Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Experience in web design?

• 14-06-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm 17. I'm really into web design and I spend most of my free time doing it. I'd love to make a career out of it and it's summer so I was wondering how should I go about doing it? I'm not sure there's anywhere I'd be able to get work experience in web design. Anyone have any tips? I'd like to feel like I'm making progress and being productive rather than coding and designing for fun like I've been doing for years. Thank you and also, sorry if this is in the wrong section!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Hi Brenjod

Just build an online portfolio/CV to showcase your skills, incorporate whatever technologies you're skilled in into the design.

When I was starting out I did some websites for hotels that didn't have a website, and included them on my portfolio site - I got their print brochure and built a site around it. That was a long time ago though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NeDark

cormee wrote: »
    Hi Brenjod

Just build an online portfolio/CV to showcase your skills, incorporate whatever technologies you're skilled in into the design.

When I was starting out I did some websites for hotels that didn't have a website, and included them on my portfolio site - I got their print brochure and built a site around it. That was a long time ago though!

Hello, how did you find hotels that wanted a website?Did you get paid for it?

As the OP I am keen on web design but I have never worked as designer.

NeDark wrote: »
    Hello, how did you find hotels that wanted a website?Did you get paid for it?

As the OP I am keen on web design but I have never worked as designer.

No, they weren't actually for the hotels, I just did the sites, hosted them on my portfolio site and told the person who was interviewing me, the sites were the real thing, but they just hadn't been deployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I would contact local clubs and charities and find out if they wanted a site. I have found it to be a great learning experience as they usually are very appreciative that you are doing something for them.

My experience with doing work for commercial interests is quiet different if you offer to do it for free they say fine go ahead but really do not engage with you if a company needs a website they will hire a prefessional and have no interest in humouring a willing person starting.

sheesh wrote: »
    My experience with doing work for commercial interests is quiet different if you offer to do it for free they say fine go ahead but really do not engage with you if a company needs a website they will hire a prefessional and have no interest in humouring a willing person starting.

Same here, that's why I ended up doing the fictitious sites. I chose them over club sites because I thought, whether correct or not, employers would prefer to see commercial websites. But that was a long time ago, 15 years or so. Yikes. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

cormee wrote: »
    Same here, that's why I ended up doing the fictitious sites. I chose them over club sites because I thought, whether correct or not, employers would prefer to see commercial websites. But that was a long time ago, 15 years or so. Yikes. :eek:

thats actually a good idea, I suppose it requires less of a jump of imagination by a potential client and also you can use industry specific apps.

Advertisement