Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Media pushing for Kenny and Fine Gael?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

dlofnep wrote: »
    You lack faith in the strength Ireland has at the bargaining table, and yet - all public commentators disagree with you.
    They also disagree completely with Sinn Fein. What McWilliams etc. are talking about is defaulting solely on bank debt and not on sovereign debt. Because of the deficit, getting rid of the IMF/EU deal will pretty much guarantee sovereign default.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

http://www.breakingnews.ie/election/news/new-poll-confirms-fine-gael-lead-493808.html

They ran a story last night saying the same thing, but now they're sure apparently.

The reason I started this thread, and I actually forgot once I started ranting a bit, was to draw up the coincidence between this and the lisbon 2 campaign.

Almost all media publications were pro lisbon. I wasn't looking for an Anti Lisbon stance, but rather a neutral objective opinion.

Its the same sickening scenario again. I dont care if the media are just jumping on the "who's popular" bandwagon.
    Would an objective, impartial opinion be too much to ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 finnvalley

It seems highly likely that there is indeed a media bias towards Fine Gael, otherwise surely some of them would've copped on that Fine Gael's recent leadership debacle, or to quote Michael Noonan, was 'a stroke' to make Enda Kenny look like a strong leader. Bad enough as Fianna Fail are, at least when Michéal Martin opposed Brian Cowen, it was immediately apparent that his leadership bid was genuine. Fine Gael on the other hand are a party who one day had no confidence in their leader, the next, he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and the people who so vehemently opposed his leadership quickly fell into rank.

Maybe despite his lack of personality and communication skills, the man does deserve to be Taoiseach...he certainly fooled the nation on that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dlofnep wrote: »
    The Mirror is certainly behind Fine Gael. Their articles are riddled with bias. So much for the media playing an nonpartisan role in politics.

Only RTE are required to be unbiased. The newspapers can be as biased as they like, and in fact it's difficult to find a newspaper in this country without some bias towards a particular political stance (if not a party per se). The better newspapers are the ones that are open about what their bias is, e.g. the Economist which makes no bones about being decidedly centrist with a heavy favouring towards free trade. You might not agree with how the Economist analyses things but you can't be under any illusions that it espouses a completely neutral viewpoint if you pay attention.

Advertisement