Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does anyone join the priesthood anymore?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Lol. "The Humanist Society of Ireland" -- I'd rather not go to one of their self-serving "funerals" thanks: A ceremony designed to accentuate the very worst of a human grieving, ignore God and ignore the passage of the soul. A humanist "funeral" exists to fulfill the needs of the congregation; not the deceased.

See, now you're just trolling. Up until this post you almost had me convinced, you scallywag.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

"410,593 priests in the world in 2009 compared to 405,009 in 1999. The number of diocesan priests among these increased by over 10,000 while the number of those belonging to religious orders fell by nearly 5,000."

How does that rise of something around 1.5% figure when adjusted for population increase over a decade?

The Good News is a message that everyone should hear, regardless of race, colour, country or creed.

It's not the Good News.

It's just old news.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Custardpi wrote: »
    Ireland really isn't that racist compared to many countries, despite what some would have you believe. If less people were going to mass in those areas it would be far more likely to be because the elderly true believers were dying off rather than the colour of the priest's skin. The whole confusing of religion & race is bad enough when it comes to the cries of "islamophobia". Lets not give the Catholic zealots that stick to beat us with as well.

Maybe your right but I know 3 Catholics. 1 of which doesn't go to mass because the local preist is black and he admits that is his only reason for not going.

DarkJager wrote: »
    And don't forget the hundreds possibly thousands of unnamed boys abused by the pedophiles in his precious church. But sure he's a pedo sympathiser, what good is it trying to talk to sense in to someone so unashamedly obnoxious and thick?

What do you mean hundreds possibly thousands. At a low estimation its in the millions just since the 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

GarIT wrote: »
    What do you mean hundreds possibly thousands. At a low estimation its in the millions just since the 90s.

I'm speaking of Ireland, the victims that have come forward so far and the uncountable unknown who have not come forward or have possibly died before their voices could be heard.

DarkJager wrote: »
    I'm speaking of Ireland, the victims that have come forward so far and the uncountable unknown who have not come forward or have possibly died before their voices could be heard.

Its one orginisation though it would be wrong not to count all the crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Off topic, how any of ye are even considering the posts of this Ecce_Agnus_Dei is beyond me. An account not more than two weeks old, post exclusively anti-atheist comments, on april fools day of all days. :pac: If there was ever a more obvious troll I've not seen it.

On Topic, There are a few of them ordained every year maybe 3-5 from what I hear. Certainly nothing like it was and I can see this number dropping in the years to come. That being said, eastern european countries still have quite a strong catholic society. Lots of priests being ordained over there according to some of my colleagues. This is all conjecture of course. But there seems to be still a good amount of people from around the world joining up despite the lapse in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Custardpi wrote: »
    Luke 4.12: "Do not put the Lord your God to the test". The whole evidence thing doesn't really work with the hardcore sky-pixie followers. Faith i.e. the ability to ignore contradictory evidence & reject reason, is seen as a virtue.

Let's not forget that 'he' dwells outside space and time. (impossible to find)

And 'he' works in mysterious ways. Here the church has covered it's ass in the certain event that your prayers are not answered by the 'creator of the Universe'.

If I started a religion, I would want plenty of followers, increasing my wealth and power. Then I might go down the route of the RCC and have my headquarters declared a sovereign state. Niiiiice.

The really simple followers are easy to spot. They're the busy-bodies trying to 'save' others by proselytising. Ironic really, since leaving organised religion has 'been saved' written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Okay I'm pretty young, 22, and I have to say that I have never met a priest under 40 or heard of anyone joining the priesthood in my lifetime. Apparently it was a big thing to have a priest in the family and it wold seem that they were one of our biggest exports.

There was an episode of 'Hector Goes. . .[holy] ' which looked at the church in Ireland. Hector interviewed three young trainee priests/ semanarians outside St. Patrick's College Maynooth.

Personally, I find it strange for a young man to want to be a priest in this day and age, but I'm not surprised that there's a small few.

Decent career, if you're asexual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Religion, to me is still like the X-Files in that I want to believe?

But if your intention is to spread good will instead of bad willy then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

There was a lad I used to work with to joined the priesthood two years ago. He was in his early twenties and was pure camp. I felt so sorry for him.

He stopped drinking so he would be 'tempted' while drunk. Also we worked in a supermarket and he was on checkouts where he refused to sell condoms to a couple onetine. He got alot of shtick from management over that...:pac:
    I'm a Christian. The souls of atheists are in mortal danger. It's my duty to inform them of this danger. Now Christianity has other priorities aside from trying to reach out to those who think they know better (such as helping the poor), but evangelising to non-believers is still important. The Good News is a message that everyone should hear, regardless of race, colour, country or creed.

That you would prefer not to hear the message Christ is irrelevant.

