Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pubs in Galway closing at 1am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Over 90 posts, most of which are moaning about the law being enforced.

No wonder Ireland has had so many corruption scandals in politics and business. The attitude that led to those scandals obviously hasn't changed and the vicious circle of the nod and wink, 'ah sure it'll be grand', 'jobs will be lost if you enforce the law'....and so on with the excuses will inevitably continue.

Well done to the new Superintendent for having the balls to actually enforce the law rather than permitting the previous lax system to prevail.

If people believe the laws are unfair, lobby the politicians to change them but don't blame the Superintendent for enforcing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Atlantis50 wrote: »

No wonder Ireland has had so many corruption scandals in politics and business. The attitude that led to those scandals obviously hasn't changed and the vicious circle of the nod and wink, 'ah sure it'll be grand', 'jobs will be lost if you enforce the law'....and so on with the excuses will inevitably continue.

Well done to the new Superintendent for having the balls to actually enforce the law rather than permitting the previous lax system to prevail.

If people believe the laws are unfair, lobby the politicians to change them but don't blame the Superintendent for enforcing them.

I would kind of agree. I would go out earlier if I knew the pubs closed earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Bang on. I do think the laws are unfair. I think there should be more freedom for the people. And that's from a guy who hasn't had a touch of alcohol in 6 months and don't plan to until X-mas. If the law is 1pm then it's the law that needs to change not the fact the Gardai are doing their job.

Anybody know who would be the correct person to e-mail about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Bang on. I do think the laws are unfair. I think there should be more freedom for the people. And that's from a guy who hasn't had a touch of alcohol in 6 months and don't plan to until X-mas. If the law is 1pm then it's the law that needs to change not the fact the Gardai are doing their job.

Jesus if its that early we are all done for and the pubs may aswell cease trading, i mean you would wanna be in by breakfast time to make a go of it!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭ciano1

You sound like great craic!

Was in carbon last night.. Seemed to be business as usual. Closed after 2am afaik!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Can anyone tell me why some clubs in Dublin, e.g. Coppers, can stay open till 4, while most clubs close at 2.30? Also, how do the late night wine bars (which essentially are clubs) e.g. Leggs, stay open until like 6??

Is there any place in Galway that stays open to the public after 2.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your TD, and the Minister who's in charge of the area (sorry I don't know who that is).

But in person, or by old fashioned paper-based letter; emails are way to easy to write, so not taken as seriously.

But , if there is more licensing law reform, don't expect things to go in the direction of "more freedom": that's been tried, and the level of alcohol consumption went up - with all it's related health and social-disorder effects. If anything law change is likely to be about reducing these, and likely steps include more restricted opening ours, removing alcohol from convenience shops, minimum prices. And IMHO they really should require anywhere serving alcohol to serve food too (soakage, and to reduce time spend drinking)- but I doubt this will happen 'cos too many pubs here simply don't have the space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The law is actully 2am, but the local court has descrition to make it earlier if "they have a valid reason". I'd argue there is no valid reason being given and the local court needs to cop the **** on.

THFC wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why some clubs in Dublin, e.g. Coppers, can stay open till 4, while most clubs close at 2.30? Also, how do the late night wine bars (which essentially are clubs) e.g. Leggs, stay open until like 6??

Is there any place in Galway that stays open to the public after 2.30?

Coppers basically doesn't get touched because it's where the Gardai all drink so raiding the place would mean a newpaper headline of "150 Gardi, 200 Nurses and 300 school teachers appeared in court today".
    Wouldn't look great in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Somebody needs to stop this guy before he ruins the place !

Looking at an earler thread here about the clubs that used to exist in Salthill clearly shows the danger posed to the city's reputation by the over zealous application of the law by a new Garda Superintendant.

Salthill went from being one of the premiere resorts in Ireland to it's present sorry state in less than 20 years because the clubs there were put out of business by a Super on a mission from God.

While unavailable for comment this week, the Superintendent told the local press last year that, "Excessive consumption of alcohol and illegal drugs are the source of all problems on our streets. The most common defence in the Courts for unruly behaviour is that of intoxication. The Gardai have dealt with, and will continue to deal with, the problems on the streets."

He denied 'targeting' Vagabond's, one of Salthill's longest-running clubs, which closed last year after the owner was told that it was unlikely he'd get his dance licence renewed. The 27 staff who lost their jobs as a result later made it onto the front-page of the City Tribune when they picketed Salthill Garda station.

With The Castle throwing in the towel at roughly the same time, the only dance club still running in the resort is Liquid.

http://ads.hotpress.com/archive/415929.html

The slogan 'Come to Galway to get hassled by the Gardai' will kill our tourist industry stone dead, just what we need in the debths of a recession !

:(

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    Your TD, and the Minister who's in charge of the area (sorry I don't know who that is).

But in person, or by old fashioned paper-based letter; emails are way to easy to write, so not taken as seriously.

But , if there is more licensing law reform, don't expect things to go in the direction of "more freedom": that's been tried, and the level of alcohol consumption went up - with all it's related health and social-disorder effects. If anything law change is likely to be about reducing these, and likely steps include more restricted opening ours, removing alcohol from convenience shops, minimum prices. And IMHO they really should require anywhere serving alcohol to serve food too (soakage, and to reduce time spend drinking)- but I doubt this will happen 'cos too many pubs here simply don't have the space.
    Used to happen til around 2000/2001, i can remember chilli con carne being the meal of choice in the GPO, Cuba and The Alley.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

You act as if there's something wrong with that.

Not all laws should be obeyed.

Pigs will be pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Pigs will be pigs.

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

extraice wrote: »
    was in the ......... it know as late night bar ...... cop came and closed it down ..... , so we moved ( off two late night pub ) ... 1 am cop again , got shut down .... again ( off two outher pub ..... ) that got closed by the cops ....
    i thought galway had late night pub ...... latin area of town ....

whats going on ? and why cop shutting down pub at ....

thought was 2 am ..... i am not payying to go two club 15 - 10 euros

I completely agree with everything said there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

Used to happen til around 2000/2001, i can remember chilli con carne being the meal of choice in the GPO, Cuba and The Alley.

Oh the things i've heard about those meals from the staff in there........ :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

yer man! wrote: »
    Oh the things i've heard about those meals from the staff in there........ :eek:

i used to get a meal ticket in the GPO but food was never served, which was a scam. the dance floor was always sticky. why would a disco want to give you someone for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Seaneh wrote: »
    Coppers basically doesn't get touched because it's where the Gardai all drink so raiding the place would mean a newpaper headline of "150 Gardi, 200 Nurses and 300 school teachers appeared in court today".
    Wouldn't look great in fairness.
    But sure wouldn't the owner of Coppers be going to court, not the guards, nurses and teachers? :P Point taken though.. Now that I think on it you're normally asked for cash after half 2..

What about Leggs and the other late night wine bars? They're clubs in all but name and somehow are able to serve up until about 6 in the morning.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    i used to get a meal ticket in the GPO but food was never served, which was a scam. the dance floor was always sticky. why would a disco want to give you someone for free?
    Never had one thank God but i was present when others had them in all 3 places, nasty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

If they're changing licensing laws, maybe they should stop people being able to buy drink at 10.30am. Move it to say 1pm, and extend it the other side too. Let clubs and late bars open until 3. It's counter-productive really, places will eventually close, job losses, more people on the dole. Hopefully common sense prevails. Can't see it lasting once the colleges are back anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

In England you can buy booze practically 24 hours. It poses no problems. The licensing laws here are a joke. Absurd that I can't pick up a bottle of wine or a few bottles of beer to have with my dinner because it's 10.01pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

In England you can buy booze practically 24 hours. It poses no problems. The licensing laws here are a joke. Absurd that I can't pick up a bottle of wine or a few bottles of beer to have with my dinner because it's 10.01pm

(a). No you can't, and
    (b). A little bit of pre-planning and you could have bought your booze during the 14 hours (yes folks, 14 continuous hours) during which it is legally available for purchase almost every day.

You ****ing knuckle dragging moron.
    Mod note:user banned

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bicsoi

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    (a). No you can't, and
    (b). A little bit of pre-planning and you could have bought your booze during the 14 hours (yes folks, 14 continuous hours) during which it is legally available for purchase almost every day.

what off licence opens at 8AM !!!
    :confused:

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    (a). No you can't, and

Off licences are open for 12 hours monday - saturday and 10 hours on sunday,

A lot of people work from early until late evening and have commutes which mean they can't get to an offie to purschess a beer if they haven't stocked up.

in most european countries you can walk into a super market at any time, 24 hours a day, and buy a beer, hell, I remember being in spain and seeing men in suits having a glass of beer with a bocadillo for breakfast at the kiosks in the metro on their way to work. Or walking home after a long shift at 3am and stopping into the local 24 hour Supercor and getting a few cans of Mahou, not much problems in the middle of Peurta del Sol in Madrid on a week night despite being able to get alcohol any time you want.

It would seem you are the knuckle dragger with your beyond retarded view of licencing laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Anybody go out tonight? Did they close them on the weekend or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I have no problem with the 10pm closing of the off licences. It has certainly cut down on the anti social behaviour where I live. Now the young uns seem to have run out of Buckie and cans by about midnight. In the old days they were still smashing bottles till nearly four in the morning.
    The pub thing is totally different though. Any experienced staff can decide when to refuse somebody when they know they have enough. Any of the places that employ less experienced people usually have security who should apply the same rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I love how ridiculous the approach is.

Instead of educating people on sensible drinking, providing alternatives to going out and generally policing the streets when they need to do so the Gardai go on an expensive crackdown of businesses, people having fun and people earning a living. I'm not saying everyones angels, I've seen plenty of trouble on the streets but the reality is, stricter opening hours for bars, off licences and increased prices aren't doing anything to curb the subsequent anti-social behaviour and excessive alcohol consumption levels in Galway.

The Gardai aren't doing anyone any favours, as earlier opening hours means people get drunk sooner, meaning instead of a lot of drunk people on the streets going to clubs from 10:30pm onwards, it can be as soon as 9pm, impacting those closing up shops, going home etc. Yes its the law, in my opinion not necessarily a good one, we should challenge and discuss it, not just say thats it, nothing we can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    If they're changing licensing laws, maybe they should stop people being able to buy drink at 10.30am. Move it to say 1pm, and extend it the other side too. Let clubs and late bars open until 3. It's counter-productive really, places will eventually close, job losses, more people on the dole. Hopefully common sense prevails. Can't see it lasting once the colleges are back anyway!
    Clever. Discriminate against the retired old people who go for a drink in the morning, in favour of the young ones who'd rather drink in the early hours.
    The old lads aren't doing their health any good - but for the most part, they aren't assaulting people or smashing up the place or keeping neighbourhoods awake as they shuffle home. Unlike the youngsters who drink until 3am.
    Nope, not a proposal I'd favour at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I love how ridiculous the approach is.

Instead of educating people on sensible drinking, providing alternatives to going out and generally policing the streets when they need to do so the Gardai go on an expensive crackdown of businesses, people having fun and people earning a living.

I could not agree more. Someone needs to take this Superintendant aside and tell them to 'Cop-On' !

The Gardai are only interested in a downward trend in the Garda statistics. Fewer clubs and fewer people drinking in bars may lead to less trouble on the streets. But the price paid for this approach will be the death of Galway as a preferred tourist destination in Ireland, the loss of many jobs in the hospitality trade and the impact of the recession will be greatly magnified in the City.

But the abstenious partypooping killjoys who would prefer to live in a nice quiet place like Termonfeckin will be happy.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

JustMary wrote: »
    Clever. Discriminate against the retired old people who go for a drink in the morning, in favour of the young ones who'd rather drink in the early hours.
    The old lads aren't doing their health any good - but for the most part, they aren't assaulting people or smashing up the place or keeping neighbourhoods awake as they shuffle home. Unlike the youngsters who drink until 3am.
    Nope, not a proposal I'd favour at all.

And the award for cramming the greatest number of generalisations into one post goes to...JustMary! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The licensees apparently met the Gardaí about it on Friday afternoon so there'll probably be some agreement about going back to normal soon.

Advertisement