Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning on giving up, told about DIY site, what do i buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

The way I see vaping your only moving from one habit to the other, what's the end game with Vaping whats the plan for OP? When will he be ready to brake the habit of Vaping? 9 weeks? 9 Years? How does he stop Vaping and not have any habit?

that's the way YOU see it though - the OP came here looking for advice on vaping. i don't see what those rather blunt and obtuse questions are trying to achieve in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

mewso wrote: »
    drinkmonkey this is the vaping forum. While you are entitled to your opinion I would prefer if discussion on Champix be kept to the parent forum and not here. This is a forum for people who choose to vape as a substitute for smoking.

From his initial post it just sounded like he wanted to stop smoking, he hadn't heard of champix and all he came here with was a little info from a friend.

It is a giving up smoking forum. I'd just like to see him fully free that's all, the facts should be given fairly to all confused people about your options.
    Saying that champix kills was a bit OTT and has not helped OP in the slightest.

I'm not trying to kill the guy, i'm trying to help him stop smoking.

artyeva wrote: »
    that's the way YOU see it though - the OP came here looking for advice on vaping. i don't see what those rather blunt and obtuse questions are trying to achieve in this thread.

He came here to give up smoking. Inspired by someone who vapes.

Nobody has still suggested how he eventually gets off Vaping?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

From his initial post it just sounded like he wanted to stop smoking, he hadn't heard of champix and all he came here with was a little info from a friend.

It is a giving up smoking forum. I'd just like to see him fully free that's all, the facts should be given fairly to all confused people about your options.

That's a fair point but I would suggest that you read up on the differences between vaping and smoking.

OT but from my reading on Champix and how it is supposed to work I have to say that it terrifies the living bejaysus out of me.

dude. this isn't the giving up smoking 'mother' forum. i trust the op to have gotten the forum location right for their question.... so of course vapers are going to advise them. it's the vaping forum.

YOU'D like to see the OP fully free - but it's the OP's thread. maybe you don't have that descision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

After all that, i can't order from that site.. It just gets stuck on "Preparing your order... Please Wait."

and

"If you are not re-directed within the next 10 seconds, click here to continue. If for any reason you cannot proceed past this page, please call us for quick & easy assistance. Thank you."
    But when i click, it doesn't do anything..

I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

The way I see vaping your only moving from one habit to the other, what's the end game with Vaping whats the plan for OP?
    The end-game? Not gaining cancer I suppose...
    Moving from a definite deadly habit to one that either isn't or is orders of magnitude safer. One that makes you feel better within days, then weeks and even better again within months.

Also, almost anyone who vapes will tell you the cravings are much less severe than with cigs.
    I have gone full days without vaping since I've started. Entire days. That was obviously a non-goer when I was a smoker. Had to smoke.
    There's a lot more in cigarettes you're addicted to and even more that are purposely mixed into cigs to affect/boost the uptake of nicotine.

By weaning off the nicotine slowly if they wish, vaping makes it much, much easier to quit.

Many have done it. Are people who vape zero-nic juices also still smokers?

You know, because you think vapour is smoke. You must go bananas at Quasar.

Allyall wrote: »
    After all that, i can't order from that site.. It just gets stuck on "Preparing your order... Please Wait."

and

"If you are not re-directed within the next 10 seconds, click here to continue. If for any reason you cannot proceed past this page, please call us for quick & easy assistance. Thank you."
    But when i click, it doesn't do anything..

I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks for help.

if the site is still having issues tomorrow give them a ring - they'll get you sorted.

He came here to give up smoking. Inspired by someone who vapes.

Nobody has still suggested how he eventually gets off Vaping?

Is vaping such a bad thing though?

As has been pointed out many times here the vast majority of the negative effects of smoking are caused by the elements that are released by burning tobacco to extract the nicotine. Nicotine itself has been proven to be essentially harmless and some studies have suggested that it is actually a positive thing to injest not a million miles away from the caffeine that you would get in your cup of tea or coffee.

There's absolutely no point, It's true addicts will always find a way to justify their habit. (I used to be one)
    Everybody is justifying their Vaping habit by claiming it's better than their old habit. As non smokers I thought some of you might have seen how daft that is.

I was hoping Allyall would end up without an addiction after visiting the no smoking forum, sadly he's been offered a new habit to cure his habit.

• Advertisement

There's absolutely no point, It's true addicts will always find a way to justify their habit. (I used to be one)
    Everybody is justifying their Vaping habit by claiming it's better than their old habit. As non smokers I thought some of you might have seen how daft that is.

I was hoping Allyall would end up without an addiction after visiting the no smoking forum, sadly he's been offered a new habit to cure his habit.

There is a key difference between an addiction and a dependency.

Also this isn't the Giving up Smoking forum, it is the Vaping forum, again a key difference.

P_1 wrote: »
    Is vaping such a bad thing though?

For getting high it's brilliant, for curing a cigarette smoking addiction I think it's the daftest thing ever. it doesn't fix the problem which is the habit of having a hit/smoke/vape or what ever else you want to call it.

For getting high it's brilliant, for curing a cigarette smoking addiction I think it's the daftest thing ever. it doesn't fix the problem which is the habit of having a hit/smoke/vape or what ever else you want to call it.

But why do you see that as such a 'problem'? I mean you can orally injest something by one of 3 ways, swallowing, drinking or inhaling.

Put it to you this way, a lot of people enjoy drinking hot (almost to boiling point) beverages. Would you consider that as a 'problem'?

There is a key difference between an addiction and a dependency.

Also this isn't the Giving up Smoking forum, it is the Vaping forum, again a key difference.

Ahh here come one, your dependent/ addicted to vaping if you use it as a substitute for cigarettes.

The last time I checked, Home > Soc > Giving Up Smoking > Vaping & E-Smoking

Maybe it should be in Home > Rec > Smoking

For getting high it's brilliant

lol. wut? :confused:

Ahh here come one, your dependent/ addicted to vaping if you use it as a substitute for cigarettes.

Well if you want to use that analogy then yes I am dependent on nicotine because I quite happen to like the effect it has on me and I'm also quite partial to the act of inhaling a nice flavour.

Similarly you could consider me dependent on caffeine because I quite happen to like the effect it has on me and I'm also quite partial to the act of drinking a nice flavour.

You could also consider me dependent on alcohol because I quite happen to like the effect it has on me and I'm also quite partial to the act of drinking a nice flavour.

But why do you see that as such a 'problem'? I mean you can orally injest something by one of 3 ways, swallowing, drinking or inhaling.

Put it to you this way, a lot of people enjoy drinking hot (almost to boiling point) beverages. Would you consider that as a 'problem'?

I don't see it as a problem, it's better than smoking but suggesting replacing one habit with another makes no sense. Vaping should be suggested if the other fully addiction free methods fail.

Would you not like to be free of a habit that's of no benefit to you in any way?

Comparing Vaping/Smoking to having a bit of a cup of tea? Not sure I really get that.

i'll try and embed it here but i think some of us might be a bit too tipsy to follow it, the cheeky monkeys :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's late and I need to sleep so last warning. Rather than post a lengthy post about the harm reduction that comes naturally with vaping I'll ask you to educate yourself by reading the info. threads in this forum, follow the links. Then come back and make an educated argument as to why inhaling combusted tar that produces over 4000+ carcinogens and includes nicotine is exactly the same as vaporising a liquid into steam and inhaling it's contents of nicotine and propylene glycol just because it doesn't get people off the "habit". Nicotine is a stimulant like caffeine. If I switch to water am I still as badly off because I have not kicked the habit of raising a glass to my mouth?

Nothing is combusted, nothing is smoked. If you continue to ignore this then I'll just ban you because it's easier and I get to sleep. You'll find the champix choir in the parent forum.

I don't see it as a problem, it's better than smoking but suggesting replacing one habit with another makes no sense. Vaping should be suggested if the other fully addiction free methods fail.

Would you not like to be free of a habit that's of no benefit to you in any way?

Comparing Vaping/Smoking to having a bit of a cup of tea? Not sure I really get that.

Why not? Caffeine and nicotine are both mild stimulants that aid things like concentration and logical thought.

You drink tea because you enjoy the taste of it and because of the beneficial impact of the caffeine. Similarly I vape a flavoured e-liguid because I enjoy the taste of it and because of the beneficial impact of the nicotine.

• Advertisement

Well if you want to use that analogy then yes I am dependent on nicotine because I quite happen to like the effect it has on me and I'm also quite partial to the act of inhaling a nice flavour.

Similarly you could consider me dependent on caffeine because I quite happen to like the effect it has on me and I'm also quite partial to the act of drinking a nice flavour.

You could also consider me dependent on alcohol because I quite happen to like the effect it has on me and I'm also quite partial to the act of drinking a nice flavour.

Look here, who am I to preach, i'm not a coffee man but was a professional smoker for 20 years and i'm found of a beer or two.

I do think maybe thinking about it though the vaping forum should be moved to the smoking forum, could you see how I think that might help people who want to give up a habit of smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Ally all came here asking about vaping and we've answered them. You came here and asked allyall if they'd like give up smoking all together. Now we've all pointed out vaping isn't smoking and its not cancerous. Now you've changed your tune to allyall should stop addictions, replacing one addiction with another.

I understand how you'd want someone to give up an addiction entirely ,fair enough. Most of us have some level of addiction to something I believe.

Anyway like grindle I believe quitting vaping is much easier. I've gone a week without vaping and days here and there. I vape because I enjoy it not because I have too. Same way I drink beer and wine.

I could easily put down the drink and beer for a month or two just to prove I'm not physically addicted, I just enjoy it and I don't think its really that harmful so I continue to do it, logic and science tells vaping is nothing compared to smoking. If vaping can help someone quit the deadly fags and still enjoy inhaling something so be it, if they really want to be free of 'addiction' its going to be a lot easier to quit vaping than smoking fags.

I understand where your coming from and respect yiu want to help someone just as we all do here' but it sounds like vaping is more healthy for you than champix. The best way to quit a nictotine addiction is to get off the fags so your no longer ingesting the hundreds of other chemicals that your bodys also used to getting and probably addicted to also.

The best way to quit anything is cold turkey, not with drugs.

Anyone who used to smoke and any vapers will be able to tell you vaping is less addictive and hence will be easier for anyone to quit cold turkey without the use of any drugs.

it doesn't fix the problem which is the habit of having a hit/smoke/vape or what ever else you want to call it.

The problem with smoking isn't the hit, how are you blind to this? Why do you think this is "the problem"? Do you view habitual coffee drinkers the same way?
    "Pfft, those pathetic caffeine addicts! If only I could vent my skewed logic at them, then they would see!"

The problem with smoking is the health effects.

The cancer. The lungs filled with sludge. The wheezy cough every morning, the erectile dysfunction, the clogged arteries.

If smoking had none of these effects, I would still be smoking. You appear to have been the kind of smoker that never actually liked the act of smoking, the hit, the relaxation.

You're coming off like a nanny-state finger-wagger who won't stop until everybody has to make do with what you consider ideal.

Of course 'Vaping' should be under 'Giving Up Smoking'! If you vape, you have given up smoking!

It could also exist under Home>Rec, but there's an important health benefit to having it under 'Giving Up Smoking' which your arguments seem impervious to.

People looking to give up smoking but who like smoking or like the odd smoke or like smoking when drinking will reap the benefits of not smoking whilst remaining satisfied. That's an amazingly good thing!

People will delay their death by vaping, yet you insist it's smoking.
    Think. Before. You. Type.
    Calm down from the argument, allow a deep breath...
    Think objectively, without any of the anti-cig nazi stuff you've either read or self-cultivated:
    Is vaping as bad as smoking? Is it the same as smoking? Is it smoking? Will it stop people from dying sooner rather than later?
    No, No, No, Yes.
    And you insist it's a bad thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Look here, who am I to preach, i'm not a coffee man but was a professional smoker for 20 years and i'm found of a beer or two.

I do think maybe thinking about it though the vaping forum should be moved to the smoking forum, could you see how I think that might help people who want to give up a habit of smoking?

The Giving up Smoking forum is for people who want to do as you want them to do. Vaping is an alternative for those who wish to try it. Nobody is forcing anyone but we make a general assumption here that they have skipped that forum down to this one because they want to know about this particular option. If the OP has mistakenly come here instead of the parent forum then I think they are aware of that now.

I repeat we are not here to eliminate smoking we are here for a safer substitute. We would all acknowledge that the best option for any smoker to cut it out completely but we also know damn well life 'aint ever that simple and vaping is a god send for us in those cases.

As to the smoking forum. I suggest you go over there and ask them about your idea. It's been discussed before. You missed the boat and the decision has been made. Here we are in our corner as an option for someone to choose. For other options they can go on level up.

StickyIcky wrote: »

I understand how you'd want someone to give up an addiction entirely ,fair enough.

The best way to quit anything is cold turkey, not with drugs.

Thank you, I think we should all get some kip on that note.

Thank you, I think we should all get some kip on that note.

When you ignore everything people say and latch onto one line from a long post that agrees with you then yes it is most certainly time for sleep.

mewso wrote: »
    sleep.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

If you've for a fag looking object hanging out of your mouth and your pulling on it, your smoking. You need to break the habit of smoking to fully not smoke.

Sounds like he might be a friend of mr. Borg,

I'm not a smoker anymore, however I'm still a nicotine addict.

People with these beliefs are the very reason the EU directive will probably get passed unless there is a realization that we are adults and should be allowed to choose what we ingest (within reason) and not be limited to what the pharmaceutical industry wants us to ingest.

Imagine if tomorrow we were told that we were only allowed buy beer from a chemist because its potentially life threatening drug and a bad example to kids to sell it in a supermarket ? Factor in "Alcohol related" and it causes alot more deaths and serious injury than even cigarettes!

Personally I like my dose of nicotine the same way as I like my daily dose of caffeine and the same way I like a cold cider on a summers day, however I choose to use a less harmful method of nicotine ingestion than the readily available killer cigarettes.

Sorry its 10.30 am this side of the world :P

was.deevey wrote: »
    ...the same way I like a cold cider on a summers day...
    Sorry its 10.30 am this side of the world :P

Guess I have to stay up then.

What's cider like in the Phillipines?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

donkey piss :)

btw off the cigs since 21-12-12

and it is great,feel so much better
    now.i can walk a flight of stairs
    and still breath.

i did try MOST other ways of weaning
    myself off them.but for me they didnt
    work,the worse thing about vapin.
    for me is...you know that hit" high"
    you get from that first cig in the mornin.
    yea i missed that.however i got a twist ego an pumped the volts up
    an it worked for me(started with an
    ego c)
    this from 30+a day smoker.
    but it does take a get a bit of gettin use to..and for the love o gad
    dont inhale it like you would a real
    cig.

Advertisement