Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NFL Betting Thread 2014/2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Don't normally bet on these markets, but Cutler @ 28/1 looks tempting.

Combo of Cutler/McCown was a top 5 QB last season, and that was in Trestman's 1st year running the offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I wouldn't be hugely confident on the Saints or Colts to win their division. Texans should be very different prospects this year and Saints are in a very tough division.

I don't bet pre-season games because I just have no idea how to handicap them, but I wouldn't mind doing so. One angle here...

Why I’m Betting on the 2014 NFL Preseason

Makes a pretty good case. Don't think he means you should blindly bet overs, but to look for spots and lean that way.

Still find the pre-season games useful as prep work to try and hit week 1 running. Best value is in the early weeks of the season imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Guffy

Rams are 10/1 fir the division atm. I wonder would it be worth while backing them with a view to laying them in their bye week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

padraig_f wrote: »
    I don't bet pre-season games because I just have no idea how to handicap them, but I wouldn't mind doing so. One angle here...

Why I’m Betting on the 2014 NFL Preseason

Makes a pretty good case. Don't think he means you should blindly bet overs, but to look for spots and lean that way.

Still find the pre-season games useful as prep work to try and hit week 1 running. Best value is in the early weeks of the season imo.

I read that when the email went out, and managed to get the early line - obviously still a loser, angle or no angle. Would be fairly confident of winning throughout the season if I was beating the closing line by 5 points though!

• Advertisement

Bateman wrote: »
    I read that when the email went out, and managed to get the early line - obviously still a loser, angle or no angle. Would be fairly confident of winning throughout the season if I was beating the closing line by 5 points though!

Yeah the line move indicated it was a good bet.

I'm still a bit wary of applying these trends blindly, as opposed to doing my own handicapping, because how do you know when the bookies have caught up to the trend? (which inevitably happens at some point)

I'd probably need some additional game-specific input to bet on the game.

Still useful to be aware of them in a general sense, i.e. you want a very good reason to oppose the trend, and less of a reason to go with it.

Anyone got other pre-season angles? I suspect they're more about understanding roster make-ups, and what different teams are trying to achieve in the pre-season, which isn't really my forte.

Yeah I wouldn't back it blindly, I think in this case 32.5 was just particularly low all things considered. It also seemed to me that both teams pulled the starting QB very early in proceedings (not sure of no of minutes a starting QB would "usually" play though, so could be wrong). A few more completions leading to another FG or 2 and we're over.

Apparently the Pats are being heavily backed giving up -1.5 @ Washington.

The only overs bet in the upcoming games that I like from my own numbers is Dallas - San Diego at 36.5. It is the same as Tampa-Jacksonville for example, and IMO should be higher. But then you have to factor these unknowns, so how good a bet do you have to think it is before you back it knowing that a starting QB could be yanked 10 minutes in...

Love how PP completely bricked it and closed all markets on pre season games once they start. barring the colts game ya can't get any market on the games tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

gufc21 wrote: »
    Love how PP completely bricked it and closed all markets on pre season games once they start. barring the colts game ya can't get any market on the games tonight.

You mean they don't cover them inrunning? How is that bricking it? You can only cover a limited amount of stuff inrunning, and they would obviously rather cover other stuff than nfl pre season which would turn over pennies

Yeah I'd say it's a simple case of demand (or lack of)

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    You mean they don't cover them inrunning? How is that bricking it? You can only cover a limited amount of stuff inrunning, and they would obviously rather cover other stuff than nfl pre season which would turn over pennies

Both actually. There was a couple they didn't cover pre game either. Demand? At 2 in morn?

Powers bottle a lot of things but in all honesty, I don't think they are bottling betting on NFL pre-season games

Both actually. There was a couple they didn't cover pre game either. Demand? At 2 in morn?

Inrunning games require constant trader intervention. They would probably have to bring in staff to cover games in the middle of the night that noone has interest in. I think people forget bookies are a business at times. When they pull a market etc they've obviously calculated that its not profitable leaving it up, they don't have an obligation to offer anything

First bet of the season...Eagles to win the NFC East @ 2.5. I'm high on the Eagles this season, and low on the Cowboys, Giants & Redskins. Really thought they'd be shorter than 2.5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

First bet of the season...Eagles to win the NFC East @ 2.5. I'm high on the Eagles this season, and low on the Cowboys, Giants & Redskins. Really thought they'd be shorter than 2.5.

Safe bet IMO. NE Patriots to take the AFC East is another.

Safe bet IMO. NE Patriots to take the AFC East is another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I don't think betting on an NFC East outright winner is ever a safe bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Looks like Teddy and Bortles will sit so I'm in on Cooks at 8s for OROY.

Torn between Dez and D.Thomas for receiving yards. Both around 7. Alshon at 16s for an outside shot- he's so strong in the intermediate and long game.

Finally Pats, Saints and Eagles for their divisions. 1/3, evens and 7/5 respectively. I thinks the Saints are the real deal this year.

Thoughts welcomed.

I think the Giants will bounce back and have a decent season, Manning will find form again and Randle is a "3rd year breakout WR" candidate. 2.5 doesn't look massive on the Eagles to me, without looking at their schedule.

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Looks like Teddy and Bortles will sit so I'm in on Cooks at 8s for OROY.

Torn between Dez and D.Thomas for receiving yards. Both around 7. Alshon at 16s for an outside shot- he's so strong in the intermediate and long game.

Finally Pats, Saints and Eagles for their divisions. 1/3, evens and 7/5 respectively. I thinks the Saints are the real deal this year.

Thoughts welcomed.

Shop around would be the main one. You'll get better prices on nearly all of those elsewhere. I did take the 5/4 on the Saints for their division, had them in as 10/11 shots a few weeks back and ive seen nothing in pre season to deter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

New NFL betting podcast 'Even Money' with Ross Tucker http://www.rosstucker.com/wp/podcasts/even-money/
    Listened to the first one. Pretty good.

New NFL betting podcast 'Even Money' with Ross Tucker http://www.rosstucker.com/wp/podcasts/even-money/

Haven't listened to it but will tonight. I'd just find it difficult to take advice from someone who has spent last two years saying how stupid peop are for betting on nfl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Haven't listened to it but will tonight. I'd just find it difficult to take advice from someone who has spent last two years saying how stupid peop are for betting on nfl

Tucker ain't the one really giving the advice. He's with some pro gambler.

Now would be a good time to get on the Vikings at 23/10 for week one, Tampa Bay at 10/11 for week 2, and the Rams under 7.5 wins at 6/5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Now would be a good time to get on the Vikings at 23/10 for week one, Tampa Bay at 10/11 for week 2, and the Rams under 7.5 wins at 6/5

Yeah Bradford is a big loss alright. Bet365 have suspended the markets on the Rams at the minute though.

Two early prices that I like for week 1 are Bears -6 against the Bills in Soldier field and Panthers in a scratch game at Tampa Bay.

The Bills have been woeful in the preseason and it doesnt look like EJ Manuel is going to be able to get the ball to Watkins, Woods etc enough for them to do well enough on offence. The Bears have arguably the best wide receiver duo in the game and a legit top 5 running back in Matt Forte. Although they lost Julius Peppers, Briggs being back is like a new signing too and a few rookies that struggled last year should be better on defence. I would have had this line at 10 and I think its only as low as it is because it's the first game of the year.

The Panthers are a lot of people's picks to be one of the bigger slides from last years fantastic season. Yes Cam Newton hasnt got the weapons that he probably needs but I think that defence is still stingy enough to keep Josh McCown and his wideouts quiet. Tampa Bay's offensive line is woeful and I can see the Panthers putting McCown under enough pressure and forcing turnovers and then doing just about enough on offence to get the win.

Bateman wrote: »
    I think the Giants will bounce back and have a decent season, Manning will find form again and Randle is a "3rd year breakout WR" candidate. 2.5 doesn't look massive on the Eagles to me, without looking at their schedule.
    The gap between when Eli Manning plays good and bad is too far. He seems to be quite horrific when he's not playing well.

Yeah agreed, they look a better team all around this year though, I just find it inconceivable that he'll be that bad two whole seasons in a row.

Everything about sports betting tells us not to read too much into short-term form / small sample sizes. Eli Manning is no different.

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Yeah Bradford is a big loss alright. Bet365 have suspended the markets on the Rams at the minute though.

Yeah you have to be quick when robbing like that, most had it down within a half hour of the news breaking. Lost an account over it (bwin) but that one was on the way out anyway, got enough on to be worth it (hopefully!)

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Going to stick with the Jets alot this season in there matches. Think they could go 10 and 6 over the season and are bound to return some euro over that period.

Think the 49ers could be turned over early on this season. But most will have priced that in but hopefully looking for an angle. Panthers I will be going against in a lot of games also with so many off season losses and Cam dodgy rib.

• Advertisement

The guy Steve Fezzik knows his stuff, I've been following him for a while, so any tips he gives will be good.

He has a strong interest in live-game betting, which is something I want to get into more myself, so hopefully they cover a bit of that too.

Advertisement