Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA star's drink-driving charge is withdrawn

Options
  • 28-03-2013 9:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

THE DPP has dropped motoring-related charges against former Kerry footballer Darragh O Se.

The former All-Star midfielder, of Mounthawk Manor, Tralee, had faced charges of drink-driving, dangerous driving, having no insurance and no driving licence.
    Mr O Se (37) was stopped by Garda Deirdre Barry on February 3 last on the N7, at Black- church, Kill, Co Kildare.
    But when the case was called, at Naas District Court, Chief Superintendent Pat Mangan told Judge Desmond Zaidan that the cases against the famous footballer were being withdrawn, on the instructions of the DPP.
    "Why?" the judge asked.
    Chief Supt Mangan explained documents had been shown to gardai to indicate that Mr O Se's insurance and driving licence were in order.
    The charges of dangerous driving and drink-driving were withdrawn for "procedural reasons".
    Mr O Se's solicitor Conal Boyce told the court that it may not be the last time the matter came before the court.
    He said that the move had followed submissions from him.
    Mr O Se was not in court to hear the charges being withdrawn.
    "Should he at least appear," the Judge asked, but Mr Boyce explained that Mr O Se was not there on his advice and that "there was no suggestion of any disrespect to the court".
    Serious
    "These are two serious allegations," the judge noted.
    "I just don't understand it," he added."
    He then asked if he would dismiss the matters "without prejudice".
    But Chief Supt Mangan said he was withdrawing the charges.
    "That's the instructions I have from the DPP," he said.
    The judge struck out the charges, but said: "I don't know what these procedural reasons are."

Full article here

This is a disgrace, its the same old story, if your well know or a bit of celebrity the laws that apply to the rest of us don't apply to u. This is another stain on the gards in this country & the judicial system. Had this been an ordinary citizen a custodial sentence would be on the cards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

leonidas83 wrote: »
    THE DPP has dropped motoring-related charges against former Kerry footballer Darragh O Se.

The former All-Star midfielder, of Mounthawk Manor, Tralee, had faced charges of drink-driving, dangerous driving, having no insurance and no driving licence.
    Mr O Se (37) was stopped by Garda Deirdre Barry on February 3 last on the N7, at Black- church, Kill, Co Kildare.
    But when the case was called, at Naas District Court, Chief Superintendent Pat Mangan told Judge Desmond Zaidan that the cases against the famous footballer were being withdrawn, on the instructions of the DPP.
    "Why?" the judge asked.
    Chief Supt Mangan explained documents had been shown to gardai to indicate that Mr O Se's insurance and driving licence were in order.
    The charges of dangerous driving and drink-driving were withdrawn for "procedural reasons".
    Mr O Se's solicitor Conal Boyce told the court that it may not be the last time the matter came before the court.
    He said that the move had followed submissions from him.
    Mr O Se was not in court to hear the charges being withdrawn.
    "Should he at least appear," the Judge asked, but Mr Boyce explained that Mr O Se was not there on his advice and that "there was no suggestion of any disrespect to the court".
    Serious
    "These are two serious allegations," the judge noted.
    "I just don't understand it," he added."
    He then asked if he would dismiss the matters "without prejudice".
    But Chief Supt Mangan said he was withdrawing the charges.
    "That's the instructions I have from the DPP," he said.
    The judge struck out the charges, but said: "I don't know what these procedural reasons are."

This is a disgrace, its the same old story, if your well know or a bit of celebrity the laws that apply to the rest of us don't apply to u. This is another stain on the gards in this country & the judicial system. Had this been an ordinary citizen a custodial sentence would be on the cards.

How in gods name (if she exists) can the actions of the DPP be reasonably described as a "Stain on the Guards". It is akin to saying that the actions of Larry Murphy are a stain on the GAA ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wonder what happened there

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

What happened there is "Do you know who I am"....the law in this country does not apply to GAA players.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-gaa-star-cleared-after-botched-arrest-26817829.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He is a GAA man and therefore of good character from a good family who "done" great work for "de" community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Heaven forbid one of the Gods of GAA and no doubt a pillar of the community should have drink driving charges brought against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 merdock

DPP is seperate to the guards... If the guards wanted to pull it I some how very much doubt that they would have brought it all the way to court.... Comeon now OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

ah the usual anti-GAA bullsh1t, no surprises here.

And this is the same group of people who want support from the public because they are being treated unfairly by Alan Shatter? They are only loyal to themselves and GAA hacks who are "stars" in their own ego:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It's an utter disgrace and he's an extremely lucky boy because Zaidan has a no qualms about flinging people in jail for driving offences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

There may have been a few legal arguments in why the charges were struck out, cant think of any myself, so the courts should have been shown why and how they were, This type of carry own only throws more petrol on the fire of the who you know brigade in this country.

• Advertisement

iDave wrote: »
    Not anti GAA, anti gombeenism

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It would appear all the documents were produced.

Sounds like an article stirring sh&t up.

iDave wrote: »

If he killed your mother\wife\child while drink driving would you consider it anti GAA to question why charges were dropped?

murdock wrote: »
    DPP is separate to the guards... If the guards wanted to pull it I some how very much doubt that they would have brought it all the way to court.... Come On now OP.

The garda can also contact the dpp to say the matter is resolved and its not worth the courts time in going ahead with the prosecution.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Zaidan has a no qualms about flinging people in jail for driving offences.
    He also has no qualms headbutting marco materazzi in the world cup final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

He also has no qualms headbutting marco materazzi in the world cup final.

Terrible!
    Well played.

listermint wrote: »
    It would appear all the documents were produced.

Sounds like an article stirring sh&t up.
    Did you read the drink-driving and dangerous driving bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Did you read the drink-driving and dangerous driving bits?

Do you have proof of both ?

Yeah.

Thought not.

Wonder if it was a Dublin gaa player up before a court in Kildare would he have gotten of, no way I say, It be of to mountjoy with him,Them lillywhites would do anything to win.

LOL LOL LOL relax.

listermint wrote: »
    Do you have proof of both ?

Yeah.

Thought not.
    That he was charged? I only have what's mentioned in the article. I'm just wondering what documents you're talking about that would lead to those charges being dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

realies wrote: »
    The garda can also contact the dpp to say the matter is resolved and its not worth the courts time in going ahead with the prosecution.

So what's your point?

These sort of incidents happen every week of the year. Why is there only outrage when it's a well known person involved???

Looks to me like due process was followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 merdock

realies wrote: »

Guards have F all pull over the DPP.. There's more to this the meets the eye but the comment of 'stain on the guards' is unfair.

I have no doubt there was foul play in this, especially if the guard charged him with dangerous driving there obviously was a case of dangerous driving, they don't throw those charges at people willy nilly... But I would suspect one of the Kerry mafia got to someone in the DPP as the Chief Superintendent said himself in court when asked ' I don't know, these are the directions I got from the DPP'.

Like I said above guards have f all pull over DPP, it's a case of in this country what the DPP says goes an how dare you argue with me is the DPPs attitude.

If anyone has a case to answer to it should be the DPP they contact.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Sure ya can't ban him from driving, how would he get to training?

Maybe he had a permit?

murdock wrote: »
    Guards have F all pull over the DPP.. There's more to this the meets the eye but the comment of 'stain on the guards' is unfair.

I have no doubt there was foul play in this, especially if the guard charged him with dangerous driving there obviously was a case of dangerous driving, they don't throw those charges at people willy nilly... But I would suspect one of the Kerry mafia got to someone in the DPP as the Chief Superintendent said himself in court when asked ' I don't know, these are the directions I got from the DPP'.

Like I said above guards have f all pull over DPP, it's a case of in this country what the DPP says goes an how dare you argue with me is the DPPs attitude.

I never said the Garda had power over the Dpp so relax there, But if you think the Dpp or Garda don't talk about some cases or look from direction in which way the case is going and in where they want to go you would be very much mistaken, seen it happening many a time in the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Absolutely disgraceful! It would have never got as far as court unless there was substantial evidence to charge him with!
    So with regards to the drink driving charge there is obviously evidence to show he was intoxicated based on breath or blood analysis. There is a lot more to this story than the public will ever find out! Shall we expect to hear more about this story or will the media be silenced?
    A great wee country it is, and we hear about corruption in Africa? Our lot would give them a good run for their money!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ah sure his life Would be ruined, he needs the car to drive up and down from training

Valletta wrote: »
    So what's your point?

These sort of incidents happen every week of the year. Why is there only outrage when it's a well known person involved???

Looks to me like due process was followed.

That's the joy of being a well known person,It has up,s as well as downs and unfortunately or fortunately depending on your viewpoint you are expected to be more of the righteous sort and behave in a manner in which to others you can show example.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

merdock wrote: »

DPP would have to pull the case though surely if they thought that, due to (lets say for arguments sake) incorrect process on arrest or documents not being correctly completed at the time of arrest, they would lose if they prosecuted.

Would have thought it possible enough for any Garda to suddenly find errors in due process to force the DPP's hand...bit embarrassing for them alright and maybe a slap on the wrists...but not beyond the realms of probability.... possibly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Maybe he had a permit?

Those things are handy to have but are only valid within the Kerry county bounds - otherwise you leave yourself wide open to abuse of the system!

FWIW, I don't see the story here - loads of people have charges dropped every day for various reasons. O'Se obviously employed a good solicitor, who spotted a procedural mistake by The Gardai or DPP that led to charges being dropped. In general, I would say the DPP is LESS likely to drop a charge against Dara O'Se than an ordinary civilian, on the basis that there will be a stink kicked up when it becomes public!

Advertisement