Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twenty Six Point Something Something OR A Study in Lackadaisical Sub 3 Hour Marathon

• 06-07-2010 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Decided to use this to keep track of my training for DCM 2010.

A little fluff: 21 years of age, 6', 71.5kg, ran Cork and Dublin Marathons '09 in 4:58 and 3:36 respectively and Cork in 2010 in 3:15 so I'm having a crack off going sub 3 in Dublin in Oct (I've said it now...)

SO! Day 1! (not really) An easy 8.5 miles, bit rainy we'll see how it goes.

On your marks... get set... GO! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Decided to use this to keep track of my training for DCM 2010.

A little fluff: 21 years of age, 6', 71.5kg, ran Cork and Dublin Marathons '09 in 4:58 and 3:36 respectively and Cork in 2010 in 3:15 so I'm having a crack off going sub 3 in Dublin in Oct (I've said it now...)

SO! Day 1! (not really) An easy 8.5 miles, bit rainy we'll see how it goes.

On your marks... get set... GO! :D

Best of luck with the training 4th marathon at 21 fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Cheers ecoli,

8.5 hungry, wet, achy kneed miles later I can now say

Total mileage: 8.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Whats with the differing times bud?
    Did you get injured in cork last year. Same time as myself in dublin. Nice time in cork, it was a hard day.

The differing times are a result of being woefully undertrained and not being able to handle the 26 degree heat. The awful time got to me so I trained hard over the summer and did 3:36 in dublin and it's all carried on from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

good luck with the training....good improvements!

same target myself, but im down for amsterdam a week earlier...

• Advertisement

Cheers seanynova good luck with your own training,

Training today was a bare half hour in the pool followed by 45 mins of squash cos I'm hungover....

6 miles today... really have to start upping the mileage if I want to make sub 3 a realistic possibility. Fingers crossed the weather clears up soon!!

Done and dusted in 42 mins and change.

Total mileage: 14.5

6 miles today... really have to start upping the mileage if I want to make sub 3 a realistic possibility. Fingers crossed the weather clears up soon!!

Total mileage: 14.5

Dont rush it all you are going to do is increase the risk of injury. There a sub three thread here in the training logs which maybe able to give you insight or atleast provide support with others trying to break the three mark

Yeah you're totally right, I'm a demon for not sticking to the 10% rule of thumb and making big leaps in my mileage. I've gotten away injury free so far apart from a case of tendonitis in my knee caused by wearing neutral shoes when I overpronate slightly. My base is pretty good though due to only missing a week after Cork and I just want to get myself back up to where I was prior, don't think it's too unreasonable considering it was only a month ago!

I appreciate the advice :) I've read your posts in other threads and I know you're a very well informed athlete so your input is more than welcome.

On another topic :P seeing as I started this log on a tuesday I never took into account my 6 mile run on monday, so in order to accurately record my weekly miles I'm going to bung it in here.

So.... Total Mileage: 20.5

Officially signed up for DCM '10!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Best of luck. Will be doing DCM aswell and hopefully sub 3 will be on the cards!

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Best of luck. Will be doing DCM aswell and hopefully sub 3 will be on the cards!

In that case I'll see you at the finish line.

10 miles in 70:08, weather is horrific but didn't slow me down too much, right knee vaguely achy at times, hope it doesn't develop into anything more serious.

Lunch time! :D

Total mileage: 30.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

In that case I'll see you at the finish line.

10 miles in 70:08, weather is horrific but didn't slow me down too much, right knee vaguely achy at times, hope it doesn't develop into anything more serious.

Lunch time! :D

Total mileage: 30.5

thats a fast session there bud. nearly a 10 mile pace run for sub 3. becareful you dont do to much to early. well done.

Intense session today. 20 remote reps and and blasted my abs with a pizza.

Day 1 of ecoli's sub 3 hour training schedule, a rest day conveniently enough :D

8.5 miles in 66:08 in a hoody in July :eek: mistaaaaaaaake! Felt like I sweated off a small child, won't make that mistake again for a few months.

Did 4x200m afterwards which were just a big bundle of laughs (especially when the group of kids cycling by started to jeer :o) so all in all 9 miles done today!

Total Mileage: 39.5

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck Bloody Nips. Are you following a specific plan, or playing it by ear?

Cheers Krusty, I've thrown my lot in with ecoli's sub 3 hour plan. It has a slightly higher mileage than anything I've done before and I've never incorporated intervals or recovery runs into my training so hopefully it'll knock the 15mins I need off.

8.5 miles again in 61 mins and change, humid as hell, and a game of squash in an hours time. Oh those lazy summer days...:D

Total mileage: 48

12 mile run, broken down in into 25 mins at an easy pace, 14 at MP, 6:30 at HMP then another 25 @EP, 14@MP and 8@HMP. Very good workout, right knee is a bit niggly but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse and it's not impeding my ability to run, reckon it might be the patellar tendon getting a bit inflamed gonna ice it and relax this evening.

Total mileage: 60

5 mile recovery run in 40:38, felt very good despite yesterday being hard so delighted about that! :) Got to try out all my new gear from Lidl, so off I went in my Lidl brand running t-shirt and shorts with my Lidl brand HRM :P I felt like Garth in Wayne's World... except I wasn't getting paid. HR stayed steady at 150-160 bpm but I've no idea if that's good or bad, have to check that out later and see what "zone" I was in. Anyway all set for 6 miles tomorrow and the dreaded 15 on sunday :eek: my longest since the marathon. Feels good to get the miles in though.

Total Mileage: 65

• Advertisement

Just a note to remind myself that even if I do end up going clubbing tonight my six mile run tomorrow WILL be done, even if I have to spew my ring all over Cork's southern suburbs :mad: HTFU!! Game face on!!

Just a note to remind myself that even if I do end up going clubbing tonight my six mile run tomorrow WILL be done, even if I have to spew my ring all over Cork's southern suburbs :mad: HTFU!! Game face on!!

Go out enjoy yourself after all running is a hobby cant control your life if you afraid of getting sick while training the next day get your training in by running home you will think you are flying:D. (Nerd hat on)One thing i will say is leave it till later in the day if you can. Alcohol in the system is a bi product of anaerobic training and as such it can have similar adverse effects on the body if it hasnt left the system by the time you start training

I always forget how unbelievable running is as a hangover cure. Right so, took some SERIOUS effort to get out the door, hit the bottle harder than I intended last night and the bottle of Tiger, pint of Bud, Havana Rum and Coke(x3?) and the double blue Aftershock and Red Bull almost came back up to say hello a few times as I was starting out. Belched and farted my way around 6 miles in 45:15.

Feeling pretty good now though :D

Total Mileage: 71

If I had to sum up today's run it'd have to be: fcukin' ****e. Didn't put on vaseline and chafed the crap out of my thighs, I thought that was just for fat people!! As a result I ended up taking a few walking breaks. So all in all trundled around 15 miles in 2:07:xx. On the upside the knee felt fine so hopefully my rigorous icing routine is sorting that out.

Weekly Mileage: 55.5
    Total Mileage: 76

Sanding down the calloused skin on me feet with me ma's nail file. Can't imagine her being too impressed if she caught me.

This week's plan of action courtesy of ecoli:

Mon Rest
    Tues 4 miles easy, 4x2 min hills, 2 mile cooldown
    Wed 10 miles easy
    Thurs 8 miles easy
    Fri 2 mile warm up, 3x2k @ HMP, 2 mile cooldown
    Sat 6 miles recovery
    Sun 16 miles easy

Ok so today started off with a ~4 mile run out to the old road up the airport hill. It's a big steep b@stard with a gradient as bad as St. Patrick's Hill (I live in Cork so don't know how relevant this is to people with the misfortune to be from elsewhere). Did my 4x2min hill repeats in:
    2'00 (to gauge the distance)
    1'59
    2'07 (getting tired here)
    2'09 (need a panned out face emoticon)

Then did a slow recovery run home. The whole loop is 7 miles so it's just going down in my log as 7, despite having run back and forth over parts of it. The key reasons for this are a) I don't have a garmin and b) I'm lazy.

Total mileage: 83

Ok so today started off with a ~4 mile run out to the old road up the airport hill. It's a big steep b@stard with a gradient as bad as St. Patrick's Hill (I live in Cork so don't know how relevant this is to people with the misfortune to be from elsewhere). Did my 4x2min hill repeats in:
    2'00 (to gauge the distance)
    1'59
    2'07 (getting tired here)
    2'09 (need a panned out face emoticon)

Then did a slow recovery run home. The whole loop is 7 miles so it's just going down in my log as 7, despite having run back and forth over parts of it. The key reasons for this are a) I don't have a garmin and b) I'm lazy.

Total mileage: 83

Fair play regarding the reps though dont worry about the distance as the session is based on time so after two min you can stop. I know people like to try and maintain the distance but the fact is your first one which you gauged the distance with you were fresh so you obviously gonna slow a bit.

Keep up the good work

Thought I'd have to split todays ten miler into 2 but thanks to some skilful juggling on my part I've freed up my morning and gotten the whole thing done in one for maximum benefit. Started off slowly enough as I was really feeling yesterday in my glutes, kept it nice and relaxed for the whole thing (really getting into this running slowly lark, mightn't bother with this sub 3 hour idea :D) with 10.5 miles done in 84:46. Weather was very mixed going from hot and sunny to cold and rainy and back again. A satisfying run all in all.

Total mileage: 93.5

Going up to Galway for 4 days with the lads :D the running gear is coming with but whether that's misplaced optimism on my part...

• Advertisement

Only got one 5 mile run in. Not the worst thing in the world though. The legs are feeling much recharged so it's onwards and upwards from here on out. I'll hopefully get 8 miles done sometime today.

Total Weekly Mileage: 22
    Total Mileage: 98.5

Advertisement