem to bring an extra dynamic to the sport which I think is badly missing from a general spectator standpoint in the sport as a whole (outside of the Olympics) the enthusiasm was infectious.

Oregon has a great knowledgeable population and appreciation of the sport and I appreciate what Vin Lananna has achieved in the area over the years but the infrastructure is just not there and I don't think it should be, its half the appeal of Track Town USA.

I can't see Barcelona getting it due to Worlds being in London 2 years previous I think they will aim to base it somewhere as a marketing tool of the sport so I think Doha is most likely the favoured option

ECOLII wrote: »

This year was the first time the DL looked to be sold out. Previous years was just rows and rows of empty seats. So clearly they have mastered the idea of filling a small 15-20,000 seater stadium for one evening of athletics. This does not translate into the ability to have a much larger stadium sold out for 9 days.

From a personal point of view, I hate the idea of having to run in Irish Nationals in early September, which will be the case if the Championships are held 28 Sep to 5 Oct! :pac:

Doha :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Disappointing.

It's all about money. It's ONLY about money. No concern for athletes, travelling fans or Qatar's migrant workforce.

• Advertisement

The voting was as follows:

First round: Doha - 12, Eugene - 9, Barcelona - 6 (Barcelona was eliminated).

Second round: Doha - 15, Eugene - 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ghost in Cratloe

Good to see Doha get the nod. I believe the right city won the hosting of this event. If I recall correctly the Europeans in Barcelona 2010 where remembered for their empty stadiums during the morning and evening sessions. Eugene far too small and a real lack of world class facilities.

Good to see Doha get the nod. I believe the right city won the hosting of this event. If I recall correctly the Europeans in Barcelona 2010 where remembered for their empty stadiums during the morning and evening sessions. Eugene far too small and a real lack of world class facilities.

First 2 evenings yes but by the Saturday night they were getting in excess of 40k into the stadium for evening session. That's euros also. Be far more appeal for the worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Crazy late in the year for a WC, running up the start of October? Surely that is going to screw up the rest of the season as nobody will want to peak too soon so will avoid early season competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ghost in Cratloe

pconn062 wrote: »
    Crazy late in the year for a WC, running up the start of October? Surely that is going to screw up the rest of the season as nobody will want to peak too soon so will avoid early season competition?

Yes many of the top athletes wont compete due to the timing clashing with the Berlin, Chi-town and New York marathons

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Eugene could be the Pre World Championships

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Why are we surprised? Athletics is like every sport, it has sold out along time ago.

Advertisement