Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Improving/Learning to swim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Ok I'll try exhaling in the water, probly be next week by the time I'v a chance. Felt today alot of water was going up my nose.
    I looked over though at this chap with hand arms and legs everywhere.. Felt alot better! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

Breath out through your nose then ;) air flow will stop the water from getting in

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Quick question:

I'd like to get some technical coaching/advice as to how I can improve my swimming. I can generally do about 60-65 lengths of a 25 metre pool in a 45 minute session, but my technique hasn't improved since I was in primary school. My kick is very weak in front crawl, and I find bilateral breathing extremely difficult. Just wondering what sort of lesson/coaching/whatever I'd be looking for, and if anyone has any recommendations? (Dublin 1/2/7/8 preferably)

I would recommend either 1-1 or group lessons at intermediate level
    Do you want to work on 4 strokes or just freestyle?
    I'm running lessons at d8 if you are interested email me at kris@swimmming.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

kris71 wrote: »
    Hi kris im also interested couldnt get through to your email cheers bob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

bob50 wrote: »
    Hi kris im also interested couldnt get through to your email cheers bob

Ah, not trying to be smart or cheeky here.... well maybe a little! If you cant get Kris its because swimming has 2 m's not 3 like in his e-mail contact hes posted! :P

Haha thanks for pointing it out Burkatron ;)

* kris@swimming.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Hello swimming people!

I'm 20 and now I'd like to learn how to swim, I've had opportunities since a young age but never liked it, now I want to take up water sports and I think it'll be a good idea if I can swim for when something will inevitably happen!

I'm based in Cork city and a student so have free access to the mardyke, Does anyone know of a good place to go? It doesn't have to be the Mardyke as long as it's within cycling distance of the city centre.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Hello swimming people!

I'm 20 and now I'd like to learn how to swim, I've had opportunities since a young age but never liked it, now I want to take up water sports and I think it'll be a good idea if I can swim for when something will inevitably happen!

I'm based in Cork city and a student so have free access to the mardyke, Does anyone know of a good place to go? It doesn't have to be the Mardyke as long as it's within cycling distance of the city centre.

Thanks!

No one?!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DR_HOUSE

kris71 wrote: »

Hi Kris, where in D8? I live on Usher's Island and I would like to know if there are any community or low cost swimming pool in this area. Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

There is a pool St. John of God Centre Swimming Pool, Islandbridge, Dublin 8. That is open to the public, never been myself, so I don't know what it is like. Hope this helps.

Thank you lorcan for info. I will search for more detailed information about that place!

I'm doing my classes in Herberton leisure, but as far as I know its members only

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ag23

Hi,

I am trying to get back into swimming after getting some very bad frights a number of years ago when I was young.

I really want to get back swimming and do it properly, starting to do aqua jogging because it was recommended but I am still very nervous even after 3 classes.

I am in the Limerick area. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A good swimming instructor will definitely help you out as this is one of many things that might be hard to fix via internet.
    But here are few hints on how to do it:

1) Avoid crowd and noise on a first few times, (quite opposite to aqua fit classes isn't it? ;) ) unless you feel comfy with it. Choose times when you can face your fear in peace, just seat down at the edge of the pool close your eyes and try to relax, open your eyes, get in, and close your eyes again, listen to all the noises around you and try to enjoy being in the water. Once you are a bit more comfy walk around the pool with your hand on the wall nice and slowly step by step get used to it and learn to enjoy the weightless sensation that can't be achieved in any other way unless you are planning a trip to space.
    2) Make sure you are being supervised, inform lifeguard on duty that you do feel nervous and that it would help if you knew you're being looked after, don't be ashamed to ask, trust me he has nothing better to do unless he is saving someone at the moment ;)
    3) Once you will get used to the environment a bit, if you have children bring them with you to the toddler pool and just have fun, works well with children can't see any reason why it shouldn't work with adults, idea is that you can form more positive picture of being in and around water and replace the old one with it.
    4) If you don't have children bring your partner with you or your best friend someone you can trust and feel comfortable around, and just socialize.

Or simply find a swimming instructor ;)

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

Went to first swimming lesson on Thursday, I thought it went well.

Wasn't as nervous as I'd thought I'd be.

He used 2 floats and got me to swim on my back till the middle.
    Then after a while he got me to use one float behind my head (with my hands on it) and swim the full pool.

I really looking forward to next week :)

Just one question though, I thought I stuggled with my legs and balance when I was on my belly.

Is there anything I can do out of the pool to help me with this.

Cheers

I'm afraid not, unless you want to go back few centuries to the fishing rod technique of teaching swimming ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Hi all.
    Have just been on to Corbally pool Limerick. Swimming lessons starting there in Sept, Tuesday nights. As i am a complete beginner, has any one had lessons here.

Some times i work evenings, no good to me if i miss a lesson. I am determined to learn to swim this year. Any instructor around the Cork Limerick area that do 121 lessons.

Just for talk sake say after 10 lessons what should i have achieved.
    I know every one is different, but what is the norm. Thanks

Hi all.
    Have just been on to Corbally pool Limerick. Swimming lessons starting there in Sept, Tuesday nights. As i am a complete beginner, has any one had lessons here.

