Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?

Comments

On a normal day it takes an hour to get from my bed to the DART.

15 mins - Get up, turn on the hot water, get breakfast.
    15 mins - waiting for the water to heat, might get a coffee or just watch TV.
    15 mins - Grab some clothes and then shower. Hope everything I need is still in my bag.
    15 mins - the walk down the the DART.

Admittedly, I let my hair dry naturally, which is pretty lazy. And I don't wear makeup usually either. I still manage to freak out at the last minute about my keys every morning though and end up rushing to the DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I notice everyone talking about drying hair after shower. Would you not use a shower cap to keep the hair dry and save all that time?

I like washing my hair in the morning! I know everybody says it's bad for your hair but if I left my house without washing my hair, I'd probably be arrested! :pac: I get crazy bed head that only wetting the hair can fix!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

I'm terrible in the mornings, it kills me to get out of the bed and I end up being a few mins late for work every day.

I don't eat breakfast, so on a bad morning I can be ready in about 20 mins if I have to be, that would be just sticking my hair up, brush teeth, wash face, tone, moisturise and minimal makeup.

This past 2 mornings I've been making an effort though so it's the same as above except shower and wash hair, put on body lotion, blow dry hair and put on nicer make up. This routine takes 70 mins! I've also been making an effort to wear nicer clothes and heels, and I have to say it makes a huge difference in how I feel about myself and how people treat me. I need to try and keep it up, but knowing me I'll sleep in tomorrow :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

Depends if I've washed my hair the night before or not. If I haven't, it could take me up to two hours to get ready by the name I dry and straighten my hair. Feckin nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I don't understand people that are always late for work or who constantly hit snooze. I mean has that one minute extra in bed really made such a difference , that you need to be late and rushing.
    Me, alarm goes off and I just get out of bed and into shower to wake me up. It annoys me when people are constantly late into work ( unless it's transport related) while the rest of us make it in on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I always set my alarm to 45-60 mins before I need to leave, normally end up hitting snooze a few times. For work at 9 my routine consists of rolling out of bed at anywhere between 8.15 to 8.40. If 8.40 I pee, brush my teeth, wash my teeth, throw on my clothes (have a uniform so no thought put into dressing, just find a clean pair of jeans for one job, full uniform for the other), grab the bag, put on my glasses and brush my hair, make sure I'v keys and phone with me and 2-3 min walk to work. If I get up earlier I grab a bowl of cereal or 2 slices of toast. Usually have a shower the night before, if I'v to be up at an unearthly hour I have a quick shower to wake up better.

So between 45-15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Up at 6am shower,, dry hair,do make up get dressed and all that takes me just over 30 mins. Then I have a cup of tea, catch up online quickly and I leave about 7:05am.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If I am in the office, it's up at 6:30, shower, dress, makeup, have a cup of tea with the Oh and leave no later than seven fifteen

If working from home, I fall out of bed at 8:25, throw on some clothes, and am at my desk at 8:30 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

bluewolf wrote: »
    I used to wear it, and it takes a while of blotchiness and whatever before your skin adjusts again. Once it has, you'll look just fine without it.

I have awful skin I don't think it would ever adjust! I tried going without it for a good while and it made no difference so I just try and use a small amount now..takes so much effort in the mornings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I am the world's worst procrastinator. A non-shower morning could take me an hour if I wasn't in a rush :rolleyes:

A shower morning takes an hour, because my hair is really thick so it takes for ever to shampoo, condition and rinse. I don't even dry or straighten it, the curls just won't be tamed.

Breakfast rarely happens on college mornings, but when I'm working I know I'll need it.

I used to be a morning person, then college happened :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Back in my commuting days -
    Would shower the night before.

