Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling your wedding/ bridesmaids dresses ?

• 03-04-2013 2:46pm
    Site Banned Posts: 12 janetc

looking at Adverts.ie during lunchtime, I noticed quite a few adverts for the above. I would never sell my wedding dress as I use it as a gauge for my weight ! (4 years on I can still squeeze into it and he loves removing it !)
    But to go and ask your Bridesmaids for the dress back so you can sell it is so mean ! I would be so embarresed to ask my sister and 2 friends for the dress back !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

This space for sale. One time offer. €25.00
    Don't miss out on this unique offer to buy this space. Now YOU can have your witty remark right here on page one of the thread where you are going to get ALL the THANKS!
    Remember, Just €25.00 secures you thread immortality, in a nice neighbourhood.
    No swops.

Anyone? €22.50?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 janetc

OldGoat wrote: »
    Don't miss out on this unique offer to buy this space. Now YOU can have your witty remark right here on page one of the thread where you are going to get ALL the THANKS!
    No swops.

Anyone? €22.50?

?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

OldGoat wrote: »
    No swops.

Anyone? €22.50?

Will you take €3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

@oldgoat: Swap for my ads?

I know you said no swaps, but I'm offering to swap anyway. (oh yeah, and €25 my way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

This space €19.99, far better than that one above.

OP perhaps consider that most women don't want to sell their wedding dress as they've dreamt about it since they were a little girl. But some women may have to sell it out of financial necessity. So count yourself lucky when you say "I would never sell my wedding dress" whilst clearly casting judgement on those who have to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I'd probably just rent one. Actually I wouldn't need one, if I ever get married it will be in Vegas!

You should get yourself a measuring tape and weighing scales, sell the dress!

Is it like a big achievement or something not to get fat after your wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

janetc wrote: »
    looking at Adverts.ie during lunchtime, I noticed quite a few adverts for the above. I would never sell my wedding dress !

I didn't see the point of holding on to mine as ill never wear it again. I gave mine away to a charity who will auction it off and put the money into the charity, so at least it was put to good use instead of being stuck in my wardrobe

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I know a lot of people that donated or sold their wedding dresses. Some of the time it was because the marriage broke down so they didn't see the point in keeping it. Some women just genuinely don't care and would rather someone else get some wear out of a dress they're never going to use.

Either way, what does it matter?

Also, how do you know the bride is intending on keeping the money from the sale of the bridesmaids dresses? She could just be selling on behalf of her bridesmaids.

I was fat before my wedding, just not fatter !:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

It saves on Divorce proceedings i hear

LizT wrote: »
    be selling on behalf of her bridesmaids.

Eh no, The Bridesmaids did not pay for them, So you get them back, sell them, and give an envelope with cash inside to each of them ? What bubble do you live in ?:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I had no bridesmaids, so that particular question never arose.

I had bought my dress for around €80 from ebay, so there's little point to selling it on. And I kind of like knowing I've still got it somewhere. A bit sentimental, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

People actually put on their wedding dresses after the wedding?

Mine is in the attic. I'll sell it at some point.

Eh no, The Bridesmaids did not pay for them, So you get them back, sell them, and give an envelope with cash inside to each of them ? What bubble do you live in ?:D

No bubble, have heard of people paying for their bridesmaids dresses themselves, especially when the budget is low.

LizT wrote: »
    No bubble, have heard of people paying for their bridesmaids dresses themselves, especially when the budget is low.
    Well If they bought them themselves, you could not ask for them back as they belong to them, So your arguement is totally irrelevent :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I know people who keep it for their daughter to wear, to make into christening gowns, who need to sell it, who want to sell it (why do I keep writing sell as seel!!) who donate it to charity. Many reasons for doing things with your dress. Do with as you please, it is your property after all!

The bridesmaids dresses is a question mark, depending on if the ladies asked you to sell it, if the ladies are selling themselves etc

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

People actually put on their wedding dresses after the wedding?

Cost per wear perhaps? Makes sense really. :D

Well If they bought them themselves, you could not ask for them back as they belong to them, So your arguement is totally irrelevent :confused:

Well no - she said they might have asked the bride to sell them all in one go, so it's perfectly relevant.

The point is, there are many many reasons why someone would sell their bridesmaids dresses or their wedding dresses. I know one person who sold her bridesmaids dresses because the wedding didn't go ahead, for example.

Well no - she said they might have asked the bride to sell them all in one go, so it's perfectly relevant.

The point is, there are many many reasons why someone would sell their bridesmaids dresses or their wedding dresses. I know one person who sold her bridesmaids dresses because the wedding didn't go ahead, for example.

If the wedding was called off, Then go and sell as they would be brand new and never worn, Thats a different scenario though

• Advertisement

If the wedding was called off, Then go and sell as they would be brand new and never worn, Thats a different scenario though

You're missing the point.
    There are many scenarios - you don't know any of them but you think anyone selling their bridesmaids dresses must be mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

OH donated hers to a missionary in Africa, nuns out there let local girls use it on their wedding day. thought it was a lovely idea....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Meh, I bought mine on ebay, and sold it again afterwards on ebay... for more than I bought it for. Win win. It's expensive enough without hanging onto a useless dust gatherer.

People who keep them are hoarders. So There.

Thanks for completely missing my point. I said the bride could be selling them on behalf of the bridesmaids. It might be more attractive to people to be able to buy three/four dresses together instead of a single dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Some of the adds say brand new dress never worn. I'd feel sad wearing a dress that someone had for their wedding that possibly fell through :(

granted though some of them do say I seen another dress I liked better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Honestly?

Based on the lengths some women go to to fit into their dress and the amount who simply stop making an effort after marriage and kids, it would appear to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Some of the adds say brand new dress never worn. I'd feel sad wearing a dress that someone had for their wedding that possibly fell through :(

granted though some of them do say I seen another dress I liked better.

Yeah a friend of mine changed her mind about her dress and put the original one online to sell. I'd say that happens fairly often.

Yeah a friend of mine changed her mind about her dress and put the original one online to sell. I'd say that happens fairly often.

There was an article in either the times or the independent about it a few weekends ago. One woman got pregnant and had to sell her original dress, another had a lot of illness in the family I think and had to postpone her wedding a few times and didn't feel right wearing her original dress. It was an interesting read actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I would love my fiancee to buy a second hand dress. It would only have been worn once and would save us quite a bit of money that we could then spend on booze and hookers in Vegas during the honeymoon.

• Advertisement

You're missing the point.
    There are many scenarios - you don't know any of them but you think anyone selling their bridesmaids dresses must be mean.

''Only worn once'' in an ad is a dead givaway that the nuptuals did take place

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement