Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Honda Accord info

Options
  • 25-08-2008 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of buying a 2000-2003 honda accord but know little about them, and unsure which to choose

can anyone tell me the spec for the

1.8vtec, SE. EXE & the 2 lt vtecs etc
    BHP
    MPG
    issues etc ?

i thought of these as they are suppoesed to be uber reliable, comfy, sporty, v wwell speced out & pretty cheap:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Notch000 wrote: »
    Im thinking of buying a 2000-2003 honda accord but know little about them, and unsure which to choose

can anyone tell me the spec for the

1.8vtec & the 2 lt vtec
    BHP
    MPG
    issues etc ?

i thought of these as they are suppoesed to be uber reliable, comfy, sporty, v wwell speced out & pretty cheap:)

I have a 2000 SE Executive 1.8 VTEC, all leather interior, heated, electrically adjustable seats, factory tinted glass, cruise control can't think of an extra it doesn't have with the exception of Sat Nav, which seemingly you're better off without - as wasn't the best ever with associated poor comparisons to more modern units etc.

Engine Size 1850 cc
    Cylinders 4
    0-60 mph 11.0 s
    Power Output 134 bhp
    Valves 16
    Torque 175 Nm
    Top Speed 128 mph

- I find mine a bit thirsty at times [prob. issue somewhere most likely EGR valve trouble], but if they are maintained well with a reasonable right foot you're going to be able to buy one hell of a car for peanuts and just budget for slightly higher fuel bills.

- Caught for time now but I'll check back to answer any queries you have [PM me if need be]

Checkout: [Prob. have to credit JHMEG the Boards.ie Honda nut for the links]

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/honda/accord-hatchback-1999.aspx
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/honda/accord-saloon-1998.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I had the 2002 1.8 VTEC S.

Cant say enough good things about it. As you say, it was comfortable, uber reliable, extremely well built and pokey enough when you got the revs up (although sluggish at low revs).

I even banged it off a ditch (rooting in the glovebox rather than watching the road :rolleyes:). Even after that there was not a rattle to be heard anywhere.

On a 80 daily mile round trip it gave about 37 mpg.

Changed it for the new 1.8 iVTEC Civic saloon which is 140 BHP. Same size inside as that model Accord, reliable as hell, very well equipped and all the other good stuff but not as well built (too many rattles :().

I'll go for the Accord next time again. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

I've got 2000 1.8 VTEC S (UK Version Hatchback) with semi-auto (tiptronic) gear box...

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/honda/accord-hatchback-1999.aspx

never got any problem since... huge boot and very quite engine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I have a 2002 Accord EX-L, 2.3L.. Its an American car so im not sure if my opinion will help you with your decision.

Anyway i love it, it has 112k miles and runs perfectly. Very responsive handling and the car really move when you need it. The build quality is also excellent. I never really considered a Honda when i lived in Ireland but when i came to the US i got the Accord for cheap so i took it. Probably the best car i have owned..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

sounds good lads, i was going to go for a diesel, mondeo, golf passetc etc but these hondas or so cheap at the moment it'd be a shame to let it down,
    just one question, is the steering on these car tight or sloppy. One thing i cant do is drive a car with soup stirring steering. also do the car degrade (badly) with age/milage, id be looking for one with mabye 100-120 K

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Newcarneeded

I have a 02 1.8 Accord Sport model.

I don't think there's any difference in the engine compared to the SE, S models, rather the suspension is, well, sporty. I find the car very responsive, it's great to drive, turns in really well, it certainly isn't "soupy!"

I get between 29-32mpg in mixed driving. I've never gotten 35-37mpg even if I stay below the VTEC range for the entire tank. I drive the saloon so maybe the other poster has a hatch which might be a bit lighter but i'm a little surprised at his figures, I'm not doubting the veracity of them but just pointing out that i've never gotten close to that in two years of ownership.

I'm not sure what they're going for now but it've very much a buyers market. I would imagine you'll get an absolute bargain now. It's very much a buyers market and the Irish car buying public generally don't want 6-8 year old 1.85 litre units because of the annual tax.

