Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest dissapointment of the year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DonOcelot

Also very surprised by the mention of "Red Dead Redemption". Thought it was one of the best games in years, probably goty.

• Can't understand the hate for Red Dead either, I think it's one of the best games I've played in a long time.
    On topic though, I think Enslaved was really poor. By far the most disappointing game I've bought this year. Trailers from E3 looked really good and the demo was good so I was really looking forward to it. Thought it all went downhill about halfway into it. Absolutely hated the pigsy character, can't believe they are doing dlc based solely on him! Traded it in as soon as I finished it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Anyone played FF14? I don't play RPGs but it's been deemed a big disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I wasn't too impressed with Red Dead either but having said that it was my favorite GTA type game. I was never really a fan of GTA but warmed to Red Dead due to the setting. In the End though it is GTA on horseback and got boring pretty quick.

So for me it's
    Operation Flashpoint 2
    Red Dead
    Halo Reach
    AVP
    Medal of Honour
    Wings of Prey (Thought they'd make il2 on the XBOX ...how wrong was I)
    Alan Wake ...(Boring boring boring)
    Fallout NV (Just doesn't have the same feeling as Fallout 3)
    I could probably go on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Kharn wrote: »
    I am absolutely stunned that people are saying Red Dead Redemption on this thread, I thought it was a fantastic return to form after being pretty disappointed at how wrong they got a lot of GTA IV. What did people hate about it? :confused:

I just found it boring, travelling on the poxy horse done my head in and was what prompted me to return it more so than anything else, i found it a bit easy also but i'm sure it gets tougher farther on than i played the game to. The story didn't grab me at all either.

I was never into cowboy movies or anything like that either so i guess that didn't help me enjoy it.

Well different strokes for different folks i guess. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Kersmash wrote: »
    this thread just reasserts the fact that more originality is needed in the gaming industry. the majority of disappointments have been from sequels and spinoffs. whats wrong with a game that needs no follow up? wheres the originality?

I wouldn't agree really, you're basing that solely based upon a thread entitled 'biggest disappointments'. Many of the games mentioned on an ongoing basis were actually massive commercial hits with strong critic and user reviews - for example Halo Reach and Bioshock 2. As a massive fan of both I thought both, particularly Halo Reach, were astoundingly good. You'll never get a game that everyone agrees on, but the industry produces what the market demands.....games like Halo Reach, Black Ops and Bioshock being good examples.

The only games I bought this year were Medal of Honor, Halo Reach, Black Ops, Bioshock 2 and I was extremely happy with all 3, and felt they offered amazing value for money when compared to most other games in the genre. Reach has an infinite lifespan for fans of the Halo series, Black Ops has an extremely lengthy one, Medal of Honor had a decent storyline SP but a fairly solid MP to back the shortcomings up (plus I traded it in in a BlackOps deal which meant I got more than I paid for it!), Bioshock not quite as much, but still a solid game and the DLC was rather good (protector trials was a good mini game and Minervas Den was a nice self contained storyline)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bioschock 2 - Started off good but towards the end this game just became a chore to complete. Bar the graphics where was the advancement in FPS gameplay, repetitive elements and anti-climatic battles.

COD: Black Ops - I'm tired of this railroad FPS crap, it's been done so many times for this series that you can actually tell when "sudden" scripted things will happen. Like watching an action movie using the same old cliches. That recent picture comparing Doom to COD level design hit the mark. Don't even get me started on the bugs, getting this game to run optimally on PC was too much work, even for me.

Medal Of Honour - Used to love these games but..........meh. 5 hours of gameplay? Fùck off.

AVP - I couldn't stress enough to people on how good AVP 2 was, especially in multiplayer so when this was being brought to the masses I was looking forward to it. Pity it was a crock of shìt.

Split Second - Crazy, destructive racing game I got on a whim and really enjoyed it for the first while. It had it's problems with clunky cars and pretty much recycling the levels throughout but this game was just about fun and it delivered. Multiplayer was good fun and a splitscreen for PC was very much welcomed.

Blur - A competitor to Split Second in the "daft racing" stakes, some liked it more but I didn't. It was poorly optimised for PC and though it was supposed to be a "Mario Kart" with real cars the powerups felt as powerful as a one-eyed mouse crying. I just went back to Split Second instead :pac:

Other Games I Played This Year:

FarCry 2 - After hearing how "great" this game was from friends I decided to get it and couldn't believe how buggy it was and how some elements were almost a step backwards in gaming (Respawning enemies at camps when it goes out of sight, really?) Repetitive, redundant missions that made you travel to the opposite side of the map, no matter where you accept the mission.............just to make you squeeze time out of the game travelling about.

