Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,075 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playing offline!? But how are you meant to know where to Praise the Sun?

• Actually any chance someone could tell me exactly where you can pray to the Sun?

I've been a very slow learner with this game - only recently figured out how to ascend weapons, so now I've got a +5 raw Zeihander and a +4 divine battle axe, though I'm wishing I had ascended a weapon with more of a reach, because those skeletons in the Catacombs are tough with the battle axe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,075 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Praise the Sun has just become the standard overused nonsense message in the game!

Although there is a covenant where I believe you do have to pray at the sunlight altar in undead burg. Didn't do it myself though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Wossack

dont have an xbox sub, so been playing offline also

one more lord soul to go (tomb of giants etc - finally got a sunlight maggot)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Why is it taking From Software so long to release what is a very simple patch? It's not messing with any gameplay mechanics, it's just changing a few stats etc.

I'm not raging on FS, I'm just curious why there's been such a delay. Maybe all their development staff went on holiday after release!

• Advertisement

Microsoft and Sony certification processes can be very time consuming, alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

YESS! I beat the Gaping Dragon. This was without the help of Knights Solaire & Lautrec and with no Gold Resin left either. The 2 phantom knights were destroyed by the dragon the first time out and I got pounced upon and killed by the Dragon during that battle also.

In the 2nd battle against him I had no humanity or Gold resin left and when I got the bugger down to one tenth of his energy I got the "Weapon at Risk" warning on my Drake Sword. It took about 2 minutes of running around with no Estus flasks left trying to avoid the Dragon advancing towards me before he stopped to charge up an attack. When he done this I just ran in with the Gargoyle Halberd and gave him a right whack to finally vanquish him.

I was is a great mood going to bed afterwards. I only wish I recorded the battle to put up on Youtube, it was that intense:D Now it's off to Blight Town.

For anyone out there who hasn't got as far as the Depths yet, make sure you have a good supply of Purging Stones with you before you go there, I cannot emphasise that enough. This is because you can get cursed by the frogs. When you get cursed your energy bar is set at half it's normal rate which is a pain. Ypu can buy them off the Priest in the Undead Parish Bell Tower or off the Undead merchant in the Undead Burg aqueduct.

Microsoft and Sony certification processes can be very time consuming, alas.
    So I believe. Other developers seem to get their patches out within a couple of weeks though and they usually have more complicated fixes to contend with.

Bar the STR/DEX scaling issue and the Lightning being overpowered I don't think there's too much wrong with the release build.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I shall mock ye all as I'll only play this offline, I want to go insane with difficulty!
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I've played this up to Blighttown 100% offline so far and it hasn't been anything too insanely taxing.
    Wossack wrote: »
    dont have an xbox sub, so been playing offline also

Not playing this game online...:confused:
    That would be like watching TV with just an aerial - you're getting something, but you're missing out on so much more.

I suppose what you don't have, you don't miss.

One of the best components of this game is the invader/invadee mechanic. Not to mention you can co-op through the levels.
    Imagine co-oping through a level with two guys, and an invader pops in to say Hi..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Actually any chance someone could tell me exactly where you can pray to the Sun?

I've been a very slow learner with this game - only recently figured out how to ascend weapons, so now I've got a +5 raw Zeihander and a +4 divine battle axe, though I'm wishing I had ascended a weapon with more of a reach, because those skeletons in the Catacombs are tough with the battle axe.

You can join the sunlight covenant , theres an altar under the big red dragon that breaths fire across the bridge.You need 50 faith or depending on your faith stat you need to help people with the boss fights . Example you have a stat of 15, well youll need to help 7 people then because each boss you help defeat you gain 5 imaginary faith points. Once you get to the 50 mark the alter will let you join.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

F1ngers wrote: »
    That would be like watching TV with just an aerial - you're getting something, but you're missing out on so much more.

One of the best components of this game is the invader/invadee mechanic. Not to mention you can co-op through the levels.
    Imagine co-oping through a level with two guys, and an invader pops in to say Hi..

In a way playing offline is the "hardmode" for the game. I know on many an occasion on my first run through the game that other peoples messages probably saved my life. Plus getting tail weapons. Although after Gaping Dragon i attacked every ****er that had a tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

I've started playing as a Hollow at all times now. Sick of being invaded and having to stand around for half an hour waiting for the invader to stop hiding amongst the Capra demon herd. That's happened 4 times now. I didn't mind getting invaded before but in the last week i have not had a single invader willing to actually fight me themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

In a way playing offline is the "hardmode" for the game. I know on many an occasion on my first run through the game that other peoples messages probably saved my life. Plus getting tail weapons. Although after Gaping Dragon i attacked every ****er that had a tail.

I was the opposite, my first playthrough I had two "try jumping" moments :mad:
    and then a "try attacking" moment with the undead burg merchant..... :rolleyes:

I soon learned my lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,135 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Although I have to say I find thre whole invasion/invadee thing to be well overexaggerated.

Summoning is straight forward enough but invading other people's games is very time consuming, reminds me of old PC games online where you would have to wait around hoping for someone to join a game etc

I'm hammering any invaders I encounter, Homing Soulmass ftw! Makes mincemeat of most players in 2 shots.

Can see why it's being nerfed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Beat nito and on to new londo.

I'm after using transceint curse and still can't hurt ghosts, am i doing something wrong?

edit: forget about that... must take a while to kick in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Hi again lads,

Any idea how to use Titanite chunks/shards on weapons (longsword in my case)?

Thanks.

Blacksmiths sort that stuff out for you. However, you'll need certain embers to get weapons past certain levels.

Andre (who's between Undead Parish and Darkroot Forest), for example, can level your weapons up to +5 normally, but will give you the option to upgrade to +10 or +5 Raw if you give him the Large Ember.

Make sure you buy the item off him that lets you upgrade items yourself at bonfires - will save you time and effort!

Finding four kings pretty tough. I'm thinking I should probably improve my pyromacy. Can't believe I'm nearly finished and the only magic i've used is great chaos fireball

How do I upgrade my pyro flame? Laurentius isn't at firelink anymore, I never found Quelana and I killed that other guy.

Just killed 4 kings, can't believe I did it by myself at the end because I was struggling with help. just went in 2 handed and kept plugging away.

Going for the last lord soul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,900 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Quelana is below where you ring second bell, there is a secret wall. you might have to join her covenent (chaos one ) , the michelin man little fellow beside her sells it.

2smiggy wrote: »
    Quelana is below where you ring second bell, there is a secret wall. you might have to join her covenent (chaos one ) , the michelin man little fellow beside her sells it.

Quelana is a different person, she is a merchant around the swamp. I know where you are talking about and unfortunately i killed that guy cause he wouldn't let me pass. Anyway i don't really mind since I beat 4 king. On the way to the last chaos demon

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

I just got the heal spell at firelink shrine but I cannot use it. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,900 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

tok9 wrote: »
    Quelana is a different person, she is a merchant around the swamp. I know where you are talking about and unfortunately i killed that guy cause he wouldn't let me pass. Anyway i don't really mind since I beat 4 king. On the way to the last chaos demon

oops !! sorry, thought that was her ! ah well, i find it hard to keep up with all the names in the game.

i have just gone back to the start area through the nest. is this a tough area ? i have no souls to lose so will start exploring here this evening

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »
    I just got the heal spell at firelink shrine but I cannot use it. Am I missing something?

Ive not used miracles, but think they are similar to spells and pyromancy - in that you need to 'Attune magic' at a bonfire, put that miracle in a free slot, and then you need to be holding a talisman to fire it off

as said though, Ive not used miracles, so could be wrong

2smiggy wrote: »
    oops !! sorry, thought that was her ! ah well, i find it hard to keep up with all the names in the game.

i have just gone back to the start area through the nest. is this a tough area ? i have no souls to lose so will start exploring here this evening

couple of black knights, and... a surprise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

tok9 wrote: »
    How do I upgrade my pyro flame? Laurentius isn't at firelink anymore, I never found Quelana and I killed that other guy.

That happened to me, Larentius went hollow and Quelana never appeared because you have to talk to her before defeating a certain boss or she disappears, I forget which boss it is so she could be there for you. She sits down by one of the big pillars in the swamp which you should pass if you head in the direction of Quelaag from the Blighttown bonfire.

Soul Spear + Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring + Crown of Dusk + INT 38 = 800+ damage per shot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

In Los izalith invading people with the blue eye orb, they dont know if youve invaded and run up to the boss area and its 3 v 1 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

tonydude wrote: »
    In Los izalith invading people with the blue eye orb, they dont know if youve invaded and run up to the boss area and its 3 v 1 :D

I thought the blue eye orb announces that youve invaded

Advertisement