Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bringing car to UK

• 26-08-2008 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I moved from Ireland to London 2 years ago, and my nice Toyota MR2 has been sitting unused at my mums house in ever since. So I'm considering bringing it over to London for the long term.
    Does anyone know what I need to do with registration etc ?
    How do I register it in the UK?
    Do I have to pay any nasty fees?
    I presume I will need to do the UK MOT ?

If anyone has done this before any details would be great help. I don't know where to start !:(

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

There is a nice bit of info here you pay £55 registration fee (unlike the VRT thievery in ROI). You then get it MOT'd or in some cases you get it done before getting it registered. Is the car an Irish Original? or was it imported into the Republic of Ireland from the UK previously? if it was you should be able to get it back on the old UK plates I'd imagine. Enjoy motoring in a country that dosen't tax the bejasus out of you like here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They actually pay a premium over us for fuel. Admittedly VRT sucks however.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dogbytes

mumhaabu wrote: »
    There is a nice bit of info here you pay £55 registration fee (unlike the VRT thievery in ROI). You then get it MOT'd or in some cases you get it done before getting it registered. Is the car an Irish Original? or was it imported into the Republic of Ireland from the UK previously? if it was you should be able to get it back on the old UK plates I'd imagine. Enjoy motoring in a country that dosen't tax the bejasus out of you like here.

thanks mumhaabu, that doesn't sound too bad. The car was a Japanese import, so I will need to get a new UK reg for it alright.
    I'll also need to work out how the insurance works in the interim... I presume my current Irish insurers will insure it while I bring it over and wait for the UK reg ? Then I open a new policy with a UK insurer after I get the new reg ?

Because it's a japanese import, the speedometer is km/h- great for Ireland. But UK still require it to read in both miles and km/h, so I will need to get that replaced. Not sure how tricky a job that will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It will probably have to go through an SVA test because it's a Japanese import. Other than that, have you considered keeping the Irish reg on it over there, congstion charges and all that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭yaeger

Hi Guys

On a similiar note, I lived in Uk for awhile and imported a car into Ireland, As I was VRT exempt I must keep the car a year before selling it on. However If I could trade it in over in the UK I would be delighted, So Can anyone tell me whats involved in that process...costly?

As it is now its on Irish plates but i still have the old UK plates sitting in the boot and it was bought in the UK brand new, Would love to bring it back and trade over there compared to here ,, CAN I ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement