Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing car back to Ireland

• 18-03-2012 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can someone point me in the right direction.

I imported my Irish car to the UK in 2010 but I may be moving back to Ireland and want to know if I have to pay VRT again even though it was paid when the car was bought first. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Nope.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No, theres a proceedure in place to re-register the car back onto the original number plate. You won't have to pay VRT again IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

AFAIK you don't need to pay VRT again.
    Just register, tax and NCT.

I'm not sure though, if your car get's the same registration number it had before, or is it the new one...

Also forcing you to make NCT even though the car had a valid test from coutnry of origin (in this case UK MOT) is agains EU law, but sadly that's the case in Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

CiniO wrote: »
    AFAIK you don't need to pay VRT again.
    Just register, tax and NCT.

I'm not sure though, if your car get's the same registration number it had before, or is it the new one...

Also forcing you to make NCT even though the car had a valid test from coutnry of origin (in this case UK MOT) is agains EU law, but sadly that's the case in Ireland.

Same reg. no. will apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dclo

First time using Boards.ie. Great help out there.

Thank you for the help! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You'll need an NCT if it's over 4 yrs. old, a not in use declaration for road tax, insurance, same reg, and off you go.

aujopimur wrote: »
    You'll need an NCT if it's over 4 yrs. old, a not in use declaration for road tax, insurance, same reg, and off you go.

What not in use declaration for road tax?
    Surely if car was registered abroad, then for this period you don't need to declare anything about road tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Most likely the car was never de-registered here. So there would be no need to register it again. Just apply for a replacement VLC stick the old number back on and off you go.

Most likely the car was never de-registered here. So there would be no need to register it again. Just apply for a replacement VLC stick the old number back on and off you go.

When they register it in new country (in this case UK) don't they send the Irish VRC back to Ireland for purposes of deregistering car in Ireland?

LOL! You would think so. But in practice it don't work that way.

The DOT do not de-register cars it would seem. A car I exported to Bulgaria is still live on the system a year later. There are still tax and NCT letters arriving in Ireland for it still. As far as the DOT is concerned the car has never left Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

LOL! You would think so. But in practice it don't work that way.

The DOT do not de-register cars it would seem. A car I exported to Bulgaria is still live on the system a year later. There are still tax and NCT letters arriving in Ireland for it still. As far as the DOT is concerned the car has never left Ireland.

I must say this shocks me greatly!

Sorry, I can't back that up!

I was surprised too when I found this out.

The DOT has admitted that this does in fact happen. The Irish number stays active for ever.

So provided ownership has not changed, all is needed is a replacement VRC to but the car back on the Irish roads.

Advertisement