I would get up about 7:30 make bottles,get dressed,wake the child get her dressed,wait for himself to get ready and leave the house at 8 for the train.
    No formal clothes or make up or fancy hair for work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm so jealous of the people who don't wear make up!! Sometimes I'm not bothered with it but then I look so awful. My skins just looks terrible and I feel strange and self conscious. Especially in work when I'm dealing with members of the public!
    You only think that you look terrible because you're not used to seeing yourself without it. Next time you're on holidays give your skin a break from it and you'll see a difference. I've never worn makeup and people often compliment me on how good my skin is. I put the fact that I haven't had a proper zit since puberty down to the fact that I don't clog my pores with makeup :D

When I had to wear it for an interview, and I wore the bare minimum, I felt really conscious of it. I was too freaked out to brush hair out of my face in case I smudged it, and it felt really odd on my skin. I didn't look like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 elsewhere

Mondays and tuesdays I get up at 6.30 stick on my running stuff and go for a 30/40min run then once I get home at about 7-7.15 I have a shower, dry hair put on small amount of make up (or none if I'm not bothered)... then by about 7.35 I have breakfast for about 15 mins. Then leave for the dart at 7.50.

If I don't run in the mornings I get up at 7.30 quickly wash, do hair, etc. have breakfast and out the door again at 7.50.

Im surprised so many people don't have breakfast! I love my porridge/muesli and tea... couldn't function throughout the morning without it!! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Get up, dress, get son up, feed daughter, check mail, spend time playing with children, have a coffee and leave in 80 min ideally...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Up at 8.15. Clean face/brush teeth/hair.
    Out the door at 8.30 for desk and weetabix/coffee at 9.
    I have a shower in the evening. I just cannot face a shower in the morning-Puts me in a bad mood :o.
    Ill do it every so often when I have to i.e. there wasnt time in the evening. I am in absolute awe of people who put so much effort into their grooming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If I'm having a shower and washing hair, maybe 90 mins.

Shower, moisturise, quick dry of hair, section hair, dry it properly, straighten hair, foundation, powder, eyebrows, apply eye-shadow using 4 brushes, eyeliner, 3 coats mascara, blusher, lipstick, jewellery, perfume.

All while eating cereal and checking stuff online. Then brush teeth, dress, feed cat, leave.

If no shower, maybe 45 mins.

Probably seems terrible to most people! Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I always shower the night before. I couldn't be giving up valuable sleep time!

I get up at 8.45 if I'm walking to the leisure centre and 9am if I'm cycling to be there at 9.45.

My morning routine is get up, go loo, get dressed, have breakfast, make sure all of my gear is packed and off I go.

EDIT: I do brush my teeth after breakfast too. Just in case anyone was thinking I don't! :o No make up for me. I've never owned a piece of make up in my life. The stuff is alien to me...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm so jealous of the people who don't wear make up!! Sometimes I'm not bothered with it but then I look so awful. My skins just looks terrible and I feel strange and self conscious. Especially in work when I'm dealing with members of the public!
    I'm like that. Even if I just threw on a bit of tinted moisturiser and powder I'd feel better. I work under unforgiving fluorescent lights and make-up just makes me feel more polished! I would never trowel it on but I always wear some at work, just to give me a little confidence boost. :)
    Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I don't understand people that are always late for work or who constantly hit snooze. I mean has that one minute extra in bed really made such a difference , that you need to be late and rushing.
    Such logic has no place in my world first thing in the morning! :p
    On the 'plus' side, I'm very very rarely late because we clock in in my job. If you're late, you don't get paid the time you weren't there! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Pythia wrote: »

Shower, moisturise, quick dry of hair, section hair, dry it properly, straighten hair, foundation, powder, eyebrows, apply eye-shadow using 4 brushes, eyeliner, 3 coats mascara, blusher, lipstick, jewellery, perfume.

