Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Derek Mooney Show *MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Jaysus ,I think so, once one doesn't identify anyone in particular.

Like ...make a statement like... like calling out some geezer 'coming the auld soldier'

:eek: Surely you know what that means:cool:

Indeed an' I do, though I know none personally. And for the 'geezer' I recall Spike Milligan's Wormwood Scrubs Tango.

Hugo Brady Brown :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hugo is the King of the Travellers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Indeed an' I do, though I know none personally. And for the 'geezer' I recall Spike Milligan's Wormwood Scrubs Tango.

'Coming the old soldier' 'Ugo is what I was referring to.

I'll save you the trouble.

'trying to come across as somebody who tries to appear dimmer than they actually are'

good man, you don't fool the lads in here.;)

Indeed an' I do, though I know none personally. And for the 'geezer' I recall Spike Milligan's 'Wormwood Scrubs Tango'.

'Coming the old soldier' 'Ugo is what I was referring to.

I'll save you the trouble.

'trying to come across as somebody who tries to appear dimmer than they actually are'

good man, you don't fool the lads in here.;)

Thank you FlutterinBantam, but I am neither so dull of wit nor so callow or inexperienced not to know the various different constructions put on that antiquated phrase, including the one you have plumped for (the 'don't come the raw prawn' variant that sometimes rang in my ears in Australia) ;). I rather thought my previous post had made that clear, but I shall increase the wattage in future posts, if any. :)

On the debit side, I am troubled that I seem to have to spend 15% of my time on Boards explaining that what I meant was what I wrote, and not something else. As a 'cainteoir dúchais‎' of the English tongue, I had felt I was being reasonably clear at all times. :(

With the dimmer switch now at full pelt,

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

On the debit side, I am troubled that I seem to have to spend 15% of my time on Boards explaining that what I meant was what I wrote, and not something else.

So are we to take it that you really meant this?:
    . And who can ever forget him with Richard the swan man, and Éanna the naturist on those earnest programmes of long ago:

Éanna the naturist...hmmm:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Was anyone else listening to today's quiz on Mooney? What a mess - it's the kind of thing that wouldn't look out of place on community radio. As usual, Mooney spends most of the time wittering on about nothing, and then tries to rush the quiz into the last 5 minutes of the show. :rolleyes:

They should bring back Rattlebag (even if it did have the insufferable Myles Dungan presenting) and dump this rubbish for once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Was anyone else listening to today's quiz on Mooney? What a mess - it's the kind of thing that wouldn't look out of place on community radio. As usual, Mooney spends most of the time wittering on about nothing, and then tries to rush the quiz into the last 5 minutes of the show.

I heard the last half hour. Only one word can describe it. Unprofessional.

Was anyone else listening to today's quiz on Mooney? What a mess - it's the kind of thing that wouldn't look out of place on community radio. As usual, Mooney spends most of the time wittering on about nothing, and then tries to rush the quiz into the last 5 minutes of the show. :rolleyes:

They should bring back Rattlebag (even if it did have the insufferable Myles Dungan presenting) and dump this rubbish for once and for all.

Sorry to have to come back on a side-swipe made by a previous poster, but how can anyone claim that Myles is 'insufferable'? I find it hard to think of anyone, perhaps since the days of Paddy Gallagher, who could empathise so intelligently with a writer (in particular), as Myles could. He is, clearly, from the top drawer intellectually and artistically, but he is also well capable of acting as a mediator, an interpreter for ordinary people of the sometimes rather highflown discourse of artists and writers. I think it is because he is a writer himself that he has brought these soft or feminine skills (or 'emotional intelligence' competencies) to such a high pitch of development. We need him back on air.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Isn't Myles off in California being the 'Academic's Academic' or perhaps 'The People's Academic'?
    Hasn't he left us his nephew, Philip Boucher-Hayes, as his representative on Earth?

Probably saw the writing on the wall for his style of broadcasting when he heard Mooney going on about the many Civil Partnership ceremonies he's had to attend.
    Incidentally, I have a friend who enjoys playing a game whenever she hears Mooney recounting a same sex Civil Partnership story or indeed any LGBT issue. She will text the programme assuming a man's name declaring the issue at hand to be 'sick' or 'unnatural' and give him a bit religious guff for good measure.
    She assures me she is neither religious nor a homophobe but enjoys Mooney's hysterics and outrage at any such condemnation.
    Three times she's tried it and three times he's lost the rag.
    Could become an afternoon drinking game!

Isn't Myles off in California being the 'Academic's Academic' or perhaps 'The People's Academic'?
    Hasn't he left us his nephew, Philip Boucher-Hayes, as his representative on Earth?

Probably saw the writing on the wall for his style of broadcasting when he heard Mooney going on about the many Civil Partnership ceremonies he's had to attend.
    Incidentally, I have a friend who enjoys playing a game whenever she hears Mooney recounting a same sex Civil Partnership story or indeed any LGBT issue. She will text the programme assuming a man's name declaring the issue at hand to be 'sick' or 'unnatural' and give him a bit religious guff for good measure.
    She assures me she is neither religious nor a homophobe but enjoys Mooney's hysterics and outrage at any such condemnation.
    Three times she's tried it and three times and three times he's lost the rag.
    Could become an afternoon drinking game!

Why would Derek have to attend so many Civil Partnership ceremonies? Surely they could be scheduled for the mornings, in order not to clash with TX time? Why would he be required to go? Does he have some civil function to perform? Is he a part-time Registrar?

Yes, I know Myles is away; we can all feel it. But I know he will return, replenished and rejuvenated intellectually; we have endured something similar in the past, when Andy O'Mahoney decamped to Harvard for a few years.

It will, perhaps, lighten the atmosphere here when readers tumble to the conclusion that it's all but certain that Derek, too, will, when he's older, also pursue a doctoral course in Yale or somewhere like that.

The idea of provoking an innocent broadcaster under the stress of live radio conditions seems somewhat juvenile, I think we will all agree. I don't understand, though, why Derek would get hot under the collar. It occurs to me that since I have never heard him in such a state, it may be simply a matter of perception on the part of a few listeners.

And what, by the way, means the reference to Phillip?

Hugo Brady Brown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Why would Derek have to attend so many Civil Partnership ceremonies? Surely they could be scheduled for the mornings, in order not to clash with TX time? Why would he be required to go? Does he have some civil function to perform? Is he a part-time Registrar?

Yes, I know Myles is away; we can all feel it. But I know he will return, replenished and rejuvenated intellectually; we have endured something similar in the past, when Andy O'Mahoney decamped to Harvard for a few years.

It will, perhaps, lighten the atmosphere here when readers tumble to the conclusion that it's all but certain that Derek, too, will, when he's older, also pursue a doctoral course in Yale or somewhere like that.

The idea of provoking an innocent broadcaster under the stress of live radio conditions seems somewhat juvenile, I think we will all agree. I don't understand, though, why Derek would get hot under the collar. It occurs to me that since I have never heard him in such a state, it may be simply a matter of perception on the part of a few listeners.

Hugo Brady Brown

Paddy Gallagher!!!

The geezer with the bottle-end glasses?

WTF:confused:

Sorry to have to come back on a side-swipe made by a previous poster, but how can anyone claim that Myles is 'insufferable'? I find it hard to think of anyone, perhaps since the days of Paddy Gallagher, who could empathise so intelligently with a writer (in particular), as Myles could. He is, clearly, from the top drawer intellectually and artistically, but he is also well capable of acting as a mediator, an interpreter for ordinary people of the sometimes rather highflown discourse of artists and writers. I think it is because he is a writer himself that he has brought these soft or feminine skills (or 'emotional intelligence' competencies) to such a high pitch of development. We need him back on air.

Hugo Brady Brown

Hugo, I take it you listened to The Pat Kenny Show when Myles Dungan was filling in for him during the summer? In my opinion, the man is an insufferable bore and full of his own self-importance. I tolerated him on Rattlebag but I far preferred the musings of Mike Murphy on its previous incarnation as The Arts Show. Mike Murphy was an avuncular figure who made the arts more accessible to a wider appreciative audience, and someone who didn't talk down to people. I always felt that Dungan's presentation style on Rattlebag was somewhat akin to being sat in a lecture theatre - and not in a good way.

Hugo, I take it you listened to The Pat Kenny Show when Myles Dungan was filling in for him during the summer? In my opinion, the man is an insufferable bore and full of his own self-importance. I tolerated him on Rattlebag but I far preferred the musings of Mike Murphy on its previous incarnation as The Arts Show. Mike Murphy was an avuncular figure who made the arts more accessible to a wider appreciative audience, and someone who didn't talk down to people. I always felt that Dungan's presentation style on Rattlebag was somewhat akin to being sat in a lecture theatre - and not in a good way.

What Harry says interests me, and I cannot and would not try to dissuade a person from holding an opinion based their own inwardly arising feelings about a broadcaster. We cannot expect to like everyone, and so, in the rather intense experience of listening to a broadcaster, if someone is not to our taste, we may find them hard to bear. Objectively there may be nothing wrong with the broadcaster; there may be simply a mismatch with our own taste or temperament.

I agree about Mike Murphy on the Arts programme. It was a considerable surprise to me that he was such a good arts journalist and presenter; I had, as had everyone else in the land, thought that his morning show in the 1980's was really first-class use of the medium, incorporating music, running gags, news and his own brand of both absurdist and commonsensical humour. (In this he was like a forerunner of the succès d'estime that is Marty Whelan's show Marty in the Morning on RTE Lyric FM.) On his arts show he showed an unexpected side, and that most particularly, in my view, in his ability to deal in an audio medium with visual art. His unwillingness to be taken in by arrant nonsense from artists was one of the most refreshing aspects of that programme. That and, as Harry says, his ability to connect with the audience. Who would have expected 45 minutes of afternoon arts programming to be such a success, in the day when time-shifting of radio listening was not a practical proposition for listeners.

We must agree to disagree in relation to Myles; I will continue to see him as that rare beast, the intellectual radio presenter who can bring any subject down to earth. (I didn't listen to the Pat Kenny Show in the summer, so I can't comment on that; at the best of times, even when Pat himself is presenting, I find it one of the least alluring programmes on RTE 1. I accept that the fault is probably mine.)

Hugo Brady Brown

Paddy Gallagher!!!

The geezer with the bottle-end glasses?

WTF:confused:

Yes, Paddy wore strong lenses in his spectacles, presumably through no chocie of his own, but as a result of a combination of a naturally-occurring condition and the rudimentary optician trade in Dublin in the 1980's. However, if a person is to be ridiculed for wearing corrective lenses, we may need to coin a new "-ism" ('spectacle-ism', perhaps), in order to avail of statutory rights to protection.

His programme (presented also by a young Caroline Erskine, by the rugby commentator Tom McGurk and, if I am not mistaken, by the young lady intellectual Doireann Ní Bhriain) was Folio, sometimes flagged as Folio: The Book Programme. Who who saw it will ever forget his discussion of the late Maurice Craig's tome Classic Irish Houses of the Middle Size, or his inerview of a young novelist, Neil Jordan, when his new work The Dream of a Beast had been published? In the crucible of the studio, ideas were ignited and illuminating sparks flew in the air.

It was a landmark piece of broadcasting, and something like deserves to be on RTE again, on television and on radio, and on both RTE Radio 1 and on 2FM, in order to reach all demographic groups with this important strand of thinking and broadcasting comment.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

The idea of provoking an innocent broadcaster under the stress of live radio conditions seems somewhat juvenile

Indeed it does, Hugo, especially on the question of same sex partnerships.
    It occurs to me that since I have never heard him in such a state, it may be simply a matter of perception on the part of a few listeners

Well, I have heard him once having a micky-fit with a listener condeming him for the airing of a certain LGBT related subject and he certainly got hot under the collar.
    I just think it's nice to know that even though Myles Dungan is away at present on some funded jaunt through academia, we have a close relative of his on air at RTE, so he is with us in spirit.

Over the years, RTE staff and management have been very generous in this regard. They bring in their relatives into various jobs at Montrose, so that continuity can be maintained. Always thinking of the ordinary punter, they are. God bless 'em.

Of course, Phillip being the talented broadcaster and journalist that he is made it on his own steam in to the upper echelons of Irish public broadcasting and I don't suggest otherwise.

