Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

College Football Penn St/UCF Game confirmed 2014 in Croker

• 03-07-2013 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Apparently a game has been confirmed. UCLA is floating around but I have a feeling they mean UCF. Opponent unconfirmed. But once I hear more I will let you know. It could break before I hear back anyways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Penn St @ UCF?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ah, the home of Irish sport. That's more like it.

There'll be plenty of room for locals at Croker anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Penn St @ UCF?

No details as yet. There was meetings in Croker with a college and the GAA. Only thing that seemed definite was the date.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Over a year away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Is Dublin becoming to College Football what London is to the NFL !?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

wawaman wrote: »
    Is Dublin becoming to College Football what London is to the NFL !?

Hopefully ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think Croke Park is probably a bad idea tbh. Pitch is too big, stadium is probably too big too. I thought the Aviva was perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

It's 100% Penn State @ UCF. Michael Aresco has been promoting it to the media already, Bill O'Brien practically confirmed it too a few weeks ago and again last week. UCF officials have already been and gone about a month ago to Croke Park.

I texted a guy I know stateside who's always ahead of the curve when it comes to Florida colleges - I usually only hassle him about recruiting but he said George O'Leary and Todd Stansbury will be over to visit Croker in the next fortnight to outline their requirements as home team.

It's 100% Penn State @ UCF. Michael Aresco has been promoting it to the media already, Bill O'Brien practically confirmed it too a few weeks ago and again last week. UCF officials have already been and gone about a month ago to Croke Park.

I texted a guy I know stateside who's always ahead of the curve when it comes to Florida colleges - I usually only hassle him about recruiting but he said George O'Leary and Todd Stansbury will be over to visit Croker in the next fortnight to outline their requirements as home team.

UCF executives were in Croker yesterday for some reason or another. Which execs they were and what they were discussing who knows but there.

SantryRed wrote: »
    I think Croke Park is probably a bad idea tbh. Pitch is too big, stadium is probably too big too. I thought the Aviva was perfect.

Only perfect for the optics of a full house that negated all but die-hard locals having a chance of attending. No seats when the fireworks started going off in the week leading up to it prevented a proper bandwagon around the game itself from developing.

It did less to promote the sport here than I'd have hoped because even the media focused on the dozens of thousands of Americans coming over for the match and positioned it far less of a sport we were participating in besides being happy hosts.

Croker is an excellent stadium with great viewing angles even if its large pitch suits other sports better. Advertised right it could expose a lot more locals to the sport than last year's game. Croke Park's history can be played up to entice more Irish-Americans over as well.

Great to see Dublin becoming a destination for the sport, though. If we make this one a success too we'll have made it.

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    Only perfect for the optics of a full house that negated all but die-hard locals having a chance of attending. No seats when the fireworks started going off in the week leading up to it prevented a proper bandwagon around the game itself from developing.

It did less to promote the sport here than I'd have hoped because even the media focused on the dozens of thousands of Americans coming over for the match and positioned it far less of a sport we were participating in besides being happy hosts.

Croker is an excellent stadium with great viewing angles even if its large pitch suits other sports better. Advertised right it could expose a lot more locals to the sport than last year's game. Croke Park's history can be played up to entice more Irish-Americans over as well.

Great to see Dublin becoming a destination for the sport, though. If we make this one a success too we'll have made it.

It was all to do with the Notre Dame factor though. There won't be even close to the same amount of Americans there as the game last year. I'd be surprised if the attendance would be over 50000. Even 50k in Croke Park doesn't look great.

You can shut down the top tiers if attendance is expected to be less than 50k, the GAA have done that for years now for most non-Dublin games before the AISFs. Looks far better and creates a better atmosphere. Croke Park gives more scope for getting the public involved, especially if UCF (and the GAA in terms of their rental fees allowing it) have their heads screwed on and sell the tickets on the Canal End for a nice, casual friendly cheapo price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I decided 2 days before the game that I wanted to go and got 2 tickets with very little fuss.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I decided 2 days before the game that I wanted to go and got 2 tickets with very little fuss.

I ended up with spare tickets and took a hit on them just before the game. There was also plenty of empty seats in the Aviva also and tickets on sale before the game in the ticket office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Penn State have a massive fan base but it remains to be seen if they would travel to Ireland in the same numbers as Notre Dame fans.

Can't find much of a buzz about it on their fan websites but it is well over a year out still.

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2013/06/croke_park_and_dublin_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

polaris68 wrote: »
    Penn State have a massive fan base but it remains to be seen if they would travel to Ireland in the same numbers as Notre Dame fans.

Can't find much of a buzz about it on their fan websites but it is well over a year out still.

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2013/06/croke_park_and_dublin_ireland.html

My Yank mate is a massive Penn State fan, he always travels to a game or 2 a year. From what he's said, I doubt there'll be as many over as ND, but he'll be over if it's on!

You can shut down the top tiers if attendance is expected to be less than 50k, the GAA have done that for years now for most non-Dublin games before the AISFs. Looks far better and creates a better atmosphere. Croke Park gives more scope for getting the public involved, especially if UCF (and the GAA in terms of their rental fees allowing it) have their heads screwed on and sell the tickets on the Canal End for a nice, casual friendly cheapo price.

But what is the point in having a half empty stadium when you could have a packed and more modern Aviva. I don't see the point in it.

I just don't see how this game will be for the casual fan. I just hope it's not too empty that it reflects badly on other games being staged here. Especially a NFL game.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The ND / Navy game was announced over five years before it took place. People who travelled had spent years squirrelling a few quid away to use the game as an excuse for an Irish trip. The US attendence for this one will be underwhelming, and it'll be a hard so to Irish people. 25k and an empty looking Croker is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Absolutely stupid decision to look to have a game in Croker. The pitch was way too big for football and rugby (felt like you were a mile away from the action) and with an American Football pitch being even smaller it's hard to see how it will be a good viewing experience. Just keep the game at the Aviva, a perfectly sized stadium for the sport and presumably the level of interest in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

frostie500 wrote: »
    Absolutely stupid decision to look to have a game in Croker. The pitch was way too big for football and rugby (felt like you were a mile away from the action) and with an American Football pitch being even smaller it's hard to see how it will be a good viewing experience. Just keep the game at the Aviva, a perfectly sized stadium for the sport and presumably the level of interest in the game

There may be a rugby or soccer international in Lansdowne

• Advertisement

DaveyCakes wrote: »
    There may be a rugby or soccer international in Lansdowne

Most likely the case. That week is generally when International Qualifiers are played. Uefa will release the European Championship Qualifying groups and matches early in 2014 Feb I think. Id say waiting for those fixtures is pushing it for the NCAA and both colleges. Easier to use the available Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Were there any figures for the attendance broken down into American fans, Irish fans, and other European fans that traveled?

Could tell a lot about the likelihood of 80k tickets being sold, considering there could be those in Ireland for whom the novelty may be gone after the last one, adding to the lack of interest in college football (even amongst nfl fans here), the lesser likelihood that other Europeans will travel for a college game as opposed to an NFL one, and finally the chance that there'll be less American support too.

Choosing a bigger venue and still only selling 40k tickets could be all the encouragement they need to not come back for another as compared to picking a smaller venue and selling the same no. of tickets.

It's gonna be embarrassing in Croker tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

If it's cheap to go I can see plenty of people going for the occasion. But if tickets cost much money at all I'll be staying home, along with plenty of other people.

I think the size thing is overblown. Sure the stands will be farther from the playing field but in the typical American Football stadium the upper tier is really far from the playing field anyway. I had a quick look on google maps at the distance between stands at Croke Park and the Rose Bowl, which is a decent bench mark for a college football stadium I would imagine. Croke Park is about 20 metres longer and wider total, which is 10 metres on each side. That's not a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There also won't be the novelty factor from semi-interested Irish people. I know a few who went last year just to see what it was all about etc. They won't be looking to go again.

Remember the original Emerald Isle Classics from back in the day? The first one between Boston College and Army was sold out but the next year when Pitt played Rutgers, the place was no where near sold out (too long ago to remember if it was half/two thirds/three quarters full). I reckon the second year affect will be in play here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

There also won't be the novelty factor from semi-interested Irish people. I know a few who went last year just to see what it was all about etc. They won't be looking to go again.

Remember the original Emerald Isle Classics from back in the day? The first one between Boston College and Army was sold out but the next year when Pitt played Rutgers, the place was no where near sold out (too long ago to remember if it was half/two thirds/three quarters full). I reckon the second year affect will be in play here too.

I know a few people who went last year to see what it was all about and became fans of the sport, they absolutely can't wait to go to the next one.

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's gonna be embarrassing in Croker tbh.

Ridiculous statement. You're pulling numbers from no where and running around as if they're fact.

Last year's game was a great tourism boon but little more. A better focus on the sport itself will help all parties.

After blocking off certain rows the Stadiums capacity in Lansdowne is 51,700 and was reduced to 49,000

For what it is worth the official attendance for the game in Lansdowne was:

48,820. How accurate this number is who knows as there looked like there was more than 180 seats empty.

Officially the numbers of Americans who traveled over were down as 35,000 but I would imagine that number was slightly inflated.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

I couldn't make it last year, looking forward (a long time forward!) to this one.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous statement. You're pulling numbers from no where and running around as if they're fact.

Last year's game was a great tourism boon but little more. A better focus on the sport itself will help all parties.

Regardless of the number. It'll be stupid in that stadium imo. It definitely won't break 40k. No chance at all.

Advertisement