I'd recommend test driving a few models. If you're concerned about the handling try the Sport model. I've never driven the SE and I can't imagine it's a bad handling car, but if you're concerned why not compare the two.

AFAIK the Sport was only a UK model so all the ones in the Republic are UK imports. Mine is. I can also second the fact that they're bulletproof. I've never had a moments trouble with mine, and it's squeak and rattle free -although mine only has 65k on the clock so can't really compare to the mileage on the ones you have in mind- which is a lot more than I can say for the 03 family Golf.

When I bought it I put that down to it being driven on superior UK roads but perhaps it's just a characteristic of Honda build quality. Either way I think i'm going to hold onto mine for a good few years to come.

Great car in my opinion. I'd highly recommend one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

OP i have had a 2.0 Vtec auto Accord for just over a year now. Its a 00 saloon. We bought it for the missus (she needs to drive an auto box) and haven't had a days trouble. Its got 81k miles on the clock and everything feels as it should. It recently passed the NCT without even the slightest problem.
    Its an SE, not the exec model (no leather) but does have all the electrics gizmos and aircon, 4 x airbags, etc.
    I find that i drive it more than herself (she feels its a bit too big for her) and given that i have a fairly short commute, mpg is working out at around 27 up to mid 30s on country runs.
    The auto box (4spd) is responsive and very smooth. Its actually a tiptronic box, so you have the option of manually changing yourself, tho i've always thought tiptronics are something you will play with for 5mins, then just leave it in D.
    If i did have a gripe, it would be that they are not overly generous in the rear for 6 footers. Not that we have anyone in the back on a regular basis, but when i'm checking out a car, i always like to see if i can "sit behind myself".
    Apart from that i would have no problem recommending the Accord.

(Oh, and mines for sale btw :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Notch000 wrote: »
    sounds good lads, i was going to go for a diesel, mondeo, golf passetc etc but these hondas or so cheap at the moment it'd be a shame to let it down,
    just one question, is the steering on these car tight or sloppy. One thing i cant do is drive a car with soup stirring steering. also do the car degrade (badly) with age/milage, id be looking for one with mabye 100-120 K

Hey - my response last night was a bit rushed as I was heading out the door, but if I was to have added anything at the time it would have been re. this cars handling. Its hard to describe in a few sentences but for example on a week long stay in Clifden we toured around a lot every day and it really was noticeable constantly - this car puts a silly smile on your face and makes you feel almost giddy as it sweeps into and launches out of bends on those little winding mountain roads.

- I also put my first set of Yokohama tyres on this Accord [A Drive I think ?] and I have to say they are superb and and excellent pairing with unbelievable grip in all conditions and they're very, very quiet.

Also - for what its worth, I went to Bristol for my Accord - the UK market had plenty of higher specified candidates for a fraction of the cost of the lower equipped models available here - ie. much more car for much less money & no Dealer smirking as you drive away.

The Hatchback was only ever available in the UK too - I'd def. recommend it as its a nice flexible expansion on the already massive boot + I like having a rear wiper in our 364 days of 23 hour rain ;)

P.S. I never got anywhere near 37 MPG under any conditions - I find mine thirsty as I already stated but I suspect there's a prob. somewhere that I need to get around to sorting out............. If anyone has managed to improve this cars economy please do let me know !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I found the steering nice and weighty actually. In fact some people who took it for a test drive found it heavy when parking. My Civic has EPS and I find that a bit "numb" but just as responsive.

I should qualify the 37 mpg as achieved when actually trying to maximise what I could get. If I drove normally it was not as good, definitely less than 35 mpg but not as thirsty as a fish either.

The one thing that probably lets that model down at this stage is the interior. Well equipped but you kinda know it was designed in the late 90's. Theres one completely pointless bit of wood trim above the passenger glovebox and looks a bit silly because its the only wood trim in the entire car as far as I remember.

That aside, you cant go wrong.:)

Advertisement