Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BOI shares steadily rising... Worth a punt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

TTNYWWBM wrote: »
    I think NAMA IMHO will boost the banks share prices.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I'm re-reading a few studies on behavioural finance at the moment. This thread, and similar ones truely are an indication that investors are irrational.

Some of the themes displayed here are:
    Framing of Decisions
    Loss Aversion
    Representativeness
    Anchoring
    The lack of understanding of Rational Choice
    Overreaction
    ..and the list goes on.

I'd urge the punters on here to learn just a little on some of these topics.
    You should be able to make better investment decisions after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

thank you TTNYWWBM,

A definite OPINION on here is quite something.!
    I simply dont know how things will pan out,
    regards ,Rugbyman

Would you not like to find out the basis of his opinion though. Having a definite opinion is all well and good if there's some logic behind it. Otherwise it's just the same as flipping a coin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭TTNYWWBM

ixus wrote: »
    I'm re-reading a few studies on behavioural finance at the moment. This thread, and similar ones truely are an indication that investors are irrational.

Framing of Decisions
    Loss Aversion
    Representativeness
    Anchoring
    The lack of understaning of Rational Choice
    Overreaction
    ..and the list goes on.

I totally agree ixus, I can see by the trades going through that the SP is almost totally influenced by small volume trades - punters.

Indeed we should all learn from this going forward.

Rugbyman, yes I've made a decision on my NAMA position, 60% in bonds is better to a balance sheet than 100% of toxic debts. On any standpoint this makes good business sense, common sense has to prevail. BOI + AIB will rise post NAMA. It's as simple as that. Common sense should prevail over pessimists, anoraks and bean counters. The punter has the power.

Henry Ford said something like; "If I think I can, or I think I can't I'll be right either way!" IF the punter has the confidence to hold pre NAMA they will see gains as the loans are transferred in blocks, and of course if they bottle it the prices will fall, as simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

TTNYWWBM wrote: »
    , and of course if they bottle it the prices will fall, as simple as that.

And then thats where I come in........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

The share price of BOI or AIB will rise and fall based on the confidence of the punter and if only the ECB would stop printing those nasty things about our great system everything would be great and rosy.

In fairness - if you believe this you deserve to lose money . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

pocketdooz wrote: »
    The share price of BOI or AIB will rise and fall based on the confidence of the punter and if only the ECB would stop printing those nasty things about our great system everything would be great and rosy.

Hello Pocketdooz, what do you see happining to aib-boi sp on run upto nama?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

ixus wrote: »

Framing of Decisions
    Loss Aversion
    Representativeness
    Anchoring
    The lack of understanding of Rational Choice
    Overreaction
    ..and the list goes on.

If only!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭TTNYWWBM

pocketdooz wrote: »

;) You must have misinterpreted what I wrote about the ECB, they meant no malice in releasing the recent reports they were just cold hard facts, but mostly related to other euro banks, it's the misinterpretation of that report that caused the freefall yesterday, were seeing an upturn of both bank SPs now as mostly investors and punters realise what actually happened!

It's quite a reckless report not 'nasty', as it was too generalistic not specific to each country BTW.

• Advertisement

It was specific to the eurozone of which we're a member so it's hardly reckless. It also doesn't mention any specific banks so you can't just exclude Irish banks because it doesn't suit your stance

Idu wrote: »
    It's tough being right the whole time. I'm still waiting for this sell off you called

You were saying.:D

on 21/5/2009:
    ranger4 wrote: »
    I expect the next leg down to support to start today with selloff friday.

Yeah Nostradamus you were only 27 days wrong!!

Plus if you check my next post I did call the need for trend support to be taken out before I would take a bearish view and that was taken out on Monday

on 21/5/2009:

Yeah Nostradamus you were only 27 days wrong

Better bit late than never, Leg down due just happened 27 days Late.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

ranger4 wrote: »
    Better bit late than never, Leg down due just happened 27 days Late.:D

jesus, that was some leg down! :)

hope you're not still holding those BOI shares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

so glad i convinced the other half to cash the other day.
    Couldnt convince her to cash in the last 10 grand though

hope you're not still holding those BOI shares

Can I ask you something, why are you telling me to lose e2000? It costs me 70c per day to roll it over. If it is a blip or correction it may go up in the future. Surely there is a chance of making it back again in the future? I don't feel good about this but I do have hope to recoup.

I don't plan to spreadbet again so I will have no opportunity to make anything back if I do close my trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

thinking of going short on boi tomorrow any thoughts

lucky-colm wrote: »

God I hope not :D

• Advertisement

AntiRip wrote: »
    God I hope not :D

lol i have shares bought aswell bought them at 1.60 so i hope they dont fall either but it seems to be the trend

lol i have shares bought aswell bought them at 1.60 so i hope they dont fall either but it seems to be the trend

I know yeah, you shouldn't ask me for advice judging from my last trade ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Yes, tell us why?

BOI gone from approx 2.25 to 1.66 (circa -25%) in 3 days.
    Could you have missed your opportunity?
    Has the shorting ban been lifted on Irish banks (I don't really pay attention to these anymore)?

Watch out for all the other punters who'll think it's a great time to buy!

AntiRip wrote: »
    If it is a blip or correction it may go up in the future. Surely there is a chance of making it back again in the future?

And there's an equal and in my opinion more likely chance that it will continue to fall making your loss bigger and bigger

I cant understand why people cant just get out of losers and then if you feel the market is going back up then buy back in again.

The only post where you've mentioned making money was a 121 quid profit. If you are taking that size of a winner then you can't afford to be going 2000 offside on any trade. This is a sure fire way to go broke.

Number one rule of successful trading is cut your losers.

What reasons can you give me to think that BOI is going to rally back to 2.13 in the near future?

How long can you let that trade go against you before all your capital is gone?

How much are you willing to lose before you realise that it may not be coming back anytime soon?

Why don't you plan on spreadbetting again? The fact that you can't recoup the loss through spreadbetting should be irrelevant in your thinking

You rushed into the live market without doing any proper research on the simulator. One post you've lost 900 quid of fake money and the next you're diving right in feet first

Thats just a few points. The amount of people on here with no grasp of any kind of trading discipline or even theory continues to astound me. Obviously I don't want to see anyone losing money especially when these things are so avoidable with even a little research and a trading plan.

Good luck with it

I cant understand why people cant just get out of losers and then if you feel the market is going back up then buy back in again.

That was my mistake to begin with.
    What reasons can you give me to think that BOI is going to rally back to 2.13 in the near future?

Haven't a clue. Could you tell me? Not being smart but nobody really know for sure. I can leave it there for months if I wanted to.
    How long can you let that trade go against you before all your capital is gone?

If the share price goes to 0.00 it will cost me e12,400. I have e125k in savings so I'm pretty safe there.
    Why don't you plan on spreadbetting again?

Obviously I haven't a clue what I'm doing and it's high risk
    You rushed into the live market without doing any proper research on the simulator. One post you've lost 900 quid of fake money and the next you're diving right in feet first

Market research on simulator?
    Good luck with it

Thanks

If you have 125k in savings then why not just take the 2k hit an move on? Not like it's making a huge dent or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Amigomenor

I would not recommend anyone buying shares in any financial institution at this moment in time. Volatility is very high and is actually misleading as the float on the shares is quite limited.
    The banks will ultimately lose 100% of their value. It may not happen this week but it shall happen before the year end.
    As for spread betting I would not recommend this as often you will find your position closed out before you even have a chance to react. The swing on the market will make your margins very wide. I hera you say stop/loss trading and yes that is probably an option but again the swings may mean that you could hit that on the day in question if an institution starts buying/offloading the shares.
    The reality is that the market and the economy in general are in desperate trouble. The governments of the world think printing money will work but that will just lead to currences crashing. I have no confidence in the governmets to figure this out but then i would not have confidence in the best mind in the worlk working this out.
    My suggestion is prepare for a very rocky future with social unrest, food shortages and general enoconimic and social woes. I hate to have to say it but we are f*cked

Amigomenor wrote: »
    I would not recommend anyone buying shares in any financial institution at this moment in time. Volatility is very high and is actually misleading as the float on the shares is quite limited.
    The banks will ultimately lose 100% of their value. It may not happen this week but it shall happen before the year end.
    As for spread betting I would not recommend this as often you will find your position closed out before you even have a chance to react. The swing on the market will make your margins very wide. I hera you say stop/loss trading and yes that is probably an option but again the swings may mean that you could hit that on the day in question if an institution starts buying/offloading the shares.
    The reality is that the market and the economy in general are in desperate trouble. The governments of the world think printing money will work but that will just lead to currences crashing. I have no confidence in the governmets to figure this out but then i would not have confidence in the best mind in the worlk working this out.
    My suggestion is prepare for a very rocky future with social unrest, food shortages and general enoconimic and social woes. I hate to have to say it but we are f*cked

so if your prediction comes true we are going to be a governmentless and lawless country with inflation escalating at enormous rates

so the money in your bank wont buy yuou a loaf of bread so u might aswell gamble and see if u can make enough to buy lots of high inflationary loafs of bread or loose the lot and still not be able to buy a loaf of bread

you are f***ed if you do and you are f^^^ked if you dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

Did it go down because of Obama's plan or will it tomorrow or does this have any barings on worldwide banks at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Amigomenor wrote: »

go back to sleep buddy!!!!

Advertisement