All while eating cereal and checking stuff online. Then brush teeth, dress, feed cat, leave.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Jaysus, I couldn't be doing with hair straighteners and makeup in the mornings. Or at all, usually
    I hardly ever wear makeup - I certainly can't imagine wearing it everyday. Is it not a total pain in the arse? Do you get dependent on it, i.e. 'Oh I can't go out without putting my face on' kind of thing?
    Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Same as me. I never wear makeup or do hair for work

Lots of people work in jobs where looking polished is part of being professional.
    TV first thing in the morning is my idea of hell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I'm not sure I agree that you have to wear makeup to look 'polished'. I have very clear skin and decent hair and always look professional going into work - but that doesn't involve painting my face. I am clean and groomed but on a very low maintenance level; it doesn't make me look less 'polished'.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pinkhop

1 hour.

Alarm goes off at 7.. Snooze for 5.
    Shower, washing hair, clean teeth 7.05 to 7.25
    Then I turn on the tunes to bop along to while drying my hair and doing my make up.
    Last 10 mins are spent picking out clothes and putting them on

Out the door at 8 and im always 15 mins early for work

Breakfast is eaten at work at 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Susie_Q wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree that you have to wear makeup to look 'polished'. I have very clear skin and decent hair and always look professional going into work - but that doesn't involve painting my face. I am clean and groomed but on a very low maintenance level; it doesn't make me look less 'polished'.

What's with the 'inverted commas' and self-righteous references about not 'painting my face? You never wear make-up, that's fine but implying that women are high-maintenance for wearing a little make-up to work and questioning their ability to leave the house without it is a little OTT I think.

Maybe it's just me but I find passive aggressive attitudes more high-maintenance than any slick of lipstick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Shower and wash hair - 15 minutes
    Makeup - 5 minutes
    Dry and straighten hair - 15 minutes
    Decide what to wear, get dressed - 5 minutes
    Pack bag, shove a very quick breakfast into me - 5 minutes

So I guess, 45 minutes overall. Seems like a lot really! :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It takes me about a half hour to get from bed to car.

How much of that time am I actually 'getting ready'?

Less than half of it. I spend a lot of time wandering around, chatting to the baby if he's awake, getting a cuddle from my hubby or generally spacing.

Yeah, I could be more efficient, but meh.

(I eat breakfast at work so don't have to eat before I leave the house)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It takes me about a half hour to get from bed to car.

How much of that time am I actually 'getting ready'?

Less than half of it. I spend a lot of time wandering around, chatting to the baby if he's awake, getting a cuddle from my hubby or generally spacing.

This is a vitally important part of the morning routine and totally counts as 'getting ready'... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I work nights(7on; 7off) so my routine is always a bit upside down. When I am working I usually get home at about 8.20- mess around on the internet till about 9.30 snooze till about 2ish, get up at 3ish nd then lounge around till I have to get ready for work.:( Have a shower about 7 eat dinner get dressed and out the door.

And sadly as I am going through a really exhaustion phase my weeks off are pretty much the same:(

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭niamhx

I work nights(7on; 7off) so my routine is always a bit upside down. When I am working I usually get home at about 8.20- mess around on the internet till about 9.30 snooze till about 2ish, get up at 3ish nd then lounge around till I have to get ready for work.:( Have a shower about 7 eat dinner get dressed and out the door.

And sadly as I am going through a really exhaustion phase my weeks off are pretty much the same:(

Are you me ? I do your routine pretty much three days a week.

Getting ready takes me 30 mins, I shower before bed even on my nights off. So my morning is easy. All I have to do is teeth, make up, get dressed and I've still 15 mins for a drink and a smoke :) I have it down to a fine art

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Pythia wrote: »

You are basically me, bar the eye shadow and checking stuff online.

I'm a good hour and a half to leave the house as well. Firstly because I'm footling around (like the above) and also because I can't leave until the house is at least acceptably clean. So make the bed, put on a wash, clean the counters etc.

I get wound up if I have to rush out though, taking an hour and a half to get ready may seem horrific to a lot of people, but it sorts my head out for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Do many of you do alot of work at home? Cause I do alot.

Advertisement