Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which text editor do you use?

• 26-05-2013 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Just wanted to get an overview of which text editor people are using these days :) Hopefully not starting a flame war! :pac:

Might be useful to say what kind of development you do, also.

Maybe we can steer clear of the IDE vs. text editor debate, as it came up elsewhere and got a bit heated! I'm more interested in, for people who 'just' use a text editor, which do they use?

I'm a Ruby developer mostly, but pretty much for everything I use Sublime Text 2. If I'm working on something on a server directly, or for small changes where I'm already on the command line, I'll use Vim.

I'm still learning how to use Vim. I can do the basics handily enough now, but I don't know enough about it to be able to get much productivity out of it.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

ST2 for pretty much everything.

There's a recent similar thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

NotePad++

Find it to be the fastest for opening files so I use it by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I use Vim for OSX and Linux development quite a lot. Probably 80% of the time... I like Notepad++ for Windows but for the most part I stick within the bounds of Visual Studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Sublime Text 2. Decided to give it a go for a current project. It's just so...sexy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

notepad++ is a great all rounder, just discovered it a few months ago.

It's got some great auto formatting features for looking at scripts & xml.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

notepad++

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

notepad++
    vi
    eclipse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Notepad++, nano, and gedit in order of most to least usage. I'm also trying to get my head around Vim, but failing miserably :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Notepad++ as a default for pretty much any text files. Has an FTP plugin as well so it's useful for remote editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Notepad++ and VIM.
    Occasionally Notepad if I'm lazy and need that magic F5 functionality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Depends on what I'm doing but Sublime, VIM and IntelliJ covers everything.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

excluding IDE's I'm still using vi(m) & jEdit... I like that it's cross platform!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Vim, Eclipse (Testing Sublime @ the moment, still not sure...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Sublime 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

vim

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

xcode
    sublime
    vi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

ivimESC:wq

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭jmcc

On Linux, at the command line, 'joe'. On Windows, I have Dreamweaver for website code but I don't really write code on Windows.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

NotePad++ or nano on linux

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

sublime text 2 with Emmet installed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Notepad++ on Windows and vim on Linux.

Notepad++ is excellent, easy to use and setup. Vim takes a bit of getting use to but once you get the hang of it worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Notepad ++.
    I tried Sublime Text but I found two negatives that turned me off it.
    One is the cost if you want to license it.
    The second (and bigger for me) was the fact that you can't print from it. I know some people will argue that printing is old fashioned or not needed but I need it. So I had Sublime Text for work and then Notepad++ (or anything else) to copy text into to print. I gave up after doing that for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Always (g)vim, except when only vi is installed and I've no time to install vim.
    Mind you, if you took all the people who answered "vim" and looked at their setup, I don't think you'd find much commonality. At last count vim had 4500+ scripts for everything from tweaking colour schemes to making it into a fully fledged ide for several languages; and that's without even mentioning vim-vs-gvim...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

My main work would involve VS but for pumping out a python script, analysing log files etc it's Notepad++ all the way for me.

When I have to examine an issue with the build on Mac I find myself using Sublime Text, but I suppose I really should learn Vim or the likes...

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Just a lowly 2nd year Comp Sci. student here, but my setup is as follows:
    Sublime text 2 for everything from C to Scheme to Python on Windows
    Vim on Linux, mainly just for learning Django on my raspberry pi.
    VS and Eclipse for C# and Java respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

I don't do much coding at work but for personal stuff I use NotePad++ on Windows, Geany on Linux and Emacs for doing stuff directly on the server.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just use gedit, vi and vim mostly. I'll use an IDE given half a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Notepad2 - it's a drop in replacement for Windows Notepad. Does syntax highlighting, pretty much everything else needed in a coder's text editor, and loads as fast as system Notepad (very important to me).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Notepad++ on windows, vi on Linux.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

notepad++

Advertisement