Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paris Marathon 2015

Options
  • 29-10-2014 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Don't see a thread for this yet, so here goes.

April 12th, entry is open at the eye-watering cost of €109.
    I just signed up, no flights or hotel yet. Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Was originally in my plans, but that price tag of €109 put me off. Found it hard to justify considering Paris wouldn't be the cheapest place to stay either.
    Good luck though. Seems to be a good race.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I enjoyed the race itself, especially as it was my first (still only) marathon. Not cheap by any stretch, but it's a nice course and not very hilly, although the heat can be a problem. Would I do it again? No, mainly because (a) I think I have to improve a lot to justify another overseas marathon, and (b) my wife found all the travelling around Paris tough going. But different strokes for different folks and all that. Best of luck, although that day I think I'll be settling for the Connemara Half.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Was originally in my plans, but that price tag of €109 put me off. Found it hard to justify considering Paris wouldn't be the cheapest place to stay either.
    Good luck though. Seems to be a good race.
    Enjoy!

Herself will be accompanying me, so justifying it as a romantic weekend away.
    I'll tell her about the marathon closer to the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Ha! Minor detail :D although my wife not previously having been to Paris was a positive. Little did we know that we would end up moving house the same week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Was originally in my plans, but that price tag of €109 put me off.
    FYI .... Prices are based on sliding scale, from €65 to €110. First 8000 pay €65, next 12000 pay €80, etc....
    Get in there early for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I'm signed up for Paris 2015 - was a late entry because I picked up a calf injury and had to skip DCM 2014 :-(. So I also got hit for the E109 (but I have a sofa to sleep on over there which will make things easier).

Am just starting to reintroduce running now, and will be starting my marathon plan in 2 and a half weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Signed up waaaaay back in May this year as an early bird. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

Anyone else already get a T-shirt in the post??? signed up a while back and have got this "I will run Paris marathon"T-shirt...

(Ironically, have been sidelined with a persistent hamstring hamstring injury and may end up not actually running it !!)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

cianc wrote: »
    Herself will be accompanying me, so justifying it as a romantic weekend away.
    I'll tell her about the marathon closer to the date.

So you must be getting the early train from Paris to Rotterdam that morning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

So you must be getting the early train from Paris to Rotterdam that morning ;)

"Just going to get some milk, back in a bit...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

Signed up for this for €109 in September (plus 12e cancellation insurance) it's v steep overall, but my first marathon. Lived in paris during college so will be both painful and nostalgic! I was planning getting out training by January, is that too late. Thought 3 months would be time enough to prepare?

cowboyjoe wrote: »
    Signed up for this for €109 in September (plus 12e cancellation insurance) it's v steep overall, but my first marathon. Lived in paris during college so will be both painful and nostalgic! I was planning getting out training by January, is that too late. Thought 3 months would be time enough to prepare?

Cowboyjoe, think in planning the schedule depends how much running you do on a regular basis. If you are doing 25-30 miles a week consistently, you might get away with a 3-month plan. If your maintenance running is less than that, you probably should be looking at 4months (most training schedules are 18weeks+). If you don't run on a regular basis.... start tomorrow!

I am doing Paris (also my first) and I'm planning to start my 19-week schedule in a week's time.

Tomorrow!! Ah here...your on the ball!...I suppose I'd run socially a bit..10km or 5 miles races every few months..still play gaa at a decent level ( I know it's nothing compared to marathon) but no proper marathon training ever done...did the dc half marathon last year...so 18 weeks you say...better get started! Thanks for response

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Hi everyone, glad to see there is a thread on this marathon! I also signed up for it. I m french but not from Paris and after running twice the Dublin marathon I decided to run the "home" marathon. I hope it will be a bit easier than the Dublin one. Well, I guess it all depends on the weather condition... Friend of mine ran it couple of years ago it was 25 degres!
    Anyway, best of luck everyone with the training and if some of you are planning to run in Phoenix Park at the weekends please let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

lmguillou wrote: »
    Hi everyone, glad to see there is a thread on this marathon! I also signed up for it. I m french but not from Paris and after running twice the Dublin marathon I decided to run the "home" marathon. I hope it will be a bit easier than the Dublin one. Well, I guess it all depends on the weather condition... Friend of mine ran it couple of years ago it was 25 degres!
    Anyway, best of luck everyone with the training and if some of you are planning to run in Phoenix Park at the weekends please let me know!

Signed up myself with the training plan starting the end of this month. I run with a group in Phoenix park Monday and Saturdays called the Dublin Runners if you are interested. http://www.meetup.com/dublinrunners/

There will be a few training for London and Barcelona at that time but no one else signed up for Paris yet.

Cheers

Shane

Signed up myself with the training plan starting the end of this month. I run with a group in Phoenix park Monday and Saturdays called the Dublin Runners if you are interested. http://www.meetup.com/dublinrunners/

There will be a few training for London and Barcelona at that time but no one else signed up for Paris yet.

Cheers

Shane

Thanks Shane, I will definitely think about it that looks great. My training plan starts next week with my LSR on Sundays, but I can tweak it a litle if I decide to join your group and do my long runs on Saturdays...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SeanBonfire

Just noticed that registration for this is closed. If anyone has an entry that they want to transfer (if that's allowed) let me know.
    Thanks
    Sean

Just noticed that registration for this is closed. If anyone has an entry that they want to transfer (if that's allowed) let me know.
    Thanks
    Sean

I believe it is not allowed so you will want to make sure they the organisers agree to it before you pay anyone for their entry.

Thanks
    Sean

Not allowed SeanBonfire .... (I'd have one to sell if it was permitted, but it's 'under no circumstances')

Not allowed SeanBonfire .... (I'd have one to sell if it was permitted, but it's 'under no circumstances')

Do you know if they will allow you defer it? Hoping on one leg at the min.

• Advertisement

Do you know if they will allow you defer it? Hoping on one leg at the min.

No deferring either... there was a cancellation insurance option for E10 or so extra, but I didn't buy it because the registration itself was so expensive. And even with that you need a doctor's letter ... I wouldn't be sure that injury in the early weeks and not getting enough miles in (my case right now unless things get worse) would be enough reason for them!

Think of it as a donation to world sport ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Crushcan

Hey my husband and I are hoping to run the Paris marathon and we're trying to suss out accommodation at the moment? Does anyone have any suggestions of where would be good to base ourselves? Cheers.

Hi, if you can find a hotel or apartment that's near the arc de triomphe it would be best as it's near to the finish/start lines, say anywhere that's a 20 min walk/jog away from there. Prices would be quite high however. Otherwise find a place near a metro station on the 1 line or anywhere that's direct to Charles de Gaulle etoile metro stop so there's no messing about getting there on the morning or afterwards. If your looking for nice areas but not really nearby I like St Germain, Opera and the St Paul areas. Hope this helps.
    Crushcan wrote: »
    Hey my husband and I are hoping to run the Paris marathon and we're trying to suss out accommodation at the moment? Does anyone have any suggestions of where would be good to base ourselves? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Crushcan

Thanks for the advice cowboyjoe, must get our act together and book it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Shame you can't transfer entry [Where in Triathlon is a normal thing to let someone transfer an entry], I was going enter the race to jog around [TBH - as an excuse to do a weekend in Paris with mrs Vagga], but only thought of it after race was full..

Re: Accommodation - the metro is paris is brilliant, so when I ran it in 2012, we just looked at what lines go to the start area, and stayed a few stops away and it was fine. Staying central will be crazy expensive [we also did AirBnB and it was fine]

Hi All, for those running the PAris marathon I hope the training is going well. I also booked an appartment via airbnb near canal St-Martin. It is fairly easy to travel by metro in PAris even on a Sunday morning so this area should be ok. I am trveling there with my family it seems to be a decent location for the marathon but also for enjoying a long weekend in Paris.

That said for the moment I am more likely to not run the marathon as I am stuck with my ITB since couple of weeks now...well behind my training plan physio told me not to run until my nxt visit next week... Intially i was hoping for a PB at this stage I just hope to run it even considering to walk part of it...

How is everyone getting on? I finally recovered from my ITB issue and was able to go back to training. Though I haven't put as much as I wished for so will be just aiming to finish it.

Before that I need to get the medical cert and I was just wondering, is just a matter of booking a normal appointment with the GP, pay the 55eur or so and get the form filled out and signed? When booking the appointement should I let them know what it is for?

Anyway, if someone did it already that would be great if you could tell how you got it done and if there is an easier way ( cheaper :-D).

Otherwise best of luck to everyone on the 12th of April!

How is everyone getting on? I finally recovered from my ITB issue and was able to go back to training. Though I haven't put as much as I wished for so will be just aiming to finish it.

Before that I need to get the medical cert and I was just wondering, is just a matter of booking a normal appointment with the GP, pay the 55eur or so and get the form filled out and signed? When booking the appointement should I let them know what it is for?

Anyway, if someone did it already that would be great if you could tell how you got it done and if there is an easier way ( cheaper :-D).

Otherwise best of luck to everyone on the 12th of April!

Hi,

I got the medical cert recently and she insisted on an appointment. I let them know what it was far when i rang and everything was sorted quickly.

To be fair they were right to do a proper exam as the last marathon i tried did not go well and ended up needing medical attention.

Like yourself i had a lot of injuries over the last six months so will not be breaking any records. Excited for it now and the beers after.

Shane

Hi,

I got the medical cert recently and she insisted on an appointment. I let them know what it was far when i rang and everything was sorted quickly.

To be fair they were right to do a proper exam as the last marathon i tried did not go well and ended up needing medical attention.

Like yourself i had a lot of injuries over the last six months so will not be breaking any records. Excited for it now and the beers after.

Shane

Hi Shane, I also think it is fair to have a mandatory exam assuming it is a proper one of course... I will ring my GP then, I should be ok, hopefully! Beside I was never able to contact you back regarding the running group meetings as I got injured shortly after. SInce then I planned my training almost on a daily baisis... I'm going for a 32km in Phoenix park on Sunday morning if you re around!

Cheers,
    Louis

• Advertisement

Hi Shane, I also think it is fair to have a mandatory exam assuming it is a proper one of course... I will ring my GP then, I should be ok, hopefully! Beside I was never able to contact you back regarding the running group meetings as I got injured shortly after. SInce then I planned my training almost on a daily baisis... I'm going for a 32km in Phoenix park on Sunday morning if you re around!

Cheers,
    Louis

Hi Louis,

Doing my long run on Sat morning but Colin Morrissey from the Dublin Runners is doing his long run in the park on sunday morning if that is any good. He would be a little too fast for me at sub 5 min per km but may suit you.

Link is at http://www.meetup.com/dublinrunners/events/221388796/

If you wanted to join us on Sat we will be starting at 8:30 from the Visitors centre.

Cheers

Shane

Advertisement