Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

yes, im a wimp

• 20-01-2008 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭

the saga of the RAM continues, i got it this week (very speedily) and now comes the task of installing it none of my more computer savvy friends are really up for the task, so is there anywhere in carlow i could bring my laptop and the ram were they would install it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

nerin wrote: »
    the saga of the RAM continues, i got it this week (very speedily) and now comes the task of installing it none of my more computer savvy friends are really up for the task, so is there anywhere in carlow i could bring my laptop and the ram were they would install it?

Most laptops just have a a compartment cover that you can slide out after removing one screw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Don't bring it in to a computer shop.

I don't want to stereotype all computer shops with the label of cowboys but a lot of shops would justify that title.

It is only a two minute job. Just look up a tutorial online or your laptop manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I'm not sure what type of computer you have but Fremen very kindly posted me a link to a video clip on YouTube showing how to do this on an XPS 1530.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7R5VYsdxIg
    I'm sure the principle is the same for other laptops and it looks very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

As stated above its morealess going to be a hatch on the under side of the laptop retained in place by a set of screws. Once removed its a case of installing the ram by clipping it into place in its slot, then replacing the cover and retightening the screws.

Don't bring it in to a computer shop.

I disagree, takes someone who knows about computers a certain length of time to gain that knowledge. They can quote a price to install the ram and if the customer accepts that price well thats their business. Or if they felt suitably confident they could try installing it themselves. They could also fry the laptop in the process, I've known people to try installing ram with the machine still on (!) and only install the ram module half way not locking it in place fully, then powering on the machine and causing a short which has fried motherboards.
    So in essence don't put down the tradesman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

majiktripp wrote: »
    They could also fry the laptop in the process, I've known people to try installing ram with the machine still on (!) and only install the ram module half way not locking it in place fully, then powering on the machine and causing a short which has fried motherboards.
    Just look up a tutorial online or your laptop manual.

:)

When I first got a virus I brought it into a computer shop. They re-installed the OS and charged me €180.
    Now, if i knew then what I know now all it would have cost me is 10 minutes.

We all have to have to start somewhere.
    If they take their time and research what they are doing there will be no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

They could also fry the laptop in the process
    my main worry,i fear my super electro powers will feck up my laptop,i know i have to ground myself/de statify (oh yes,new word) myself, but have a feeling i might screw it up. its a dell inspiron 1300 byw.
    ive put ram in ancient computers (64 megs anyone) but i didnt give a toss about em,and my laptop is my baby.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Sit yourself down, ground yourself by touching the radiator and away you go. Should take you less then a minute, but don't rush yourself. Line up the slot and angle in the memory, then click it into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

I agree with most of the above post that say do it yourself. I did a Fas course, in which we built and repaired computers. Both Hardware and software and I was initally daunted at the prospect. The hardware aspect of taking a computer apart and putting it back together was very simple, you could do it in less than an hour, even a half hour. There are supprisingly very few parts that make up a computer these days. Putting in ram is very simple, as others have said just look up you specific laptop ( the link majiktripp provided) and follow what they say.

My brother left his laptop in to a shop to get something working, he didn't ring me because he's impatient and lives a few hours away, but all it needed was a driver to be downloaded, and the shop charged him close to 100euro!

Do it yourself, it's one of the simplest things to do, just follow the instructions

• Advertisement
Advertisement