Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

• 11-02-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Thought it would be a good idea to dedicate a recently purchased thread to cosmetics only where us makeup lovers can show off our newest acquisitions complete with reviews, perhaps some photos and tutorials using the products?

Bought nine items myself off the Eyes Lips Face website last night and three things in MAC today so will have a nice little haul to show to you F&A readers this time next week when my e.l.f. stuff has arrived!

Anyone agree with this idea for a thread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Yay I was actually thinking of starting a thread like this yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Love the idea! Love watching you tube videos but so many are american and british and they review stuff you can't get here. Would love to hear about your elf stuff. Do they ship to ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

e.l.f. do indeed ship to Ireland. Standard delivery is about €6 and European sign-for is in and around €9. THey deliver withihn 4-6 working days. Value is incredible- bought nine products and inclusing delivery, the total came to €35!

With regard the Youtube videos etc, it mostly British and American gurus posting regular hauls and tutorials. I've come across a few Irish ones, though:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheStyleDiet
    Anna Saccone of "The Style Diet"- she's 23, half Corkonian, half Italian and has just written a style book for teenagers. She does tutorials, hauls, fashion videos, etc. and also has a vlog channel she shares with her fiancé, just about their day to day life. Kind of like the Shaytards.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LittleKiva
    Kiva of "LittleKiva". Young Dublin girl who's refreshingly blunt. Does slightly edgier, more full on makeup looks. Funny girl

http://www.youtube.com/user/dazzledust25
    Amy from "dazzledust25". Gorgeous Dublin gaelgoir who does fantastic hauls, reviews, tutorials, etc. Also has her own website and combined blog on www.makeupandbeauty.ie

http://www.youtube.com/user/LetzMakeup
    Siobhan from "LetzMakeup"- another stunning Irish girl with plenty of artisitic skill and talent. Does great reviews on drugstore and Irish products. Lovely voice and nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

I'm all for a seperate cosmetic purchases thread, especially if we include reviews and the like:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Great idea!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

sexyd4lady, you're just feeding my addictions!! Can't wait to check out more youtube :)
    Also can't wait to hear what you think of elf! Very excited that they can be delivered here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

brilliant idea for a thread! :) I E.L.F cosmetics, for the price you pay for them they are really good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

This sounds like a great thread, I'm all for it! Wanted to try Elf stuff so looking forward to hearing what it's like!

Got a few make up bits myself so happy to write up about them as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Recently bought rimmels new 25 hour foundation - love it!

Good coverage, not dry, lasts long, and so cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

I went to check out Inglot in Dundrum after work and spent my entire bonus there!!! I got a Pro Card off them so got 20% off all my purchases. I bought:

Brush Roll with 42 brushes - they are all synthetic. There is a natural hair roll too with 32 or 36 brushes. I went synthetic because they clean better, work with more products and some people have allergies to natural brushes. i LOVE them :D

Freedom Palette for 5 lipsticks - I needed to add more lipcolours to my kit and these are a lovely quality/texture and great value. You can also get brow gels/powders, comcealors and eyeshadows for the freedom palette.

Gel Eyeliner - I got a lime green one and a white one. The white is a bit difficult to use but I think it may work with more practice.

Loose Pigment - in a gorgeous purpley blue colour...totally pretty and a really soft texture. It goes on really smooth and easy.

Eyelashes - neon green pair for a shoot and a cool short 3 strand spikey pair I want to use on the bottom lashes.

Cannot let myself near another make up shop for a while now....I have zero self control!!

• Advertisement

giddybootz, I'm jealous! My meagre part time wage prevents me from spending as much as I would live to on cosmetics and creative treats. Any photos/swatches of your new bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

giddybootz, do you know how much the brush set was? I'm looking to buy myself a new set of (affordable) makeup brushes and I'm trying to decide between Crown, ELF or possibly Inglot if they're a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance!

Aspiration, without a pro-card the synthetic Inglot set are either 245 or 275, can't remember which. Have a look at Sigma brushes as well. They're great dupes for MAC, you can buy them individually or in sets on their website. Prices start at around €8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Has anyone any experience with E.L.F brushes?

I'm in desperate need in a bronzer/powder brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I have a kabuki brush from ELF.I think it was from their studio line.It is excellent, very soft and doesn't shed at all. I use it to put on ELF mineral foundation, which is fantastic.

I would recommend their studio and mineral range. I have a few lippies from their ordinary ranges, and they are not as good. Over 80% of my makeup collection is now ELF, but I think for the quality and price its hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭kat151283

I have brushes from the elf studio line and i find them great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Also recommend hairspray make-up brushes, super soft and really well priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Ooh a great idea for a thread!

Was away for hte weekend so did a major spree in duty free :D All Mac stuff let me seee what I got:

Mac blusher in 'Gana' from their Mickey Contractor (hehe:o) range.

It is actually more of a grey colour then this pic, and Im using it as a highlighter. It gives a nice subtle 'glow'
    mac-mickey-contractor-gana-blush.jpeg

Another Mickey Contractor piece, a Paint Pot called Chilled on Ice

Quite nice but a bit glittery, more so then it looked in the shop which is annoying but is easy to use and should be nice for a bright day time eye.
    chilled+on+ice.jpg

Got my usual staple foundation, Studiofix fluid for Nights out.
    Also decided to try their Mineralize foundation for daytime which is so far working really nicely. Gives just enough coverage and is buildable. Wont bother putting up pics!

Mac Lustre lipstick in Syrup.
    Have been looking for a pretty pink for daytime and this ticks all my boxes! Not too nude and not too pink.
    mac-lip-care-3g-0-1oz-lipstick-syrup-lustre-women.jpg

Mac eyeliner in 'Teddy'.
    Have seen alot of reviews on this bad boy and really like it. It's a metallicy type brown. Can't really get a great pic of it :(

Mac Moisturising Complete Comfort Cream
    Really rich and thick cream. Good for dry skin and contains lavander to help sooth the skin. Would definitely recommend, I can notice a huge difference in my skin, nothing was working and within a few days it's really improved. Definite winner for me!

Mac Nailpolish... Can't remember the name of it, but it's the colour on the left. Gorgeous shade, part of their limited edition range, Also cannot remember the name, but its NOT the Mickey Contractor one :p Really wanted the other shade on the right, but twas sold out :(

mac-cham-pale-nail-laquer-soiree-very-important-platinum.png

Also couldn't resist the sky shopping brochure on the plane, so bought the Benefit Confessions fo a Concealaholic kit. Only 25euro, saving something like 14.50 so I had to!
    Havn't tried it yet but have heard good things so looking forward to it.
    Benefit-Cosmetics-Confessions-of-a-Concealaholic.jpg

Phew ! I think thats it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

What do you use the Mac paint pot for perri wrinkles? Is it eyeshadow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Smashbox liquid liner omg ia it amazing. I`m pure addicted to liquid eyeliner and this is the best I`ve ever bought, its so easy to use, will be gettin it for anyone I know who reckons they can`t do winged liner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

So here are pics of the Inglot bits I picked up!!

Brush Roll - closed (This was €295 before discount)
    IMAG0149.jpg

Brush Roll - Open <3
    IMAG0151.jpg

From top left to right: Eyeliner in lime green, pigment in pretty blue/purple, eyeliner and then the fredom 5 palette with lipsticks underneath
    IMAG0152.jpg

Two pairs of funky eyelashes
    IMAG0153.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭tanya2007

panda100 wrote: »
    What do you use the Mac paint pot for perri wrinkles? Is it eyeshadow?

you can use a paint pot for a base/ primer or a eyeshadow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Latest purchases for me are

Origins Vita-zing which is like a tinted moisturiser and I love it.

Illamasqua, I ordered Liquid metal in solstice but they ended up sending me an Illamasqua gift set which included lashes , liquid gold in surge which doesn't suit me and a dark loose pigment powder which I would have no use for! I didn't bother sending it back at the time though as what I got was worth 3 times as much.

I also bought the new maybelline gel liner which is great, I love the little brush, the colour is really black, wish they made it in a bronzey colour though!

Another thing I bought was revlon pretty pout lipstick, I had wanted to buy smashbox pout but the counter had no tester so I thought this one might be a close enough colour, it's nice but I only wear lipstick once in a blue moon anyway.

Off-Topic maybe; but has any recently been able to buy the Urban Decay Naked Palette?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

I bought the Maybelline Falsies mascara and I've being using it the last few days. I find it really good, gives a really good curl to the lash. I find that some mascaras can be very flaky but this one isn't. It cost about €10/11 so kind of mid-range price I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sillisome fiend

Off-Topic maybe; but has any recently been able to buy the Urban Decay Naked Palette?

I spent months looking for the Naked Palette, managed to pick up two of them at the end of January in Debenhams(Henry St). They only had a few left even though they just got them in that day! Might be worth giving them a call :)

Actually try this

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?parentCategoryId=59001&catalogId=10001&categoryId=59001&langId=-1&productId=147577&storeName=Debenhams.ie&storeId=10052

I spent months looking for the Naked Palette, managed to pick up two of them at the end of January in Debenhams(Henry St). They only had a few left even though they just got them in that day! Might be worth giving them a call :)

Actually try this

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?parentCategoryId=59001&catalogId=10001&categoryId=59001&langId=-1&productId=147577&storeName=Debenhams.ie&storeId=10052

Thanks for that. Out of stock unfortunatley. I think i'll try ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I asked in Debenhams Henry St on Sunday about the Naked Palette; they said they'd be getting more in at the end of Feb. I heard a lot of buzz before Christmas but I'd love to get a proper review here if anyone's used it? I'm wondering if I should bother getting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I was in TK Maxx recently and picked up two Urban Decay loose pigment pots ('X' and 'Shag') for E9.99, I then seen them being sold seperately fot just over E14, so I was delighted. The pots are lovely, the colour is a little bit pale but it builds up really nicely or I use it over some other colours for a little something extra.
    jokettle wrote: »
    I asked in Debenhams Henry St on Sunday about the Naked Palette; they said they'd be getting more in at the end of Feb. I heard a lot of buzz before Christmas but I'd love to get a proper review here if anyone's used it? I'm wondering if I should bother getting it!

I was lucky enough to find one online at the House of Fraser just before christmas. It's amazing. The colours are gorgeous and they last all day and there's so many combinations you can create as well (loads of different tutorials on different ones on youtube, too!). The eyeshadows in it are just under full sized, I believe, so its an amazing deal for the price it is.
    My only downside of it is mine never came with the double ended eyeliners it was supposed to, and as the palette is so impossible to get the only way I was going to be able to get them was send it back and wait until they got more in stock and then they would replace it, but that could've taken months so I didn't bother, I'd spent a month already trying to get hold of one, there was no way I was sending it back :(#

Tayla, where did you find the gell eye liner? I can't seem to get my hands on it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Thinking of getting a few things from Elf, anyone know how light their foundations are? I'm the lightest shade in most foundations, but I can't tell what the ones on the website are like.

Advertisement