Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rate My Team thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭farranreeboy

Krul

Fabio Riise Lescott

Valencia Silva Bale Santi Carzola

Ba Agureo Pogrebnyak

What ye reckon guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

redzerdrog wrote: »
    thinking of re-jigging my back line. Gona take out santon as I just dont fancy Newcastle this year and the other one i am not sure on is Jenkinson, will he be a starter? has he played in pre-season?

I'd say your main concern in that backline is having 6.5 spent on Johnson instead of Lescott.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭RB100

carlcon wrote: »
    I'd say your main concern in that backline is having 6.5 spent on Johnson instead of Lescott.

Do you think Zaba would be just as good as Lescott? seems like a starter now for City. He scored in pre season, attacking and he's cheaper. Just a thought.

oh and if City sign agger you can bet that Kompany won't be making way for him.

p.s I have Lescott atm.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Been messing around with my team a bit. Which of the options below do you guys prefer?

Option 1: £0.0 in the bank

team3v.jpg

Option 2: £0.0 in the bank

team4zc.jpg

I'm not particularly keen on either of them!

I wish Spurs would just go and sign a striker so I can decide whether I'm going to risk playing a Spurs striker up front at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Nuts102

What do people think.

De Gea

Lescott
    Shawcross
    Pearce

Kagawa
    Snodgrass
    McClean
    Dyer

Rooney
    Aguero
    Bent

Subs Federici Allen Thompson, Danny Fox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

^ Pretty decent, have you much in the bank?

Think I'm set with mine now..

DDG
    A. Cole, Fabio, Rafael, Simpson, McCartney
    Kagawa, Hazard, Santi, Dyer, Lallana
    Torres, Suarez, Pogrebnyak

Got me 1.5 left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

^ Pretty decent, have you much in the bank?

Think I'm set with mine now..

DDG
    A. Cole, Fabio, Rafael, Simpson, McCartney
    Kagawa, Hazard, Santi, Dyer, Lallana
    Torres, Suarez, Pogrebnyak

Got me 1.5 left

Rafael won't be playing straight away anyway so take him out. Staylor and Coloccini (in that order) are infinitely better than Simpson. My advice would be to try to get a City defender aka Lescott.

The 3 newbies in midfield is a huge gamble at the start - perhaps change one of them for a player with EPL experience e.g. Bale. The 3 you have could work out but it's very risky from the start.

Suarez is another risky pick up fromt, much better value out there I think but he might do well. Pog I don't like at all but he's pretty popular so I can't really say too much about him.

Sorry for only negative criticism but I'm sure you're aware of the positives of your team already :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

RMT please. All suggestions welcome.

De Gea Begovic
    Lescott A.Cole Shawcross Fabio McCartney
    Silva Hazard Siggy Allen Ireland
    Torres Bent Pog

A few questions you might be able to help me out on as well.

1: De Gea is in until I see how big United's defensive problems are. He might get swapped out for Jussi - I think he and Begovic are probably the best cheap combo on paper. De Gea to Jussi would mean changes elsewhere though because I'd have double coverage on both Stoke and Hammers defence.

2: Silva costs a lot, want some city attack though.

3: Unsure on Allen. He's cheap and going to liverpool but will he deliver goals and assists or will he just move the ball around?

4: Aware Ireland and Bent is a bit heavy on villa attacking but find it hard to come up with a better cheap mid than Ireland. Would consider Jelavic for Bent. However if Villa score goals and it is Ireland playing behind Bent, it's hard to see how they won't both do well.

5: Would consider Hazard to Lampard and Siggy to Bale for same price.

6: McCartney just ripped off from some else. Will he play??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Have you any money left? No rooney, aguero or Tevez strikes me.

Silva prog wont be fit for first week so i'd go Silva to Yaya and Pog to Graham.

I'd then use the €1m to get pienaar for Ireland. Or you could go bent to Cisse but i'll be waiting till post Ramadan to consider him.

Theres no way in hell i'd want 2 villa attackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Federici
    Rafael Cole Clichy
    Kagawa Siggy Hazard Michu
    Pog Torres Aguero
    Subs: Begovic, frei, mccartney, clark

What do ye make of that? Will try and get out pog (for graham) and either torres or hazard for GW3. Probably taking a few too many risks at midfield with all 4 starters at new clubs this season, so will likely change again before GW1 begins!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

lDxB7.png
    Jaaskelainen
    Fabio Kaboul Lescott Shawcross
    Hazard Cazorla Kagawa
    Pog Torres Aguero
    Subs: Begovic Walters Bannan Hooiveld

My latest attempt .

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Have you any money left? No rooney, aguero or Tevez strikes me.

Silva prog wont be fit for first week so i'd go Silva to Yaya and Pog to Graham.

I'd then use the €1m to get pienaar for Ireland. Or you could go bent to Cisse but i'll be waiting till post Ramadan to consider him.

Theres no way in hell i'd want 2 villa attackers.

Thanks a million for the response.

As with most, I'd plan Rooney/Ageuro in for Torres fairly quickly.

Didn't know that about Silva - yaya's in. Is it worth keeping Pog for the double and then looking to switch.

Maybe Silva to yaya and ireland to Nolan or some other decent 6 or 6.5 mid???

OK, second attempt. Feedback please.

Was trying to stick to a plan of 2 top defenders, 3 top mids and 2 top strikers that was posted here a few days ago (think it was carlcon) but finding it hard to afford this. Is this only feasible after making some $$$?

Anyway....

Jussi Begovic

Lescott Terry Shawx Fabio Demel
    Allen Nolan Mata YaYa Pieenar
    Ageuro Torres Graham

2.0 left in the bank to upgrade Torres to Rooney or fix any other mistakes that become apparant after GW1.

The issues:

I've doubled up on Stoke and West Ham defence but i think they, along with QPR, will be the decent cheap punts for home CS's. Might do Shawx to Newc defender though.

Is Graham that much better an option than Pog?? I usually try to stay away from new players until you can see how they settle in the league. In Swansea's case, they've a new manager so that worries me hugely about the whole team.

I took out the bale/siggy option because i feel Spurs might bomb without a striker. That allowed me to upgrade from bent to ageuro.

All feedback welcome. Family means I can't do the same pre-season research I have in previous years - just need someone enlightened to guide me towards a good starting team so i can put it to bed for another fortnight.

Many thanks

Shane732 wrote: »
    Been messing around with my team a bit. Which of the options below do you guys prefer?

Option 1: £0.0 in the bank

team3v.jpg

Option 2: £0.0 in the bank

team4zc.jpg

I'm not particularly keen on either of them!

I wish Spurs would just go and sign a striker so I can decide whether I'm going to risk playing a Spurs striker up front at the start.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

This might be crap advice but from reading a lot on it today, here goes.

I'd have doubts about Ramsey and Maloney on the first one. Ramsey could see limited game time and even if he plays all the time, would need to reverse last years trend to come up with your goals and assists. Better midfielders out there for the same price I reckon.

Cisse could be awesome but Newcastle have tough fixtures early on. Obviously if he's banging them in from the right touchline like last year, that won't matter, but I prefer Ageuro here.

Also I'd worry about Hazard and Kagawa and VDV in the same team in number 2. Maybe Mata and Bale better than Hazard and VDV. You'd imagine they're both nailed on and even if you do want to change back, it's not the worst thing in the world to have to wait a couple of weeks. However if VDV starts game one on the bench (and even if he doesn't he'll be subbed after 60 mins) and Hazard is gradually brought in or has little influence you're going to be forced into big early changes or even a wildcard. Also I'm avoiding KAgawa cause I've no idea what the hell fergie is doing with his formation or players - could be good though.

Lastly, will Clichy defo play every game??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thoughts?

Kelly to hughes anyway for starters.

Walters to Pienaar

Maloney to Noble

Thats just straight swaps. There is plenty more i'd do though

gosplan wrote: »
    This might be crap advice but from reading a lot on it today, here goes.

I'd have doubts about Ramsey and Maloney on the first one. Ramsey could see limited game time and even if he plays all the time, would need to reverse last years trend to come up with your goals and assists. Better midfielders out there for the same price I reckon.

Cisse could be awesome but Newcastle have tough fixtures early on. Obviously if he's banging them in from the right touchline like last year, that won't matter, but I prefer Ageuro here.

Also I'd worry about Hazard and Kagawa and VDV in the same team in number 2. Maybe Mata and Bale better than Hazard and VDV. You'd imagine they're both nailed on and even if you do want to change back, it's not the worst thing in the world to have to wait a couple of weeks. However if VDV starts game one on the bench (and even if he doesn't he'll be subbed after 60 mins) and Hazard is gradually brought in or has little influence you're going to be forced into big early changes or even a wildcard. Also I'm avoiding KAgawa cause I've no idea what the hell fergie is doing with his formation or players - could be good though.

Lastly, will Clichy defo play every game??

I have Bale and Hazard in my team I was just messing around with different combinations last night. Hazard is a nailed on started no questions, far more so than Mata who had the Euro and the Olympics. I think Mata will be rested a fair bit at the start of the season.

I'm messing around with forwards at the moment as I have Tevez in my actual team and I'm not sure how much game time he's going to get.

I agree with you re Kagawa - I'm beginning to bottle it with him for the start of the season.

I don't agree with the point about Ramsey at all. Personally I think he'll get far more game time this year. Furthermore, people are mentioning Song as being an assist machine this season (albeit for Barca!) yet Ramsey had only 25 points less than him last year with very restricted game time.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Kelly to hughes anyway for starters.

Walters to Pienaar

Maloney to Noble

Thats just straight swaps. There is plenty more i'd do though

Could you give any reasons for your swaps?

I tried to build a team for after the initial "have as many Chelsea players as possible" opening phase.

I can see myself with a team like this a month into the game. Easily made without wasting a wildcard so early in the season, like so many people do.

11.5 in the bank and a blank striker spot so I can pick whatever striker is on form. Adjustments can be made if Roo of RVP are looking like must-haves.

NyP9j.png

Basic formation:

de Gea

Vidic / Lescott / Coloccini (or Hangeland depending on fixtures)

Bale / Pienaar / Larsson / Noble (or Allen)

Aguero / Graham / Money in the bank for anyone on form

Bench: Federici / Hangeland (or Col) / Allen (or Noble) / Clyne

carlcon wrote: »
    I tried to build a team for after the initial "have as many Chelsea players as possible" opening phase.

I can see myself with a team like this a month into the game. Easily made without wasting a wildcard so early in the season, like so many people do.

11.5 in the bank and a blank striker spot so I can pick whatever striker is on form. Adjustments can be made if Roo of RVP are looking like must-haves.

NyP9j.png

Basic formation:

de Gea

Vidic / Lescott / Coloccini (or Hangeland depending on fixtures)

Bale / Pienaar / Larsson / Noble (or Allen)

Aguero / Graham / Money in the bank for anyone on form

Bench: Federici / Hangeland (or Col) / Allen (or Noble) / Clyne

That's unlike your normal teams. 2 expensive defenders, also a £6.0m goalkeeper and only one "top" midfielder.

Its not a bad team but your midfield is relying on the lower level midfielders to produce results.

I know a lot of people are talking Pienaar up at the moment - he's only topped 100 points twice while in the premier league. The fate of Everton going forward will be decided by Jelavic - if he's on form then the lads behind will have plenty of assists.

I think Allen will be a good buy.

Why Vidic over what other cheaper Man Utd defender starts regularly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Further tweaks,starting to settle a bit now

Two top priced mids give me plenty options to upgrade if nessecary rather than being humped with too many mid range guys i cant upgrade quickly.

Carzola i have big hopes for and Michu is my gamble but at 6.5 i can easy change for the usual 6.5 guys...

Forwards are what everyone has and the standard 2.0 in the bank to move out Torres for Rooney if nessecary or a gamble on Bent

347ece201058ed3520f02ee6a009cce8.png?1344631501

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭farranreeboy

Do any of ye guys think carzola hazard and kagawa will be first choice starters? i've already Silva Bale VDV in midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Do any of ye guys think carzola hazard and kagawa will be first choice starters? i've already Silva Bale VDV in midfield

carzola and hazard will be first team regulars for sure, no one knows fergies plans for kagawa yet

dahat wrote: »
    Further tweaks,starting to settle a bit now

Two top priced mids give me plenty options to upgrade if nessecary rather than being humped with too many mid range guys i cant upgrade quickly.

Carzola i have big hopes for and Michu is my gamble but at 6.5 i can easy change for the usual 6.5 guys...

Forwards are what everyone has and the standard 2.0 in the bank to move out Torres for Rooney if nessecary or a gamble on Bent

347ece201058ed3520f02ee6a009cce8.png?1344631501

no lescott? and i'm personally going for ireland over allen for now. ireland will be more advanced this year so hopefully he will shine under new management, allen will be playing deep for the pool so i can see ireland outscoring him easily. also going Jaaskelainen instead of federici looking at fixtures after the dgw

nice team

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

darego wrote: »
    no lescott? and i'm personally going for ireland over allen for now. ireland will be more advanced this year so hopefully he will shine under new management, allen will be playing deep for the pool so i can see ireland outscoring him easily. also going Jaaskelainen instead of federici looking at fixtures after the dgw

nice team

Ireland V Allen,good point and might just make that change given the fixtures Villa have though he is an iffy so and so at his best.
    I'd love Lescott but i need a bank of 2 at least to shift Torres when the time comes,thats the reason he isn't in

settled on this team for now. planning on phasing out the chelsea players starting with cole and hazard. cole for rafael and hazard for uniteds on form winger (whoever that may be from kagawa nani young and valencia) for gw3. torres i will see.. may stick with him or chop and change between him cisse or even giroud if VP leaves for juve (hopefully he pisses off out of the premiership :pac: )

taking a gamble on tevez also. i'm stuck between Maloney and Noble.. sided with Noble since hes on corners and penos but now that diarra is signed it may mess up his ff potential

kind of worried about not having a plan to get rooney in if he starts banging them in.. and he would want to for 12 million. if he does i'll wildcard it to get him into the team

53d9bb01d288a8aedb37aeab362eb2cb.png?1344632379

dahat wrote: »
    Ireland V Allen,good point and might just make that change given the fixtures Villa have though he is an iffy so and so at his best.
    I'd love Lescott but i need a bank of 2 at least to shift Torres when the time comes,thats the reason he isn't in

aguero > tevez to free up some cash for lescott? tevez to outscore aguero this season mark my words :D

That's unlike your normal teams. 2 expensive defenders, also a £6.0m goalkeeper and only one "top" midfielder.

Its not a bad team but your midfield is relying on the lower level midfielders to produce results.

I know a lot of people are talking Pienaar up at the moment - he's only topped 100 points twice while in the premier league. The fate of Everton going forward will be decided by Jelavic - if he's on form then the lads behind will have plenty of assists.

I think Allen will be a good buy.

Why Vidic over what other cheaper Man Utd defender starts regularly?

It's true, it's definitely a step away from my usual structure. Simply put, it's my "safe" team. I won't be seeing as much football this season, and more importantly won't be looking up stats or listening to the best radio shows this season, so I'm basically playing casually, maybe logging in twice a week if I'm lucky.

For that reason, I'm looking for solid players I can leave in there for consistency, rather than anticipating "the next big thing" like I did with the likes of Ba last season.

As for Vidic: Only he and Evra are guarenteed to start every game when fit. Evra is pretty awful (I don't care about his points last season, he's awful) so that just leaves me with Vidic. If it turns out that Jones or Rafael are playing every week, I'll downgrade. But until then, Vidic is as safe as houses.

darego wrote: »
    aguero > tevez to free up some cash for lescott? tevez to outscore aguero this season mark my words :D

Tevez could turn out to be the best bargain this season by a mile if he takes a break from his golfing career. If both he and Aguero are playing together (at this point there's no reason for them not to) Tevez is no less likely to score goals, and is arguably the most proven FF player of the two.

But that's IF he's just concentrating on football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Skippy44

This is what I've settled on so far. Not keen on spending more than 9.5 on keepers but not too fussed on the combos at that price. 2 mil in the kitty. Thoughts/opinions welcome please. Was hoping Lord Snodgrass would come in at 5m or 5.5m, 6 was a bit of a shock.

fa16dd8265f9ce35007c74341186b02a.png?1344633728

Advertisement