Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meath GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Graham Geraghty appeared on The Afternoon Show yesterday to promote some app or other and I have to say he seems to have matured a lot and was very comfortable talking on camera. He's thrown himself into coaching over the last number of years, with clubs and college and you suspect still harbours ambitions of managing Meath at some stage soon.

Would be fascinating to see how we would have fared with himself and Evans at the helm. That ship has sailed but with the right trainer and S&C crew on board he could do something with Meath. What do people think?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Assuming Gillespie is out injured. How are some of our other players doing?
    How long is our injury list currently?
    I think, touch wood, our injury list is not too bad. Supposedly Gillespie's injury isn't too serious. Obviously, Cillian O'Sullivan is out long term but Tormey scored 1-5 against O'Mahony's two weeks ago, McEntee played well for Curraha and Rooney came on for Skryne.
    Jampip wrote: »
    Whatever about Down, Monaghan have moved to a level way above Meath. Successive promotions have really aided their development, not to mention an Ulster win.

I think therein lies part of the problem with Meath football. Its not the 90s or early noughties lads. Times are changing and Meath haven't the footballers.

Like those above have said though, it's about hard work at underage level but when was even the last time Meath had any decent success? Given your population, Meath should be faring alot better than they are. You've 100k more people than my own county Cavan.
    With regards to population, you have to realise that, in towns near the Dublin border especially, a huge amount of kids are brought up as Dubs and have no interest in ever playing for Meath. The Dublin minor team that won Leinster last season had two ex Ratoath players on it. Mick Deegan plays for Don/Ash but plays for Dublin also. It's obviously not the main problem, but it is definitely an issue for us.

With regards to coaching, I think there's also a big problem in the county in losing good players to other sports simply because the players are treated better in other sports.
    A relative plays with one of the Meath development squads. He also plays soccer at a high enough level and many other squad members play other sports (rugby, athletics etc.) at high levels too. But they're often punished for missing pre/post season training by competing in their other sport when it's in the middle of their season. Also, while playing soccer, he goes on training camps abroad while with Meath he doesn't even get to keep a numbered jersey at the end of the season. When these talented players reach 18 and will have to choose which sport they would rather concentrate on, they're not going to pick GAA.
    HighKing33 wrote: »
    Graham Geraghty appeared on The Afternoon Show yesterday to promote some app or other and I have to say he seems to have matured a lot and was very comfortable talking on camera. He's thrown himself into coaching over the last number of years, with clubs and college and you suspect still harbours ambitions of managing Meath at some stage soon.

Would be fascinating to see how we would have fared with himself and Evans at the helm. That ship has sailed but with the right trainer and S&C crew on board he could do something with Meath. What do people think?
    A few years back I would have disagreed, but he does seem to have greatly matured alright. I thought before he would have been a "Paulo Di Canio" type manager but I would like to see him tried in the future.

Hurlers hammered Wicklow in the first round of the Christy Ring Cup 1-21 to 1-5. Impressive scoreline against a team we've struggled against in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Our first win over Wicklow in the CR since the competition began. Who would you all rather in round 2A? I'd say Derry would be the most favorable draw.

Hard to know who would be easiest. Obviously Kerry are to be avoided but a lot will depend on if we get the game in Trim or not.
    How many CR semi finals have we made in total without winning a single one?

• Advertisement

Hard to know who would be easiest. Obviously Kerry are to be avoided but a lot will depend on if we get the game in Trim or not.
    How many CR semi finals have we made in total without winning a single one?
    And who do you think we got? Kerry away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Decent enough challenge match in Stamullen today, Biggy Reilly undoubtedly the star of the show with two goals and i reckon at least six or seven of the points. Paddy O'Rourke didn't tog out today at all, the teams were totally changed from the programme so it's hard to give the team off the top of my head here. Eamonn Wallace looked sharp and Harry Rooney was in midfield and had a good game. Conor McGill is growing on me as a full back too. It's hard to judge on challenge matches though as usual where teams are at. Finished 2.13 to 1.12 to Meath.

Any other Ratoath players play rpurfield? I noticed that none of the county players were playing in Ratoath's league game.

Conor McGill really has grown immensely as a player in the last 4 or 5 months. The guy just reads the game incredibly well for such a young player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Any other Ratoath players play rpurfield? I noticed that none of the county players were playing in Ratoath's league game.

Conor McGill really has grown immensely as a player in the last 4 or 5 months. The guy just reads the game incredibly well for such a young player.

Bryan McMahon played he showed fairly well, I didn't realise till I got home and seen a match report on Hoganstand that he played, there were lots of changes lads that weren't even listed etc. He started in the corner, which is probably more the place for him than at centre half forward. Here's the team and subs copied off Hoganstand
    Conor McHugh, Simon Carty, Conor McGill, James McEntee, Nicky Judge, Ciaran McConnell, Brian Power, Harry Rooney, Sean Tobin, Graham Reilly, Damien Carroll, Andy Tormey, Eamonn Wallace, Shane O'Rourke, Bryan McMahon. Subs: Adam Flanagan, David Dalton, Donncha Tobin, Donal Keogan, Bryan Menton, Paraic Harnan, Donal Landy.

If you look at the new breed of Meath footballer (including perhaps Cillian O'Sullivan and Alan Forde), they're small, quick and skillfull which is why I'm fairly concerned regarding O'Dowd's system which is very much a running game where you're going into the tackle and taking big hits. This is the number one reason why the Ratoath lads flopped at half-forward in the league this year.

If we went back to basics, stuck a playmaker at 11 with the two lads in the corners and a target-man at 14 I think we'd prosper greatly but it's hard to see us changing systems this late, especially with Dublin waiting in a likely Leinster final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

I think it's important to realize that no matter who the manager is or the players he picks, there will always be people who think they know better.

But in reply to the above, surely if you're going by size, the debutantes this season, e.g. Conor McGill, Brian Power, Ciaran McConnell, Adam Flanagan and Harry Rooney are anything but small.

It's a lazy generalization to say Meath play a running game. I was at 5 League games this year and would not agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

it's a lazy generalization to say Meath play a running game. I was at 5 League games this year and would not agree with that.

Well i was at all of them and i dont remember many long balls pumped into the full forward line, except for the westmeath game in navan when they decided to go 2 v 2 on Bray and Newman and we got the goals from it, and Paddy o'rourke kicked a few long passes out of his hands to in a few games.

I did however notice in alot of the games, the half forwards been pulled back into the defence during games and trying to break by running and hand passing, which looked very much like a running game to me

Well i was at all of them and i dont remember many long balls pumped into the full forward line, except for the westmeath game in navan when they decided to go 2 v 2 on Bray and Newman and we got the goals from it, and Paddy o'rourke kicked a few long passes out of his hands to in a few games.

I did however notice in alot of the games, the half forwards been pulled back into the defence during games and trying to break by running and hand passing, which looked very much like a running game to me

Running game as opposed to what other kind of games? If I can follow the logic here, there are types of game, running and kicking? I could be interpreting you guys wrong but that's the impression I get. I couldn't say Meath fit easily into either category and to be honest, I don't agree with trying to put a label on them. There were several instances of the ball being kicked into the forwards in the League as they were instances of ball-carrying and creating overlaps.

When you pull the half-forwards back into defence as Meath have, there's no-one to kick to especially when the opposition team is keeping a plus one defender or in Cavan's case plus two defenders.

I can't see much difference in the way Meath play compared to the big teams other than that the better teams are better at it.

Don't think a target man should be used as plan A. This tactic is far too easy to defend against unless the opposition is completely tactically naive like Westmeath. Obviously it can be an option but I think the days of lumping balls into the full forward being the main tactic are gone.

Running game as opposed to what other kind of games? If I can follow the logic here, there are types of game, running and kicking? I could be interpreting you guys wrong but that's the impression I get. I couldn't say Meath fit easily into either category and to be honest, I don't agree with trying to put a label on them. There were several instances of the ball being kicked into the forwards in the League as they were instances of ball-carrying and creating overlaps.

When you pull the half-forwards back into defence as Meath have, there's no-one to kick to especially when the opposition team is keeping a plus one defender or in Cavan's case plus two defenders.

I can't see much difference in the way Meath play compared to the big teams other than that the better teams are better at it.

You said it was a lazy generalization to say we are a run based team, and i'm saying its what we do the majority of the time, iv'e no problem with it if we do it well, but from what iv'e seen, we don't, we are to slow and it gives teams time to get back in defense, as we seem to struggle to get up the field quick enough, and then if we do kick it whoever is left up field is totally isolated.

I agree hammer, the days of launching it in to a target man is practically gone, but as Kerry with Donaghy, Donegal with Murphy prove, if you can isolate a back with a big man in there, it works, and we dont do enough of it. we dont give the opposition something else to think about.

It is lazy to put a label like that on a team. Every game situation is different. Saying Meath are a running team implies that they are coached to run with the ball every time they get it. I definitely don't think this is the case.

I would say part of the reason Meath are carrying the ball a bit more is down to an improvement in power and sprinting ability. I'm happy to see Meath improving here as they have fallen a bit behind. Also probably down to the opposition. Teams like Cavan, Laois, Galway and Kildare did not make it easy for Meath in the League because they keep an extra defender back which is obviously going to restrict the kicker out the field.

It is lazy to put a label like that on a team. Every game situation is different. Saying Meath are a running team implies that they are coached to run with the ball every time they get it. I definitely don't think this is the case.

I would say part of the reason Meath are carrying the ball a bit more is down to an improvement in power and sprinting ability. I'm happy to see Meath improving here as they have fallen a bit behind. Also probably down to the opposition. Teams like Cavan, Laois, Galway and Kildare did not make it easy for Meath in the League because they keep an extra defender back which is obviously going to restrict the kicker out the field.

Ok then i suppose we'll agree to disagree, i think if you bring half forwards back to defense, then Break, Run and Hand pass it out alot more then kick pass, then i think its fair to say thats a run game, and like i said there is nothing wrong with that, if you do it well, and its working, i dont see the improvement you see in sprinting or power and i see very little improvement in general to last year (or especially the 1st year of the management set up), and some might say this league campaign was easier to last or next year.

In saying that we should still be good enough to get to the leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Very tough draw in the Christy Ring getting Kerry. Do they get a second chance if they lose?

Don't think a target man should be used as plan A. This tactic is far too easy to defend against unless the opposition is completely tactically naive like Westmeath. Obviously it can be an option but I think the days of lumping balls into the full forward being the main tactic are gone.

Tell that to Jim Gavin or Eamonn Fitzmaurice, also worth noting that it was Michael Murphy's stint at full-forward that undid Mayo.

Of course there's a difference between 'lumping' a ball in and playing the kind of ball that Trevor Giles and Tomas O'Se would hit but we're still talking about the long-ball here and if O'Rourke remains at 14 come championship then I think we'll see a shift in tactics - crazy, considering how we played right through the league but O'Dowd has nothing to lose at this point.

iDave wrote: »
    Very tough draw in the Christy Ring getting Kerry. Do they get a second chance if they lose?
    Yup, if we lose to Kerry we play one of the winners of the first round losers round (Wicklow/Down or Mayo/Kildare/London).
    Tell that to Jim Gavin or Eamonn Fitzmaurice, also worth noting that it was Michael Murphy's stint at full-forward that undid Mayo.

Of course there's a difference between 'lumping' a ball in and playing the kind of ball that Trevor Giles and Tomas O'Se would hit but we're still talking about the long-ball here and if O'Rourke remains at 14 come championship then I think we'll see a shift in tactics - crazy, considering how we played right through the league but O'Dowd has nothing to lose at this point.
    With all due respect, none of our players are anywhere close to the level of the likes of Murphy or Donaghy. In the Down game, Shane was played at 14 in the first half and could hardly hold onto a ball. Bray at 14 works well and he can win some very good ball played in front of him but I can't see that tactic working well for us most of the time.

• Advertisement

Minors play Louth in the Leinster MFC Quarter Final on Saturday week.
    They beat Kildare in the first round so they won't be pushovers.

Yup, if we lose to Kerry we play one of the winners of the first round losers round (Wicklow/Down or Mayo/Kildare/London).

With all due respect, none of our players are anywhere close to the level of the likes of Murphy or Donaghy. In the Down game, Shane was played at 14 in the first half and could hardly hold onto a ball. Bray at 14 works well and he can win some very good ball played in front of him but I can't see that tactic working well for us most of the time.

Shane was back from injury, playing at full-forward for the first time in years. He could be a superb target-man if we used him right. Newman and both Brays are very good under the high-ball. Of course it all depends on the quality of the ball in.

If our forwards are really that bad we may as well give up right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Shane was back from injury, playing at full-forward for the first time in years. He could be a superb target-man if we used him right. Newman and both Brays are very good under the high-ball. Of course it all depends on the quality of the ball in.

If our forwards are really that bad we may as well give up right now.

I think our forwards are quite good, Reilly and Tormey have plenty of scores in them while Harnan has improved quite a bit since moving to 11, Carroll is also a good option here and O'Rourke can fill those shoes aswell if need be.

Also I think our FF line has the ability to cause plenty of damage, E Wallace, S Bray and Newman are forwards that no team will enjoy facing. Again we have other decent options up there aswell, such as O'Rourke at FF (who I agree could be a an excellent target man) and we also have a few others that can fit into the line if called upon such as M O'Sullivan, D Bray, McMahon, McDonagh, J Wallace. Ok some of these lads aren't as good as the starters but they can push them for their place which I also think is very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Hurlers leading 1.13 to 1.9 at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Final score Kerry 1.23 Meath 2.18. Would always be tough to hold on. Seemed like an encouraging performance though.

2 point defeat away to a Division 1 team ain't too shabby.
    Think we'll be against either Down or probably Kildare for a place in the semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Meath play Cavan in Virginia tomorrow evening at 18.30.

Cavan won this evening's challenge 2-14 to 1-8. Meath were 1-6 to 6 up at half time. Jamie Queeney got the goal. Not sure of the Meath team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Cavan won this evening's challenge 2-14 to 1-8. Meath were 1-6 to 6 up at half time. Jamie Queeney got the goal. Not sure of the Meath team.

Are any of us ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

From Hoganstand

Meath: Conor McHugh, James McEntee, Donncha Tobin, Davy Dalton, Darragh Smith, Sean Power, Nicky Judge, Sean Tobin, Adam Flanagan, Andy Tormey, Padraic Harnan, Damien Carroll, Bryan McMahon, Jamie Queeney, Eamon Wallace.
    Subs: David Bray, Joey Wallace, Graham Reilly, Conor Downey, Padhraig Geraghty, Jonathan Lynch, Michael Flood.

Advertisement