Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are FF sincere or acting in the party's best interests?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

There are many many people in FF that want to serve their country, .

Your country is asking you kindly to leave the party and let it die - that was the resounding message from the last election - the only people who voted FF were die-hard FFers, not representative of the country.

Vincent Browne highlighting the issues surrounding MMs leadership - suggesting he should resign. The FF on the show rejecting that and supporting Martin.

So as a reform focused member, does MM have your support?

It is why I am sticking on in FF - to try and make a difference within the party so as it does end up having something to offer the country.

Why FF though, building a new party could make a difference and have something to offer the country. Why are you dead set on saving this husk of a party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Fianna Fail is a virus that is constantly mutating in order to survive. Dumping Bertie, all this need to reform politics bluster, if they did or said anything differently they'd be finished as a political entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

There are many many people in FF that want to serve their country, .

Your country is asking you kindly to leave the party and let it die - that was the resounding message from the last election - the only people who voted FF were die-hard FFers, not representative of the country.

Vincent Browne highlighting the issues surrounding MMs leadership - suggesting he should resign. The FF on the show rejecting that and supporting Martin.

Have you an opinion on Enda Kenny's judgement when he is doing business with Denis O'Brien?

Is this action for the good of the country?
    (Yes or No, please).

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭amovingstatue

no offence but FF have nothing to offer and should frankly disband. I see no talent in the party, it's just one big social club whose purpose is to promote itself, as are most political partys tbh.

I can't see any benefit to the country in the continued existence of this failed organisation.

And they expelled Beverley when it came to light the kind of services she was offering, only to allow her readmittance just a year later.

• Advertisement

Wider Road wrote: »
    Have you an opinion on Enda Kenny's judgement when he is doing business with Denis O'Brien?

(Yes or No, please).

Doing business? They were both invited to the same event.

I disagree with an invitation being extended to O'Brien as part of the diaspora.

If Enda was doing business with DOB then no it is not good for the country.

So Wider Road, what's your views on Bertie?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I don't really buy into that argument at all - FF recieved 17.5% of the first preference vote in the last GE. By your logic, should SF, the ULA and the likes disband?
    Why FF though, building a new party could make a difference and have something to offer the country. Why are you dead set on saving this husk of a party?

To be honest in the long run I think FF will still be prevalent within the Irish political system - I don't necessarily see the party as a hollow husk. If decent honest people do not remain in the party, advocating for reforms, then we will be having another Mahon report in a few decades time.

All the same though, I do not see a new political party out there. If one was created then I could see a lot of people from all political parties considering joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I am by no means a FF man and I have very little respect for the way they have handled them selves and what they have done to our country.

But the fact of the matter is that even though they were decimated in the last election they are still now the largest opposition party in this country and they are still a huge force to be reckoned with, they still have massive grass root support despite all that has gone on and I wouldn't be at all surprised too see them make huge gains come the next election as much as that saddens me!

Ithey are still a huge force to be reckoned with, they still have massive grass root support despite all that has gone on

that's kinda my point. It's what worries me. Despite all that's gone on, they still have supporters....who claim to be supporting them for the sake of the country (but every comment concerns what's best for FF)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

FF have a large membership base, 4 times more people are in it than Labour for example. I dont see them going away unfortunately.

As for the OP, FF dont care about reform. They only care about power. They will do anything to regain power, even if it means appearing to be ethical. I would not believe them though,never have, never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

There are people in Fianna Fáíl who, buoyed by the all the perma-voters they have, are arrogant enough to think that Fianna Fáil is the country and what's good for FF is always good for Ireland. So, in that sense they are sincere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

that's kinda my point. It's what worries me. Despite all that's gone on, they still have supporters....who claim to be supporting them for the sake of the country (but every comment concerns what's best for FF)

Yea I understand what you are trying to say, it is worrying but while they still have large support out there they wont be going anywhere and the old FF political family loyalties will probably come back into play and see them re-gaining a lot of there lost support from the previous election.

(Yes or No, please).

Doing business? They were both invited to the same event.

I disagree with an invitation being extended to O'Brien as part of the diaspora.

If Enda was doing business with DOB then no it is not good for the country.

Enda said that Ireland is open for business. Given that Denis O'Brien was with Enda, surely one must be wondering why our Taoiseach didn't stop it and will it happen again?
    It now looks like that with the last time FG were in govt they dealt in corruption (phone license) and are sending out Denis O'Brien, the guy that corrupted the phone licence, to tell us that we are open for business?
    Am I missing something?

[FG] are sending out Denis O'Brien, the guy that corrupted the phone licence, to tell us that we are open for business?

FG aren't sending him out. He was at the same event as Enda, I disagree with his invitation from whoever invited him. Enda was representing the government and Ireland, not FG. I'm not a FGer. If your point is that Enda being on the same podium as DoB is somehow equivalent to you or Martin or any FFer being in the same party as the 8 or more people chastised in the Mahon report, then your point is rubbish.