As a Christian your soul is in danger. Western/Eastern religions are deficient as they do not practice the proper Khalsa (code of conduct) and as a christian you fail to practice Naam Simran daily and engage in Seva in the correct manner.

Only by practicing the correct meditation can one truly find your internal rhythm and experience the true name of God (Ek Onkar).

Of course many cultures have their own religions and believe their religion is the 'right one'.

I'm not anti-Christian, just as I am not anti-Sikhism or Buddhism... I just don't believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I'd just like to remind contributors that vocations are up worldwide.

I understand it's difficult for ye to imagine what might go on outside this crappy little isle that has exported sex monsters throughout the world.

I started this thread simple to find out if anyone knew any young priests in this country, I will not dispute whether or not vocations are up because I don't care.

Is the sex abuse Ireland's problem then seeing as we were the ones exporting sex monsters? What about the documented sex abuse cases in Kenya, Tanzania, Phillipines, Austria, Belgium, Croatia, France, Germany, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Norway. Poland, Slovenia, Sweden, GB, Canada, Mexico, the U.S. austrailia, New Zealand, Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Peru perpatrated by priests of all nationalities.

This is a Church problem, and to state anything else is an insult to the victims of the horrific abuse that was swept under the rug for far too long. As a lay person the churches response to these victims is an utter disgrace and it honestly makes me sick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_sex_abuse_cases_by_country

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Only by practicing the correct meditation can one truly find your internal rhythm and experience the true name of God (Ek Onkar).

I've been to there before. Just outside Clonsilla. God left that place a long time ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Seriously was just asking a question, has anyone heard of anyone young joining the priesthood in recent years, cause it seems like all the ones I have known are like eternally 83 years old.

its more socially acceptable nowadays to go on a sex holiday to Thailand than to join the priesthood. Who else remembers going to confession and asking what do ye get for a blowjob, and the answer being 2 mars bars and a packet of tayto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Ah cmon ted...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

GarIT wrote: »
    With the level of racism in Ireland, especially in the west
    WTF is this bullsh1t???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I met a Female priest in her 30s.
    Obviously not Catholic, I think CoE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The OP obviously doesn't live or has even been to Rural Ireland. Boggers still love the church - go to any church in any bog-****hole on a Sunday and it'll be full to the rafters with little bog-monkey families. Going into the priesthood is still the occupation of preference for boggers, as priests are still adored and treated as gods amongst the bogger population.

banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Orizio wrote: »
    The OP obviously doesn't live or has even been to Rural Ireland. Boggers still love the church - go to any church in any bog-****hole on a Sunday and it'll be full to the rafters with little bog-monkey families. Going into the priesthood is still the occupation of preference for boggers, as priests are still adored and treated as gods amongst the bogger population.

This should be in the 'Unpopular Opinions' thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

There is a pretty lazy assumption that no young priests are being ordained in Ireland, nobody is in training to be a priest and that there are no young priests. These are all incorrect.

The most lazy, inward-looking assumption is the silly notion that the church is somehow "dying out".

There have never been a time in the history of the Catholic Church where there have been more believers and more priests to minister to these believers - in more countries than ever before.

People (hopeless believers or optimistic church-haters) who only look at the perculiar Irish situation are fooling themselves. Undoubtedly the numbers of young priests are way down - but we in Ireland have been over-supplied with priests for at least a century! The sizes of Irish dioceses and parishes by international standards are ludicrously small!

To address the OP's genuine query:

Check out this blog (news on new priests and brothers in the Dominican Order): http://irishdominicanvocations.blogspot.ie/

One notable year for them was 2009 when 13 new novices were received http://irishdominicanvocations.blogspot.ie/2009/09/reception-of-novices-saint-marys-priory.html

Ordinations, though much rarer than they were in the past still happen year-in-year out.

Even as we speak - TODAY - 4 new deacons (they'll be ordained priest in under a year, all going well)
    http://www.catholicbishops.ie/2013/04/02/deacons-ordained-pontifical-irish-college-rome/

In short - priests are getting older and ordinations are fewer in Ireland but they still happen quite regularly. Internationally, there have never been so many priests!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

whats wrong with ordaining women will get more young lads at confession

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm a Christian. The souls of atheists are in mortal danger. It's my duty to inform them of this danger. Now Christianity has other priorities aside from trying to reach out to those who think they know better (such as helping the poor), but evangelising to non-believers is still important. The Good News is a message that everyone should hear, regardless of race, colour, country or creed.

That you would prefer not to hear the message Christ is irrelevant.
    My immortal soul is only in mortal danger? Phew!

What I want to know is, when the priest goes on about jesus dying on the friday, and rising 3 days later on easter sunday...that is two days later, what is the extra day I've been missing out on all these years, and on the fecking weekend and all :pac:

There is a pretty lazy assumption that no young priests are being ordained in Ireland, nobody is in training to be a priest and that there are no young priests. These are all incorrect.

