Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Harps wrote: »
    Making good progress again for the past couple of days, New Londo Ruins finished yesterday, heard a lot about the Four Kings but with Havels Armour they were a pushover. Catacombs done this evening and I'm trying Demon Ruins at the moment, Ceaseless Discharge was simple but having trouble with the Firesage Demon now, fought him twice but can't seem to get close to beating him

Same strategies as the stray demon and asylum demon should work. Stay behind him and get in close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Same strategies as the stray demon and asylum demon should work. Stay behind him and get in close.

Agreed, getting him to use his flying attack was key and being light enough to be able to double roll away. Every time he started to "fart" it was curtains for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yep that was my problem, he kept jumping backwards and using the fart thing as I was running up to him. Beat him easily on my third try for some reason, Centipede just beaten on my first attempt as well so making good progress. Found Lost Izalith and an oddly downbeat Solaire but gonna go back and clear out the loot from the Ruins first

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

calex71 wrote: »
    Will that sin carry with me to ng+?

No, NG+ resets stuff like that.

Any advice on where to go next? I have Lost Izalith, Tomb of the Giants, Dukes Archives and whatever's past the big dragon on the bridge open to me at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Any advice on where to go next? I have Lost Izalith, Tomb of the Giants, Dukes Archives and whatever's past the big dragon on the bridge open to me at the moment

sens fortress? then onto anor lando
    sens fortress is near the bell on top of the church
    just one floor above were the blacksmith is, a bonfire should be facing the pathway
    unless you already done that

F1ngers wrote: »
    No, NG+ resets stuff like that.

Good to hear, I'd dread the repercussions from that slaughter :D

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    sens fortress? then onto anor lando
    sens fortress is near the bell on top of the church
    just one floor above were the blacksmith is, a bonfire should be facing the pathway
    unless you already done that

Yeah I have Sens and Anor Londo done already, just Dukes, Tomb of Giants and Lost Izalith left, not sure if there's another area past the dragon

Yeah I have Sens and Anor Londo done already, just Dukes, Tomb of Giants and Lost Izalith left, not sure if there's another area past the dragon

You been to great hollow and ash lake?, which dragon?

Painted World of Ariamis is so full of win, I was terrified of entering for so long since it's one way , but I would say to others go earlier than i did, I went when all I have left is dukes archive to do.

Is it a PvP area? seems to be a lot of Dragon covenant signs on the ground, claimed me 6 dragon scales from them, and nearly all seem to fight fair , bow and wait till they are sure you are set to engage unlike invaders who seem to like a cheap kill :mad:

2 sent messages and as soon as I saw them pop I though here we go more abuse, but they were just good game messages, once i had my soap stone set instead of my flask and the guy recognized the animation of me shrugging unable to use it and actually backed off to allow me to switch it he still beat me, and sent a message saying "lol soapstone still on dude :D"

Oh is the DLC worth getting as I'm nearing the point where I'll be able to access it hence me holding off on Dukes? I have the conditions met but for that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Painted World of Ariamis is so full of win, I was terrified of entering for so long since it's one way , but I would say to others go earlier than i did, I went when all I have left is dukes archive to do.

Is it a PvP area? seems to be a lot of Dragon covenant signs on the ground, claimed me 6 dragon scales from them, and nearly all seem to fight fair , bow and wait till they are sure you are set to engage unlike invaders who seem to like a cheap kill :mad:

2 sent messages and as soon as I saw them pop I though here we go more abuse, but they were just good game messages, once i had my soap stone set instead of my flask and the guy recognized the animation of me shrugging unable to use it and actually backed off to allow me to switch it he still beat me, and sent a message saying "lol soapstone still on dude :D"

Oh is the DLC worth getting as I'm nearing the point where I'll be able to access it hence me holding off on Dukes? I have the conditions met but for that area.

well worth it :D
    very hard i think as well :L considerable more hard then the actually main game haha

Painted World is great for soul farming as well, those slug things drop around 7k and they're right next to the bonfire. Its a simple enough area as long as you avoid the toxic hollows
    You been to great hollow and ash lake?, which dragon?

I've done The Hollow and Ash Lake yeah, only Dukes, Tomb of Giants and Lost Izalith left that I know of. The dragon I'm talking about is the one near the start that you get the Drake Sword from, I haven't tried crossing the bridge yet where he breathes the fire, I know a quick google search would tell me if there's anything past it but I'm trying not to spoil things where possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

DLC is definitely worth it. Access to new armor and weapons, biggish enough area, new sorceries (Dark Magic), new items plus the boss fights are the toughest in the game overall I find. As soon as you enter the DLC area you have to fight one of the most rage inducing bosses ever :D

P
    The dragon I'm talking about is the one near the start that you get the Drake Sword from, I haven't tried crossing the bridge yet where he breathes the fire, I know a quick google search would tell me if there's anything past it but I'm trying not to spoil things where possible

Oh it's a back way into undead parish it brings you up where you exit that tower with the black knight after going under the bridge and climbing the ladder after the 3 rats. The Sunlight Altar is there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

I know there's a tattoo board elsewhere, but I suspect this will get more interest here. Darksign tattoo done on the back of my left calf.

264218.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

ha ha yesh bay :D
    Send it to From and see if you get a discount on DS2

Bed of Chaos..easily the worst boss so far, continuously being one-shotted

Bed of Chaos..easily the worst boss so far, continuously being one-shotted

Yup, I had so much rage over that one, not helped by either the long run back to him or the fact that Miss Calex took over and got it 1st try :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I'm beginning to get sick of this game again. The difficulty seems artificial. I just want to progress rather than repeating the same parts. I'm tempted to look up cheats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Grimebox wrote: »
    I'm beginning to get sick of this game again. The difficulty seems artificial. I just want to progress rather than repeating the same parts. I'm tempted to look up cheats

Sounds like you are just not learning from your deaths everything has a pattern.

• Advertisement

You should at the bare minimum have the wiki open at all times, it's one of the few times I'd not class it as cheating etc , fail to prepare and prepare to fail!!

The wiki shouldn't spoil much if anything as theres not much to spoil, I'm not far off the end but no way would I have gotten so far with out some sort of guide to help me find better stuff and explain not only what works but why also!!!!

Walking around different areas for example in the same armor you have been using all game is pure madness, different situations require different gear and approaches.

What part are you up to and whats giving you problems?

Edit: I'll give you an example, I did not realise that when you one hand attack with a spear that your shield stays up , that can help in some cases big time but others it's not so effective, also arrows!!!! never forget that in some cases you can take an enemy out from range with out getting them aggroed even , and arrows are cheap as chips !!!!!!! so you can thing the herd that way in many cases, also actually looking at what armor really protects you from is vital , no point having the best and heaviest set protecting you from physical attacks if you are going to get poisoned or toxic from a few hits.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Two thirds of the way through NG+ and have yet to change from the starting armour. Wanderer is a pretty good all rounder when it comes to resistence though I suppose.

I just beat the Gaping Dragon and died twice soon after losing 40k+ souls. It was my own fault for not just levelling up straight away. I died by getting knocked off in such a gimmicky way.

I don't really understand the various different armours to be honest. How am I supposed to know what kind of monster does what kind of damage? I was using wanderer armour until I came across a knight set in the garden place which seemed better.

I just beat the Gaping Dragon and died twice soon after losing 40k+ souls. It was my own fault for not just levelling up straight away. I died by getting knocked off in such a gimmicky way.

I don't really understand the various different armours to be honest. How am I supposed to know what kind of monster does what kind of damage? I was using wanderer armour until I came across a knight set in the garden place which seemed better.

This my point, I was doing the same wiki wiki wiki !!!!!

Higher rated armor in terms of over all numbers is usually very heavy limiting your movement and evasion so it actually could end up causing you to get hit more as a result. Also did you summon Solaire for the gaping dragon fight? His sign isn't so obvious there it's behind a pillar out of plain sight.

I'm changing armor now only for bosses though, for example I used Havels set which is really heavy but during the 4 kings fight I wasn't looking to roll away I was looking to stand in front of them and deal damage and heal between stamina recharges, but in blighttown I was changing 2 or 3 different sets, like going with the gold hemmed one for it's resistance to poison and swaping in the spider shield for the same reason and the rusty iron ring

I used the Wanderer set for ages, had it at +6 so it was pretty good and kept me under 25%. Using Havels Ring now so I've got a mix of Ornstein & Gold Hemmed, haven't really changed it about much as I rarely have much trouble in general gameplay but for boss fights its always good to beef up your resistances

Beat Bed of Chaos finally after about 15 tries, a bit of an anti-climax to find that the boss was
    a bug
    but good to have it out of the way
    I messed up both Solaire and Siegmeyers stories as well, killed all the octopuses before Siegmeyer got there so his story wont continue and I had to kill Solaire

Meant to say also Grimebox , Mick and Harps seem to have some differing approaches to me in terms of set ups etc, a prime example of finding what works best for you!! This is why I'll harp on about the wiki again it will offer you several differing approaches and explain what weapons etc work and why after a bit you will be able to work this out for yourself, one massive hump for me to get over in this was that the game or manual tell you absolutely nothing , the clue for me was when I looked at the back of the box and saw the url for the wiki.

The wikis are invaluable, seriously. They were the differene between me giving up on this game after a couple of hours and it eventually becoming one of my favourite games ever!

Also, don't be afiraid to summon other players to help you with the bosses. I'd try a boss a few times and if I wasn't making any head way I'd just summon someone to help, would usually get past it within a couple of attempts then if not on the first. To try and avoid invasions I'd stay hollow for as long as possible until I was absolutely sure I needed to sommon someone.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The wikis are invaluable, seriously. They were the differene between me giving up on this game after a couple of hours and it eventually becoming one of my favourite games ever!

Also, don't be afiraid to summon other players to help you with the bosses. I'd try a boss a few times and if I wasn't making any head way I'd just summon someone to help, would usually get past it within a couple of attempts then if not on the first. To try and avoid invasions I'd stay hollow for as long as possible until I was absolutely sure I needed to sommon someone.

Also be summoned yourself once you have beaten a boss!!!!!!!! I usually go back and drop my sign at the fog door or where it was before the boss and wait a few minutes to see if anyone will call me, great way of making souls without putting what you earned from the boss yourself at risk.

I've beaten Gargoyles and Gaping dragon with summons so far. After trying around 10 times myself, I watched as they killed it with relative ease. I would use all my items and it would be even harder after repeated attempts so summoning was the only option of than grinding. I could go around and grind up souls to rebuy stuff/level up, but to be frank, fcuk that.

I'm just a little sore after losing that 40k souls. Its three times more than I've ever had in this game so far. The game is only going to be even harder after losing that

• Advertisement

I've beaten Gargoyles and Gaping dragon with summons so far. After trying around 10 times myself, I watched as they killed it with relative ease. I would use all my items and it would be even harder after repeated attempts so summoning was the only option of than grinding. I could go around and grind up souls to rebuy stuff/level up, but to be frank, fcuk that.

I'm just a little sore after losing that 40k souls. Its three times more than I've ever had in this game so far. The game is only going to be even harder after losing that

I know it's easy for me to say but 40k souls???? It's absolutely nothing to lose at this stage, also you remember the guy you met after killing the gargoyles? He sells rings of sacrifice which break when you die but you keep the souls, handy if you need to carry a lot of them, and also never forget you can use a homeward bone at anytime to bring you back to the last bonfire.

Advertisement