Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UCC student life

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BigDaddyCan

thats the job about the tesco express!!! il be living there id say! denehys is literaly a 1 min walk from vic lodge etc..

pub wise the francisscan well on the north mall is unreal! they brew a load of their own beers there and is generally just a nice spot!

the quad is a class place 2! not a huge fan of the bróg myself....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

the oval is great too though there is an older crowd in there and probably not the place to get plastered in

• Registered Users Posts: 49 notnormal

This is one of my favourite threads. I'm new to Cork as well and this is very useful. Thanks!

This may be a little off-topic but what does one do for nights out when I won't be 18 until next May. I'm worried that I'm doomed to stay inside and waste my life online.

Any suggestions for a good night out without the use of an ID, real or otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

notnormal wrote: »
    This is one of my favourite threads. I'm new to Cork as well and this is very useful. Thanks!

This may be a little off-topic but what does one do for nights out when I won't be 18 until next May. I'm worried that I'm doomed to stay inside and waste my life online.

Any suggestions for a good night out without the use of an ID, real or otherwise?

most of the people wont be going out that much anyway, i'd expect. its getting a bit too expensive to drink in the bars and pubs and so your best bet is to buy some beer in tesco and bring it to your apartment with your friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

Enjoying the Brog really depends on who you're with, as as a bar it really is'nt very good. It's insanely expensive after 9pm, and it's only redeeming quality is that it's got a late licence.

Fred Zeppelins, Mutton Lane Inn, and An Spalpin Fanach are my favourite bars in Cork. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

+1 on the above,
    never be foolish enough to buy a drink in the brog past 9.00pm,it is indeed ridiculousy expensive, instead at 8.55 go up and buy two pints and enjoy, then leave and head somewhere else thats slightly cheaper, for example the "can-can club", dunno if its still open but they sell cans for 2 euro and have a really nice roof top beer garden.

As far as I know, the Cancan only does €2 during the college year, as the last time I was in the Liquid Lounge they did'nt have cans anymore.

The great thing about the cancan is that it used open in the afternoon, so instead of going for a pint/coffee in the afternoon, you could just have a can and sit in a nightclub, even though it was fully daylight outside. :)

I think that the bars in UCC are underrated, especially the New Bar. If I was living near campus then I'd choose the new bar over going to town unless there was a reason to go in.

Nova_era wrote: »
    As far as I know, the Cancan only does €2 during the college year, as the last time I was in the Liquid Lounge they did'nt have cans anymore.

The great thing about the cancan is that it used open in the afternoon, so instead of going for a pint/coffee in the afternoon, you could just have a can and sit in a nightclub, even though it was fully daylight outside. :)

I think that the bars in UCC are underrated, especially the New Bar. If I was living near campus then I'd choose the new bar over going to town unless there was a reason to go in.

where is the new bar actually? cos i've heard a lot about it but never heard where one can find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Mario007 wrote: »
    where is the new bar actually? cos i've heard a lot about it but never heard where one can find it?

On the first floor of the Student Centre... Its kinda tucked away alright! :D

The new bar is on UCC main campus, If your facing the main entrance to the Honan Chaple, on your right is the glass student centre, the new bar is located up one flight of stairs here on the right hand side.

• Advertisement

The new bar is actually fantastic at nighttime, really relaxed atmosphere, and quite often there are gigs or a dj playing requests and a really wide variety of music.

It can be a bit much in the daytime when it's packed with people eating huge lunches and sipping on pints of water, but when you go there for an actual alcoholic drink it's very good.

And for matches/events, it's fantastic! :)

Not enough student aimed drink deals though. :( As far as I remember they started doing cans of Bavaria though?

+1 for the above post, its also really good when the comedy society decide to put on their shows their, normally draws a good old crowd,, pity about the prices tough, hopefully theyll cop on soon and start selling everything in can form :) it is meant to be a student bar after all

Davie89 wrote: »
    The new bar is on UCC main campus, If your facing the main entrance to the Honan Chaple, on your right is the glass student centre, the new bar is located up one flight of stairs here on the right hand side.

oh cool thanks! i didnt think there'd be a bar inside the student centre:D

500ml bottles of Pratzky were €3 in the old bar for a while, and as far as I know the new bar were trying to get them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Enjoy your time in college, soome really good tips there and about distances the buses are handy if you really are that lazy.

Quick FYI there are other places in the college besides the boole basement for computer access and printing so that should save you some serious time.

For the guy who wont be 18 till next May I genuinely do feel sorry for you i dont know how you will get around it you'll still enjoy the crack of drinking in the house beforehand and it you can stick it there's the hanging around town after the clubs with the hillbillys treats. might mean you miss out on a few birds though!!

Anyways enjoy whats the come freshers i'm going back for year 8!! and no i'm not ferris bueller!

Advertisement