Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Independent /Independent on Sunday axed from all Ireland Market

• 30-06-2012 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Not a surprise really, it never had more than a toe-hold here. The i will continue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Bit of a balls, but having said that, I stopped buying it once they created their app.
    Non-smartphone-owners should, but won't be, sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sataction

It is difficult to get the i. Hard to blame newsagents I suppose, as it sells for 30c, their take from that would not be much and it might stop you buying a more expensive newspaper.

I wonder if the Guardian will be next, they do not sell it anymore overseas except for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I saw copies in Amsterdam? €3.50 though.
    Screw that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Histie

sataction wrote: »
    It is difficult to get the i. Hard to blame newsagents I suppose, as it sells for 30c, their take from that would not be much and it might stop you buying a more expensive newspaper.

I wonder if the Guardian will be next, they do not sell it anymore overseas except for Ireland.

The Grauniad will be more resilient. It gives quite good coverage to Ireland for a British paper. I remember what must surely have been a disproportionate representation of Irish people in its little interview with readers feature, in which readers discuss their relationship with the newspaper, suggesting an affection for their Irish readership. It even gave its decision to stop selling to Dunnes Stores (a while ago) more prominence than the Indie gave its decision to pull out of the Irish market altoghether.

The paper's closer relationship with Ireland likely owes to the Manchester connection, and it is still published in Manchester as well as London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

I've been buying the Grauniad at least weekly for the last thirty years and judging by its Irish sales, which are the best for any of the serious UK dailies, it has enough to justify selling the edition here, thankfully. Never miss the Observer on Sundays either. Of all the British newspapers it has remained the most informed and knowlegeable about Ireland and is highly recommended.

The mainland Europe edition is horrendously expensive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Tool_

I've been buying the Grauniad at least weekly for the last thirty years and judging by its Irish sales, which are the best for any of the serious UK dailies, it has enough to justify selling the edition here, thankfully. Never miss the Observer on Sundays either. Of all the British newspapers it has remained the most informed and knowlegeable about Ireland and is highly recommended.

The mainland Europe edition is horrendously expensive though.

Agree with that - its my favourite paper by a stretch, esp on Saturdays. Grew up with teh Observer but think its lost its way so buy it now out of habit and lack of alternative than any real enthusiasm. As you say, its Irish coverage is streets ahead of the others.

Advertisement