Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Web design course

• 12-04-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice in relation to good quality web design courses that can be done via Online/Distance learning.

I'm after moving to the ecommerce area of my company and am responsible for the website and would like to have some knowledge about what I'm doing.

The reason I'm looking at online/distance instead of classroom is down to the time that I can commit due to family commitments.

Mods if this should be in the edu forum please feel free to move.

Thanks

CBTC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Lynda.com. First week is free, $25pm after that. You can cancel and/or restart at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Esa1203

Which e-commerce system are you working with?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭City boy turned country

There is a CMS system for updating our website. The other site is a secure site using u/n & password with HTML/Java etc used. Users can complete forms for different functions which are then stored in the database.

Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Esa1203

I presumed you were going to manage your company's e-commerce system, in which case it would have been better to concentrate on learning the e-commerce software.

It looks like you are also going to work with html/java so how much knowledge do you have in that field? As I understand you now you are looking for webdesign courses but that's so general. You have hundreds of specialities to choose from. Is it only design work, ie front end development, user interface design etc. or are you expected to do coding?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭City boy turned country

Not a lot of knowledge of it at the moment to be honest.

It is design/frontend work at the moment but I've been told that i'm expected to move into the coding side eventually with money for a qualification in the coding side when the time comes.

So if there are any recommended courses for both frontend/design and then another for the coding side or is it realistic/possible to do both at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BlueJohn

I wouldn't use lynda. You dont get teh project files unless you pay premium, which is bloody stupid. Look at treehouse I have only joined it in the last 2 weeks and its great. Its mainly focused around web/app development.

Its 25 dollars a month but you get all the files. can even download the vids if you want. Lovely design and structure to the site with set paths for things like front/back end or app development.

You can get a 15 trial as well. if you are going to sign up please use my referral link lol! (Damn I cant post it lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mandymandy

Hi everybody,
    Just wondering has anyone attended to Senior college dun laoghaire to part time web design course?
    Advanced Web Design/Dreamweaver/CSS - FETAC L6
    (if u copy paste in google you`ll find on scd . ie website)

Is it good? Do they explain the things well enough to be able to understand as a beginner?
    Is the award Web Authoring (C30148) Component Certificate = fetac level 6?
    HOw many times per week is the course on?

What about this, has anyone tryed this course:
    Web Programming - PHP and MySQL
    Does it make sens to start this without web design skills and programming skill? i would like to learn some things like this but im not sure that this is for beginners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

mandymandy wrote: »
    Hi everybody,
    Just wondering has anyone attended to Senior college dun laoghaire to part time web design course?
    Advanced Web Design/Dreamweaver/CSS - FETAC L6

Is it good? Do they explain the things well enough to be able to understand as a beginner?
    Is the award Web Authoring (C30148) Component Certificate = fetac level 6?
    HOw many times per week is the course on?

What about this, has anyone tryed this course:
    Web Programming - PHP and MySQL
    Does it make sens to start this without web design skills and programming skill? i would like to learn some things like this but im not sure that this is for beginners?

First of all decide what you want to study - web design, or web development. Then the choice of course should be fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mandymandy

I' would like web design and than web programming, i've read that this is the best way if you want both.
    But i want to know how good are these courses in scd because i've seen many others more expensive and they arennt fetac recognized, in scd are cheap and fetac recognized, but i couldnt find any review about those.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

most part time courses that are run over 10 or 20 weeks are not certified. the only ones i could find was fetac level 5 and 6 in web authoring. web design/development is more portfolio based. you would probably be better looking at full time courses that are run on a part-time basis in institute of technologys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

mandymandy wrote: »
    I' would like web design and than web programming, i've read that this is the best way if you want both.
    But i want to know how good are these courses in scd because i've seen many others more expensive and they arennt fetac recognized, in scd are cheap and fetac recognized, but i couldnt find any review about those.

There are literally 100s of free or cheap courses online. Why not have a go at something on Udemy?

1 Buy Hosting and a domain. You can design on your own machine but i think its motivating to have a site online to show off your progress :cool:
    2 Pick a decent course. 70% off this for the next 2 days using code STANDOUT
    3 get experimenting and work through the course
    4 If you've any questions ask away and people here will help.

If you get really brave you can check https://www.coursera.org/ . pretty much the best online courses going and completely free. :D

Advertisement