Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuze - TOTAL BEGINNER - Please Help!!

• 18-01-2011 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all.

Firstly apologies if my questions below are lame - really clueless when it comes to technology :-)

1. I have downloaded Vuze to my laptop - is it legal to download movies using the website - I have paid an annual subscription (not to Vuze but to another film download website - can't remember their name - when I paid I was redirected to the Vuze website).

2. The memory on my laptop is small - can I copy the movies from my laptop to a portable external hard drive, then delete the movies from the laptop and play them on my tv through the external hard drive.

3. Could I download the movies directly from Vuze to my external hard drive?

4. Shouild I buy a Media Player (Iomega, etc.) - would it be better than an regular external hard drive?

5. When I watch the movies I have downloaded from Vuze on TV the picture do not fill the screen - is there anything I can do about that.

6. Is it easy to burn the movies from my computer to a dvd - will the movie be "full screen" on my tv when I play the dvd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

bazzad wrote: »
    Hi all.

Firstly apologies if my questions below are lame - really clueless when it comes to technology :-)

no questions are lame :D
    1. I have downloaded Vuze to my laptop - is it legal to download movies using the website - I have paid an annual subscription (not to Vuze but to another film download website - can't remember their name - when I paid I was redirected to the Vuze website).

Well Vuse is a bittorrent client..i'm not going into details how this works if you want to know google "Bittorrent". Regarding legality it may or may not be legal...true bit-torrent is often a method used to illegally download content from the web..movies etc.. however many companies use bit-torrent as a method to transfer files mostly software but could be movies..It may be legal...as far as i can see the website could be legit or you may have got scammed..i can't tell without more info about this see the source site for legal info

2. The memory on my laptop is small - can I copy the movies from my laptop to a portable external hard drive, then delete the movies from the laptop and play them on my tv through the external hard drive.

Yes once you have transfered the movie (make sure it is fully transferred) you can delete it from the laptop and it will still be on the external drive.. this movie can be played on the laptop as long as the external drive is connected to play it on a tv you must have the laptop connected to the tv..you can get an external media drive that connects to a TV directly without the need for a laptop.
    3. Could I download the movies directly from Vuze to my external hard drive?

I'm not sure if vuze will allow this I've never used it however it is possible to do all you would have to do is find a setting in the vuze program for the download destination and change it to the external drive..however to do so the drive must be connected and powered on throughout the whole download
    4. Shouild I buy a Media Player (Iomega, etc.) - would it be better than an regular external hard drive?

well that is entirely up to you..the only difference between the two is you wouldn't need a laptop to play the files it will play directly off the drive if it's a media drive. if you have a new tv that has a HDMI port..get a media drive (if you are) that supports HDMI it's alot less hassle and less cables as it supports HD video and audio in the one cable...otherwise you'd need at least 2 cables..personally my laptop has a HDMI port i play content using it rather than a media drive.. tho be careful if you are buying a media drive that it supports the type of file you have and the codec used to encode it otherwise it might not play the files
    5. When I watch the movies I have downloaded from Vuze on TV the picture do not fill the screen - is there anything I can do about that.

yes if you put the movie in full screen mode (press F11 in windows) it should fit the screen..if you mean why it doesn't fill the whole screen like it has a black bit at the top and bottom it's because of the resolution of the movie is not in the aspect ratio of your TV...you may be able to change the aspect ratio on the tv to zoom this might work but you will loose some of the picture usually width. one thing you can do is download media player classic..it comes with the k-lite codec pack..that has a setting that allows you to change the aspect ratio...click view>pan&scan or video frame inside the program...and change the settings till you are happy with it however this may distort the image and result in less quality
    6. Is it easy to burn the movies from my computer to a dvd - will the movie be "full screen" on my tv when I play the dvd?

it is usually the same aspect ratio as the original movie. so if it's wide screen 16:9 and you have a square tv 4:3
    it will have black lines above the picture and below it..you may have an option to modify the aspect ratio but this will decrease quality..usually movies that are "ripped" are encoded in a different aspect ratio than 16:9 so it may not fill the entire screen..it may be slightly letter-boxed depends on the file

Advertisement