Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Got Stila Sheer Color tinted moisturizer for cheap online. Its not very good, very thick and greasy and makes dry skin really obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

<3'ing Chanel pro-lumiére foundation at the moment. Light enough for this time of year but still a decent medium coverage. Sits into my skin nicely, was finding my studio fix fluid was just sitting on my face, looking like a mask. Wouldn't mind but I'd JUST bought a new bottle of studio fix when this started happening :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Naked eye palette is out of stock on the Debenhams website :(

boots-essentials-cucumber-wipes-25-pack-17343305.jpeg
    Excellent wipes, don't irritate the skin at all, they are just as good (if not better) than any other wipes I've used (Johnson's, No.7, Nivea, Simple etc). They aren't expensive (about €2) and you only need one (well I only need one, I guess it depends how much make-up you wear).

article-1227233-0730AD48000005DC-347_148x263.jpg
    IMO, this cleansing is as good as the Clarins cleanser I use. It's gentle on the skin and it's soothing so the skin feels refreshed and cool afterwards. A little goes a long way. Will definitely be sticking to it after my Clarins runs out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

jokettle wrote: »
    I bought the naked palette in debenhams Henry st about an hour ago! Going to play around with it this evening and post a proper review later :)

So I've been messing around with this for a bit (I'm trying to avoid college work today) and I love it! It really does live up to the hype. I was a bit concerned that I'd only be able to use 2-3 shades and the rest would be too dark/glittery/orange for my tastes, but my fears were unfounded :)

The only thing I'll mention is that instead of a double-ended eyeliner, I got a shadow brush. I'm not sure if the first, pre-Christmas versions included the eyeliner as a limited offer or what the story is! I'm not disappointed though, as I've used UD's eyeliners before and found them to be very greasy and don't last long, primer or no primer. Plus, extra make up brushes are always welcome :)

I was trawling youtube for some tutorials on creating different looks with the palette but could only find posts by Americans who have very different skin tones to me; would anyone be able to recommend tutorials by someone with Irish-type skin? And by that I mean transparently pale :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

jokettle wrote: »
    The only thing I'll mention is that instead of a double-ended eyeliner, I got a shadow brush. I'm not sure if the first, pre-Christmas versions included the eyeliner as a limited offer or what the story is! I'm not disappointed though, as I've used UD's eyeliners before and found them to be very greasy and don't last long, primer or no primer. Plus, extra make up brushes are always welcome :)

I ordered mine before christmas and got it just after and I got no eyeliner in mine - no brush either, just a big empty slot at the front. Seeing as you didn't get an eyeliner either I wonder if they're having supply problems or something else?

• Advertisement

I was in Limerick recently and after reading this thread I was really curious about MUA stuff so I popped into superdrug and purchased three eyeshadows:

1zfrfig.jpg

Shade 1 (kind of creamy beige), 10 (actually purple, but photographed rather blue) and 11 (this one goes on a lot lighter than it looks, it came out a lovely chocolatey brown for me).
    Anyway, for whatever reason I was only charged 1.05 for each of them, so I figured if they were crap it wouldn't matter, whats 3.15?
    I tried them out last week and I was VERY suprised. They have great colour and last for ages. I actually had a hot yoga class on wednesday night and I was wearing the first and last shades and after an hour of crazy heat and some mad sweating the eyeshadow hadn't even budged, impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

l-oreal-extra-volume-plus-collagen-mascara.jpeg

Got this mascara after getting recommendations of it on baords, and am super impressed. If you like this kinda wand then I would say you'll love it

Got the studio secrets primer too, and I HATE IT, can anyone tell me how it's meant to work, cause both days I've worn it, my makeup has not lasted as long as usual, and my face looked awful!

Also got a few rimmel lipsticks and like them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

So in the past week I've got a lot of new make up. Thanks to my wonderful boyfriend for my MAC vouchers and thanks to me for treating myself! :D

First up is a custom palatte from MAC featuring carbon, goldmine, woodwinked and amber lights.

I love the gold colours. They look gorgeous on their own and blend together perfectly as well. They black I figured would go with everything and I'd always use it.

I got the Lady Gaga Viva Glam 2 lipglass.
    Love the nude shade! I never wear anything on my lips apart from vaseline of a lipgloss. This goes on nicely and stays a while too. I'll probably by another before they're gone.

I also bought 3 brushes from their to add to my collection.
    I got the 217,224, and 239.

I haven't used these yet but the shadows looked gorgeous when the girl used them and I've read nothing but good on the internet so hope they live up to the hype.

I also have the 187 foundation brush which I love.

After my MAC indulgences I headed over to Sephora for some other must-haves!

I bought Benefit Coralista after so many good reviews.
    I have to say, I love it. The colour is fab and not too strong which I love. Smells yummy too.

I also bought the Urban Decay eye primer to help with my new MAC shadows.
    This does the job perfectly. I used my regular eye shadow combo (Benefit big beautiful eyes palatte) over this last night and the shadows stayed on all night and looked perfect.
    This is a keeper for me.

And now on the complete other end of the budget scale, I purchased a few Elf products after reviews from this thread.

First up is the Studio blush brush.
    I like this. I use it with the coralista and it picks up the blush really well. It's probably not the most amazing blush brush ever, but for $3 I'm happy.

I bought their gloss in buublegum and this one in pink kiss.

Not the best in the world but at $1 each I'll use them during the day or something.

I also bought the eyebrow kit but haven't used it yet.

Last up is Covergirl mascara but I haven't used this either as I'm still using Maybellines mascara.

Now, all I need to do is get my hands on Urban Decays naked palatte and I'll be happy!

I also need a new powder for setting my foundation if anyone has any recommendations.

And for anyone interested, my colouring is pale-medium toned, blue eyes and brown hair with blond highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

From ELFs facebook page
    wrote:
    FREE SHIPPING on eyeslipsface.co.uk until 12noon (UK time) 8 March 2011. Use codes ELFSPRINGUK (UK) or ELFSPRINGEU (EU) at checkout. Minimum order of £10 applies. Please select shipping options before adding the code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Lieenie

Off-Topic maybe; but has any recently been able to buy the Urban Decay Naked Palette?

I just got my UD Naked Palette in the post to-day from debenhams.ie (Ordered Friday night) €32.40 with free delivery. It's different from the before Christmas one (you get a shadow brush instead of eye liners)

• Advertisement

Oh and to answer the question on the eyeliners vs brush in the palette. The delay was that they couldn't make the double ended eyeliners quick enough do they put the brush in instead. Can't wait to give mine a bash.
    By the time I'd saved up for the palette they'd sold out (Damn Christmas presents for other people). Really need some new brushes too but am broke (Don't have to explain why do I? lol). Anyone know any good eye brushes?? Was looking at MAC but can't stretch that much for 1 need a fluffy 217 blending type one any takers??

Lieenie wrote: »
    Anyone know any good eye brushes?? Was looking at MAC but can't stretch that much for 1 need a fluffy 217 blending type one any takers??

No 7 do lovely brushes, I have almost the whole set of them now. The eye brushes are around the 7/8 euro mark so even if you don't like it, it wouldn't break the bank.
    I was a bit sneaky and used those 7.50 off vouchers everytime they rolled around and thats how I bought my brush collection, I don't think i've paid more than a few euro for the lot :p

Lieenie wrote: »
    Oh and to answer the question on the eyeliners vs brush in the palette. The delay was that they couldn't make the double ended eyeliners quick enough do they put the brush in instead. Can't wait to give mine a bash.
    By the time I'd saved up for the palette they'd sold out (Damn Christmas presents for other people). Really need some new brushes too but am broke (Don't have to explain why do I? lol). Anyone know any good eye brushes?? Was looking at MAC but can't stretch that much for 1 need a fluffy 217 blending type one any takers??

I have a few No.7 brushes and tbh, they are useless.

This one I have: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_EPgMl30laBg/TOfixjfq9JI/AAAAAAAABFY/tK2aPLDD5oY/s1600/DSC00882.JPG and it sheds hair like I don't know what. I used to take me ages to pick the hairs of my face after using it.

I have this one also: http://www.boots.com/en/No7-Eyeshadow-Blend-and-Contour-Brush_947206/ and I can put the eyeshadow on the brush, but it won't go on my eye from the brush, if you get me.