Fallout 3 - Another game friends thought was amazing. Since I got a powerful laptop last Xmas I got this and was just...........underwhelmed. Felt like Oblivion with guns (especially since it had the same voice actors :pac:). Now, I loved Oblivion and still play it so I thought this type of game would be good but I just felt too cold from everything...........probably because everything was so grey too :D

Fallout:NV - After F3 left me disappointed I didn't bother with this until I was convinced by the thread here on the forum. I got it and love it, actually. I found it to be a faaaaar more interesting game plus the black humour made a nice return. It's got it's bugs but most are fairly odd (Merchants walking around with no clothes on, came across a NCR Trooper wearing the exact same armour and helmet as me, etc) and the crashes are few and far between. I'm at the entrance to Vault 22 now and from what I hear it's a jolly fun place :pac:

Dirt 2 - First rally game in years. Americanised idiots calling me "Dawg" in a rally game is bizzare but I enjoyed this game for the most part, kept me entertain and could just pick it up and go.

Overall not a great year, but not a disaster either. Fairly disappointing and I think that's because of the huge titles being so rushed that they were bugged to shìt and lack in their supposed gameplay.............games were never like this years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I can't see all the hate for Bioshock 2. Yes, the first one was better but it was still a fantastic game. and the online multiplayer was a fun addition too.

Anyway, IGN have put up their Top 10 Disappointments of 2010. But as usual with IGN, most of the picks are pretty daft.

Here you go: http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1136938p1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I can't see all the hate for Bioshock 2. Yes, the first one was better but it was still a fantastic game. and the online multiplayer was a fun addition too.

Anyway, IGN have put up their Top 10 Disappointments of 2010. But as usual with IGN, most of the picks are pretty daft.

I'm surprised Kane and Lynch 2 is on that IGN list. Most people assumed it'd be rubbish because of the first one, but it wasn't a bad game at all. Not great, but not something you'd regret playing. And the MP was pretty fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Bad Compnay 2 did'tn have a titan mode, any FPs without that is a dissapointment.

TFU2, i'm a starwars nut so anything to do with starwars really gets me into it. This was just bad, short, uinimaginative and for a starwats nut like me to notice it tells really how bad it was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It was reasonably well received at launch, but I think that 2K Marvins subsequent 'support' for the game has left a very bitter community in their wake. The last straw for many was the initial scrapping of DLC and a final patch for the PC version, particularly the way it was announced (I think that position may have been reversed but frankly I doubt anybody cares anymore). Personally I though that it was reasonably solid game if nothing special, although the actual gameplay mechanics were a vast improvement over the original.

I am glad that that the 'A' studio Irrational will be the ones developing Bioshock Infinite though.

humanji wrote: »
    I'm surprised Kane and Lynch 2 is on that IGN list. Most people assumed it'd be rubbish because of the first one, but it wasn't a bad game at all. Not great, but not something you'd regret playing. And the MP was pretty fun.

Very true. I would have thought that high pre-release expectations is a prequisite for a game to qualify as a major disappointment. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

marco_polo wrote: »
    Very true. I would have thought that high pre-release expectations is a prequisite for a game to qualify as a major disappointment. :)

A crap game getting a sequel usually suggests that the publishers think they can actually make something of it. Who knows, maybe they fired everybody who had anything to do with the last turkey??!?!

Nope! The second game was still ****e, and due to the above still a slight disappointment for me:o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Final Fantasy XIII by some distance. It's honestly the most boring game I've played in years. Just so absolutely tedious with a 20 hour tutorial stage that was really beyond my endurance. Couple that will Square's continuingly ****e character design and non-sensical 'story' and there was no way the pretty graphics could save it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Red Dead Redemption

Terrible multi-player which was too confusing to be fun. And not enough playing it
    Single player was ok for the first few hours.

Tiger Woods PGA 2011

Crappy controls, bad camera angles and every course had the same feeling to it cos of the graphics.

Killzone 2

Haven't a clue when this came out but it deserved to get a mention cos of the crap controls and sluggish movement, along with the fact every enemy looks the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

tman wrote: »
    A crap game getting a sequel usually suggests that the publishers think they can actually make something of it. Who knows, maybe they fired everybody who had anything to do with the last turkey??!?!

Nope! The second game was still ****e, and due to the above still a slight disappointment for me:o

Good point, didn't consider that perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Final Fantasy 13 , so bad I'm disgusted at myself for finishing it. I wanted to avoid spoilers and I'm not one for reviews of games for games I know I want so I ignored any press on it and so ended up playing it under the hope it would open up :mad: The story was actually OK in my book, i was the execution that murdered my faith in the series.

Mafia 2 was a massive disappointment for me, I could have been so much more. Map the size it was and nothing to do and a really short story with an open ending :mad:

Just Cause 2 : again massive map but no variety in the missions , and once all the novelty of the hijinks wore of it was a VERY dull and repetitive game.

Mass Effect 2 deserves a mention but only because I felt they dumbed it down compared to the 1st one I actually enjoyed it none the less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

FF 13 was absolute tripe. I love FF games and was really dissappointed with it. It did'nt even feel like a proper FF game to me.

I played just under 20 hours and the final straw was when i had been fighting a boss for about 20 minutes i had him down to about just a couple of thousand HP when he suddenly landed a few blows on the main character killing her and giving me a game over despite having the other two characters still alive. Not to mention the boring ridiculous story, annoying characters and having to effectively run down a corrider for the entire 20 hours i had played it.

I hate the game so much i intend to trade it in soon and i never trade in my games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Final Fantasy 13 was a pile of poo. Worst final fantasy game ive ever played.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

napoleon total war,thought it would be superior to empire but it was was'nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

FF 13 was absolute tripe. I love FF games and was really dissappointed with it. It did'nt even feel like a proper FF game to me.

I played just under 20 hours and the final straw was when i had been fighting a boss for about 20 minutes i had him down to about just a couple of thousand HP when he suddenly landed a few blows on the main character killing her and giving me a game over despite having the other two characters still alive. Not to mention the boring ridiculous story, annoying characters and having to effectively run down a corrider for the entire 20 hours i had played it.

I hate the game so much i intend to trade it in soon and i never trade in my games.

You'll probably get nothing for it at this stage, probably better to film yourself taking a lighter to it and mailing it to SquareEnix.

Might do that myself actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Since there's a thread for the best, I don't see why we shouldn't have a thread for the worst games of 2010 as well. It's mostly stuff that just disappointed me here, but anyway:

Final Fantasy XIII: Just an awful re-tooling of a series already in decline. Lacks any heart, the characters are up there with Square's worst and the dialogue is cringeworthy. The story is poor, and lacks any compelling reason to keep playing a game set in a bland, uninspiriing universe, devoid of life. The supposedly great combat also becomes far too easy and boring later on.

175812-tgs_final_fantasy_xiii_3_super.jpg

Halo Reach: I really liked the first Halo, those levels with a huge battlefield and plenty going on were impressive and immersive. Then Halo 2 made it a boring corridor shooter with the same group of enemies over and over. And in Reach it's no different, so that's a lot of sequels without making any worthwhile changes.

halo-reach1.jpg

Aliens vs. Preadtor: They really should have just released the classic version with HD graphics, because everything that Rebellion got right then, they got wrong in 2010. What an absolute mess of a game.

aliens-vs-predator.jpg

Bioshock 2: What a shameless cash in, a game that needed a sequel like I need a hole in the head. Just pointless and a complete waste of time. Bioshock wasn't good because of its fairly bog standard fps gameplay and without the story to fall back on the game just lands on its ass.

bioshock2review3.jpg

So what are your worst games and biggest let-downs of 2010 Zach?

Ps if anyone attempts to mention Deadly Premonition here, just watch yourself next time it rains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

weiland79 wrote: »

That was so last year. Get with the times Grandpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I rarely buy a dud as I just know what I like and usually take my own slant on reviews......but I did get a real bogey last year - Agarest: Generations of War.

Agarest.jpg

I love strategy games and I hadn't come across a truly bad one before so I put aside the mediocre reviews and bought it. It. is. so. DULL. Every battle is the same, requiring no skill or tactics. Couple this to an upgrade system which requires you to grind like never before (and I don't mind a bit of grind) for feck all and it becomes pointless. The translation is pathetic also. One to avoid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,773 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

penev10 wrote: »
    I rarely buy a dud as I just know what I like and usually take my own slant on reviews......but I did get a real bogey last year - Agarest: Generations of War.

Agarest.jpg

I love strategy games and I hadn't come across a truly bad one before so I put aside the mediocre reviews and bought it. It. is. so. DULL. Every battle is the same, requiring no skill or tactics. Couple this to an upgrade system which requires you to grind like never before (and I don't mind a bit of grind) for feck all and it becomes pointless. The translation is pathetic also. One to avoid.

It was made by Idea Factory, or as the japanese know them, Idea Fuck, where games go to get fucked. They are by far the worst videogame developer out there so you know next time to avoid their games like the plague!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

That was so last year. Get with the times Grandpa.

:D

I had no idea there was another thread, so maybe a merge is in order.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I wouldn't consider my disappointments of 2010 to be my worst of 2010 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,443 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Threads merged. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I wouldn't consider my disappointments of 2010 to be my worst of 2010 ;)

Your right, i just wanted to bump my own thread.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

mafia 2 what a lot rubbish

Advertisement