Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Successful - post here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Header15

Finally passed - third time lucky in Thurles :) Never give up and things will eventually go your way. The relief is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Passed in Tullamore on Tuesday after my 3rd attempt. 10 years on the provisional this year. Not one single mark against me in the test but i suppose after driving on and off for ten years one would expect to be a fairly competent driver. Delighted to finally have it over with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chachacha3

Passed yesterday in Naas first time with only 3 marks, the tester seemed fairly relaxed. I think getting every question he asked in the office right straight away put me in good stead for the rest of it. My instructor recommended a great book, "Get It" which covers all the questions you'll be asked and the sections they mark the test sheet on, only costs a tenner so was well worth it. Now to get the N plates up.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Passed on my second attempt in Wilton (Cork) with two grade 2s (compared to 11 the last time two months ago) and a single grade 1.

The tester was a nice man but he was very frequently tapping his touchpad for the first half of the test and I thought I could be accumulating grade 2s.

I didn't let it deter me because I knew I was doing nearly everything right although I was questioning in my own mind what the marks could be for (did I properly scan the junction when I made the last turn? Did I look into the mirrors properly when stopping and turning? etc.).

My advice to people reading this who have an upcoming test is to try and pay no attention to the tester tapping the notepad - you might not be getting any marks at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Absolutely buzzing. Passed in Naas today. I thought the nerves were going to get the better of me but I somehow managed it.

Also, thanks to the poster who recommended the book 'Get It'. I found it very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 LiamWalsh95

Passed second time of asking in Kilkenny on Saturday with 4 grade 2s. Driving tester is an absolute gentleman compared to the one I had first time makes you feel comfortable and he also makes his instructions very clear. Got 2 marks for reaction to hazards. Car almost pulled out in front of me and he said i wasn't going slow enough to react. Also got a mark for observation on the reverse. Car was driving into the junction I was reversing into and he said I should've made eye contact with the driver and then continued on.

Couldn't be happier right now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Have my test tomorrow. Done a Pre test on Friday & failed by getting 9 grade 2s. Major problem I have is that I've been driving for a while and I very rarely drop from 2 to 3 to take a corner & if I do it's usually too late. Have been trying to get into habit, but car still seems to shudder a little when i drop. Is it a case of me simply going too fast for 2nd gear and that's why there is a jump?

Also what is correct for when stopping at traffic lights does anyone know? Instructor told me handrake & keep in first. However I very rarely do, and just sit in neutral. I know sitting in gear minimizes the risk of stalling or being slow to take off, but does it not show a bit more competency if I sit in neutral & take off then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Slow down and change to 2nd a few seconds before hitting a junction or roundabout, so you're not doing that while you should be looking whether you can make your next move safely.

When stopped, first and handbrake is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Passed in Naas yesterday. :) It was my third time. I can recommend a very good instructor if anyone needs one PM me, I believe she is the best in the country :D.

Advice to anyone failing is to try and drive as much as possible. It's not an easy test, but if you drive around the test routes with an instructor and get to know each procedure you should do at every junction, you'll pass no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Passed my test on Tuesday! Driving just under a year(drive heavily for work though, about 500km a week) but first time doing my test so was delighted! Got 7 marks for stuff completely unrelated to anything I was worried about. Got 1 for lack of progress (did in Dundalk & speed limits go from 50/60 regularly without decent signage). 2 for position in the straight, 1 for position turning left. 1 for competency in my turnabout & 2 for reaction to hazards! Absolutely delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Aero17

Passed second time around in Wilton yesterday. Absolutely delighted :D been following this thread for ages. So relieved the test is over! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

I passed my test first time around in Tralee Thursday last week.

Had a disaster of test, to be honest. Tester wouldn't let me do the test in my car that I'd been practicing in as there was a problem with the insurance disc (damn Axa) but he was sound enough to let me ring my driving instructor to bring up his car! Passed in his 151 that I had never driven in, having been brought through the narrowest streets in Tralee.

Got 7 Grade 2 marks but I don't even care considering he could have told me to **** off when we couldn't do the test in my car!!

Legend of a tester. Tbh, I thought I'd failed straight off and was close to tears on the phone to my instructor but somehow it all worked out :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pidge96

Passed in Galway on Tuesday. Got a mark on observation on the reverse which was fair cause I was glued to the left mirror once I cleared the bend, and one for reaction. On a small road with parked cars up the left hand side I stopped to let an elderly woman on a bike coming towards me pass, which left me stopped alongside the parked car, so fair enough. Had an absolute gent of a tester, couldn't stop grinning when he gave me the certificate of competency! Such a relief to have it finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Been a while since anyone posted here. Glad to add my name to the successful attempts.

Passed with 7 level 2 marks against me in Raheny today.

First time posting on this sub-forum but I've been reading for months so cheers for all the tips

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Been a while since anyone posted here. Glad to add my name to the successful attempts.

Passed first time with 7 level 2 marks against me in Raheny today.

First time posting on this sub-forum but I've been reading for months so cheers for all the tips

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Passed my A category motorbike test in Galway. Fairly delighted, I could already drive a car but it's great being able to use the bike as well, especially if I go abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Lockstep wrote: »
    Passed my A category motorbike test in Galway. Fairly delighted, I could already drive a car but it's great being able to use the bike as well, especially if I go abroad.

It's the best way to travel :) Ride safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eoinzy123

Passed my driving test! First time around in March I got about 15 grade 2 marks mainly on observation I was seriously nervous as well for the test and not prepared at all.

I was losing hope and thought I was a crap driver, but I just kept with it and was constantly driving trying to improve each time. I got a test then on the 12th at 8:25am, I see the person opening the door in the office and it was the same guy that failed me the first time so I was really nervous at this stage.

Even though I knew the road signs and rules of the road I struggled the first time and got a grade 2 for it, with less nerves this time around I whizzed through it and we were out.

The last time we went he looked bored, he put his hand on his cheek and was sighing so that frightened me. However this time he was chatting the whole time and only use his ipad a few times to mark me so I was thrilled with it and only got 4 Grade 2's.

Observation turning left: It was a yield however I did look and see it was clear he felt I could have went a little slower and waited a little longer which is fair enough.

Progress on the straight: There was loads of cars in an estate so I went a little slow but not crawling, he marked that too though. I just wanted to be able to react to any hazards because it seemed busy.

Progress at roundabouts: This was a little bit harsh, i'm usually fine on roundabouts and there was about 30/40 cars flying past us. On two occasions a few cars pulled out causing the traffic on the right to stop but I wanted a bit of a bigger gap because i'm only in a 1.0L Yaris so take off isn't that quick and I didn't want us to be in trouble. He said though himself that it was a test so he understands why I didn't move. But if he understands why did he mark me?

React to hazards: Don't remember this one at all, there wasn't any times I had to react because for the most part it was quiet around so not too sure.

I got back to the centre around 9:10 which was good considering we left at 8:40. After 5 minutes of chatting to the receptionist he sat down, sighed and after a few seconds said I passed.

I went down to the NDLS and seen around 30 people there so I decided to leave it. I ended up going back around 2pm and they have an appointment system in there so I was only waiting an hour and a half. It took less than 5 minutes to do as well so even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Congrats welcome to wonderful world of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 phani.k1704

Passed first time with 1 Grade 2 in Naas just now. Grade 2 for Progress On the Straight, I was allowing other car from stationary to get onto lane and left too much gap for allowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Passed my test in waterford last friday and applied that day also, anyone now how long it takes for the full licence to come back in the post. I know they said 2 weeks but is it really that long or is it usually shorter. Have a car waiting to be collected up the country and need to get it down

wobbles wrote: »
    Passed my test in waterford last friday and applied that day also, anyone now how long it takes for the full licence to come back in the post. I know they said 2 weeks but is it really that long or is it usually shorter. Have a car waiting to be collected up the country and need to get it down

Do you need the licence to collect the car, I was told that as I kept the receipt in the glove compartment it was fine if the guards stopped, yeah it's about 10 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Was told I was still under learner permit until I had the full licence in my hand, and only then the N plates can go up. Thats from the tester though so maybe he was wrong.

wobbles wrote: »
    Was told I was still under learner permit until I had the full licence in my hand, and only then the N plates can go up. Thats from the tester though so maybe he was wrong.

Did the person in the ndls office not say it will take ten days just keep your receipt in your glove box and once you show that to the guards you have ten days to produce your full licence.

The odds of getting stopped by the guards if your sticking to the speed limit and other rules you should be fine.

It's the form that you handed into the ndls isn't a licence as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Passed in Wilton yesterday-buzzing!
    Some relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Passed on my 1st attempt in Finglas yesterday. Well pleased to say the least!

Slightly bittersweet in the end as I dinged my car off a pillar in a multi-storey car park later in the day! I was chatting to my friend beside me, wasn't paying enough attention, and rubbed against the pillar. It'll cost about €300-400 to fix.

But anyway, 2 bits of advice for anyone doing their test in Finglas:

1. Watch your speed coming out of the test centre and make sure you keep an eye out as you drive through- particularly for any vehicles or cyclists coming from the left before you get to the security hut (anyone who's been up there will know the place I'm talking about). My tester told me after the test that he almost gave me a Grade 3 for going too quickly at that section and not observing properly. If anyone had been approaching from the left I would've failed outright without having left the complex.

2. One of the possible routes you'll be asked to take is to go down Jamestown rd. and take the first left on to Clancy Avenue. If you're not familiar with the area then I would strongly advise taking that corner a couple of times before your test. It's a tricky one...move slightly out to give yourself a good angle, drop into 1st gear and take it nice and easy around the corner. During my mock exam my instructor told me that testers are fond of taking people down that route as it's a great test of a learner's handling and positioning skills. Sure enough, the tester took me down that way yesterday.

Best of luck, everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Passed today in navan, delighted, got one x for observation doing reverse and that was it, delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Just passed today in Buncrana. Was my 2nd time to do it and just about passed. Tester said he was lenient because he knew I was a safe driver but showed too much caution, he put it down to nerves. Failed my first test for lack of caution!!! I'm happy out tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mixomatosis

Passed at attempt #3 in Raheny this afternoon. Delighted.

It was reasonably busy but I felt calm and relaxed for the whole run, aced the various theory questions, hand signals and maneouvres :)

Now to wait for an additional 2 weeks to be able to enjoy the fruits of this endeavour (i.e. being able to drive 'unaccompanied') :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Passed on my second attempt in Kilkenny just now. So happy to be able to post in this thread. If you fail look at where you went wrong and practice practice practice. Good luck to everyone and don't give up.

Advertisement