Some times i work evenings, no good to me if i miss a lesson. I am determined to learn to swim this year. Any instructor around the Cork Limerick area that do 121 lessons.

Just for talk sake say after 10 lessons what should i have achieved.
    I know every one is different, but what is the norm. Thanks

As you said everyone is different! But from my own experience as a teacher if you have no major fear of the water, no physical issues that will slow progress, you listen & understand everything the instructor tells you, you practice yourself atleast once a week, I'd hope you'd be hitting 1-2 lengths Front crawl at a time with ok technique & be comfortable swimming on your back, legs only!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Hello swimming people!

Thanks!

Dont know if mardyke does lessons, but leisureworld bishopstown does on tues/thursday nights at 8. If your enthusiastic i'm sure you'll be able to progress with them. Bit of a cycle if your in city centre though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Unsure if this is the right place but mods feel free to move this if needed...

I have a couple of questions regarding swimming.
    Do folk wear swim socks?total beginner i am with dodgy feet from psosrsis,visually,nothing contagious!!!
    Also regarding body hair,do folk have a skit at others?or should i shave as much off me back altogether?
    Silly questions!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

dahat wrote: »
    Unsure if this is the right place but mods feel free to move this if needed...

I have a couple of questions regarding swimming.
    Do folk wear swim socks?total beginner i am with dodgy feet from psosrsis,visually,nothing contagious!!!
    Also regarding body hair,do folk have a skit at others?or should i shave as much off me back altogether?
    Silly questions!!!!

Silly questions indeed....don't even think about shaving anything, no one will be looking at you...wear socks if it makes you feel more at ease...Enjoy the swimming...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

At 27 now, I would really love to be able to swim. I did a few lessons when I was 12-13 in a group but never mastered it. I am fine if I can hold onto a floating object but that's it.

I can't even walk inside the Pool at the moment, I have developed a massive fear of water. Hoping to start swimming lessons in 2 weeks 1-2-1. My fear is bigger now than at a younger age. I would pay anything if I was able to swim at the end of it. What can I expect now in my first lesson 1-2-1 with an instructor?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

What I teach on my first lesson with beginners is floating, board work, and putting the pupils face in the water.

But you sound quite scared so I would take it much slower, and work just on getting comfortable in the water and putting your face in the water, and floating.

lorcan122 wrote: »
    What I teach on my first lesson with beginners is floating, board work, and putting the pupils face in the water.

But you sound quite scared so I would take it much slower, and work just on getting comfortable in the water and putting your face in the water, and floating.

My first lesson is tomorrow. Im facing my fears at last. Along with my fear of snakes, water is my number 2 fear. But i am going to put big effort into this. In not giving up until I can do it, even if it takes me months,years or decades. Knowing me it will take me longer. I hope to god i will be able to swim in a few months though. That would be my aim. Nervous as hell now though.

teednab-el wrote: »
    lorcan122 wrote: »

My first lesson is tomorrow. Im facing my fears at last. Along with my fear of snakes, water is my number 2 fear. But i am going to put big effort into this. In not giving up until I can do it, even if it takes me months,years or decades. Knowing me it will take me longer. I hope to god i will be able to swim in a
    few months though. That would be my aim. Nervous as hell now though.

Without the intention of sounding harsh,This is got to be one of the least helpful forums on boards. Only for Lorcan122 replying and thanks Lorcan btw I would have thought this forum was dead or something.Thought there would be swimmers on here offering support and advice to people such as myself learning to swim from a beginner stage. Thanks anyway guys. A great and helpful bunch you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Does anyone know of an instructor that gives one-on-one lessons at Terenure College pool?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hi all,
    Im 31 and never been able to swim. I have a huge fear of water (more so water on my face/not being able to breath). I will get into pools, but basically walk around with my head out of the water. I cant put my head under a shower because I panic, so I have to wash my hair separately (so the water doesn’t go on my face). I am hoping to take up swimming very soon (in Dublin), and can anyone give me any pointers on how I can overcome this fear, or where/who would be a good place to be taught? On a secondary note, I will need to get ear plugs, as I am not meant to get water in my ears (medical reasons). What would be the best ear plugs to get?

Thanks

Probably this is a psychological problem and you might need some therapy to overcome fear. Probably a good instructor can help you with this, but it is mainly up to you and how much you want to get over this barrier. Maybe you should practice first on your own, splashing some water on your face. Don't force yourself and take your time as this things won't go away so easily! Good luck!

• Advertisement

DR_HOUSE wrote: »
    Probably this is a psychological problem and you might need some therapy to overcome fear. Probably a good instructor can help you with this, but it is mainly up to you and how much you want to get over this barrier. Maybe you should practice first on your own, splashing some water on your face. Don't force yourself and take your time as this things won't go away so easily! Good luck!

This is good advice! I've worked with people that have a huge fear of water in the past with success (& a couple of failures. it's quite common)but over a long period of time I honestly believe & told them they needed & would be better off speaking to a psychiatrist about it beforehand! None of them ever did but I really believe you'd take alot of time & heartache off of your learning experience if you spoke to someone!

Advertisement