Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City jobs (asking/offering)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Cathal O

I was lucky enough to get a job last week. All I will say is that you will need a thick skin, for the one job i got a reply i literally got 40 CVs sitting in rot. What probably helped me was attaching a reference to my CV in he envelope from a previous workplace so that they see (whether they want to read it or not) that you are trustworthy , hardworking etc.
    Go in and ask for the manager, dont say what it is in relation to as the staff will usually fob you off saying he isnt in. So go in ask for the ,manager, shake hands and say you are looking for a job, you will get a lot of rejections, but keep looking, jobs are there, just keep looking

• There's a few restaurants looking for people - think Kelly's might be one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Check the Galway Advertiser classfields under situations vacant, there were a few jobs going suitable for students in the last issue. Go around to the big supermarkets too, there always good for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Theres a lot of students leaving jobs now after the summer so its a good time to check it out. In saying that however there will also be a lot of students looking for jobs too. Just carpet bomb everywhere with cvs. We've all been there and its quite demoralising but in this climate its the only decent way of securing something. I recommend you register with some recruitment agencies too. There seems to be a few shops in town with signs in the window the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

Eddie Rockets on Eglinton Street and Subway in the Eyre Square Shopping Centre both have signs in the window looking for staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Dominoes in westside had an ad for staff in their window at weekend.
    Also the French bakery/cafe on Mainguard St had an ad up last week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Vivo in prrospect hill are looking for night time staff, not for the faint hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Skeff want bar staff, Subway in Eyre Square Centre have had a wanted sign up for nearly 3 weeks at least now.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

I know people are sick to death with post asking for jobs available but im gonna have to add to that pile! Would anyone know of anywhere going part-time for a student? Just lost my job back home after 5 years working their and need a job to get me through this year in college. I have left CV's into CP's, Carbon, Argos and the Salthill Hotel as I have previous bar experience.
    Any other places people have seen that are looking for staff??:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Hi, I'm a first year in NUIG and does anybody know any ways of making money? Like seeing vacancies, advertisements, or other ways of making money( eg: Handing out flyers, promoting products, etc.). I actually have no job experience so it makes looking for a job a littlebit difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

im in the same boat same sh** different place im in DIT tho it very difficult just register at your local job centre in galway or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

if you are 18 yo, include on a cv that you will work for the actual minimum wage €6.92 (not €8.65)

http://www.jobsguideireland.com/minimum-wage-rate-in-ireland/

at the very least it will get your cv noticed which can be the most important thing

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭moldypeach

I think Argos are hiring for christmas staff. Not sure when they start though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

no work experience? what were you doing till now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Gonna be tough without any experience to be honest. Just carpet bomb town with your cvs. The cinemas can hire from time to time too.

Yeah, I was thinking of volunterring for a couple of things, so at least i'd have something to put down as a reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Do volunteer if you don't have much work experience. It looks great on the CV and a lot of businesses have charity connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

No work experience at 18?? Might be harder to find work with no work experience, especially with so many out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Do volunteer if you don't have much work experience. It looks great on the CV and a lot of businesses have charity connections.

Probably your best bet.

I got a retail job during the summer without any experience. But I had loads of volunteer experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Carolanne..

Hey , I know that if you go to the students union and give them your timetable they work around it and give you a few hours, maybe in the su shop or in one of the cafes, well they used too anyways give it a go sure

• Advertisement

@Carolanne..
    Yeah, but like if they don't it'd be kind of awkward. I guess i'll just ask them then give them my timetable another time, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

The likes of Smyths, Tesco & Argos will all be taking on staff from now to Christmas. Not ideal if you are looking for something more permanent but it'd be better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

People have been saying to me for ages " Oh it's so hard to get a job in Galway these days and I really need work "..
    I always ask " Did you try here? " They say no, I ask about a different place, they say no .. and it goes on and on.

There are LOADS of jobs in Galway.

Imagine you have no food to put on the table or you owe the bank thousands of euro, and all you have is a full day and 50 cvs and your clean smart clothes on - if you want a job you'll get a job.

I never went to college but I've never been stuck for work. It doesn't really matter if you are working in 'paddys shop' or digging a hole, the basic wage is still the same. Get that wage and if you aren't happy with it then look for something better on your day off.

Gave my brother and sister the same kick up the arse about a month ago when they were 'looking really hard for work'. Now she is working in a bar getting 30 hours a week while doing college and he got a job helping delivier bread at the weekend while he does college during the week. if you haven't tried 50+ places in a day ( which is loads of time ) then you are the only one stopping yourself from getting work.

Best of luck, hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Seen a notice last week in SuperValue, Ballybane looking for part/full time shop assitants. Need to hand in CV to manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

-Vega- wrote: »
    Gave my brother and sister the same kick up the arse about a month ago when they were 'looking really hard for work'. Now she is working in a bar getting 30 hours a week while doing college and he got a job helping delivier bread at the weekend while he does college during the week. if you haven't tried 50+ places in a day ( which is loads of time ) then you are the only one stopping yourself from getting work.

Best of luck, hope you get sorted.
    Pretty much this. I haven't had trouble getting work although I haven't sent out 50 CV's either but I did look around and applied in the right places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

There are LOADS of jobs in Galway.
    Yeah Vega, there are if you are prepared to work for low pay and unsocial hours with nil job security. Great for single people, students etc. Not so great when you have a family and committments. Try finding a childminder to cover you for a 12 hour day or for the evening or weekend shifts? Try and find the money to pay for it?

It's also great when you're young, hit about 35 and you'll find you're too old for low paid service jobs.

For the younger age group mentioned you are right. There is very little excuse for not finding some work to keep you going until the dream job comes up.

xflyer wrote: »
    Yeah Vega, there are if you are prepared to work for low pay and unsocial hours with nil job security. Great for single people, students etc. Not so great when you have a family and committments. Try finding a childminder to cover you for a 12 hour day or for the evening or weekend shifts? Try and find the money to pay for it?

It's also great when you're young, hit about 35 and you'll find you're too old for low paid service jobs.

For the younger age group mentioned you are right. There is very little excuse for not finding some work to keep you going until the dream job comes up.

Yup I hear ya. The thread was part time job not part time career so just wanted to make a reply that address that in the reply. But I agree none the less :)

The likes of Smyths, Tesco & Argos will all be taking on staff from now to Christmas. Not ideal if you are looking for something more permanent but it'd be better than nothing.

That'd be perfect. I'd have a reference to put on my CV and, maybe, they'd accept me back for summer. The only problem is, wouldn't they get the people who worked during the summer to work for the christmas period?

Oh btw thank Vega for the motivational speechXD

I've been watching too much Any Given Sunday :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Tym wrote: »

That'd be perfect. I'd have a reference to put on my CV and, maybe, they'd accept me back for summer. The only problem is, wouldn't they get the people who worked during the summer to work for the christmas period?

Oh btw thank Vega for the motivational speechXD

Some staff will stay on but smyths opens til 11pm for 7 weeks so they will be taking people on to cover those hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement