Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Many of those countries gave it bad name. Hitler made it high profile, but other countries had pretty questionable practices in place.
    Well the ethics of eugenics is always going to be contentious (wouldn't like to say that 10 times quickly) but yes sterilising the mentally retarded without their consent, for example, isn't very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

-Women should have to get a licence to get pregnant.

The trick is to give incentive for proving they are capable parents otherwise you get the people crying about how its their right to have children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Many countries were into eugenics back then.

Which doesn't excuse it.
    humbert wrote: »
    Well the ethics of eugenics is always going to be contentious (wouldn't like to say that 10 times quickly) but yes sterilising the mentally retarded without their consent, for example, isn't very nice.

That's an understatement. And the criteria for mentally retarded was frequently flawed with people sterilised because they were considered undesirables, whether they was were or not.

Which doesn't excuse it.
    In keeping with this thread, I'm not against eugenics in general but it's certainly a thorny issue and open to abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I hate when Godwin is brought up every time there's a mention of Hitler/the nazis in a thread - it's obviously relevant sometimes.

• Advertisement

Madam_X wrote: »
    I hate when Godwin is brought up every time there's a mention of Hitler/the nazis in a thread - it's obviously relevant sometimes.
    Suggesting something is bad because Hitler liked it is not one of those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You like dogs? Hitler liked dogs too. You monster!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

No, it makes you a proper (local team) fan.
    No, it makes me more of a proper football fan. Nothing beats being at a live game, watching on TV and shouting at it like most football 'fans' in this country is nowhere near being a proper football fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

The Irish language is utterly pointless. Only a handful of people actually speak it as a first language and the majority of them are slightly weird, usually having been brought up in some arty farty household where one of the parents is a teacher and the other one is a full time poet or some such arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

We're all a little sad for being on Boards.ie at this hour

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I prefer Redheads & Brunettes over Blonde haired women

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I prefer Redheads & Brunettes over Blonde haired women

Redheads get a bad rep, who cares that they can't properly produce melanin, defective gene my arse, some red headed broads are hot.

• Fat birds are sexy. Not necessarily to look at - I mean maybe they are, that's a matter of your own opinion - but when it comes down to closing your eyes and doing the business, you will NEVER get a better ride than what you'll get from a fat bird.

I've done my share of them and I'll tell you - never done a fat bird where the experience wasn't 95+% minimum.

Skinny girls are cold, as in their skin is cold to touch, they complain all day long, and they wait around for you to spend lots of money on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BattyInNZ

My house doesn't have to be 'child friendly' - other people's children have to be 'house friendly'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

-Women should have to get a licence to get pregnant.

Why women, and not couples? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

Wilberto wrote: »
    That depends on your interpretation of "rich".
    RICH means rich, riches of money, praise, popularity, freedom, .....
    list may go on. everyone may find something for them in this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

Ban the whale.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

Ireland needs to boycott India until they cop-on - don't buy Indian products, don't accept Indian immigrants into this country, and discourage people from travelling there.[/QUOTE

THINK! If indians boycott Ireland and stop coming here, where shall we get the IT smarties and nurses from. They will find their way somewhere else but Ireland will definitely be scratching its head then. (opinion :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

humbert wrote: »
    In keeping with this thread, I'm not against eugenics in general but it's certainly a thorny issue and open to abuse.

When is eugenics ever acceptable? People aren't racehorses...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,983 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

thebuzz wrote: »
    No, it makes me more of a proper football fan. Nothing beats being at a live game, watching on TV and shouting at it like most football 'fans' in this country is nowhere near being a proper football fan.

Just because you are at a game doesn;t mke it or you any better.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

The Irish language is utterly pointless. Only a handful of people actually speak it as a first language and the majority of them are slightly weird, usually having been brought up in some arty farty household where one of the parents is a teacher and the other one is a full time poet or some such arse.

Saying that a lanaguge is "utterly pointless" because of a lack of speakers is being a philistine. Would you say the same about Latin?

Or would you say that all art is pointless because it has no practical value?

When is eugenics ever acceptable? People aren't racehorses...
    I'm OK with this.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/may/30/barbara-harris-sterilise-addicts-uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Hah. I have no idea how it would play out but I think the idea as a whole would be ideal for society.
    How on earth would a licence stop women getting pregnant?

Do you mean: a licence to raise children maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

When a woman wishes to conceive a baby, she has to get a permit from the appropriate authority. This permit is delivered if it is shown the baby can be cared for fully and not in poverty or in the hands of ill equipped parents. Any mother who produces a baby and does not have a permit has the child taken away from her and fined. In addition, the permit would raise cash for the State given that it'll cost €50 to get one in the first place. This is a great basic skeleton to work from and it's only a matter of time before the PPP is introduced (Permit Permitting Pregnancy).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

When a woman wishes to conceive a baby, she has to get a permit from the appropriate authority. This permit is delivered if it is shown the baby can be cared for fully and not in poverty or in the hands of ill equipped parents. Any mother who produces a baby and does not have a permit has the child taken away from her and fined. In addition, the permit would raise cash for the State given that it'll cost €50 to get one in the first place. This is a great basic skeleton to work from and it's only a matter of time before the PPP is introduced (Permit Permitting Pregnancy).

What if things are going well for you when you have a baby but 5/10 years down the line things hit the skids. Do we have forced adoption?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Pregnancy as we all (should) know cannot be prevented all of the time, so this eugenics bull doesn't even come into it.

But I very much agree that anyone who wants to raise a child should need a license. If you're capable of being a good parent then you've nothing to worry about. If you're not then your children should rightly be taken away from you. Far too many children have had to grow up with degenerates for parents because any prat can have one whenever they want.

You need a license for a dog, why not a human?

Pregnancy as we all (should) know cannot be prevented all of the time, so this eugenics bull doesn't even come into it.

But I very much agree that anyone who wants to raise a child should need a license. If you're capable of being a good parent then you've nothing to worry about. If you're not then your children should rightly be taken away from you. Far too many children have had to grow up with degenerates for parents because any prat can have one whenever they want.

This is a case of perspective: what makes a good parent: in Russia and Finalnd, they take their kids down to the ice lakes and send them swmming in freezing temperatures and little or no swimwear. Is this being a good parent or not?

And that's juse one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

What % of dogs in this country are licensed?

Addle wrote: »
    What % of dogs in this country are licensed?

Not a clue. What % of drivers are licensed/insured?

• Advertisement

This is a case of perspective: what makes a good parent: in Russia and Finalnd, they take their kids down to the ice lakes and send them swmming in freezing temperatures and little or no swimwear. Is this being a good parent or not?

And that's juse one example.

Do the Russian and Finnish kids grow up to be scum as a result?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement