Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Looks like he is going to surpass Leaf as biggest bust of all time.

That'll be some relief to us Charger fans after all the years of slagging about Leaf. :)

You's could have had Manning - that will always make Leaf so much worse IMO. The fact that he was favourite to go 1st pick AHEAD of one of the greats, and look at them now. Russell will never have that added humiliation.

You guys ditched Brees too, right? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

davyjose wrote: »

I always look back at that and wonder what if.

But it was Rivers' time I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

You's could have had Manning - that will always make Leaf so much worse IMO. The fact that he was favourite to go 1st pick AHEAD of one of the greats, and look at them now. Russell will never have that added humiliation.

Wasnt manning 1st pick, leaf second?

Davyjose said 'favourite' in his comment, that he was projected ahead of Manning at the time.

Davyjose said 'favourite' in his comment, that he was projected ahead of Manning at the time.
    Yeah, the media were convinced Leaf was the better prospect. And apparently Manning only swung it after his interview. San diego Claim they wanted Manning too - It seems manning spoke of how he would spend every day of the next 15 years making them regret it if they didn't draf him, and Leaf said something about going to vegas. Take from that what you will.

Gotta be honest Reacher, that the Saints recovered from the Manning/Leaf situ, the Brees situ, and ended up with Philip Rivers, suggests they were destined to have a great QB. The guy has what it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Speaking of busts, Reggie Bush for me is near is a top 10 worst one of all time. While he's had a solid career I remember the huge hype that surronded him and the amount of abuse Texans received when they didn't draft him.

Gotta be honest Reacher, that the Saints recovered from the Manning/Leaf situ, the Brees situ, and ended up with Philip Rivers, suggests they were destined to have a great QB. The guy has what it takes.

Definitely so. My guess is that the Chargers utterly knew that Rivers was going to be explosive in his future. They kept him waiting in the wings and launched him when the time was right. In his first season he flipped 22 touchdowns to 9 interceptions and a 14-2 campaign. Incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Pete P Peterson

is there any chance of a game in ireland, lads? I've heard rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

is there any chance of a game in ireland, lads? I've heard rumours.

No, none, at least not for a few years. I'd say best bet is a pre-season game like the one between the Steelers and Bears in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Speaking of busts, Reggie Bush for me is near is a top 10 worst one of all time. While he's had a solid career I remember the huge hype that surronded him and the amount of abuse Texans received when they didn't draft him.

I kinda disagree here. I think Bush had a solid rookie season, and would have been much better the last two seasons if not for injuries. I'm looking forward to watching him play injury free.

Also I like him anyway for the amount of charity work he did :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Watching Montana vs Villanova in NCAA Div 1 Title (afaik). Good game, Marinari and Szczur having a great game (apparently the latter is moving to MLB next year!).

Woah - sure thing turns into a nightmare for Villanova - Grizzlies get TD with 1m07s left, 2 points in it with all 6 T/O's left.

Villanova 23, Montana 21,
    1 min left.

Trojan wrote: »

Villanova 23, Montana 21,
    1 min left.

Final

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

What an ignorant piece Peter King wrote. Chad Ochocinco has donated to many charities own his own behalf anyways. He had a charity back in 2007 called Feed the Children which he ran with help from Yahoo. And you are right the NFL donates a high proportion of all its fines to Charities also.

Yeah, the fact the nfl punish him for wearing something on the sideline for less then 5 seconds is the really ridiculous part of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Yeah, the media were convinced Leaf was the better prospect. And apparently Manning only swung it after his interview. San diego Claim they wanted Manning too - It seems manning spoke of how he would spend every day of the next 15 years making them regret it if they didn't draf him, and Leaf said something about going to vegas. Take from that what you will.

Like someone already said we couldn't 'have had' Manning as he was picked no. 1 and Leaf no. 2. The fact that we gave so much up to get to that spot meant we were happy either way Manning or Leaf. It was a real close call at the time. Indy made the right choice and we made the choice we felt we had to make.

We did not 'ditch' Brees. He was out of contract and had just wrecked his shoulder in his last game as a Charger. And we had a superstar (as we know now) sitting on the bench costing mega bucks. It was the right call by our GM. We made Brees a very fair offer (1 yr) considering everything and he chose to go for the long term from New Orleans.

Another point to remember is he first went to Miami and expected to sign for them but they were not convinced on his shoulder and went for Culpepper.

If anyone F'ed up on Brees it was Miami. At the end of the day it has worked out great for both Rivers and Brees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

Leslie91 wrote: »
    We did not 'ditch' Brees. He was out of contract and had just wrecked his shoulder in his last game as a Charger. And we had a superstar (as we know now) sitting on the bench costing mega bucks. It was the right call by our GM. We made Brees a very fair offer (1 yr) considering everything and he chose to go for the long term from New Orleans.

Yeah totally agree. They had to go with Rivers with the money he was making and the question marks over the shoulder injury.

I find it hard to fault the Chargers in any of this. They had to draft Rivers in 2004 because Brees wasn't getting it done at the time. I was only 15 at the time but I remember reading an article during the 2003 season about Brees being one of the worst QB's in the league! Funny how its all turned out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I'd like to see the league to do away with the tuck rule. Does the QB lose possession of the ball? Yes? Is it an incomplete pass? No? Then it's a fumble. I don't care what the QB was in the process of doing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Just got Patriots playoff tickets :cool:

Could be against the Broncos, Ravens, Steelers, Texans or Jets...all will be great games, especially if its against the Jets cos Sanchez is going to suck in the snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Hazys wrote: »

Could be against the Broncos, Ravens, Steelers, Texans or Jets...all will be great games, especially if its against the Jets cos Sanchez is going to suck in the snow.

Im super jealous of you. I was supposed to be there right now. The one year I get tickets for the playoffs I can't get over there had to pass them on to another friend. I hate you Hazys hate you :D:D:D

Hazys wrote: »

Duuuuude. I'm f*cking jealous of you! :) Awesome news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

Did any one else see the sport science show with Drew Brees on it? They test his accuracy and the results are amazing! I know Brees is great but f#ck me this is unbelievable!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVoqA-LKGb4

Hynzie wrote: »
    Did any one else see the sport science show with Drew Brees on it? They test his accuracy and the results are amazing! I know Brees is great but f#ck me this is unbelievable!!!

Love that show but check this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7tGY-VDx3o

Check out this one Ray Lewis

That video only reaffirms how good it is Brees is!

That's ridiculous by Brees. I'm still not sure I believe it. Simply because it's too unbelievable. Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Can't belieive Brees did that. That was an incredible video

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I wouldn't doubt Brees because he's a master at toughest throw in football - throwing to receiver's outside shoulder. The Ray lewis thing was seriously impressive, think the rugby/football thing slightly unfair, gimme a world class rugby player and a linebacker to compare him with.

jdivision wrote: »
    I wouldn't doubt Brees because he's a master at toughest throw in football - throwing to receiver's outside shoulder. The Ray lewis thing was seriously impressive, think the rugby/football thing slightly unfair, gimme a world class rugby player and a linebacker to compare him with.

That Rugby V AF one was good until the narrators summary at the end. He made so many solid points and then ruined it right at the end.

jdivision wrote: »

It's not that I doubt him, but for me, that's akin to a snooker player going out and getting 5 147 breaks in a row to win a game, or a tennis player serving an ace every serve in a match. To ping it ten times in a row on a horizontal axis is impressive, but nailing the distance like that ... I can't get my head around it.
    I'm a fan of many, many sports, and I'm late to American Football. I initially became a fan of the Sport because I watched a Colts game, and saw just this explosive, dynamic offense and realised that far from being a boring game (as some people I know seriously, with a straight face, still attest), it was incredibly exciting. And as a Rugby fan, the physical nature of the game blew me away (always impressed me, really). I've been a Man United fan since the age of 5, have watched every popular and unpopular sport since a very early age ... I'm the guy who stays up til 3 am watching the Olympics - the winter olympics, never mind the real one. I have a strong interest in everything from F1 to Cricket. There is NO sport I don't have a fascination with. It's a freakish compulsion. I even watch bloody Archery, when it's on!!! And I will say this....

I've yet to see a piece of skill more impressive than what Brees did in that video. Honestly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I'm sure he was given practice throws, thing is though, it's 20 yards straight down the middle which is bread and butter to a QB and his accuracy is elite, saints couldn't run that offence without him imo, maybe manning but I don't think Brady or Rivers would be as effective in it. You very rarely see him throwing ducks, in fact i can't remember seeing him throw one before.Manning, Rivers and Brady are up there too in accuracy but that said their throws occasionally seem to wobble more. Favre throws a hard pass but God it's ugly to look at.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement