Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ahh. didn't realize it was a software crash. More likely to be related to your operating system than the Garmin software. Have you tried installing with Administrator privileges? Right-click the setup.exe and select [Run as Administrator]. Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

As the sole user of the laptop, wouldn't I already be logged in as the Administrator, or is Administrator privileges something differnet.

Would I need to uninstall everthing Garmin related first, and would I be able to access everything normally afterwards without going through Administrator privileges?

irish-stew wrote: »
    As the sole user of the laptop, wouldn't I already be logged in as the Administrator, or is Administrator privileges something differnet.

Would I need to uninstall everthing Garmin related first, and would I be able to access everything normally afterwards without going through Administrator privileges?
    You may be logged in as a user with administrator privileges, but because of security changes implemented in Vista (UAC), you don't necessarily run the installer as administrator. Used to cause me problems.

When you say 'everything Garmin related', what Garmin related products have you got installed? I would've though the ANT agent and the Garmin communicator would be the most relevant apps. Like I said, it's just a hunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

You may be logged in as a user with administrator privileges, but because of security changes implemented in Vista (UAC), you don't necessarily run the installer as administrator. Used to cause me problems.

When you say 'everything Garmin related', what Garmin related products have you got installed? I would've though the ANT agent and the Garmin communicator would be the most relevant apps. Like I said, it's just a hunch.

The Communicator, the ANT agent, and the Web Updater (only three things I downloaded for it). Do have an old EDGE, but uninstalled all for that first.

Am surprised there was no instructions to download anything for the 310xt, or would that have been picked up by the ANT Agent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dear Garmin Agony Uncle,

Nothing has transferred to training centre/garmin connect since Tuesday. I can't force send from the unit. I can't manually upload from garmin connect. Most of the activities in history, including some from this week(that I didn't get written down :( ) have disappeared from the unit AND the unit now has a couple of activities from 2007 on it. :confused:

I am at a loss, half of my weeks training is no longer recorded on the garmin, it's like it never even happened.

Please help me Garmin God.

Yours,

A sad Racoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I am at a loss, half of my weeks training is no longer recorded on the garmin, it's like it never even happened.

Well, you'll have to scratch them from the 1000 mile/SBR challenges in that case :o

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well, you'll have to scratch them from the 1000 mile/SBR challenges in that case :o

Feck that, I have witnesses for Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. :D

Dear Garmin Agony Uncle,

Nothing has transferred to training centre/garmin connect since Tuesday. I can't force send from the unit. I can't manually upload from garmin connect. Most of the activities in history, including some from this week(that I didn't get written down :( ) have disappeared from the unit AND the unit now has a couple of activities from 2007 on it. :confused:

Please help me Garmin God.

Yours,

A sad Racoon.
    Sorry RQ, haven't a clue. Sounds like some serious memory ssues, if old activities are showing up. Shouldn't really be possible, unless there's some kind of master boot record that's screwed up. Are you sure it's not just the date that's messed up? I'd try a hard reset, then send it back.

Sorry RQ, haven't a clue. Sounds like some serious memory ssues, if old activities are showing up. Shouldn't really be possible, unless there's some kind of master boot record that's screwed up. Are you sure it's not just the date that's messed up? I'd try a hard reset, then send it back.

I didn't even have a garmin in 2007. It's like a couple of spooky sessions the garmin did all on it's own. :eek:

Yeah, I think I'll send it back. Otherwise it'll probably go bananas the day of a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I didn't even have a garmin in 2007. It's like a couple of spooky sessions the garmin did all on it's own. :eek:

This is a replacement unit, right? Could it be reconditioned?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    This is a replacement unit, right? Could it be reconditioned?

Yeah, they're reconditioned units, but it should be storing workouts from 2007 as they'd have been deleted and the 310 didn't exist in 2007. :)

The wait is so long between when you report it > they respond > send it back > get your replacement. I've races in the next few weeks, can't race without a garmin. :eek:

Edit: and now the computer isn't recongising the USB stick. Looks like fate wants me to but a 910 and get a new usb stick, hrm and watch doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

When I try and look at older ativities on my garmin connect account, it will not go back. It just stays at loading. Broadband is really good so no issues there. Any suggestions.

NiallG4 wrote: »
    When I try and look at older ativities on my garmin connect account, it will not go back. It just stays at loading. Broadband is really good so no issues there. Any suggestions.
    1) Try a different browser.
    2) Raise the issue on the Garmin Connect forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

My relatively new Forerunner 305 appeared to have died earlier, it was fine when I ran. I went to turn it on and connect it to Garmin Connect and it was lifeless. I followed the instructions below and it came back to life, somewhat...but like the last poster it won't upload activities now, it freezes at a certain point. I've tried a couple of different browsers. The unit is chugging to life on the 3rd or 4th attempt when I try to start it now too.

http://www.activesplit.com/my-garmin-forerunner-305-doesnt-power-on-its-just-dead-solutions/

My garmin, gamin connect and the usb stick all appear to have fixed themselves, including the date mess up.

It gets even weirder...

My garmin, gamin connect and the usb stick all appear to have fixed themselves, including the date mess up.

It gets even weirder...
    You ever hear of Uri Geller? That's me, that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

NiallG4 wrote: »

I'm getting this too:confused: Did you find a solution?

Also... at every lap beep on runs recently I'm getting a "lap counter full... delete oldest " (Or something like that). How do I delete runs? I thought they automatically disappeared over time/ new runs added :o

Edit: Did a search :o and got the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Two questions on my Garmin 405

1 - Is it possible to buy a replacement strap? I broke my current strap around the buckle (tiny metal bar) a few weeks back and fixed it with superglue but it has broken again.

2 - I can't pair my HRM with the 405. Have the garmin a few years and never bothered sinking it but a few weeks blanked everything by accident so reset and went with yes for the HRM option. Follow the instructions and it will just not connect, funny thing is when I go to races it has no problem picking up someone elses HRM. What am I doing wrong.

Caprica wrote: »
    Two questions on my Garmin 405

1 - Is it possible to buy a replacement strap? I broke my current strap around the buckle (tiny metal bar) a few weeks back and fixed it with superglue but it has broken again.
    Go to this page, click on Accesories, and expand the 'Fitness Parts' category.
    Caprica wrote: »
    2 - I can't pair my HRM with the 405. Have the garmin a few years and never bothered sinking it but a few weeks blanked everything by accident so reset and went with yes for the HRM option. Follow the instructions and it will just not connect, funny thing is when I go to races it has no problem picking up someone elses HRM. What am I doing wrong.
    Have you changed the battery in the HRM strap recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Hi folks

I got my new (NOK) 405CX on fri 20th (10 days ago) and gave it a full charge (probably for 2-3 hours until 100% appeared on watch) on that day. Since then I have used it 5 times. Yesterday I noticed that the battery was at approx 40%. Today when I went to use it the screen was blank, and I could not restart it by pressing enter and quit simultaneously, which I assume suggests that the battery was dead?

When I plugged it in 2 and a half hours ago, 35% battery appeared on screen straight away - surely it should have been 1%?. Later on I noticed that it was stuck on 99% for quite a while. 100% has literally just appeared on the watch now - shouldn't the watch make a sound when fully charged?

Eitherway it seems to me that the batter indicator is telling me lies - has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

PGL wrote: »
    Hi folks

I got my new (NOK) 405CX on fri 20th (10 days ago) and gave it a full charge (probably for 2-3 hours until 100% appeared on watch) on that day. Since then I have used it 5 times. Yesterday I noticed that the battery was at approx 40%. Today when I went to use it the screen was blank, and I could not restart it by pressing enter and quit simultaneously, which I assume suggests that the battery was dead?

When I plugged it in 2 and a half hours ago, 35% battery appeared on screen straight away - surely it should have been 1%?. Later on I noticed that it was stuck on 99% for quite a while. 100% has literally just appeared on the watch now - shouldn't the watch make a sound when fully charged?

Eitherway it seems to me that the batter indicator is telling me lies - has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks!
    There's no battery full beep. You can leave them connected permanently, and you won't degrade the battery (in fact it will prolong the battery more than constantly running it dry). As to why it dropped from 30% to zip; I dunno. Doesn't happen to me, but I don't tend to let it go that low.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

There's no battery full beep. You can leave them connected permanently, and you won't degrade the battery (in fact it will prolong the battery more than constantly running it dry). As to why it dropped from 30% to zip; I dunno. Doesn't happen to me, but I don't tend to let it go that low.

The plot thickens.....

When I took the garmin out of my bag this evening, the bloody screen was blank again! Once again it would not turn on when I simultaneously pressed enter and quit

I have now plugged into the charger, and the indicator said 0% (it said 35% yesterday).

The garmin was in my gear bag in the boot of my car all day - it was chilly this evening, but certainly not freezing - is there any chance that the watch does not like any prolonged exposure to low temperatures, and loses its charge as a result?

thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Garmin connect site is down at the moment.

Krusty...fix it now, I neeeed to upload my miles.

robinph wrote: »
    G
    Krusty...fix it now, I neeeed to upload my miles.
    Fix it? I think I only went and f***in broke it!

Fix it? I think I only went and f***in broke it!
    Fixed it. I found this at the back of the server:

200507_mice_electrical_wires.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

^ Hamsters asleep on the job.

Site seems to be back up, but I cannot upload anything new either from the ANT agent or manually trying to xfer. Has anyone else uploaded stuff this evening?

Might just be that I'll have to wait until tomorrow when everything has been turned off and on again...again.

PGL wrote: »
    The plot thickens.....

When I took the garmin out of my bag this evening, the bloody screen was blank again! Once again it would not turn on when I simultaneously pressed enter and quit

I have now plugged into the charger, and the indicator said 0% (it said 35% yesterday).

The garmin was in my gear bag in the boot of my car all day - it was chilly this evening, but certainly not freezing - is there any chance that the watch does not like any prolonged exposure to low temperatures, and loses its charge as a result?

thanks
    Just checking: You do turn off the GPS when you're not using the watch, right? I have used my watch skiing at temperatures of approximately -25'C without any problems. Sure, the battery life may be impacted in cold conditions, but it shouldn't discharge. i.e. once it warms up again, normal battery status should resume. I wonder do they replace the battery with re-conditioned units? To be honest, my watch would rarely be below the 30% mark, as I would usually hook it up to a charger after each run and leave it there (for this type of battery, regular charging prolongs the life). My 405 has been running smoothly for four years so far, and I reckon the battery life is still good for around 6 or 7 hours of GPS activity.

I'd continue to monitor it problems persist, be prepared to send it back (make sure you do this within the warranty period).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Re older activities not loading.

Found the solution on garmin forum.Seems to be an IE9 problem. Turn on "Compatability View" at the right handside of the address bar,between the search and refresh tabs. Looks like a little broken page.

Might have been better not to bother... now I can see how much faster I used to be :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Hi all,

I got my wife a 110 for christmas and since she has begun to use it the screen keeps fogging up during use ????

Is this a problem that it will need to go back for and if so will i just send garmin an e mail with the serial number and go from there ?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I got my wife a 110 for christmas and since she has begun to use it the screen keeps fogging up during use ????

Is this a problem that it will need to go back for and if so will i just send garmin an e mail with the serial number and go from there ?

My 405 does this very rarely, and only under extreme conditions (long run, starting in very cold weather and finishing in very hot weather). If your wife's 110 is doing it often, it sounds like a problem with a seal. Best to get in touch with Garmin support for an RMA number and send it back to them.

Advertisement