Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baltimore Ravens Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well we've given ye something to make up for robbing Pagano:
    After visiting the Steelers this weekend, former Colts HC Jim Caldwell plans to join Ravens offensive staff, likely as QB coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just over 11 years ago:

425213_10150512855136229_92774416228_8803015_348131152_n.jpg

Speaking at a Wednesday press conference alongside G.M. Ozzie Newsome, Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti adamantly confirmed that the team plans to keep quarterback Joe Flacco and free agent running back Ray Rice for the long term.

“Ray and Joe Flacco will be a part of this football team next year, period,” Bisciotti said.

Added Newsome, “We would like to have a deal done with Ray before before we have to put the (franchise) tag on him.”

The Ravens will be eligible to tag Rice beginning on February 20, but it sounds like they won’t do it immediately. The priority is to get Rice locked up long term.

Flacco’s future has been more of a question mark. The Ravens scaled back their offense in 2012, going more run-heavy down the stretch. Flacco has not yet led Baltimore to a Super Bowl, and he is entering a contract year.

“He’s trending up,” Bisciotti said of Flacco. “This is the sweet spot for him, years five through ten. … We’re just going to sit down and start grinding out contract terms. … I think he’s going to be extremely successful. I think he’s going to have rings.”

Have to say that bolded sentence is awful stupid....not many QB's lead their teams to a Superbowl...he was only a bloody dropped catch away this year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ball so hard baby

Suggs becomes the third Raven to get DPOY, the others of course being Ray Lewis and Reed. And this is the fourth win, Lewis won it twice
    04_SuggsDPOY_news.jpg

And congrats to Matt Birk, Walter Payton Man of the year award
    Birk does a lot of work on childhood literacy.
    And shows the Ravens record of signing top quality free agents
    841F1059D6394614A04C0357BA1B47D5.ashx

Yeah I pulled the pics off the main site, I'm lazy like that
    Just adding to the thread

Long post, we'll add it here for reference purposes so we can check against it over the next few months
    PLAYERS UNDER CONTRACT:

The Ravens presently have the following 35 players under contract for 2012 (with base salaries indicated):

QBs (2): Joe Flacco ($6.76M), Tyrod Taylor ($465K)

RBs (3): Ricky Williams ($1.5M), Vonta Leach ($3M), Anthony Allen ($465K)

WRs (6): Anquan Boldin ($6M), Torrey Smith ($529K), Lee Evans ($3.375M), David Reed ($540K), Tandon Doss ($465K), LaQuan Williams ($465K)

TE (2): Ed Dickson ($540K), Dennis Pitta ($540K)

OL (5): Michael Oher ($865K), Bryant McKinnie ($2M), Marshall Yanda ($4.5M), Jah Reid ($465K), Ramon Harewood ($540K),

DL (6): Haloti Ngata ($2.9M), Terrence Cody ($540K), Paul Kruger ($615K), Arthur Jones ($540K), Pernell McPhee ($465K), Michael McAdoo ($465K)

LBs (2): Ray Lewis ($4.95M), Terrell Suggs ($4.9M)

CBs (4): Domonique Foxworth ($5.6M), Chris Carr ($2.5M), Jimmy Smith ($714K), Chykie Brown ($465K)

S (3): Ed Reed ($7.2M), Bernard Pollard ($1.55M), Emmanuel Cook ($540K)

ST (2): Billy Cundiff ($2.2M), Sam Koch ($1.6M)

These 35 players are under contract for a total Salary Cap commitment of $107.9M. (Link to Salary Cap Spreadsheet).

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS (EFAs):

These players must be tendered contracts of the league minimum, based on the player’s length of service in the league (either $540K or $465K). Once tendered, these players are fully under the team’s control and are not free to negotiate with other teams.

The Ravens have 7 players who are Exclusive Rights Free Agents (EFAs):

OG – Justin Boren

LB – Josh Bynes

LS – Morgan Cox

CB – Danny Gorrer

LB – Sergio Kindle

LB – Albert McClellan

LB – Chavis Williams

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (RFAs):

These are players whose contracts have expired and who have 3 years of accrued service time. The team must tender the player with an RFA offer. Once done, another team can sign the RFA to an RFA offer sheet, but the Ravens then have 7 days to match that offer sheet and retain the player under the terms of that offer sheet. If the Ravens were to choose not to match the offer sheet, then they would receive compensation based on which level of RFA tender was made to the player.

There are 3 RFA tenders (the new CBA did away with the “high” tender of 1st and 3rd round draft picks as compensation):

1st Round Tender: allows the team to receive the other team’s 1st round - $2.846M (est)

2nd Round Tender: allows the team to receive the other team’s 2nd round pick - $2M (est)

Low Tender: allows the team to receive a draft pick equal to the round in which the player was originally drafted or the Right of First Refusal (ROFR) for an undrafted player - $1.308M (est)

The Ravens have 4 players who are Restricted Free Agents (RFAs):

LB – Dannell Ellerbe

RB – Matt Lawrence

CB – Lardarius Webb

CB – Carey Williams

In the past, the Ravens have usually tendered all of their RFAs, but on occasion, the team has non-tendered some players and instead, offered them one-year veteran minimum contracts. The veteran minimum salary for those players would be $615K. This year, Matt Lawrence could be a candidate for such a deal, if he’s even retained at all.

With these 11 players are added to the team’s Salary Cap, it raises the team’s total Salary Cap commitment to just over $124.96M for the 46 player either under contract or tendered.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (UFAs):

The following 13 players are Unrestricted Free Agents (UFAs) and will be free to sign with other teams if they haven’t re-signed with the Ravens before Free Agency begins on March 13th at 4:00 p.m.:

LB – Brendon Ayanbadejo

OC – Matt Birk

OG – Ben Grubbs

OC – Andre Gurode

LB – Jarret Johnson

LB – Edgar Jones

LB – Jameel McClain

DT – Brandon McKinney

S – Haruki Nakamura

DE – Corey Redding

RB – Ray Rice

TE – Kris Wilson

S – Tom Zbikowski

• Advertisement

Great stuff that Mike, cheers.

It was disappointing watching the Super Bowl last night knowing we missed a chance of being there.

Hopefully next season we can go one step further!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,727 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Paully D wrote: »
    Great stuff that Mike, cheers.

It was disappointing watching the Super Bowl last night knowing we missed a chance of being there.

Hopefully next season we can go one step further!

Or better yet, two steps ;)

There are a few of those free agents its important we keep. Obviously rice, but i hope to see mc clain and webb back.

Another $1.5mill of cap space...
    One of the great runs in the NFL has come to an end: Ravens running back Ricky Williams plans to retire.

Wonder if we can get Michael Bush
    Raiders are deep at RB

Big tough back at 6 ft 1 and 245 lb, perfect compliment for Rice
    Hits FA next month if Raiders don't get a deal done

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Wonder if we can get Michael Bush
    Raiders are deep at RB

Big tough back at 6 ft 1 and 245 lb, perfect compliment for Rice
    Hits FA next month if Raiders don't get a deal done

Disappointed to see Williams go as he had a good season complimenting Rice. At the very least no one can say his career was boring anyway! Knowing him it wouldn't surprised me if he announced he was coming back in a few weeks :pac:

What's the story with Anthony Allen, Mike? Would he be able to step up as Rice's back up?

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Or better yet, two steps ;)

There are a few of those free agents its important we keep. Obviously rice, but i hope to see mc clain and webb back.

Will Rice get the franchise tag placed on him? I'd imagine so, yeah? :)

Thinking about it Michael Bush will be too expensive, he had a great year and he'll get a deal somewhere

I'm excited with Anthony Allen
    Very violent runner, he just bashes and drives through people. With his look and his running style, he reminds me a lot of Steven Jackson.

He was a seventh round pick and lots of these players get cut or put on the practice squad.
    Ravens kept him on the roster for a reason and they like him a lot.
    Unsure he'll match what Ricky did this season but he looks to have a bright future. Definitely worth a roster spot next season and will be given every chance in pre-season

Paully D wrote: »
    Knowing him it wouldn't surprised me if he announced he was coming back in a few weeks

You never know
    It's very possible he'll be back shortly after he changes his mind
    There is a spot open for him anyway

Time to add some rescources

This is a good forum
    http://ravens24x7.com/forum/forum.php
    I post there and on the main official site under Irish Raven. Say hello if you see me.
    There is a UK and Ireland section there too

Also is a UK and Ireland flock

This is the old site, nothing happens with it anymore, died about two years ago.
    http://www.ukravens.co.uk/
    In the past there used to be chat but that's all gone to facebook these days.

If ye use twitter you can follow this
    https://twitter.com/ukravens
    Don't read much into the UK part. They mean Ireland too

There is a facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/UKRavens#!/UKRavens
    I'm not on facebook but I'll sign up some day

Anyways, if ye ever plan a trip to Baltimore these are places you can ask advice and for tips
    And just some extra stuff to read through, no football until August :(

Thanks for those links, Mike.

I'll look to get registered on the forum over the weekend to join in with the discussion. I've had a quick look in on it before and it seemed very good.

Definitely going to go to Baltimore within the next 3 years I'd say. Have been planning a trip over there before I even got into American Football. Have you ever been over?

Not yet but definitely one day

Been to the Wembley games but a game in Baltimore would be something else for noise and passion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Think the jets may look at bush. Problem is he had such a good season when McFadden got hurt he's going to cost significant cap

If not Bush, them maybe Mike Tolbert

I think he could be tempted

All depends on price

If price was not an issue then Willis McGahee would still be here

I see TO is touting himself around and reckons he could ''help'' the Ravens.

After his carry on in 2004 (agreeing to join the Ravens and then pulling the plug on the deal and jumping to the Eagles) which I read about in the 'Next Man Up' book, I'd be surprised if Ozzie Newsome would entertain such a move at all, there'd be no chance at all IMO.

Jesus, he only just closed his account, I know he said he was busy for the next few months, but didn't realize he meant he was going to try and make it in the NFL....kept that bit quiet from me!

:pac:

Schedule is not set of course but a look at oppononts next year

It's a more difficult schedule on paper to this years

But then who thought we'd lose to the Seahawks and Jags

HOME
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Cleveland Browns
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Denver Broncos
    Oakland Raiders
    New York Giants
    Dallas Cowboys
    New England Patriots

AWAY
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Cleveland Browns
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    San Diego Chargers
    Washington Redskins
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Houston Texans

Some big games there

Battle of the Beltway in Washington
    Have to play near neighbours Philadelphia

And Superbowl Champions NY Giants

Last time Ravens played the Cowboys it was the very last game in the old Cowboys stadium

Watching that I remember now how poor Fabian Washington was

• Advertisement

Jesus, that is a very difficult schedule.

The best thing about it though, is all the games I would think we'll find the hardest to win (Steelers, Cowboys, Giants, Broncos, Pats) apart from the Eagles are all at home where we're excellent. We're very inconsistent away from home so at least that's something.

Brian McFarland is not a journalist but he's a very knowledgable fan and knows more about the Ravens cap situation then pretty much any of the Baltimore journalists

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/the-coachs-buzz/

Segment Four is a great listen about the Ravens cap situation

You can listen online or download it to your ipod

Willis is a great player but he got destroyed here, that's Baltimore football

Aaron Wilson ‏ @RavensInsider
    Alabama LB Dont'a Hightower, South Carolina LB Melvin Ingram, LSU WR Rueben Randle and Temple RB Bernard Pierce said they met with Baltimore

Ozzie loves his 'bama players and Hightower would be an excellent pickup. Jarett Johnson and Jameel McClain are free agents and we're very light on linebackers. And Ellerbe is trash, I would not be sad to see him cut

Still, I want Peter Konz, center from Wisconsin
    Matt Birk is coming back for a year it seems and will be an excellent tutor. Center is a long term need for us

I wonder if Matt Birk would like to join the coaching staff one day :)

Two good articles

Season analysis of Ravens players grouped by position
    The writer will be working through the other areas over the next few weeks

Linebackers

Defensive line

He's an amateur writer but does great work and analyzes every single play for every game to grade players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Was working on my mock draft last night. Pre-combine, I have Zach Brown from North Carolina going to Baltimore. What would Ravens fans thoughts be on that?

I'm not sure Zach Brown would still be there at twenty nine and I see a lot mocking him to Green Bay

Ravens have a big need at ILB and Zach Brown is a good player but especially known for coverage skills which is important, can't ask Ray Lewis to do it all, Jameel McClain is a FA and was never that good in coverage and Daneel Ellerbe got abused by New England.
    Our best linebacker in coverage is Brendon Ayanbadejo, I think he'll be back but he is thirty five and can't last forever

For for an excellent ILB with coverage skills, Brown makes sense and would work in a mock draft

As a fan I'd prefer Peter Konz or Dont'a Hightower more though hard to say if they would still be on the board at the end of the first

Are you going to post your mock up on boards? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Are you going to post your mock up on boards? :)

Still putting it together, it's going to be a PDF document, I'll throw up a link to it once it's done if you want :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'm not sold on the whole drafting a linebacker thing. I think our defense is fine with or without Ray Lewis. I think we need a center, maybe a tackle.

Advertisement