Am I missing something?

Quite obviously you are. A moral compass perhaps?

[FG] are sending out Denis O'Brien, the guy that corrupted the phone licence, to tell us that we are open for business?

FG aren't sending him out. He was at the same event as Enda, I disagree with his invitation from whoever invited him. Enda was representing the government and Ireland, not FG. I'm not a FGer. If your point is that Enda being on the same podium as DoB is somehow equivalent to you or Martin or any FFer being in the same party as the 8 or more people chastised in the Mahon report, then your point is rubbish.

Am I missing something?

Quite obviously you are. A moral compass perhaps?

Are you happy with Enda sharing a stage with Denis O'Brien?
    It's Yes or It's No!
    Please put your answer on the record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If it were on a FG stage or an organised FG event then yes, you can critise Enda, but it was organised by Irish American Chamber of Commerce, DoB was there as a business man, Enda as a representative of the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think MM and all the old guard should go and let fresh blood take over. Martin is a reminder of all that was wrong with the party in the past. FF made terrible mistakes in power and we are suffering for it now. But i dont see the point in blaming ordinary grassroots members for that. You all voted them in remember when they were promising what everyone wanted to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I can't see the party doing too well under Martin either. And to answer the op's question FF always put the party first

Every political party acts in the their own best interests in order to gain power and votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

COYW wrote: »
    Every political party acts in the their own best interests in order to gain power and votes.

Except for that idiot Dukes and the FG party, CJ would never had done the same thing if he was in opposition

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I think MM and all the old guard should go and let fresh blood take over. Martin is a reminder of all that was wrong with the party in the past. FF made terrible mistakes in power and we are suffering for it now. But i dont see the point in blaming ordinary grassroots members for that. You all voted them in remember when they were promising what everyone wanted to hear.

I agree. How can any minister be in government for 10 years and not once challenge Ahern. The only one who did I think was McCreevy, and he was packed off to Brussells. But, if O Dea/Martin etc joined up with McCreevy when he wanted to reign in spending, the country would not be where it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

At last, a FF-related thread that has not (yet) been closed down by the mods.

I was gobsmacked at the statement on RTE radio last night by Michael O'Regan of the Irish Times that ordinary decent FF members must be shocked or disgusted by the tribunal's revelations. I simply cannot believe that ordinary decent FFers were surprised by any of it at this stage.

That in turn makes me doubt the sanity and/or character of anyone who has worked as an FF activist in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Michael Martin on with Matt cooper now,getting a good grilling, but managing to cover himself and ff up as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

COYW wrote: »

But in general that is because a party has some sort of core ideology; they have to keep in mind that their purpose is their policy goals, and there's no point being in government if one is not doing any of the things there that they want to do; however, FF's only real policy is to get power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Ahhhhhh sure they were all at it.

No, they weren't.

Fianna Fail is THE place to go when you want someone in your pocket. Fianna Fail is THE party to join if you want some influence in public life and to make contacts in order to influence decisions through contact or payments.

Fianna Fail is THE party to give your funding to ;) and make sure you attend their functions and bring your bags of money.

It's full of bag men, cash payments, under hand shenanigans.

FF is a hall of fame for the most corrupt members of Irish society since the formation of the state and it is full to the brim with all the corrupt members of Irish society. I would be ashamed to have a family member or friend in any way affiliated with Fianna Fail.

They are a cancer of Irish society and have been caught out time and time and time and time again, all the way back to Dev, it's founder, underhand, sly and always in shady ground trying to get away with immoral, or unethical, or downright illegal behaviour.

It's not "a few bad apples", it's the corrupt business mans members club, with a who's who of corrupt millionaires, developers and business men, all passing around parcels of money, looking for a favour here and a decision there.

No other party has ANY problems EVER. One or two "bad apples" involving one person here or there who abused a position, the Fianna Fail chain of corruption leads from one senior member to the next, from one generation to the next....

They are a disgrace, and nothing would make me happier than to see Bertie slammed up in jail.

I also wouldn't buy Michale Martins alter boy front, as if he didn't know anything surrounded by multiple criminaly prosecuted and also found to be corrupt politicians through all of his career, and he's enough of a cute whooer, I would not be one bit surprised that once he goes through the inevitable scrutiny he inevitably will during his career, some muck will show up there...
    realisitically they were the biggest party and therefore more likely to be in a position to get things done. what happens in goverment is only what happens in everyday buisness and social life. you live and grow by who you know and what you do, are you fade away. if anybody thinks that f.g, lab. s,f are any less corrupt they are living in dream land. these parties will do whatever they have to, to get into power, they will always put the party first. and they will take money from anybody they can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Why would anyone trust an institutionally corrupt party on anything ? ? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

(Yes or No, please).

I have an opinion on that.
    And the answer is no.
    Kenny was a fool twice, to share the same vicinty as that man.

Not the actions of an honest, intelligent man at all.

BTW, where is our root and branch societal reform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

jank wrote: »
    If it were on a FG stage or an organised FG event then yes, you can critise Enda, but it was organised by Irish American Chamber of Commerce, DoB was there as a business man, Enda as a representative of the State.

IMO, our Taoiseach should have refused to attend unless that man was removed from the event.

For a country that has faced such demise at the hands of corrupt little goons, it really was a no brainer.

No brainer, IF Kenny is an honest man and a reforming leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

People in political parties appear to rank their interests in this order:

self interest
    family interest
    party interest
    national interest

Most other Irish people would probably do the same if they were in a political party though IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

realisitically they were the biggest party and therefore more likely to be in a position to get things done. what happens in goverment is only what happens in everyday buisness and social life. you live and grow by who you know and what you do, are you fade away. if anybody thinks that f.g, lab. s,f are any less corrupt they are living in dream land. these parties will do whatever they have to, to get into power, they will always put the party first. and they will take money from anybody they can.

THIS!!

This is exactly the post I was waiting to see!

You are 100%, completely and utterly WRONG in what you say.

Yes, Sinn Fein can be added to the list of criminal organisation along side FF, but at least (and I use that term very loosely) some of their criminal dealings had an iota of a noble cause behind it, but let's not forget that it is a party full of murderers and criminal gang members who have been involved in crime since long before the formation of the state, and recently enough members have been associated with the biggest robbery in the history of this island.

But, you are WRONG when you use the "ahhhhh sure listen lads, weren't they great! We all got a bit rich and aren't they all at it, you're mad if you think FG etc. don't do it..."

That just DOES NOT WASH.

FF, generation after generation, have been filled with criminal members, who not only openly take and solicit corrupt payments, but these are the individuals who rise to the very top of the party, and there is one very good reason for that, because this IS the party of crime and corruption.

What Labour leaders have been found to be corrupt? What Fine Gael leaders have been found to be corrupt? I could give you a list of FF ones that have been found to be corrupt, but it would be quicker to give you a list of the ones who HAVEN'T been disgraced and been found to either abuse their position, to have very inappropriate behavior or to be proven guilty of corruption.

The only reason Bertie Ahern isn't sitting in a jail cell right now is because he hid his tracks so well, ould teflon Bertie, but the tribunal told us all what we all already new, he absolutely lied through his teeth UNDER OATH (which is criminal) and they can not establish where over a QUARTER OF A MILLION EURO CAME FROM.

Now you tell me this, would you be able to explain 10 grand in your bank account or in cash in your house or where it came from? I sure as feck would, and I imagine the only person who couldn't give an extremely clear and logical and proven to be true answer is that they are concealing where it came from, for the reason that it came from criminal activity. He's a crook.

And this isn't some self preservation Darwinism that all FF's are pulling out now, the tribal fools, the other parties, such as FG, the second biggest party historically, have had "bad apples", but for every one in FG there have been FOUND TO BE at least 20 in FF, not to mention all the one not found, and how they are handled in FG is very different. I think only ONE relatively senior member of FG has ever been found to act inappropriately, and he was immediately kicked out of the party and the police were informed by the party....there are bad members in society, and sadly they will tarnish the name sometimes, but what happens in FF? The tribunal found that SENIOR MEMBERS OF GOVERNMENT did everything in their power to derail and collapse the tribunal so that it couldn't get to the bottom of things...now you tell me that's not the actions of a group of gangsters trying to all hide their own sh*t smeared walls and trying to padlock shut Pandora’s box...

Please for the love of God, DO NOT try and drag other parties into this, just like FF officials are trying to do at the moment, by trying to get the whole nations trust in honest public servants ruined and destroyed, just so you can make your own sh*t look less bad....

FF has maintained being the biggest party for a long time for the reason that it's the criminals private club. Money makes everything happen, and the fact that they've maintained 80% of absolute power in this state since it's formation, if not more, is an absolute indictment to how corrupt they are, that all the right people are keeping them sweet and making sure they stay in there.

Sure what use is a FG Government when you can't buy them and can't get all the zoning you want and can't get the contract you want??? It's verrrry verrrry bad for business, and I think in a capitalist world where business is as powerful as Government, the lack of traditional opposition time in power is a glowing endorsement to their inability to be corrupted.

I hope forensic accountants are contracted by the garda to investigate these accounts, and I want to see serious jail time to all the senior politicians (all FF) and the lowly councilors (including some FG & Labour ones).

But don't tarnish the good name of good people and good parties by dragging the sh*te of FF beyond their own doorstep and try and undermine peoples intelligence by suggesting that this is anything other than a FF traditional and code of conduct to involve themselves in corrupt activities.

History is the best barometer of the future, and history has shown, you don't go far in FF unless you're corrupt to the bone.

Advertisement