Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to connect ipod to XP..HELPPP

• 16-10-2009 9:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hi guys, :P so heres my problem:
    i connect to the internet using the 3broadband dongle thingy... i used to have vista and created an ad hoc connection and enable and i could connect my ipod touch...
    nowwww i have a xp and its impossible!! right now have enable the "enable other computers to connect thru this connection", went on the wireless properties, added an ad hoc connection, clicked on advanced "ad hoc connection only"... so pc is done...
    Got the ipod, it sees the adhoc, connects, get the ip,subnet,router and dns details and I still cant open stuff on the ipod!! Anybody knows what im doing wrong?thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

girld8 wrote: »
    hi guys, :P so heres my problem:
    i connect to the internet using the 3broadband dongle thingy... i used to have vista and created an ad hoc connection and enable and i could connect my ipod touch...
    nowwww i have a xp and its impossible!! right now have enable the "enable other computers to connect thru this connection", went on the wireless properties, added an ad hoc connection, clicked on advanced "ad hoc connection only"... so pc is done...
    Got the ipod, it sees the adhoc, connects, get the ip,subnet,router and dns details and I still cant open stuff on the ipod!! Anybody knows what im doing wrong?thanks!
    Here's an easy Microsoft Guide to follow - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 girld8

hi, thanks but i did all that, and still cant get online... its frustrating! like i said, worked fine with vista and mac... now its the freakin XP....

annnnd the thing is, done all the steps above, only when i try to connect the "home2" wireless adhoc, it doesnt, it says not connected.when i turn the ipod wifi on, they both connect at the same time... but the adhoc only connects when the ipod is on,... been told that i have to connect pc first and then the ipod, but that doesnt work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Im confused. Are you trying to connect an iPod, or are you trying to connect to the internet?

my xp is connect to the internet.. no problem,,, im trying to connect my ipod using the xp connection...
    an adhoc connection. i use the 3 dongle to the internet , i did create a wireless adhoc connection but it only connects when i turn the ipod on... cant connect the adhoc on the pc first...it only connects when i turn the ipod on

• Advertisement

my xp is connect to the internet.. no problem,,, im trying to connect my ipod using the xp connection...

an adhoc connection. i use the 3 dongle to the internet , i did create a wireless adhoc connection but it only connects when i turn the ipod on... cant connect the adhoc on the pc first...it only connects when i turn the ipod on

Ok I am confused again. Why are you even mentioning with wireless ad-hoc connection when talking about your iPod?

Are you using iTunes?

Just plug your ipod into your computer via usb, load up iTunes, and that should be it. You dont need to go near the 3 USB Dongle.

ok, let me try explaining better... i have an ipod touch, it has wifi... i want to use the computers connection to get the ipod on the internet.. usually i go out and connect to hotspots, but i want to use my pcs connection, to create a way to share the internet so my ipod can get online as well.. :)

Ok.

Do you have a wireless access point? Not to be confused with the 3 USB dongle.

hmm whats an access point? what i did was, after i connect the computer online, i went on the wireless networks available,clicked on change order of preferred networks, clicked ADD, created the adhoc, clikced on advanced and click the computer-to-computer(ad-hoc) only

sorry if im kinda stupid, but it was so easy when i had vista on the computer and of course its dead easy on a mac...

hmm whats an access point? what i did was, after i connect the computer online, i went on the wireless networks available,clicked on change order of preferred networks, clicked ADD, created the adhoc, clikced on advanced and click the computer-to-computer(ad-hoc) only

sorry if im kinda stupid, but it was so easy when i had vista on the computer and of course its dead easy on a mac...

Ok, Can I suggest you delete the other wireless profiles on the iPod. Then select your home connection and set it as the default connection.

• Advertisement

right now i have the 3modem which is the connection I want to share right?
    I right click on it, go to properties, advanced and its ticked the "allow other users to connect through this computer's internet connection"

when i right click the wireless connection, properties, advanced , that option is not ticked because its on the 3modem. (should i tick it?)

Right now, the ipod connects to the home2 (adhoc) but only gets the IP address and subnet mask. no router or dns..

Advertisement