Over the years, RTE staff and management have been very generous in this regard. They bring in their relatives into various jobs at Montrose, so that continuity can be maintained. Always thinking of the ordinary punter, they are. God bless 'em.

Speaking of which, I happened to catch a snippet of The Daily Show yesterday and saw that Lottie Ryan is their "showbiz" reporter. I wonder how she got that job? :rolleyes:

PS I have also heard Derek Mooney getting hot under the collar with those texts as well. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

He also gets very wound up when someone pulls him up on something he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

y O'Mahoney decamped to Harvard for a few years.

A degree in modern history of the Eurovision song contest perhaps or a masters in the works of Rodgers and Hammerstein?

Wertz wrote: »
    A degree in modern history of the Eurovision song contest perhaps or a masters in the works of Rodgers and Hammerstein?

And what, as all reasonable people will agree, could be wrong with that? Doctoral theses have been written about Coronation Street, The Riordans, the music of John Barry, the work of Bobby Darin, the list goes ever on - all very fine, and contributing in their small way to the joy & gaiety of the world.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

And what, as all reasonable people will agree, could be wrong with that? Doctoral theses have been written about Coronation Street, The Riordans, the music of John Barry, the work of Bobby Darin, the list goes ever on - all very fine, and contributing in their small way to the joy & gaiety of the world.

Hugo Brady Brown

Off you go, Hugo. Don't bother us until you've finished, thanks.

• Advertisement

I doubt he has it in him Hugo to be honest...certainly doesn't strike me as the intellectual heavyweight title you seem to think himself and half of the rest of them out in RTÉland are deserving of... particularly given how he comes across during his daily 90 minutes.

Yale lol
    ....as for the subjects in question they were a dig at his taste in camp topics, and I don't doubt that at least the R&H topic has been tackled before.

I doubt he has it in him Hugo to be honest...certainly doesn't strike me as the intellectual heavyweight title you seem to think himself and half of the rest of them out in RTÉland are deserving of... particularly given how he comes across during his daily 90 minutes.

Yale lol
    ....as for the subjects in question they were a dig at his taste in camp topics, and I don't doubt that at least the R&H topic has been tackled before.

You see, Wertz, people can be taken in. Just because someone is camp or a camp idol does not necessarily mean that she or he is an airhead. The leading case on this point is the encounter between our camp idol and the notorious feminist intellectual and self-promoter, Miss Germaine Greer, who came a-cropper when she thought that she had some little disco bunny in the lovely Daniel O'Donnell. Under the penetrating gaze of Miriam on RTE back in June '06, he blew her intellectual pretensions out of the water and showed that, camp or no camp, he was the real intellectual contender. Miss Greer was knocked clean off her perch and hasn't been the same since. One senses, indeed, that The Female Eunuch has finally gone home to roost, wings singed, fading feathers badly awry and the empty crowing now much muted.

So too with some of the other talent on RTE and elsewhere: it takes a lot of intelligence to be able to communicate sincerely with the full range of the audience. Derek is no airhead; what he is is a professional, an intelligent professional, and also, I understand from those who have had the pleasure of meeting him in private life, one of the most sincere, decent and lovely men anyone could hope to meet. No wonder every sensitive mother in the country wants to bring him home to cosset him!

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Derek is no airhead; what he is is a professional,

Hugo Brady Brown
    No professional would get so riled up when they are pulled up on something they said.

I cannot remember exact incidences but I recall occasions where when something he said was questioned by a listener he got his heckles up, and became quite boisterous over the matter

Slidey wrote: »
    No professional would get so riled up when they are pulled up on something they said.

I cannot remember exact incidences but I recall occasions where when something he said was questioned by a listener he got his heckles up, and became quite boisterous over the matter

One man's boisterousness is another man's heated debate. (Let us recall that parody interview show Mrs Merton, presented by the boisterous Alan Partridge some years ago; "what first attracted you to short, balding millionaire Paul Daniels?" This attracted no criticism, of course, yet led to heated debate.) Derek's is a persona, an actorly fabrication, created to give life, vim and vigour to radio in a dead time. The fact that he might appear to stiffen when challenged is, I would suggest, just part of the schtick he has chosen to adopt for this purpose. In another context, I'm sure, he could be as gentle and laid-back as, say, John Bowman.

Hugo Brady Brown

Fair point on campness != less intellectual ability... I can think of numerous examples myself.
    However my opinion of Mooney is of a lightweight in the grey matter department... and that's fine; you don't need a big brain or an academic qualification to be a radio host or to be some sort of more worthy citizen.
    You were the one that raised the possibility of Derek attending an Ivy league school and that it would somehow feed back into hhis hosting abilities in the future... hardly likely and I can only think you were being slightly facetious in your suggestion.

I don't see much of that latent professorial talent emergent in the general pizazz of the show.... if it's a dead time then filling it with the mundane stuff that populates prime time telly or the showbiz gossip columns is a lazy way to try and enliven it...
    But hey, outside my demographic and I hastily switch over when he springs toward the mic, so whatever floats your boat...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

One man's boisterousness is another man's heated debate. (Let us recall that parody interview show Mrs Merton, presented by the boisterous Mrs Merton Alan Partridge some years ago; "what first attracted you to short, balding millionaire Paul Daniels?" This attracted no criticism, of course, yet led to heated debate.) Derek's is a persona, an actorly fabrication, created to give life, vim and vigour to radio in a dead time. The fact that he might appear to stiffen when challenged is, I would suggest, just part of the schtick he has chosen to adopt for this purpose. In another context, I'm sure, he could be as gentle and laid-back as, say, John Bowman.

Hugo Brady Brown
    Debbie McGee was a guest on The Mrs Merton Show when she was famously asked, "So, what first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Fair point on campness != less intellectual ability... I can think of numerous examples myself.
    However my opinion of Mooney is of a lightweight in the grey matter department... and that's fine; you don't need a big brain or an academic qualification to be a radio host or to be some sort of more worthy citizen.
    You were the one that raised the possibility of Derek attending an Ivy league school and that it would somehow feed back into hhis hosting abilities in the future... hardly likely and I can only think you were being slightly facetious in your suggestion.

I don't see much of that latent professorial talent emergent in the general pizazz of the show.... if it's a dead time then filling it with the mundane stuff that populates prime time telly or the showbiz gossip columns is a lazy way to try and enliven it...
    But hey, outside my demographic and I hastily switch over when he springs toward the mic, so whatever floats your boat...

I agree, Wertz, about much of what you say, but, as to cerebral matters, we may be forgetting Derek's background as a scientist, perhaps the highest pinnacle of intellectual achievement available to man. He toiled in the galleys of nature programmes for donkeys' years, being frequently out of his bed in the small hours (when a man with a normal life would have been birdwatching in Leeson Street) to rejoice (or pretend to rejoice, which is the same thing in radio) in the glory of the so-called 'Dawn Chorus' (a most overrated phenomenon, in my own view, and one invented by 'townies'). But, in the spirit of scientific enquiry, he pursued this, and rubbed shoulders with some of the most colorful eccentrics, obsessives and cranks the length and breadth of the land. He also engaged with children, always more easily impressed by creepy-crawlies than the rest of us. But in doing this, in working his shift at night or in the early hours of the morning, he demonstrated his keen scientific acumen, while also honing his presentational skills, skills that are transferrable into all other parts of the schedule here.

When the time comes, he may take on a real programme, and he is as likely to do well with it as the next man. And if he chooses to cross the pond, to add to his diplomas and paper qualifications (for what that's worth at the best of times), so much the better for him, as well as for us. We should wish a young and vigorous man the very best, and hope he continues to smile at us out of the Bush or the Roberts or whatever.

Baaaaaiiiiiyyyyeeeeeeeeee! :)

Hugo Brady Brown

dvcireland wrote: »
    Debbie McGee was a guest on The Mrs Merton Show when she was famously asked, "So, what first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"

I acknowledge that I may have erred uncharacteristically on a small matter of detail, but the memory is an unreliable animal. In any case, I caught her drift, and really only the pettifogging worry about accuracy on matters of no moment!:)

And if she didn't say it like that, she should have.

Hugo Brady Brown

BTW, is there any online video of Daniel trouncing that Miss Greer?

Hugo Brady Brown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Is there any of the male guests that Brek doesnt want to ride??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement