Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what does Mod/Modded mean?

Options
  • 02-02-2004 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

i hear Modded Xbox and PS2 all over the place but i have no idea what you lot are on about....so what is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Mod is short for modification. You are modifying your console. Usually with some chip with a k-rad named chip like SUPREMEGODHEAD v2.0 which allows the console to play things it wasn't originally designed for, like import games or emulators or... something else.. etc..

\o/ K-RAD \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by amp
    like import games or emulators or... something else.. etc..
    ...like SVCDs, out-of-region DVDs, possibly even Divx/Xvids with the appropriate plyaer+codec combo (yes, even on the PS2).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

it's usually to do with what was mentioned above but some times there are case mods too.. (i.e. case modifications) which is where your console's case is ripped apart, tweaked, messed around a bit and then put back on, looking all sexy and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

For instance my xbox is modifyed internally with a chip and numerous emulators, the exterierior is metallic blue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

and my xbox is modded so it can toast bread, and shoot lasers, and if you have the DVD remote control for it, you can make helicopter propellers come out of the top of it and it can fly away. and it can play region 4058 DVDs. and toast bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭weemcd

consoles can be modified to play pirate games. please note i was pointing this out, not supporting pirate games. i wrote this because thats why some ppl get their machines chipped

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

Balfa - very good, you should market that.....LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by Balfa
    and my xbox is modded so it can toast bread, and shoot lasers, and if you have the DVD remote control for it, you can make helicopter propellers come out of the top of it and it can fly away. and it can play region 4058 DVDs. and toast bread.

yeah but I bet it still can't get Linux working on it ... fecking Micro$oft!!! :p

buy any chip flashyed with the cromwell bios and linux is very easy to set up, you can kiss playing games on it good bye though, and wouldn't the toaster just melt the disks...... do you use some sort of insulation??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

I got my Xbox modded as I was sick of waiting months for PAL releases, and for games that aren't released in PAL regions at all (e.g. the NFL Blitz series). I tend to buy games as they come out in the US. My Xbox is also a region free DVD player which is cool. That said, I don't use it so much now as I play Xbox Live a lot, and the MS servers search all connected consoles for non-standard bios, and if one is detected it gets banned. So modding isn't recommended for XBL gamers.

• Advertisement

You can get a Ybox mod so xbox live will search for the box's default.xbe and you boot off the ybox.xbe, hence keeping the original in tact so when xbl searches for it, it finds it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I have a modded ps2 that i dont play anymore and want to sell it
    Could i sell it in the classifieds on this site? does anyone know?
    Not sure on the legality of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

As far as I know, selling mod chips is banned on For Sale, but I'm not sure about a console with a chip fitted. Try pming one of the For Sale mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Wicknight
    yeah but I bet it still can't get Linux working on it ... fecking Micro$oft!!! :p

Linux has already been run on a XBox in the states. I believe they are trying to get Linux on a GameCube next.

My XBox can microwave food and also replecate food using the STARTREKFOODMAKER v2.56 chip. Its quite impressive really. Still cant get it to make a good beer though :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can anyone recommend a good mod chip for the Ps2. There's loads, but i'm not sure which to get. i just want to play imported U.S games.

PS, if it's against the rules of the boards to link to a mod chip site, just ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

A Magic V or a Duo,

both very reliable chips :)

Advertisement