The most lazy, inward-looking assumption is the silly notion that the church is somehow "dying out".

There have never been a time in the history of the Catholic Church where there have been more believers and more priests to minister to these believers - in more countries than ever before.

People (hopeless believers or optimistic church-haters) who only look at the perculiar Irish situation are fooling themselves. Undoubtedly the numbers of young priests are way down - but we in Ireland have been over-supplied with priests for at least a century! The sizes of Irish dioceses and parishes by international standards are ludicrously small!

To address the OP's genuine query:

Check out this blog (news on new priests and brothers in the Dominican Order): http://irishdominicanvocations.blogspot.ie/

One notable year for them was 2009 when 13 new novices were received http://irishdominicanvocations.blogspot.ie/2009/09/reception-of-novices-saint-marys-priory.html

Ordinations, though much rarer than they were in the past still happen year-in-year out.

Even as we speak - TODAY - 4 new deacons (they'll be ordained priest in under a year, all going well)
    http://www.catholicbishops.ie/2013/04/02/deacons-ordained-pontifical-irish-college-rome/

In short - priests are getting older and ordinations are fewer in Ireland but they still happen quite regularly. Internationally, there have never been so many priests!
    People say it is dying out in Ireland, because it is. Nobody claims it doesn't garner huge amounts of new followers in poor countries that can be taken advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm a Christian who was raised Catholic but I honestly don't know if I can call myself a Catholic. I'm a Christian who prays and believes absolutely in God, Jesus, the entire Christianity story - but I simply don't believe the institution which was supposed to represent it, is actually representing it.

No one can speak for God. but you know that story of Jesus destroying the marketplace in the temple after seeing the money changers pulling dirty tricks on their customers, saying that they were perverting what the temple is supposed to represent? I honestly believe that if the second coming happened tomorrow and he saw what had become of his church, he'd be doing that to the Vatican itself.

The teachings of today's church and the behavior of its leaders is so far removed from the actual word of Jesus Christ as described in the very Gospels they read at mass every Sunday that it's literally impossible to reconcile the two. The church prioritizes small disagreements and turns them into massive, all consuming issues, while ignoring the central message that Jesus brought us, of humility, compassion, respect, peace, and love for our fellow human beings.
    Just to take one example, Jesus said very little on the subject of sex, and he certainly never suggested that anyone who used a condom had committed a mortal sin. He DID, however, suggest that anyone who even attempts to corrupt a child would be better off jumping into the sea with a rock to weigh them down.

Which of the above issues has the Church enforced their rules on, and which of them has it quietly swept under the carpet? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

God is all forgiving and i'm a Jedi Knight so its 'win win' for me lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

People say it is dying out in Ireland, because it is. Nobody claims it doesn't garner huge amounts of new followers in poor countries that can be taken advantage of.

No - some people, in my experience, are of the opinion that the whole church is crumbling and will be gone within their lifetime. Those people should ponder the 1950 year history of the church and think again.

There is also a school of thought that believers in developing countries aren't the same as believers in developed countires. Or (as you've alluded to) that they are someone too powerless and voiceless to make a difference or make up their own minds. That what matters is winning the numbers game amongst the economically rich nations. People are people.

There is also a school of thought that believers in developing countries aren't the same as believers in developed countires. Or (as you've alluded to) that they are someone too powerless and voiceless to make a difference or make up their own minds. That what matters is winning the numbers game amongst the economically rich nations. People are people.

No, I think the point is that in developing countries where people have fewer choices and are more vulnerable to an insecure life, that the choice of priesthood is a more attractive proposition.

Even more so when you consider how conservative some developing countries are, and how personal freedoms are limited in comparison to the first world. In other words, there's more to gain and less to lose.

People are people as you say, but all people do not have equal choices in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

It will always have some following here, albeit a shadow of what it was in its prime.
    People after a decade or two of not going to mass start going again after they have kids. They'll get their ankle biters baptised, go thru the motions of going to mass again and do the whole communion/confirmation thing because of the 'oh what will the neighbours think?' mindset.

They're fast running out of new priests over here, unless they soften up the rules, recruit retired people that are after having families already or import them or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Orizio wrote: »
    What would these be in your screwed up up little mind???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What I want to know is, when the priest goes on about jesus dying on the friday, and rising 3 days later on easter sunday...that is two days later, what is the extra day I've been missing out on all these years, and on the fecking weekend and all :pac:

Jeez, it's embarrassing to point this out, but "...on the third day he rose from the dead...", NOT 3 days later.

Day 1: Friday
    Day 2: Saturday
    Day 3: Sunday

Advertisement