Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beauty bloggers on snapchat

Options
  • 17-08-2015 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

So what was once just an app for me to send ugly pictures of myself to my friends has now been taken over by loads of beauty bloggers. Why do you think this is? Just another platform for them to get exposure from? I've been following a few but to be honest it's just videos of them with one product placement after another; more of the same, just a different format.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I only have the glamour nazi on snapchat but I quite enjoy her snaps!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

funny, i have never come across any of this on snapchat

*unfollow thread

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

funny, i have never come across any of this on snapchat

*unfollow thread

Girl bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

I follow a few aswel. I quite like the short little snippets of their lives and whatnot.

Sosueme shows you behind the scenes stuff aswel when shes filming for tv or photoshoots, she seems like a nice girl.

I follow a few aswel. I quite like the short little snippets of their lives and whatnot.

Sosueme shows you behind the scenes stuff aswel when shes filming for tv or photoshoots, she seems like a nice girl.

I quite liked watching them too until the real reason they're on there came out and it was just placement after placement for brands. It's the number 1 app for the ages 12-35 so it makes sense for them to try and reach out to that audience. The constant bombardment of product placement gets annoying after a while though and it's like they think we don't know any better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

I noticed recently too that a few of them are starting to give less of their opinion of products on snapchat and just direct you to their new video on Youtube or new blog post.
    I suppose they are trying to generate views and website hits but kind of annoying for me, I like them short and to the point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I follow Retro Flame, Lovely Girlie Bits and Vivianna Does Make-Up on Snapchat and I find them pretty entertaining. Retro Flame's snaps are mostly about her life in New York as well as outfit snaps and blog promo. Lovely Girlie Bits is more warts 'n' all, going about her daily life (but quite funny), and VDM doesn't snap that much, but she comes across as very down to earth and not at all self-promoting.

Sometimes it's nice to see the person behind the glam Instagram shots, but I'd find it a turn-off if the snaps were more about endless self-promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Sometimes it's nice to see the person behind the glam Instagram shots, but I'd find it a turn-off if the snaps were more about endless self-promotion.

Ditto!

I follow Fleur de Force, HeyClaire, Amelia Liana & Essie Button. There is a certain amount of self promotion ("go check out my new video!") but I follow them on youtube so I'd watch most of the videos anyway. I like seeing their everyday lives, it's like watching instant vlogs.

Maybe I'm following the wrong people so! I was following Rosie Connolly, Chloe Boucher and Pippa. Every morning I had to fly through 350+ seconds of "look what I got sent today", and gazillions of products. May give lovely girly bits a follow I heard she's funny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I follow a few bloggers on snapchat. Pippa O'Connor, Faces by Grace, Love Lauren, Lipstick & Louboutins, Fluff & Fripperies, Retroflame, Rosie Connolly, Styleme curvy, the beautiful truth, the make up fairy, buy now blog later.
    I have found over the last few weeks that it has become a bit much. Some bloggers have been posting tons of snaps about stuff that isn't even interesting so I do think I will be unfollowing a few of them. If you watch a video going around of facebook taking the mick on these snaps, it does sum it up!
    My fav's though are Pippa, Buy now blog later, the make up fairy and the beautiful truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    My fav's though are Pippa, Buy now blog later, the make up fairy and the beautiful truth.

I forgot to mention I follow Buy Now Blog Later too. I'm so jealous of her life in general :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Watched a 200second long snapchat last night of a blogger complaining about people being negative towards her. It had been about 2 weeks since her last rant which I think is the longest she's ever gone without ranting. I honestly believe she puts up these rants to get people to tell her she looks good. It's quite sad. She seems very insecure. I've stopped following her on snapchat now.

I love dramaticmac lately. She's been giving a nice insight into her life and always does Q&A's.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

I love Facesbygrace. Seems very down to earth

Taboola wrote: »
    Watched a 200second long snapchat last night of a blogger complaining about people being negative towards her. It had been about 2 weeks since her last rant which I think is the longest she's ever gone without ranting. I honestly believe she puts up these rants to get people to tell her she looks good. It's quite sad. She seems very insecure. I've stopped following her on snapchat now.

I love dramaticmac lately. She's been giving a nice insight into her life and always does Q&A's.

Saw that too and I unfollowed her also. She seems very insecure alright.

anna080 wrote: »
    Saw that too and I unfollowed her also. She seems very insecure alright.

YOU'RE JUST A JEALOUS HATER!!

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

Taboola wrote: »

Who was this??

Two bloggers I follow both had rants on snapchat about negative comments!!

Tbh they should be able to deal with negativity. It's like if they aren't being admired and praised 24/7 they can't cope. The comments they get aren't even that bad, no name calling or anything like that, mainly just disagreeing with something or other. It's just attention seeking at this point.

The blogger I saw put up a picture of herself in her underwear. She's lost weight, looks great and obviously wants to show off her progress. What people seem to have an issue with is her posting in underwear which IMO are NSFW. She knows this and keeps posting pictures. Obviously it's her blog and she can post whatever pictures she likes but it's not like she doesn't know that this backlash is coming whenever she posts a picture like that and then gets all 'ranty' when someone comments on it. It's very tiring.

• Advertisement

I just think there is no need to take to snapchat to have a rant when you are in a mood. Maybe some people think that it's ok cos they are being real and all that, but I think bloggers should treat themselves as business people and should maintain a professional image when using social media. Keep the snaps to pics of beauty products, swatches, MOTD, OOTD etc.

I just think there is no need to take to snapchat to have a rant when you are in a mood. Maybe some people think that it's ok cos they are being real and all that, but I think bloggers should treat themselves as business people and should maintain a professional image when using social media. Keep the snaps to pics of beauty products, swatches, MOTD, OOTD etc.

100% agree. I unfollowed when she 'outted' the person who gave her a negative comment. Uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Bloggers in general don't seem to be able to handle feedback-they always call it criticism and jealousy. One minute they're boasting about how amazing it is that they can blog and have a platform for whatever they're shilling, and the next they are just normal people, trying to have a voice online but all the negativity is NOT FAIR.

I often wonder how they deal with professional feedback in other areas of their work life.

How do you unfollow someone on Snapchat?

Edit - ok found it!

I assume its rosie your talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

I have just totally fallen out of love with beauty bloggers recently. I feel like the ones I watch are just so repetitive and people put in no effort! And a lot of them are people who blog and youtube for a living but they just don't really seem to care. And the one Irish blog I really liked just seems to have given up! I swear I'm a total jinx on blogs. As soon as I start following them, they just seem to lose interest!

I think they're all full of s**t

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

I have just totally fallen out of love with beauty bloggers recently. I feel like the ones I watch are just so repetitive and people put in no effort! And a lot of them are people who blog and youtube for a living but they just don't really seem to care. And the one Irish blog I really liked just seems to have given up! I swear I'm a total jinx on blogs. As soon as I start following them, they just seem to lose interest!

Same here. Very disillusioned with blogs lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

lazygal wrote: »
    Bloggers in general don't seem to be able to handle feedback-they always call it criticism and jealousy. One minute they're boasting about how amazing it is that they can blog and have a platform for whatever they're shilling, and the next they are just normal people, trying to have a voice online but all the negativity is NOT FAIR.

I often wonder how they deal with professional feedback in other areas of their work life.

Professional feedback is one thing, but being told to get a life or getting personal attacks about your appearance is out of line.

Most of us have some sort of social media presence, and I'm sure any of us would be appalled if a randomer commented nastily on any of our pictures. I know bloggers are branding and marketing themselves through facebook etc in a way the rest of us are not, but personal attacks are never justified in my opinion.

The excuse of "you're putting yourself out there so you're fair game" is a load of bollix as far as I'm concerned. Bullies are using this as some sort of shield when really, it shouldn't be tolerated. At the end of the day, they are normal people who have built a career online. All people have feelings, even these successful bloggers!

That said, I watched the rant on snapchat that others have mentioned. I thought it was a little much, but I completely understand where she was coming from. Perhaps she should seek out a bit of counselling to help her cope with the anxiety and panic attacks she suffers from rather than ranting so much through social media. She would probably benefit more from ignoring and rising above the vindictive comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If my social media presence was causing me such distress that I was having panic attacks I'd probably get off it for a while, blogger or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement