Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Cheers for the quick responses lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Tipp County Chairman seemingly said on Tipp Fm tonight that they would be appealing Callinan's red card despite on going reports on national radio all day.

Hope he is successful to be honest, make it a full test. Was impressed with Barry Coughlan yesterday even if Galway were poor to be fair to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Tipp County Chairman seemingly said on Tipp Fm tonight that they would be appealing Callinan's red card despite on going reports on national radio all day.

Hope he is successful to be honest, make it a full test. Was impressed with Barry Coughlan yesterday even if Galway were poor to be fair to him.

Ya I hope Callanan plays, his sending off was a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭carter10

Ya I hope Callanan plays, his sending off was a disgrace
    Callinan punched a player last day out and got away with it so I've little sympathy for him. Shane O'Sullivan was denied on appeal last after being sent off for accidently connecting with a Dublin players helmet so I can't see how Callinans case will be any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

carter10 wrote: »
    Callinan punched a player last day out and got away with it so I've little sympathy for him. Shane O'Sullivan was denied on appeal last after being sent off for accidently connecting with a Dublin players helmet so I can't see how Callinans case will be any different.

Not to mention Brick's red card. Have a feeling this will be over turned however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Not to mention Brick's red card. Have a feeling this will be over turned however.

While not wanting to go againest waterford I hope it is over turned as I think he's the best forward in the country at the min and worth paying in to see play

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Do we have any outstanding debt after the 500,000 spondulics we got off the Munster council? Article in the Independent says half of it is goong into redeveloping Walsh Park, will that actually happen do we reckon? Proper terracing around the place would go a long way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Ropaire wrote: »
    Do we have any outstanding debt after the 500,000 spondulics we got off the Munster council? Article in the Independent says half of it is goong into redeveloping Walsh Park, will that actually happen do we reckon? Proper terracing around the place would go a long way!

Was there not terracing put in the past year or 2?

Was there not terracing put in the past year or 2?

That terracing on the bank is a joke....was at the Laois match last year and twoz a nice evening....went onto the bank and being honest....couldn't see half the pitch....really badly elevated was better before they went at it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ropaire wrote: »

Theyll probably try & put half of it into Frahar Field...

Speaking of Walsh Park. Ah what might have been

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/55-million-facelift-for-walsh-park-confirmed/

• Advertisement

Ya what might have been a waste of €5.5million

We don't need a 20k stadium, just like Cork don't need a new stadium either. They would be filled a handful of times over ten years.
    Invest in people first not facilities
    Do you know what the main question asked by British people when watching hurling for the first time on sky sports? Why all the empty seats/ why don't people go to games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Ya what might have been a waste of €5.5million

We don't need a 20k stadium, just like Cork don't need a new stadium either. They would be filled a handful of times over ten years.
    Invest in people first not facilities
    Do you know what the main question asked by British people when watching hurling for the first time on sky sports? Why all the empty seats/ why don't people go to games.

That's because the GAA have had (on a number of ocassions) the cameras facing towards the empty stand when the stand underneath the cameras is totally full. Seen it many a time in thurles and its crazy to be honest.

Also, More crowds would be nice but it seems that Irish people are unhappy with paying more than a fiver for a championship game.

O Riain wrote: »
    That's because the GAA have had (on a number of ocassions) the cameras facing towards the empty stand when the stand underneath the cameras is totally full. Seen it many a time in thurles and its crazy to be honest.

Also, More crowds would be nice but it seems that Irish people are unhappy with paying more than a fiver for a championship game.

So building all these stadiums is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Proper terracing, as in steps, would be nice. Anything more than that is a vanity project.

Ya just pump money if it is there into the primary schools...
    We will all fill croke park on the back of it for a future all Ireland

O Riain wrote: »

Is there a camera gantry in the New Stand in Thurles? In fairness, if they were only opening one stand in Thurles it should be the old one and to hell with how it looks on the telly. You're dead right about the fiver thing though. The GAA always seem to charge €5 more than what would guarantee a full house!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

deiseach wrote: »
    Proper terracing, as in steps, would be nice. Anything more than that is a vanity project.

I'd agree, one good stand and stepped terracing like a smaller version of Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

A pitch that took the water better would have been great. More comfortable seats in the stand would have been great. Proper terracing would have been great. A little bit more room inside for getting in / out / toilets / shop would have been great. And proper nets behind the goals instead of the chicken wire would have been great.

It wasn't about increasing capacity for vanity, it was about making it a better stadium for the players and fans. And it's possible that we could have had the odd championship match there if it had been upgraded.

It's embarrassing that this was offered to us and we couldn't agree to accept it. It's also embarrassing that a county of our size has two cr@p stadiums. In reality there isn't a need for every county in Ireland to have a stadium (of the size they're built to), let alone a county the size of Waterford having two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

blue note wrote: »
    A pitch that took the water better would have been great. More comfortable seats in the stand would have been great. Proper terracing would have been great. A little bit more room inside for getting in / out / toilets / shop would have been great. And proper nets behind the goals instead of the chicken wire would have been great.

It wasn't about increasing capacity for vanity, it was about making it a better stadium for the players and fans. And it's possible that we could have had the odd championship match there if it had been upgraded.

It's embarrassing that this was offered to us and we couldn't agree to accept it. It's also embarrassing that a county of our size has two cr@p stadiums. In reality there isn't a need for every county in Ireland to have a stadium (of the size they're built to), let alone a county the size of Waterford having two.

Spot on. Whatever they spent the money on recently they have made it worse. Whatever cowboy job they did on the Ard na Greine terrace, the whole lot fell in on top of the peoples gardens (would have killed anyone standing on the other side) - and tt still looks a mess there!

At a very minimum there should be concrete terracing instead of the crap gravel with weeds growing out of it there and a wall with nails sticking out of it. The two planks of wood which are supposed to be seating are shocking too. I've been to many county grounds all over the country and Walsh Park is by far the biggest sh1thole around. You actually feel embarrassed when matches are screened live there.

I don't feel any need to be embarrassed about Walsh Park. It wouldn't take much to make it better (not setting the bar very high there) and it's frustrating when those minor improvements don't materialise, but it's actually fit for purpose. It rarely stages games of more than a few hundred, let alone a few thousand. The end point of all these discussions always seem to centre around building yet another white elephant. If the choice was between fulfilling all the wishes of the noisiest critics or doing nothing with the ground, I'd go for the latter.

• Advertisement

deiseach wrote: »
    I don't feel any need to be embarrassed about Walsh Park. It wouldn't take much to make it better (not setting the bar very high there) and it's frustrating when those minor improvements don't materialise, but it's actually fit for purpose. It rarely stages games of more than a few hundred, let alone a few thousand. The end point of all these discussions always seem to centre around building yet another white elephant. If the choice was between fulfilling all the wishes of the noisiest critics or doing nothing with the ground, I'd go for the latter.

No one is looking for another gaelic ground here, the capacity of the ground is fine as you say, but it is not fit for purpose. Just some seats that you can sit on for more than 20 mins without getting a pain in your arse and an even concrete terrace that is pretty much standard in every county ground is what is needed.

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't get a pain in my arse sitting in the stand in Walsh Park. I quite like being able to, shall we say, spread myself out which is something you couldn't do in a plastic seat. As for the terraces, I agree with that.

redlead wrote: »
    Spot on. Whatever they spent the money on recently they have made it worse. Whatever cowboy job they did on the Ard na Greine terrace, the whole lot fell in on top of the peoples gardens (would have killed anyone standing on the other side) - and tt still looks a mess there!

At a very minimum there should be concrete terracing instead of the crap gravel with weeds growing out of it there and a wall with nails sticking out of it. The two planks of wood which are supposed to be seating are shocking too. I've been to many county grounds all over the country and Walsh Park is by far the biggest sh1thole around. You actually feel embarrassed when matches are screened live there.

I do recall being at a qualifier in Dr.cullen park and thinking it was like some ground out of Russia....maybe it's upgraded since???

So it's not the crapness of Walsh park is the issue (new dressing rooms???)

A lot of the issue is waterford City is too far out of the way to be realistically holding neutral championship matches

Didn't the gaa once refuse to pay to upgrade lights in Walsh park for this very reason???
    And instead provided funding for fraher fields light!!!

If it's championship matches people want...it's fraher field should be upgraded???....more room around it to develop etc!!!

But this in all honesty would open up the old East v west divide

I do recall being at a qualifier in Dr.cullen park and thinking it was like some ground out of Russia....maybe it's upgraded since???

So it's not the crapness of Walsh park is the issue (new dressing rooms???)

A lot of the issue is waterford City is too far out of the way to be realistically holding neutral championship matches

Didn't the gaa once refuse to pay to upgrade lights in Walsh park for this very reason???
    And instead provided funding for fraher fields light!!!

If it's championship matches people want...it's fraher field should be upgraded???....more room around it to develop etc!!!

But this in all honesty would open up the old East v west divide

We aren't going to get any neutral games anyway so it's more just about getting a good quality small ground to cater for Waterfords needs. It would be maddness to have the county ground anywhere but in the city where you have the counties two biggest towns within a few miles of it. I would imagine you would be getting much smaller attendances if all games were in Dungarvan.

redlead wrote: »
    We aren't going to get any neutral games anyway so it's more just about getting a good quality small ground to cater for Waterfords needs. It would be maddness to have the county ground anywhere but in the city where you have the counties two biggest towns within a few miles of it. I would imagine you would be getting much smaller attendances if all games were in Dungarvan.

Counties 2 biggest towns? If you mean Tramore Yea lets accommodate that mighty GAA stronghold by making sure its within close proximity to our main stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

Scrap the two of them and build something new in Kilmacthomas proper parking and facilities fit for the purpose run buses from city and west Waterford on big match days 20 - 30 k capacity max with training grounds available for all inter county, club, and school teams. Too progressive??

TGV wrote: »
    Scrap the two of them and build something new in Kilmacthomas proper parking and facilities fit for the purpose run buses from city and west Waterford on big match days 20 - 30 k capacity max with training grounds available for all inter county, club, and school teams. Too progressive??

I still beleive carriganore is the best way to go as having a proper gaa stadium and facility in the county. Its convenience and accesibilty is better not just within the county but to other counties aswell. Its hosted some colleges games in the past few months involving teams from outside the county. Not a hope would these games have been brought to Walsh Park had carriganore not been available. WP is an old stadium in an old area of the city. Time to build for future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Picasso100

Redevelop Fraher
    Better parking with plenty land around to make more.
    Middle of the county
    Better pitch
    Nicest hotel in the county next door

That Walsh Park is possibly the most depressing place in the world outside Siberia.

TGV wrote: »

Worst idea ever. I've been on match day buses ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Are the minor hurlers/footballers out soon? Any news about a panel for both

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement