Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Database Hosting Only with php & mysql?

• 21-10-2014 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi peoples,

Been doing some googling and I'm just wondering if anybody has used or can recommend a database hosting company, for say building iOS or android applications instead of just using generic web hosts?

Cheers
    Dpjmie

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

dpjmie wrote: »
    Hi peoples,

Been doing some googling and I'm just wondering if anybody has used or can recommend a database hosting company, for say building iOS or android applications instead of just using generic web hosts?

Cheers
    Dpjmie

Sorry dpjmie, a long-standing boards rule forbids the discussion/recommendation of any hosting providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Hi dpjmie, PM me if you like. (I don't work for a hosting company.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

TBH, I'm struggling to think of how such a host would differ in any meaningful way from a standard Web host. Is there a reason you feel it should?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

TBH, I'm struggling to think of how such a host would differ in any meaningful way from a standard Web host. Is there a reason you feel it should?

Possibly more focus on DB optimisations?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Hi sorry I didn't explain myself well enough, I was looking for more than just dbms, I was looking at push notifications and other features...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Hi sorry I didn't explain myself well enough, I was looking for more than just dbms, I was looking at push notifications and other features...
    It looks like you'd be better off with a VPS then. However unless you are getting pretty funky, a standard hosting package should have what you need and be cheaper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Look at some of the MBaaS (Mobile back end as a service) providers, you'll save hours/days/weeks/months trying to write that type of functionality.

Most of them offer a free-level package to start you off.

Kinvey
    Feedhenry
    Appcelerator
    Parse

If all you need is push notifications, take a look at something like UrbanAirship/Pushwoosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Graham wrote: »
    Look at some of the MBaaS (Mobile back end as a service) providers, you'll save hours/days/weeks/months trying to write that type of functionality.

Most of them offer a free-level package to start you off.

Kinvey
    Feedhenry
    Appcelerator
    Parse

If all you need is push notifications, take a look at something like UrbanAirship/Pushwoosh.

Thank you very much, its a college project so will require bit more than push notifications, but will have a look through the list above,

Thanks again

Advertisement