I have this one as well: http://www.boots.com/en/No7-Eye-Colour-Brush_924431/ and I have the same problems with the brush I posted above, can get the e/s on the brush but can't get it off the brush.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ySZq9n25FPo/SVUqWtx4Q5I/AAAAAAAAAHs/2NNOCVQffBs/s320/Brushed+numbered.jpg I have brush 2 in this pic and it is fab!!! The best brush I have ever bought! It wasn't too expensive either.

http://www.eyeslipsface.co.uk/ ELF brushes are fab as well, I've loads and never once had a complaint about any of them. And with the price, you can't go wrong really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I have this one also: http://www.boots.com/en/No7-Eyeshadow-Blend-and-Contour-Brush_947206/ and I can put the eyeshadow on the brush, but it won't go on my eye from the brush, if you get me.

I have this one as well: http://www.boots.com/en/No7-Eye-Colour-Brush_924431/ and I have the same problems with the brush I posted above, can get the e/s on the brush but can't get it off the brush.

I've got the two brushes above too. Got them on the 7.50 voucher. Ok, I don't expect them to last a lifetime or anything but I find them great. I've no probs getting colour off the brush. The blending brush isn't that soft but it does the job. I wouldn't buy them having said that, without the money off vouchers.
    In boots, I also bought a few eco tools brushes.
    http://www.boots.com/en/Ecotools-Bamboo-Eye-Shadow-Brush_1051160/
    I like these a lot. I find them better quality than the no7 ones, lovely and soft. I have the eyeshadow one, blush brush and concealer brush.
    As someone who's into art and painting, I find it incredible the amount of brushes people feel they need for their faces and the amount they're willing to pay. I've seen people with bigger makeup brush collections than my artist's ones !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Shmatter wrote: »
    Got the studio secrets primer too, and I HATE IT, can anyone tell me how it's meant to work, cause both days I've worn it, my makeup has not lasted as long as usual, and my face looked awful!

I got a lovely Clarins primer in my Christmas box from my aunt (always great for makeup at Xmas! :) ) I thought primer was put all over your face before foundation. But, I was a model at the International makeup academy a little while back and primer is supposed to be put where you have little bits of dry skin or for me open pores. They put it on my nose, just under my lip, and just above my eyebrows. It smooths out the skin, there is a difference between the places where the primer was put and where it wasn't, and I find that it gives those places an airbrushed look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Just ordered a couple of makeup brushes from ELF yesterday..

anyone know delivery times?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I bought a mini haul of ELF stuff on the 25th of Feb and it came yesterday in the post.

So that was about 5 working days. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

PlayGirl wrote: »
    Just ordered a couple of makeup brushes from ELF yesterday..

anyone know delivery times?

I bought mine on last Wed and got them yesterday (Monday).

I got a few things from elf when they had free signed delivery and my bits arrived in 3 or 4 days. Super fast! the normal delivery was 6 working days. Still not bad for the normal post from the Uk. Both were small orders of items instock 

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

I got a lovely Clarins primer in my Christmas box from my aunt (always great for makeup at Xmas! :) ) I thought primer was put all over your face before foundation. But, I was a model at the International makeup academy a little while back and primer is supposed to be put where you have little bits of dry skin or for me open pores. They put it on my nose, just under my lip, and just above my eyebrows. It smooths out the skin, there is a difference between the places where the primer was put and where it wasn't, and I find that it gives those places an airbrushed look.
    I'll try this seeing at I've already bought the darn thing. I use gosh all over my face and it's lovely, but the two seem polar opposites, so might as well treat them like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

I bought mine on last Wed and got them yesterday (Monday).

I ordered mine last Tuesday and got an email yesterday to say they were only dispatched yesterday and that it would take 7-14 days (working) for delivery :-(

It was UK site too! How long did you have to wait for your delivery to arrive after you got email with date of dispatch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I ordered mine last Tuesday and got an email yesterday to say they were only dispatched yesterday and that it would take 7-14 days (working) for delivery :-(

It was UK site too! How long did you have to wait for your delivery to arrive after you got email with date of dispatch?

I got the dispatch email on the 3rd and got them in the post the 7th.

Ok my e.l.f package arrived today and I was mostly happy except with two things!!But for one euro fifty an item I can't complain!

The fake eyelashes (Natural Looking Lush Lashes) do not look natural at all and the lashes are falling out even when I just opened the box!

The second thing I wasn't happy with was the waterproof eyeliner pen the tip of it seems to have frayed already and I've only used it on myself and my sister and was very gentle with it!:(

Everything else I love and am like a child on Christmas morning opening them all up and trying them out!

My three favourite things (I bought seventeen-oops!! :p) are:

.1. Healthy glow bronzing powder- I used this over my foundation and it was light but gave good coverage, felt lovely against my skin and really helped keep my foundation stay put!

.2. Warm bronzer- the colour tones in this are fab, I used it as a blusher and it really gave me a healthy looking glow. I'd say it would look lovely as a bronzer over a tinted moisturiser in summer!

.3. Mineral Foundation (Light)- Love, love, love this! I never believed mineral foundations could work to give good coverage but this one definitely does!

1. Healthy glow bronzing powder- I used this over my foundation and it was light but gave good coverage, felt lovely against my skin and really helped keep my foundation stay put!

.2. Warm bronzer- the colour tones in this are fab, I used it as a blusher and it really gave me a healthy looking glow. I'd say it would look lovely as a bronzer over a tinted moisturiser in summer!

.3. Mineral Foundation (Light)- Love, love, love this! I never believed mineral foundations could work to give good coverage but this one definitely does!
    Can I ask, what are the colours like? Are they dark/light? I'm looking for a new foundation and bronzer and was thinking of trying the mineral foundation as I want something light.

I've never used mineral foundation before so not sure colour-wise.

Currently I use the Bobbi Brown Natural Matte Finish in colour "sand" which is quite light so would be looking for something similar.

For bronzer, I use the Clarins duo soleil bronzing duo in colour "morning sun" which again is quite light and not very heavy.

Can I ask, what are the colours like? Are they dark/light? I'm looking for a new foundation and bronzer and was thinking of trying the mineral foundation as I want something light.

I've never used mineral foundation before so not sure colour-wise.

Currently I use the Bobbi Brown Natural Matte Finish in colour "sand" which is quite light so would be looking for something similar.

For bronzer, I use the Clarins duo soleil bronzing duo in colour "morning sun" which again is quite light and not very heavy.

The healthy glow bronzing powder is more gold than pinkish tones so its not like the Clarins bronzer at all. And the warm bronzer seems darker than the Clarins too-its more tan tones than pinkish!

I used to wear 'sand' foundation by bobbi brown and the light mineral foundation would really suit you if that is what you usually wear

Just tried the e.l.f Shimmering Facial Whip in Lilac Petal and its amazing!! It really highlights your cheekbones! Would look great for a night out on the town :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

anniehoo wrote: »
    Waay to heavy for me tbh, dont like it at all as i tend to take my foundation from day to night with just more bronzer.

I should have mentioned how heavy it was, really. I just felt I'd rambled enough :o

I've been using it for about two weeks and I'm not impressed at all. I've actually switched back to using Studio Sculpt during the day because I found the Rimmel one so disastrous (Until I find a better cheap alternative :()
    It's incredibly hard to blend, as I mentioned in my OP, and the fact it's so thick and dries in really quickly means you're pretty much guaranteed to end up with uneven and dodgy-looking coverage.

Plus, even with primer, it didn't last anywhere near "25 hours"! After a few hours, my complexion looked uneven, the make-up was gone in some places and looked too heavy in others.

Might work for some people, but not for me!

The healthy glow bronzing powder is more gold than pinkish tones so its not like the Clarins bronzer at all. And the warm bronzer seems darker than the Clarins too-its more tan tones than pinkish!

I used to wear 'sand' foundation by bobbi brown and the light mineral foundation would really suit you if that is what you usually wear
    Thank you so much.

As soon as it's in stock - I'm ordering it!:D

Also, what brush would anyone recommend to use with mineral foundation? I have this Bobbi Brown Powder Brush, would it be ok to use?

http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/2282/7781/Brushes-etc/Brushes-and-Tools/Face/Powder-Brush/Award-Winner/index.tmpl

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

3 for 2 on Rimmel in Boots so I got two 60 seconds varnishes, Purple Reign and Coralicious. I needed a proper purple, the only one I have is I <3 Lasting Finish and I really don't like those varnishes. The coral one is a really bright reddy coral, love it! And I got one of their new Glam'Eyes quads as well. I got the State of Grace one, I haven't tried it out yet but I love the colours in it and I really like the look that Rimmel created with it so happy all round! :)

• Advertisement

Ordered a load from the e.l.f website and it arrived the other day.. but unfortunately I got it delived to the OH who I won't be seeing until next weekend so I can't play around till then. Devastation!

Advertisement