Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I am hoping to strip down my pc to finally install a new psu to resolve the failing to boot up issue have been happening for the the last few months, and give it a bit of a clean.

my question is what should i use to clean the old thermal paste off the CPU and cooler, that would be readily available in most towns?

I use Isopropanol for cleaning thermal paste (and almost anything else related to electronics). I got 600ml off my local pharmacy recently for €10, 70%. I've also had success with "Sticky Stuff Remover" but this seems to leave an odd smell for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

glynf wrote: »
    I read that Nail varnish has all kinds of ****e in it apart from acetone, inc. mineral oils which can cause corrosion/pitting of metal. Not sure if it would make any difference if it was rubbed off straight away, wouldn't chance it personally.

Probably best to use Isopropyl alcohol so,
    Never had issues with the NVR i use but yeah best not to chance it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've used white spirits on numerous occassions over the past 10 years to no ill effect. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I got ArctiClean cheap on Ebay and it's great stuff. There is a thermal paste remover and some sort of polish. It smells strongly of citrus.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

Right, not long finished putting my rig back together, i used Isopropyl Alcohol which i picked up from the local pharmacy 500ml for less that a tenner. It was easy enough in the end.

In the old off topic thread i posted in June I was having issues with my PC starting after a power cut. Brian and Glynf recommended changing the PSU. I took until now to get the job done, and i am pleased to say it appears to have do the trick. 3 successful booths so far, as i and not long finished.

Thanks again lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2600325/intel-turns-its-attention-to-desktop-performance-unveils-8-core-haswell-e-processor.html

I can't possibly justify a 6 core processor to myself, never mind an 8 core, but oh, my, think of the occasional video transcoding speeds I'd attain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

What are people's thoughts on X99, after having looked at reviews, etc.?

Personally I think it's cool that we now have a couple of cheap-ish 6-core options (maybe that'll trickle down into the mainstream socket, though probably not), but it's ridiculously expensive.

You're looking at around €800 all told to upgrade, and it just doesn't offer that much of a bump over Haswell at the moment, when looking at the 5820K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

The prices are about what most people were expecting/predicting though? CPUs are a little pricier than their IB-E counterparts which was expected due to the increase in cores/threads. DDR4 was always going to cost more at the start of it's life-cycle, and mobos are about the same as X79 were. Still a lot of money compared to a Z97 set-up though, true enough.

I'm trying to get a new build done this year, maybe early next year, and I want X99 as I think it'll last me a year or two longer than Z97. But I'll be coming from an E8400, so anything would seem like a monstrous performance gain!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

nesf wrote: »
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2600325/intel-turns-its-attention-to-desktop-performance-unveils-8-core-haswell-e-processor.html

I can't possibly justify a 6 core processor to myself, never mind an 8 core, but oh, my, think of the occasional video transcoding speeds I'd attain!!

From gamers perspective: "Meh" :p

By he way. Nvidia will be branding Next gen Gpus as 9 series now... Out in retail around 17th of September. They planning on launching 980 and 970, which is good. I doubt I will ever go with highest end Gpu again and 970 would hit the sweet spot upgrading from 680. Thats of course if 9 series any good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Serephucus wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on X99, after having looked at reviews, etc.?

Personally I think it's cool that we now have a couple of cheap-ish 6-core options (maybe that'll trickle down into the mainstream socket, though probably not), but it's ridiculously expensive.

You're looking at around €800 all told to upgrade, and it just doesn't offer that much of a bump over Haswell at the moment, when looking at the 5820K.

I was holding off on a new build to see how it compared to Z97, a bit under impressed to put it mildly. As predicted, its about 10% overall improvement on Ivy BridgeE-I'm sure this will improve with better BIOS/driver releases though.

The cost of DDR4 is also (currently) nuts, could not justify..

I was thinking about going 5820, but as I run SLI 28 PCI lanes is just....ugh. I have not seen any X99 boards with a PLX chip, and I assume it won't happen either.
    As I mainly use my desktop for gaming, office & CAD, I can get a 4790K and a decent mobo plus a 500 Gb SSD for less than an X99 build.

BTW, LG have a curved 21:9 screen on the way:

I'll just leave this here..:p

lg-curved-monitor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Dell have one on the way too. Very interested to see one of those in person.

As for X99, ASUS's WS board has two PLX chips. It's not like x8 vs. x16 makes a huge difference at the moment though. Maybe with the 900 series that might change, but I don't think so.

There's a reason NVIDIA and AMD are both looking into stacked memory for their cards down the line. the PCIE bus just isn't an efficient way of communicating with the CPU, and there's a lot of overhead there. That's one of the reasons DX12 and Mantle are a big thing as well. All of this is to help cut down on the amount of data communicated between the GPU and CPU. If more things can be calculated on the GPU's framebuffer, all the better.

Anyone want to swap an xbox one for a decent starter gaming pc? :P

i3-4130 3.4Ghz, 32gb ssd, gtx750ti twin frozr, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive.

BTW, LG have a curved 21:9 screen on the way:

I'll just leave this here..:p

lg-curved-monitor.jpg

The more of these 21:9 4k versions out there - the better. They make me drool so much!
    First, I will tackle my GPU ( thinking of a nice Xmas Present from Me, to beloved ME ) then I am up for getting one of those bad boys!

Lets hope the 900 series are a substantial bump on 700 series' performance-especially with 4K & 21:9 1440p monitors becoming less (slightly) expensive..I live in hope :)

Lets hope the 900 series are a substantial bump on 700 series' performance-especially with 4K & 21:9 1440p monitors becoming less (slightly) expensive..I live in hope :)

Indeed. I really hope they will have a GOOD BUMP in performance, not like 770 = 680 and 780 just little bit faster. I know we have 780ti, but its still a stupid deal when it comes performance per euro.

New GPUs coming out so soon, did 7 series drop in price at least a bit? I remember 6 series droped a good bit before 7 series showed its head.

Yea Scan dropped prices on 780's in the last few days, so probably clearing stock.

Yea Scan dropped prices on 780's in the last few days, so probably clearing stock.

Jaysus, 320£ for 780 still sounds stupid...

This looks interesting though.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-sapphire-r9-290x-trix-oc-gddr5-pci-express-30-1045mhz-5200mhz

God FECKING DAMMIT! Just went flying of my chair as support handles just cracked. In fairness I had my chair in that limpy mode and I was resting my whole back on it. Its over 8 years old and I am not the lightest fella too lol. :o

Little bit of Duck tape and at least I can use it now. Will do for few days. So looks like I am in the market for new chair... Feck! :o

• Advertisement

Had a 3 series like that chair once, always going into limp mode :D

So moved in to new house. Got my nerd cave sorted.
    Took me 4 calls to eircom to transfer my account... So looks like all this week I am without Internet. It's going to suck balls badly :(. At least efibre is in this area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Working away on photo shop there i jump into a browser window, and just looking at something and the display went really weird and the computer went completely unresponsive.

There is a weird flicker on the screen now it wasn't there an hour ago any ideas how i can figure out what the problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Working away on photo shop there i jump into a browser window, and just looking at something and the display went really weird and the computer went completely unresponsive.

There is a weird flicker on the screen now it wasn't there an hour ago any ideas how i can figure out what the problem is?

Have you tried Restarting the computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I would go for restarting first too.

Assuming you did that, I would suspect a dying graphics card, but it could be just corrupted drivers.

Edit: Also check cables are secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

How much would a GTX 460 or HD6590 go for nowadays secondhand?

How much would a GTX 460 or HD6590 go for nowadays secondhand?

About 80 a piece is what I see them go for. Assume you meant 6950.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Just upgraded the BIOS on my motherboard and now my PC crashes everytime with a WHEA error.. should I revert the BIOS or contact GIGABYTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭game4it70

miralize wrote: »
    Just upgraded the BIOS on my motherboard and now my PC crashes everytime with a WHEA error.. should I revert the BIOS or contact GIGABYTE?

Did you clear the cmos or take the battery out after flash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I probably would have if I knew what either was and what they meant :)

I did do a reset in the BIOS after it failed the first few times

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement