Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best ways to allow my client update her own content on her website

• 25-06-2014 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am an IT student finished my second year and so far have only done web & user experience (no code) and then web development 1 where I learned html, css, javascript and a bit of jquery. I know how to make a front end website so for the project I have to do I am just making a front end prototype. I hope for it to be a real website for a friend of mine once I have learned more in Web Development 2 where I will learn the back end stuff like php etc.

My friend wants to have a blog page and so far I have been looking at wordpress. The website will be mainly a brochure portfolio style website which will remain as is as far as content but the blog page I want her to be able to edit it and have it on the page just like wordpress but within her own website.

What is the best way to go about this? I want to do as much as possible myself but I need some sort of cms for blog posts. I want the blog page to have the same css as the website.

Should I just wait until I can create my own cms and just keep working on the front end? or have you any advice as to how to go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭daymobrew

WordPress can do the blog and the brochure pages in one site.
    Download and install WordPress and create the appropriate pages and let your friend blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Regarding building your own CMS: it is very tempting. Usually a developer does create something at some point in their (early) career which does some sort of CMS functionality. But it's nigh-on impossible for one person to replicate what a dedicated, well-funded team of experienced developers have spent over 10 years on, be it WordPress, Magento, Joomla, etc.

I'm not saying it can't be done, and with modern tools it sure is easier, but a CMS is a large, complex problem with many potential features and layers of functionality and unless your niche is specific and your scope is very tightly defined then it's almost always better not to reinvent the wheel.

Happily, the one instance it's always a good idea to build your own CMS is when you want to learn how to do so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mardigra_xo

I have the wordpress installed was messing around with it for hours last night. I have the site layed out with my own css and html structure that I developed from an online template I found. I don't want the website to be hosted from wordpress as I can't create my design fully there.

Once the domain is bought and she decides on hosting is there a way to just have the blog navigation link from the site to go to the wordpress blog without the wordpress.com in the link? Can I have it that when they click from the site it will still be like example.com/blog

I can then just make the blog look as close to my own design as possible using their themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Wordpress.org is the self-hosted option. Download and install on their own webspace/domain.

Another feature she wants is to set up on online store which again she will need to manage herself. I know that there are tons of things she can use like shopify and embed it on to the website? For security reasons I think developing my own store would be a bit too difficult at my level. What best way to go about this? She wants to spend as much as necessary as the products she is selling are for her job so they are willing to help out

• Advertisement

Another feature she wants is to set up on online store which again she will need to manage herself. I know that there are tons of things she can use like shopify and embed it on to the website? For security reasons I think developing my own store would be a bit too difficult at my level. What best way to go about this? She wants to spend as much as necessary as the products she is selling are for her job so they are willing to help out

Woocommerce is an excellent plugin for Wordpress, and will allow you to run a website/portfolio, blog and shop all together in one place.

..or you could do all of this in Shopify.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I can't help but think you're taking on too much, too soon mardigra.

Start with a practice html website, design it yourself then get it onto the web.
    When you've cracked that, get WordPress installed and running on your own website. Practice customising the themes, installing off-the-shelf themes, writing your own themes even.
    Next look at WooCommerce or one of the other WordPress e-commerce plugins.

Once you've mastered that lot, you might be ready to practice on a site for a friend/friendly client.

Avoid any of the hosted solutions for now (Shopify/WordPress.com) as you'll be missing out on some really important parts of the learning process.

Graham wrote: »
    I can't help but think you're taking on too much, too soon mardigra.

Start with a practice html website, design it yourself then get it onto the web.
    When you've cracked that, get WordPress installed and running on your own website. Practice customising the themes, installing off-the-shelf themes, writing your own themes even.
    Next look at WooCommerce or one of the other WordPress e-commerce plugins.

Once you've mastered that lot, you might be ready to practice on a site for a friend/friendly client.

Avoid any of the hosted solutions for now (Shopify/WordPress.com) as you'll be missing out on some really important parts of the learning process.

For my project I just have to create a front end so it won't need a lot I am just thinking when Its created how to go about finishing it off to be a real hosted website. I am only creating a prototype but still have to research all aspects I want to include it in my portfolio once its up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Develop and host it on a local server on your own computer first (Use MAMP or WAMP) until its ready to go live,

When its complete then you just zip up the files/database and transfer them to your real hosting provider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Also be aware there is another learning curve if you want to bring your design into wordpress (Creating a template/ or modifying a template) so for the project don't sign off on using worpress until you think you can create templates.

if you want a easier time creating a templates modx is another cms that i have used and it is much easier to template modx.com

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

This is not a for/against WordPress just to clarify as there seems to be some confusion about what WordPress is (I have seen this on other posts as well).

WordPress is available it 2 different ways

1. On WordPress.com - "free" for basic sites with limits on themes and functions. Great for personal blogs "family" sites etc. If you want extra functions, domain name then charges apply. Your site is hosted on WordPress.com

2. WordPress.org it is the same WordPress (still free) but you host it with your own hosting provider with your own domain name the same as any other website.
    WordPress can be just a blog or have "pages" (like any other website) and a blog, all editable from the same "dashboard".
    With the use of plugins and custom themes it is then capable of doing as much as any other system.

You can use WordPress as a cms on a completely custom site or just add it in as a folder on a static site and only use WordPress for the blog part.

Not a complete explanation I know but I hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I have the wordpress installed was messing around with it for hours last night. I have the site layed out with my own css and html structure that I developed from an online template I found. I don't want the website to be hosted from wordpress as I can't create my design fully there.

Once the domain is bought and she decides on hosting is there a way to just have the blog navigation link from the site to go to the wordpress blog without the wordpress.com in the link? Can I have it that when they click from the site it will still be like example.com/blog

I can then just make the blog look as close to my own design as possible using their themes.

there is a 'transfer your content over to your own domain plugin' afaik or some automated way of doing it.

what ever the detractors say wordpress is quiet good and there are loads of plugins that you can use to make your site better and more secure from a users point of view the backend interface is easy to use.

I found the template creation a bit hard when i first saw it though so factor in time to learn it, I suggest a week at least.

Advertisement