Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks everyone for all the congrats. Really buzzing today.

Went out for a recovery run this evening. I just let my legs take me as fast as they wanted. Given how tired they were that was very slow. I even put in one mile over 10 minutes, somethng that I haven't done since I shuffled the last 6 miles at DCM last year.
    5 miles @ 9:40 pace. HR 131

I am planning on ditching tomorrows planned 9 w 5 at LT and just doing an easy 9. Hopefully I am fit by thursday to do the LSR (16 w 10 @PMP) so I can recce the Half Marathon plod with Gerard65 on saturday. That can count as the GA 10 as I plan on taking that very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Fair play yesterday, can't say I was surprised at all, you've been putting in some real hard work and seeing lots of gains from it - now just keep it up and you'll hook Dublin together no problem :)

3.5 miles at 9 min/mile pace HR132
    another recovery run of sorts. I was planning a 9 mile GA but the legs were just too tired. I don't think I will be doing this weeks plan as it included a 16m w/10@pmp. I can't see that happenning before friday as I am going to recce the mountain plod course on saturday morning.
    Just looking at the programme there and I will swap this week for next weeks plan. Next week's was a recovery week which suits better this week. that leaves two 8's and a 12 all easy. I will probably take tomorrow off and try an easy 8 on thursday.

I am starting to see why racing is not condusive with these marathon programmes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Been away so I am only just catching up here. Great result on the HM. Almost as good as the result is to see a pacing plan come together and know you can pull it off. I wish I cruise the last three miles of a HM ! Sounds like you had more in the tank.
    It's a bit tough to fit racing but this should give you a good lift the the training is paying off.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Been away so I am only just catching up here. Great result on the HM. Almost as good as the result is to see a pacing plan come together and know you can pull it off. I wish I cruise the last three miles of a HM ! Sounds like you had more in the tank.
    It's a bit tough to fit racing but this should give you a good lift the the training is paying off.

Yeah, I am especially pleased because it is the first race I have paced properly and the first time that I was continually passing people out during the race. Mentally it is so much better to run that way!! people have been saying how hilly the course was and with 140m ascents, I guess it was, but for once I felt strong over the hills!!

Normally endurance has been my issue and my results disimprove the further the race is, but this kind of bucks the treand. I guess the mileage is payin off.

Legs feeling much fresher today, but I am resisting the urge to run until tomorrow. Lots of pressups, core work and stretches instead.

Just realised that June is now over so Monthly totals time:

January 112 miles ( 41st overall on the 1000 mile table)
    February 73.6 ( 52nd)
    March: 117 miles ( 52nd)
    April: 141.8 for 444.4 miles total for the year(41st)
    May: 155.7 for 600.1 miles total (36th)
    June: 152 for 752.1 Total (28th)

Surprisingly it is less than last month depsite starting the P&D programme, though If I had got my session in early this week I would have cleared 160. (and the month is a bit shorter) Should be hitting almost 200 for July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Well done on the half marathon run and more importantly getting ahead of me in the 1000 mile challenge:D. I hope p&d works out for you, i found it really difficult to do all the runs, i got 3 full weeks out of 12! The 7 mile LT run is a real man killer, as well as the 15 mile with 12 at pmp, but you seem well capable, best of luck.

Legs were finally back today. In fact so much so that the first 4 miles were done at PMP without even noticing or intending them to be anywhere near that fast. After 4 I copped on and slowed down a bit but still relatively fast.

8 miles @ 8.19 pace, HR 148.

Plan is another 8 a bit slower tomorrow and 12 on satuday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Chapelizod hill road is the most amazing place in the world, there's no better place to run at the end of a 20 miler or back to back LSR's. I love it and tend to bast most of my runs around finishing up on it. :D

Here Here, I agree. I usually get this hill in during lunchtime runs at work and follow it up with the hill from sarsfield to Inchicore before heading back to the office.

6 miles easy after work untimed.

Forgot to bring my garmin and that almost cancelled the run because of that. Somehow it seems that if it is not recorded on my Garmin, the run never happened anyway :confused:. Got completely soaked which was nice for a change.
    This is going to be a real low mileage week. Hope to get back to the plan next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

menoscemo wrote: »
    6 miles easy after work untimed.

Forgot to bring my garmin and that almost cancelled the run because of that. Somehow it seems that if it is not recorded on my Garmin, the run never happened anyway :confused:. Got completely soaked which was nice for a change.
    This is going to be a real low mileage week. Hope to get back to the plan next week.

Big girls blouse

• Advertisement

RAL3 wrote: »
    Big girls blouse

:rolleyes: If you think that, read the below ;):D

12.6 miles mountain runnng/walking with Ger and RQ; about 2hrs 18 moving and another 20 minutes or so studying maps and waiting. I guess it is good training and all, but some of the terrain there is brutal. Yes the elevation is tough at times but even on flat parts it is really hard to run when you're a wuss like me. So many rocks and loose stones to be threaded through and when you have fear from childhood of twisitng ankles like I do, this is not good.
    I think I will give this Race a miss after todays experience. I can't see myself holding back in the race, especially on downhills and fear doing myself an injury. My training is geared towards DCM and I must focus on that.
    (Yes I am wussing out).

35.1 miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

:rolleyes: If you think that, read the below ;):D

12.6 miles mountain runnng/walking with Ger and RQ; about 2hrs 18 moving and another 20 minutes or so studying maps and waiting. I guess it is good training and all, but some of the terrain there is brutal. Yes the elevation is tough at times but even on flat parts it is really hard to run when you're a wuss like me. So many rocks and loose stones to be threaded through and when you have fear from childhood of twisitng ankles like I do, this is not good.
    I think I will give this Race a miss after todays experience. I can't see myself holding back in the race, especially on downhills and fear doing myself an injury. My training is geared towards DCM and I must focus on that.
    (Yes I am wussing out).

35.1 miles for the week.

Ok Ok I take it back, sounds like tough going!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RAL3 wrote: »
    Ok Ok I take it back, sounds like tough going!

Ignore him, it was pancake flat!

*says she with the grazed, swollen shin*

Recovery run, today. I should be doing these the day after a tough session but Monday always seems like the time when I need these runs most, albeit to recover from the weekend excesses rather than a workout.

Anyway 5.4 miles @9min pace. AvHR 133.
    Surprisingly the speed seems to be almost 30 sec/mile faster than most of my recovery runs with The HR at or lower than normal. Is this a sign of improving fitness? I reckon running that half marathon will have brought me on fitness wise and maybe this is the first sign of it...

Plan-Lactate Threshold Run: 9 w/ 5 @ LT pace (15k-HM). Was hoping to put the LT miles in at around 7:20, given the 7:24 average at the half marathon.
    Result:
    2 mile warm up (9:18, 8:15)
    5 LT went: 6:57 (158) 7:08 (161) 7:16 (163) 7:11 (163) 7:18 (164)

Warm down @ 8:50 pace.

Tough session but surprised at how well the LT miles went. I shot out too fast and had to hold myself back. I though I would pay for that but was surprised to find the rest of the miles went fine despite a really strong wind. Really pleased overall. That's probably the toughest session of the week done even though saturdays run is 18 w 10 @ pmp :eek:

Overall 8.8 miles @ 7:55 av pace. 152 Av HR.

Fair play to you. I went out to do a Tempo session today too, but just couldnt keep it going. Wasnt sure if it was the winds, had no power in the legs after a few miles.

Cheers eammon. Probably due to being fresh after an easy week before.

Not so tonight so. the legs felt like lead and it was a real struggle. Still though I did the Precribed 10 miles @ 8:32 pace. Probably a little fast. I meant to slow down for the last 3 but passed a couple who were just hovering in front of me. They proceeded to follow me for the turn for turn for my last 3 miles so they never gave me a chance to slow down :p

Av HR 142, so despite the pace being fastish, the Hr was just where it should be for these runs.

Rest tomorrow ahead of 16 on saturday.

What pace are you planning to do the 16M on Saturday? I have to do similar, and just wondering what pace you have planned? Might give me a bit of a burst, trying to match it.

I'm also thinking about tracing the mountain plod on the Sunday. Whats the route like? is it easy to get lost? I'm going to download the route onto my Garmin from the thread, but I've never used that function on the watch to guide me through a route.

Hi aimman, saturdays run is 6 easy and 10 at PMP (8 minute miles). Hopefully I'll be doing it in the Phoenix park around 11am if you're interested?

Next 2 weeks have an 18 and a 20 both easy if you prefer one of those.

For the plod, the course is not too bad but bring a map with you as well as there are a few turns where you could get lost. Luckily I have always had the human compass, Gerard65 with me to keep us right.

Yesterday was supposed to be 5 miles recovery, but the rain was lashing down after of work and I decided that I would be better served doing the recovery on sunday after todays session anyway.

Todays plan: 16 miles w/ 10 @PMP
    This morning the waether was no better and I was putting the run off. Eventually I headed off at about 1pm. The plan was to take an easy 3 miles up to Phoenix park, do the Frank Duffy 10 mile course at PMP (8 min/miles) and jog the 3 back to the house.

The air was very humid but the rain held of until about mile 11, then I got soaked to the skin. I also got splashed and soaked to the skin by an ignorant taxi driver Just outside the Phoenix park :mad: (he drove though a puddle at top speed) and I turned and gave him a big finger :pac:

Run was tough. My HR was well up on the last time I did a PMP run. Then the Av was around about 153 for the PMP miles, today it was up around 160. Depsite that I got through the run ok. Legs were tired at the end but that's to be expected given It's my longest run since last october. Anyway the run went thus:
    3 miles warm up @ 9:10 min/miles follwed by 10 @ PMP: 8:00 (161), 7:50 (162), 7:52 (156), 7:46 (160), 7:59 (163), 7:53 (164), 7:50 (160), 7:48 (159), 7:51 (160), 7:56 (161).
    3 Miles warm down @8:50 pace.

Total: 15.9 miles @ 8:19 pace. Av HR 155.

• Advertisement

Hi aimman, saturdays run is 6 easy and 10 at PMP (8 minute miles). Hopefully I'll be doing it in the Phoenix park around 11am if you're interested?

Next 2 weeks have an 18 and a 20 both easy if you prefer one of those.

Didnt get to run yesterday, Drinkies on Friday night put a stop to it. Just waiting for the brekkie to go down before heading out now. I'll be doing the 5M adidas race next weekend and then the Bogtrotter marathon the week after, so wont be able to squeeze in either of those runs. How do you feel the book is working for the P&D schedule?

Aimman wrote: »
    Didnt get to run yesterday, Drinkies on Friday night put a stop to it. Just waiting for the brekkie to go down before heading out now. I'll be doing the 5M adidas race next weekend and then the Bogtrotter marathon the week after, so wont be able to squeeze in either of those runs. How do you feel the book is working for the P&D schedule?

No long runs before the bogtrotter? Are you racing it? I'm still planning about 15 miles + the Adidas race for next week.

No long runs before the bogtrotter? Are you racing it? I'm still planning about 15 miles + the Adidas race for next week.

Ah I'll get the long runs in alright. 16 today, 16 tomorrow and I'll see what I'm in the mood for next weekend, but might not go above 10M

Aimman wrote: »

Forgot abou the 5 miler next weekend. Was going to do my 18 mile LSR in the park- maybe I'll actually still do that and catch some of the action at the finish line. What time does it start?

I am finding the schedule great and the book definately taught me a good few things. For example how to do recover runs properly.

This evening: 5 miles recover. Pace 9:17, HR 134. Feeling abit of a sore throat ad chesty cough after getting soaked yesterday. Hope it doesn't develop into anything too bad.

Weekly total: 5 runs 45.1 miles
    . Good week, bang on schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Forgot abou the 5 miler next weekend. Was going to do my 18 mile LSR in the park- maybe I'll actually still do that and catch some of the action at the finish line. What time does it start?

Start is 10am

RayCun wrote: »
    Start is 10am

Cheers Ray. I'll probably try to catch the race and do my LSR afterwards in that case.

Cheers Ray. I'll probably try to catch the race and do my LSR afterwards in that case.

If you're doing that I might join you if you stick around till the end. Want to do 15 -20 again next saturday. Will probably be doing about 4 before the race.

If you're doing that I might join you if you stick around till the end. Want to do 15 -20 again next saturday. Will probably be doing about 4 before the race.

Will do. I'll be glad of the company. I plan on going really slow for this one 9-9:30 min/miles.

No slower than 9:15 :pac: I'll probably do 8:30's on my way to the park, maybe 8's during the race and then slow down for about 8 miles and then try pick up the pace again on my way home.

• Advertisement

No slower than 9:15 :pac: I'll probably do 8:30's on my way to the park, maybe 8's during the race and then slow down for about 8 miles and then try pick up the pace again on my way home.

will you be off in the first wave?
    I will probably run up from home, go around the back end of the park, aiming to be at the finish line around 10.30 to see yourself and Aimman come in and then do about 10 afterwards. Should I be expecting you in around 10.40 so? Aimman if you're reading this, what time are you expecting? 35 I guess?

Oh and does taking a break in the middle of an LSR to watch the end of a race count as cheating?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement